Reaching The Apex

Philippines
Manila, PH
TakuKanonji22
This is a story based on GT5. It's all about an ordinary player who wants to race in the big leagues and there's another person who is a pro racer and the two meet in a twist of fate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Title: Reaching the Apex

Page 1

Tokyo, Japan. Cherry blossom petals fall from the trees at the parks all over the city. People gather to see this wonderful phenomenon that happens during spring. At the midst of the harmony, someone is in a hurry...

A schoolboy who rides on a bicycle is so much in hurry that the people in his way have to jump out of the way in order not to be hit by the bicycle. The young man's name is Takanori Kanonji. He's a 19 year old high school student with brown spiky hair wearing a black long-sleeved uniform and pants. He speeds up the bike even further.

Takanori: "Crap! I have just 4 minutes left before the truant bell rings!"

He turns right in a corner with precision and smiles.

Takanori: "Hugging the apex; just like what I do in GT5!"

He arrives at the high school in Aoyama. He sees the late students also hurrying to get in the building. He slides his bike and parks at the bicycle station. Then he looks at his watch.

Takanori: "Whew! I have 30 seconds left! But I have to run!"

As he is running, he bumps to a girl wearing a sailor fuku with a miniskirt. She has a long red hair with a hairband on it. She had dropped her books as a result.

Takanori: "Oh, I'm sorry. Let me help you pick them up."

Upon taking closer look to the girl, he sees her large cleavage and her beautiful thighs as he continues to pick her books up. He hands them back to her and the girl shows a smile.

Girl: "Thank you... Oh my name is Makoto. Nice to meet you."

Takanori: "Save the greetings. We'll meet later, okay? I'm in a hurry."

Takanori starts to run as Makoto looks on continuing to smile.

Makoto: "He's... cute."

At the afternoon when everyone is dismissed, Makoto is waiting at the school's gates. Takanori, riding on his bicycle, goes out and looks at her again. He raises his hand as a sign of greeting and Makoto returns it with a smile.

Then a silver Bentley Continental Flying Spur sedan arrives and Makoto gets in. As she closed the door, she rolls down the windows.

Makoto: "We'll meet tomorrow, okay? Don't be late."

Takanori: "Okay."

The luxury sedan leaves the premises and Takanori heads to the opposite direction leading to his home.

Takanori: "Damn, she's rich!"

He arrives in his home in Shibuya at 5 in the afternoon. He places his bike beside his Championship White Honda Civic Type R EURO (FN2). He gets in the house and immediately heads straight to the kitchen to help his mother prepare for supper.

Takanori's Mom: "How's school? Did you get late?"

Takanori: "I didn't get late thanks to my knowledge in racing games and I met an insanely rich girl."

Takanori's Mom: "Oh that's good. Maybe you should start dating her!"

Takanori: "Forget it. I'm sure she has an ultra-rich guy who owns a Ferrari that dates her."

Takanori's Mom: "You know, you spend too much time playing on your PS3. Maybe you should start seeing people. Your handsome face is a nice asset you have, you know?"

Takanori: "Nah, I've been busted so many times."

After putting all the ingredients into the pot, Takanori washes his hands and heads to his room upstairs. He turns on his PS3 Slim 360GB unit and inserts his Gran Turismo 5 disc. As he goes to GT Mode, he receives 7 paint chips and a 130% bonus.

Takanori: "I just hope getting rich in real life is just the same as GT5. Sigh..."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile, on the other side of the globe, at the hills of the Nurburgring, a loud V8 grunt and burble can be heard along the horizon.

A silver Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG GT3 zooms past at the high speed section before the Aremberg hairpin. The crowds gather to see some GT3 race cars practice at the Nordschleife in preparation for the Nurburgring 24 hour race. As the SLS slows down, flames spit out from the car's exhausts as it downshifts. The race car graced through the Aremberg hairpin at 110 KM/H.

