Rarity/value of Non-Greatest Hits prints of GT3

• Thread starter Qvale
  • 2 comments
United States
United States
I got Gran Turismo 3 when it came out, so it isn't a Greatest Hits print or any of that. I've heard that Non-Greatest Hits versions are particularly uncommon and/or worth some money. Is that true?

For some games, the "black label" copy is exceedingly rare, for other games it's more common than the the Greatest Hits edition. GT3's black label copy is really, really rare. Luckily, if you see one on Kijiji it'll be the same price as a Greatest Hits copy. GT4's black label copy is actually much more common, to the point where a Greatest Hits copy is a collectors' item. GT1's black label copy just might be one of the rarest forms of any GT game.

As far as I know, there are four variations of GT3 in the US market, two black label and two Greatest Hits.

They are:

Black label:
Pack-in, red box with a car headlight (same as the PAL/Japanese release), solid red disc.
Standard retail, box has the back end of a blue Acura CL, blue tinted racetrack image on disc.

Greatest Hits:
Standard GH box, red tinted racetrack image on disc
Standard GH box?, blue tinted racetrack image on disc, only differences between it and and the standard retail version is that the area surrounding the Playstation2 logo on the bottom of the disc is red, the 1-900 number for tips and hints has been deleted, and it has a different item number from the previous release (SCUS 97512 instead of SCUS 97102)

The blue disc GH appears to be the rarest, I have not been able to find another one on Ebay or any other site, and there isn't much information available regarding it. I'll post a pic of it if you guys want me to.

For some games, the "black label" copy is exceedingly rare, for other games it's more common than the the Greatest Hits edition. GT3's black label copy is really, really rare. Luckily, if you see one on Kijiji it'll be the same price as a Greatest Hits copy. GT4's black label copy is actually much more common, to the point where a Greatest Hits copy is a collectors' item. GT1's black label copy just might be one of the rarest forms of any GT game.
There's even a sub variation in the black label release of GT1. The first print run has the tips and tricks line number in blue, while the subsequent print runs had it in black text.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back