RAZR's lapboard and car review thread (Ford GT by JTQ and Vantage GT3 by Real Replica reviewed 2/27)

• Thread starter RAZRr1275
  • 111 comments
Yeah, it has so much power :lol:, thanks for being brave enough to drive the Zero 1000 Civic, the car needs very patient driver when it comes to going full throttle, even the pro drivers at Best Motoring drove rather cautiously when exiting corners at Tsukuba. The real car has even stiffer spring rates - 20+kg/mm at the front alone ( unable to replicate in GT6 ), if that spring rate is used in GT6 ... :eek: the car would be even more bouncy :lol:

I can't imagine what was the guy at Top Fuel thinking when the car was built back in the late 90's. The Civic was a quarter mile monster, able to post 12 seconds on a wet test track ( still raining ) :D. It had severe understeer issue when racing at Tsukuba due to brake getting weaker ( fade ) after a few laps. At the Best Motoring Tsukuba Battle, the car was given S tire against cars with normal tires as it's FF car with gigantic turbo and relatively skinny front tires :lol: Have you driven it at Tsukuba ? That's what the car was built for :) A Spoon EK Civic tried to beat it's lap time some time after that with 1:02s lap time ( albeit slower ) without using turbo ( also driven by Dori Dori ), different tuning approach, I will make that very Spoon Civic as well, so these 2 can battle it out in GT6 :)
That's insane that they would put springs that stiff on it. I'll have to give it a go on Tsukuba tomorrow. I also have a review of your SLS AMG GT3 tune in the works but I wasn't happy with the laptime I put down today so I'm going to give it another go tomorrow. Should be in the mid to low 6:40s.

This is a review of the Mercedes SLS AMG GT3 by Ridox Replica tunes

Well this thing hates the ring and the ring hates it. It is absolutely mental. Any little bump destabilizes it, it has a tendency to kick the rear out in banked corners, and absolutely loathes the karousel and Pflanzgarten.

That said, this thing is fun. It feels very connected to the track and its very free in the sense that it feels like I'm just pointing it in a certain direction that it goes in. There's a wee bit of understeer through corners but it's more of a safety than an intervention in doing what you want to do. It wants to oversteer a bit on exit if you jam on the throttle too hard so having good throttle control is essential. The brakes are fantastic so trail braking is advised to make it turn in well. The car tends to act a bit unruly when you're not giving it an input so you want to either be braking or on the throttle at all times. Driving this car is all about rhythm - you have to make sure your lines are precise as doing that will make your next corner easy. If you don't do that well then it gets a bit harder for you in subsequent corners although this car is a bit friendly if you make mistakes as the resultant oversteer is gentle and the understeer isn't terrible

Well...I'm back. After a bit of a NBA2K14 addiction, I popped in GT6 today and tried to beat some of my times. If you've been paying super close attention you may notice that the asterisk is gone from the RS2000 laptime. I beat it by 5 seconds in the latest run. Also, of note, my driving skill has improved a bit it seems so I'm going to make one change about reviews. I'll no longer be using ABS. This will not affect laptimes as in the testing that I've done they've either been the same or faster but never slower as my brake technique has gotten a lot better. As I'm a bit short on time, I'll no longer be taking requests and will just generally review what I feel like driving. I'll try to get a diverse assortment of cars though so that shouldn't be an issue.

This is a review of the Acura NSX Type R '02 by Motor City Tunes

If there's one word to describe this car it's eager both in a good and bad way. The good way shows up when this car is on cold tires oddly enough. It feels as if it might understeer on entry and then mid corner the rear just rotates perfectly. It ends up being slower than the car on warm tires which is much more aggressive on entry and is prone to bigger slides but far easier to control.

Speaking of slides, the way that this car drives is unique. It likes to be turned in quite hard and doing so will cause it to ever so slightly drift into corners. It loves to rotate and that can be used to your advantage if you point it towards apexes skillfully. It's an absurdly fast car as evidenced by it placing near cars of similar PP ranges on better tires. There aren't any traces of on throttle oversteer so throttle control is still key but not as important as with more powerful cars. The brakes are about medium difficulty to lock so you have about to 50% application before things can get messy but the car stops very quickly.