After a long run, the car goes into the pits. Stepping out of the car is a race car driver wearing a silver race suit with a big AMG logo on it and a helmet of the same color. The driver's name is Axel Eisenberg. Axel has been racing for over two years and he won almost all of his races in his career.

Axel takes the helmet off to cool down for a while. He has a black short hair and a youthful face with heterochromic eyes. A crew manager named Tim approaches Axel.

Tim: "So, how's the car, Axel?"

Axel: "I like it. Though I think the suspension has to be adjusted especially when clearing the bumps at the Nordschleife."

Tim: "I see. Well, you can take a break for now."

Axel: "Understood."

Axel heads in and grabs a bottle of cold water to drink. Then he grabs a towel to wipe his sweat.

Axel: "So Tim, when is the race?"

Tim: "Next week."

Axel: "I see. Well, I have some time to kill after this."

Tim: "Not so fast. We have a press conference tomorrow."

Axel: "Aw nuts... Oh well, maybe after that."

Tim goes back at the car with the mechanics to adjust the suspension as Axel had suggested.

End of page 1

Last edited:
A moderator needs to do it. Once they see it's in the wrong place it should get moved.

Page 2:

Takanori goes online and looks for someone to race with. He creates a session and sets the race at Tokyo R246 for 3 laps, then he restricts the Performance Points level to 600 PP with no tuning restrictions and tires are limited to Sport Softs. He waits for a few minutes for someone to show up, then finally a username "harajukuQueen" joins the session.

Takanori: "Oh good, someone pops up!"

Then he waits for another few minutes for another racers, but no one shows up. He picks a fully-tuned blue Lamborghini Countach LP400 and switches its tires to Sports Softs as per regulations. He enters the race and sees his opponent using a fully-tuned yellow Ferrari 512BB at the pits.

Takanori: "Oh great! The rivalry of the 70s!"

He immediately starts the race. After a few seconds, the 2 cars are at the starting line. Takanori presses the R2 button repeatedly to rev his car and his opponent does the same. After 3 counts, the race has started.

At the long straight, the 2 cars are even in terms of speed. Approaching the first corner which is a 90 degree right turn, Takanori presses the L2 button for brakes and the Countach slows down, however the 512BB does not and brakes late.

Takanori: "Fool, you are going to enter that corner too fast!"

However, the 512BB performs a magnificent, smokey drift at that corner.

Takanori: "What the!? Well, a 512BB can be fun to play with..."

But then, the Ferrari lets him pass. Takanori goes on full throttle.

Takanori: "Thanks for the show, but I shall not let you pass this time!"

At the second corner at the Meiji Memorial, the 512BB surprisingly keeps up. Takanori is just amazed at that move. His opponent overtakes him by drafting behind.

Takanori: "Whoa! Is that player using a steering wheel?" I gotta admit, I am not good against those who use steering wheels. I'm saving up for one right now."

Then at a long right curve, the 512BB once again executes a long drift that its smoke distracts him.

Takanori: "Stop playing with me!"

Then, at the next left-hand corner, the 512BB drifts once again but Takanori manages to keep up with grip driving and overtakes his opponent.

At the short straight, the Countach gains distance away from the 512BB and then Takanori slows down and controls the throttle input as his car passes through the 2 gentle left and right curves after that straight. However, his opponent is still hot on his tail.

Takanori: "Man, harajukuQueen is just too good!"

After blocking his opponent for a while, Takanori is once again overtaken by that 512BB by late braking and drifts once again at the hairpin just before the main straight.

He manages to take the lead back when he drafted behind his opponent. He crosses the line first and the 2nd lap has started. The Countach starts to pull away from the 512BB.

Takanori: "No 512BB can touch a Countach at the straights!"

He brakes late as he approaches once again at the first corner, but his car does not slow down enough due to the excess speed he gained through the slipstream. As a result, his car hits the tire wall.

Takanori: "Crap!"

The 512BB easily passes him at the first corner. It gains several car lengths away from him. But he opts to continue and catch up to his opponent.

Takanori: "You're freaking awesome, dude!"