This is a review of the Toyota 86 GT '12 by Motor City Tunes

This is a car that's fast if you drive it at a good pace but don't try to push it. I find that with this car if you push to hard it understeers a lot mid corner and you can occasionally get some oversteer because Motor City got it to rotate quite a bit.

That said it's weakness in over rotating can also be a strength. If driven in a not too aggressive fashion the understeer is diminished and it's pretty fluid through the corners. There's still a trace of mid corner understeer but it's not very bad at all. Other than the bit of understeer it's a pretty neutral car and an overall great drive although I did prefer the NSX.

This is a review of the 2008 Mini John Cooper Works Challenge by Real Replica Tunes

This is another case where I have little to say because of how impressive this car is. Yes, it's on racing hards but it's still a 211 HP Mini that started slowing down during the uphill portion of the final straight on the ring because it doesn't have the power. It's absolutely stunning that this thing cracks the 8 minute barrier.

The car is pretty much dead neutral. Not a trace of understeer to be found and no snap oversteer. Surprisingly, the front tires didn't get cooked at all either. It's a really relaxing drive with very little drama and consequently, loads of speed. Brakes are great and don't lock easily at all which means that very deep and hard trail braking works quite well. The one key to driving it is that you have to conserve momentum since it doesn't accelerate very quickly so having nice rhythm is a must.

This is a review of the Caterham 7 Superlight R500 '14 by Real Replica Tunes

This car is a monster -- it feels like a supercar. Really fun to drive but at the same time extremely challenging.

It enjoys rotating -- too much at times. During high speed corners you have to be extremely careful as the rear loves to drift out. Due to the torque from the supercharger it likes to kick the rear out once it gets into high rpms as well. That said, this car is a joy to drive. The cornering speeds are ridiculous and it topped out at 170 MPH on the back straight so it's no slouch in the speed department as well. It's very agile but the tendency of the rear end to get a bit unstable means that you end up driving it a bit below the limit as it's extremely difficult to complete a lap on a track as long as the ring while going all out. The car also doesn't enjoy banked corners like the Karousel and has a tendency to want to spin on their exit.

The oversteer that the car has either comes on entry if you turn in too hard or on exit once the engine starts revving again. Otherwise, it's a very smooth car to drive and it's extremely consistent in how it responds. The thing that impressed me most about this car are the brakes. They rarely lock and they stop the car in a heartbeat so you can brake way later than you anticipate.

This is a review of the 2013 RUF 3800S by Real Replica Tunes

A fast car and a very fun one too. It has fantastic brakes so trail braking late is ideal although locking is definitely a concern in this car and when it does lock the rear slips out.

It also has a significant degree of on throttle oversteer which isn't difficult to sort but good throttle control is a must. And it has a tendency to -- surprisingly -- oversteer on corner entry if it doesn't like the way that you do it with the rear end fully breaking out mid corner. This is mostly a problem going downhill while the brakes are on the edge of locking and you have to turn in hard to make the corners quickly. That said, it's relatively easy to correct so what you end up with is a very involving drive that is fast and happens to be a massive handful.

This is a review of the Aston Martin Vantage V12 GT3 by Real Replica tunes

This is the slowest of the GT3 cars. It's a decent drive but has a few problems

1) It's heavy. This one can't be helped but at some times the rear drifts and weight shifts suddenly due to the size of the car and it just isn't smooth enough.

2) The suspension is too soft. It's kinda hard for me to place this car on the track because I can barely feel it. Steering is pretty soft and not much feedback comes from bumps so its hard to gauge where the car is and how it likes what I'm doing.

As far as brakes go, they work quite well and I didn't have any locking issues. The only thing about this car is that it understeers a lot when it's under trail braking.

Generally, this car's disposition is to be fairly neutral (maybe a trace of understeer) on entry and midcorner with some oversteer on exit.

It's a good car and pretty fast but perhaps not all that it could be.

This is a review of the Ford GT '06 by JTQ Tunes

Typical tune by JTQ. Very fast, very responsive, very stiff. The one thing that varied is that while JTQs tunes are normally pretty free this one had a bit of understeer that was mostly present mid corner. Other than that it's pretty neutral.

It likes to rotate a lot so you have to be careful with the rear end when you're on entry otherwise it might break loose and destabilize the car a bit.

Brakes lock a fair amount and are decent but you will have to brake earlier with this car than you would others due to the sheer amount of straight line speed that this car has. Overall a great tune

This is a review of the Lexus ISF Nurburgring Package '12

So I decided I'd have a go at the real life laptime for this car and and finished about 4 seconds off. There's still more to get out of this car but it's difficult.

The reason for the difficulty is that this car, contrary to its name does not seem set for the ring. It bumps and skips around everywhere making it very demanding. In addition, the rear end has a tendency to want to kick out either in entry or on exit which , combined with the lack of smoothness in the overall ride, makes it a bit sketchy to drive at times.

It benefits a lot from being driven in a very active fashion - you have to anticipate when it's going to bite you and get on top of it quickly otherwise you're going to pay. If you do, it has a fair amount of grip for you to be able to do it. It just takes a very careful hand.

Performance mid corner is very much dictated by what happens on entry. If the rear snaps there, you're going to be managing a drift, if it's smooth on entry it'll stay that way mid corner. Sometimes it understeers if you push too hard midcorner but you never get any additional oversteer that wasn't there on entry.

So here is the tune I did for the 458 Italia I was telling you about:

600pp
696HP
1,300Kg
44:56 weight distribution.

Ferrari 458 Italia- Nero Daytona. I wanted a flat paint job so I used Nero Nemesis from I believe a Lambo.
Aero Kit type A
Custom Rear Wing- Type B
OZ Racing Italia 150 Wheels in Black

Suspension:

Fully Customizable Suspension
Ride Height 95-95
Spring Rate 13.10-20.60
Dampers (compression) 3-1
Dampers (extension) 3-1
Anti-Roll Bars 1-1
Camber Angle 0.5-0.0
Toe Angle 0.0-0.20

Racing Brakes
Balance 6-5

Transmission:

Fully Customizable Transmission
Top Speed 205
1st: 3.030
2nd: 2.130
3rd: 1.595
4th: 1.280
5th: 1.050
6th: 0.890
7th: 0.750
Final Gear: 5.130

Drivetrain:

Fully Customizable Mechanical LSD
Initial Torque 5
Accel Sensitivity 15
Braking Sensitivity 20

Triple Plate Clutch Kit

Power:

Limiter 100%
Engine Tuning Stage 1
Sports Computer
Racing Exhaust
Isometric Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Intake Tuning

Body:

Downforce 100(standard)-220(210 with Sports Tires) Adjust lower if more steering is needed for the track
Ballast Weight 24Kg
Ballast Position -15%

Weight Reduction Stage 2
Carbon Hood (either color)
Window Weight Reduction

Notes:

I did most of my testing at Silverstone, Daytona Road Course, and Bathurst.
I tuned the car using both Sports Soft and Racing Soft tires.

With Racing tires the car is unreal! On certain tracks (Silverstone) it developed a slight on-power understeer, but this can be taken out by reducing the rear wing to 218. Any lower and the back doesn't feel as planted. It will just go anywhere you put it on track.
Some of my times with Racing Soft:
Bathurst: High 1:50s
Silverstone: Low-Mid 1:50s
Daytona: Mid-High 1:30s
I took it around the Ring, and put in a sub 7 minute lap... With a rollover! Im sure you can push it much faster because you know the track much better than I do. Just watch out for the kerbs!