However, despite his best efforts, he simply cannot keep up with the 512BB because he struggles to keep control of his Countach due to imprecise steering that an analog stick has. His opponent's car is quickly disappearing in his sights.

Takanori: "Oh well, I lose for now."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next morning, Takanori is at the school early this time as he promised to Makoto. He sits on a bench under a tree and yawns.

Takanori: "Crap, I slept late due to that race."

Then Makoto arrives and displays a smile as she sees Takanori. She approaches him and sits beside him.

Makoto: "You look sleepy."

Takanori: "Well, I slept late last night, but I have to keep my promise!"

Makoto: "That's good."

Takanori: "You know, you always smile as if nothing bad happened. Well, you're rich and you get everything you want."

Makoto: "Money does not make me happy. What makes me smile is when I see good and hardworking people around me. Tell me, what does your family do for a living?"

Takanori: "After school, I help my mother prepare Mochi for them to be sold tomorrow. Yeah, we sell Mochi."

Makoto: "Where's your father?"

Takanori: "He.... left us."

Makoto: "It's so sad to hear that."

Takanori: "I don't want to remember that again. Can we change the subject?"

Makoto: "Okay..."

However, the school bell rings. The two stand up.

Makoto: "I guess we have to talk later after school. I'm going that way."

Takanori: "Okay, see ya."

Makoto: "Meet me at the school gates later!"

Takanori: "Got it."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When everyone is dismissed, Takanori waits at the school's gates. Then Makoto appears.

Takanori: "Where do you want to go?"

Makoto: "Well, let's have some fun."

Takanori: "What!?"

She grabs Takanori's hand and brings him to the parking lot just in front of the school. She shows him a Rosso Scuderia Ferrari SP1.

Takanori: "Whoa... An SP1!? It's the only one in the world!"

Makoto: "Looks good, isn't it? Well..."

Then she takes out the keys and opens up the car.

Makoto: "...I own it!"

Takanori: "What the!?"

Makoto: "Hop in."

Takanori: ("First time I ride in a Ferrari with a hot, and uber-rich girl... I hit the jackpot!")

So Takanori gets in the passenger side of the car. Then Makoto starts up the car's engine and revs it high. The sound immediately catches the attention of the bystanders.

She puts the Mannetino switch to "CST Off" and buckles up her seat belt.

Makoto: "Buckle up. Seat belts save lives, you know?"

Takanori takes a big gulp and nods as he complies to her request. She moves the car and exits the parking lot. Then it exits the small road and enters a main road.

Makoto: "Hold tight, because you're going to experience full throttle in a Ferrari at the real Tokyo R246 track! Right now, we're at the main straight!"

End of page 2

There will be some pages that will have images on it since most of the cars that will be featured is not available in the game.

Page 3:

Makoto steps hard at the throttle as she starts her real-life tour of the Tokyo R246 in the GT5 game. Takanori tightens the grip on the leather seat.

Makoto: "You'll love the leather that Ferrari puts on their cars."

6944239196_cc67f1d9d4_c.jpg

Takanori: "Nice acceleration!"

Makoto: "Of course! That's a 4.3 liter V8 with 490 HP for ya. Okay, we're approaching the first corner!"

7090307709_86159a7c4a_c.jpg

Takanori's body suddenly lunges forward thanks to the carbon ceramic brakes that offer unparalleled stopping power.

Takanori: "The brakes! These are carbon ceramics, right?"

Makoto: "Yep! And they cost almost a million yen to replace them all. Heehee..."

Takanori: "Wow, that sounds a lot!"

Makoto suddenly turns the steering wheel to the right and then the car goes into drift.

7090307113_2770ba0120_c.jpg

Takanori holds on as the amount of G-forces terrorize him.

Takanori: ("These G-forces, I haven't felt that in my Type R!")

Makoto hits the accelerator hard and then the car once again brakes as it approaches the second corner.

Makoto: "Here goes the second corner!"

6944239024_283441204a_c.jpg

She rapidly changes down gears via the paddle shifts mounted behind the steering wheel. Then she once again abruptly steers left to perform another drift.

7090313377_20cf4641a1_c.jpg

Takanori looks at the window and sees the car is very close to the sidewalk.

Takanori: "Hey, that's too close to the sidewalk. Whoa!"

His body swings to the left as the car performs another drift at the next corner.

7090308885_0544a3f43d_c.jpg

Takanori: "Waaaaaaaahhhhhh!!!"

Makoto: "Oh seesh, I thought men love to drift their cars?"

Takanori: "I own a hatchback and I don't drift it! I have never experienced drifting before!"

Makoto: "Hold on tighter because the next corner is longer!"

She brakes late and then the car performs a stunning long drift at that long, right-hand corner.

7090309513_28a51edb63_c.jpg

Takanori: "Eeeeeeeeeek!"

Makoto: "You scream louder than a girl."

At the next corner, the car drifts almost hitting the guardrails.

6944240860_c09e683b26_c.jpg

Takanori: "You're gonna scratch that expensive paint!"

6944240206_7319b2641d_c.jpg

Makoto: "Not a chance."

Takanori: "Are you a pro racer or something? You're good..."

Makoto: "My father taught me the basics of racing. Oh, I also play GT5. My username is harajukuQueen."

Takanori suddenly remembers the night that he raced her in the game. He is shocked at that revelation.

Takanori: ("She's the one that I faced last night? Unbelievable!")

7090313541_8196239303_c.jpg

Then the car blitzes through the high speed consecutive corners at 160 KM/H.

7090310585_01495dcb8c_c.jpg

Makoto: "What's surprising is that there's almost no traffic that bothers us despite the fact that it's a weekday."

Takanori: "No kidding. I bet you do this everyday."

Makoto: "Of course not! Hehehehe..."

The SP1 slides again at the next corner.

7090308357_2cc6a6e06b_c.jpg

Then the car reaches the final corner and Makoto once again lets her car drift.

Makoto: "Here's the last drift!"

Takanori: "Oh my god."

7090307499_7d5100cc3b_c.jpg

Back at the main straight, Makoto eases on the accelerator to end the tour.

Makoto: "Well, this ends the Tokyo R246 tour."

She sees that Takanori has passed out.

Makoto: "You're weak. How are you going to be a real man if you're like that?" Sigh..."

7090308587_8f46c66241_c.jpg

She stops her car at the side and she pushes Takanori so as to wake him up.

Takanori: "Wha???"

Makoto: "You're hopeless. I suppose you're not going to help your Mom prepare Mochi. Anyways, I'll drop you off; just tell me the directions to your house."

End of page 3

These are just some of the cars that will be featured in the upcoming pages:

Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II (R32)
Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren (19 Inch Wheel Option)
Audi R8 LMS (Team Playstation)
Mini Cooper S Countryman

Page 4:

In Germany, Axel has just came home from his press conference. He's weary since he came from the other side of the country. He changes his clothes and hops on the bed to sleep. His cellphone on the table beside his bed rings but Axel does not mind it.

Axel: "I need rest.... Can't you just shut up?"

The phone keeps on ringing as he covers himself with the blanket.

The next morning, Axel wakes up at 9 am. He checks up on his phone as to who called him last night. The cellphone's screen displays a name called Katrine. Katrine is Axel's girlfriend for 2 years.

Axel: "It's her. She'll be mad again once I see her."

He places the phone down and goes to the bathroom to wash his face. After that, he goes down at the kitchen and prepares a hot cup of coffee. As he is slurping it, he hears his cordless phone ringing at the living room. He goes there and picks it up.

Axel: "Hello? Oh it's you.... Really? A track day at the Nordschleife? I'll be there in a moment!"

He drinks the remaining contents of his coffee despite the searing heat. Then he goes back at the bathroom of his bedroom to take a shower.

After dressing up, he goes down to the garage and gets in his gray Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren. The car leaves the mansion and goes straight to the Autobahn.

The SLR hits 320 KM/H at the derestricted area. It even manages to cut between the two trucks at that speed.