With Sports Soft tires the car handles well. It doesn't have the same braking power or initial turn in as the Racing tires, so it requires a slightly different style to drive. I would suggest reducing the rear wing to 210 with sports tires.
Times with Sports Soft:
Bathurst: Mid 2:00s
Silverstone: Low-Mid 2:00s
Daytona: Low 1:40s

The car will get up to about 210mph with the current gearing configuration. This is just about topping out on long straights such as Daytona or Bathurst. If heading to somewhere with a longer straight like the Ring, I would reduce the Final Drive to fit the track better. Otherwise its good pretty much everywhere.

Hope you enjoy it! The car not only handles well, but just looks sick!

Here's my Tommykaira ZZII '00 Tune:

654pp
962HP
920kg
50:50 weight distribution
.95kg/HP

Tommykaira ZZII- I painted mine Matte Black
Custom Rear Wing: Standard B mount, Large D wing, Large D winglet; Height: -4 Width: +6
OZ Racing Superforgiata Wheels- I painted them Vivid Blue Pearl

Suspension:

Height-Adjustable, Fully Customizable
Ride Height: 75-80
Spring Rate: 8.00-7.00
Dampers (Compression): 2-6
Dampers (Extension): 6-3
Anti Roll Bars: 5-1
Camber Angle: 1.5-0.5
Toe Angle: -.26-0.15
Racing Brakes: 7-6

Transmission:

Fully Customizable Transmission
Max Speed: 217
1st: 3.150
2nd: 2.050
3rd: 1.500
4th: 1.120
5th: .900
6th: .720
Final Gear: 4.100

Drivetrain:

Fully Customizable Mechanical LSD
Initial Torque: 5-5
Accel Sensitivity: 10-10
Braking Sensitivity: 10-10
Torque-Distributing Center Differential
Torque Split: 10:90

Power:

Power Limiter 100%
Engine Tuning: Stage 3
High RPM Range Turbo Kit

Body:

Downforce: 150-215
Weight Reduction Stage 3
Window Weight Reduction

Notes:

Tuned using Racing Soft Tires. Only aid was ABS 1. Tested on Silverstone and Daytona Road Course. Did test on the Nurburgring, but had to change the following:

Suspension:
Camber Angle: 2.0-1.0
Toe Angle: -.28-0.13

Transmission:
5th: .870
6th: .660

Body:
Downforce: 150-200

Being a 4WD car I found it had a ton of understeer. I was able to tune most of that out. On normal tracks the car is well planted in the rear and rotates nicely. Around the 'ring it has a touch of understeer initially, but can oversteer with too much throttle input mid-corner. It definitely needs a light foot, and a short shift before hammering down the straight. It has more than enough power to make up for the short shift and half throttled exit. Just make sure to brake early before corners to rotate well through them, otherwise the understeer will become very prevalent.

This car is a great 650pp Racer! Will blow away many cars when driven well. Its also one of the best looking cars, IMO. I was able to achieve lap times of:
Daytona: 1:30.5ish
Nurburgring: 6:15ish

So the car is definitely FAST!! Peaks at around 230mph with standard track gearing, and reaches 250mph on the 'ring with the special gearing.

Enjoy!

This is a review of the Ford GT '06 by JTQ Tunes

Typical tune by JTQ. Very fast, very responsive, very stiff. The one thing that varied is that while JTQs tunes are normally pretty free this one had a bit of understeer that was mostly present mid corner. Other than that it's pretty neutral.

It likes to rotate a lot so you have to be careful with the rear end when you're on entry otherwise it might break loose and destabilize the car a bit.

Brakes lock a fair amount and are decent but you will have to brake earlier with this car than you would others due to the sheer amount of straight line speed that this car has. Overall a great tune

Thanks man, I want to start playing gt6 again. (Un)fortunately I don't have a PS3. I loved that car more than most others I tuned. It's using a factory transmission, with (IIRC) shorter ring & pinion (bigger # on final drive)

It is a fun car at Apricot Hill

Back