After a few hours of traveling, he makes it to the Nurburgring Nordschleife. He immediately enters the track and joins the fray of cars trying to set lap times.

6946063428_ef82a73245_b.jpg

At the starting point, the SLR goes at the left side of his opponent and then overtakes it at the first corner.

7092133385_4e454caf2e_c.jpg

Axel: "Sorry dude..."

Then the SLR overtakes another car and blitzes through the gentle curve at 170 KM/H.

6946065794_13054f1b3d_c.jpg

Then he sets his sights on his friend's blue BMW M3 (E92) which is just a few meters ahead of him.

6946065168_d35b71cb8c_c.jpg

Axel: "Dude, I'll pass you in an instant!"

The SLR is hot on the M3's tail after another corner.

7092132785_31c69e291c_c.jpg

Then it overtakes another car at the next corner.

6946066112_c70e161b5c_c.jpg

At the high speed section, the SLR leaves its opponents in an instant.

7092130969_f81647a6a8_c.jpg

Then, Axel's cellphone rings once again. He briefly looks at it and it seems that Katrine is calling him again. He ignores it since he concentrates on racing.

Axel: "Sorry my fraulein, I'll meet up with you as soon as I finish a lap here."

The SLR sweeps through the Aremberg corner at 110 KM/H. He sees a blue Audi R8 not far away.

The SLR immediately keeps up and pressures the R8 from behind.

7092131649_0f278233b6_c.jpg

The R8 blocks the SLR, but after clearing the 2 consecutive corners, the SLR finally passes it and kicks dust.

7092130689_7ee51fcfa5_c.jpg

Axel: "Eat my dust, R8."

Meanwhile, in Japan, it's dinnertime and Takanori's mother have prepared supper. She calls Takanori from downstairs. Takanori is playing GT5, but he pauses it so that he can join his mother.

At the dinner table, Takanori puts up a serious face as he sees sukiyaki and miso soup being served.

Takanori: "Why did you serve these?"

Takanori's mother: "It's your father's birthday, let's celebrate. These are his favorites."

Takanori: "Why are we celebrating for the person that left us? Have you forgotten what person told you? He made you cry!"

Takanori's mother: "He's still your father. Besides, you used to play piggyback ride with him, right? Pretending to be a driver as your father acts like a car?"

Takanori: "I've completely erased that. But okay, I'll eat them since you spent a lot of effort preparing these."

Takanori's mother: "Good boy. Itadakimasu!"

Takanori: "Itadakimasu..."

Takanori breaks the chopsticks and starts eating.

After a lap at the Nurburgring, he exits the track and hits the road. He calls up Katrine.

Axel: "Hey Katrine, sorry that I wasn't able to answer your calls. Can we have dinner?"

Katrine: "Just what the hell are you doing? I've been calling up to you since last night. Okay, meet me in Berlin. We have to talk."

Axel: "Got it."

Then Axel steps on the throttle hard and the SLR's supercharger whines once again.

Axel: "Berlin is far from here, but my SLR tells me that it will be nearby!"

After another few hours, Axel makes it in Berlin and he sees Katrine sitting on a bench. He parks his car and steps out. As he approached her, he stares at her black dress and her curly brown hair.

Axel: "Katrine."

Katrine: "Axel, I want to say something to you."

Axel: "Sure, what is it?"

Katrine: "Can we call it quits?"

Axel: "What!?"

Katrine: "I haven't felt that our relationship has been two years. It feels like it's just two days! Ever since you entered the world of racing, you've completely forgotten our relationship!"

Axel: "Sorry, my fraulein. It's just that I am preoccupied all throughout..."

Katrine: "If you think that will happen, we shouldn't formed a relationship at the beginning!"

Axel: "Please Katrine! Please... just give me a chance. I'm treating you to dinner tonight."

Katrine: "I'm not in the mood, Axel. That's all, I have to go."

Katrine walks away as Axel just looks on.

Axel: "Katrine.... I'm sorry."

Axel goes back in his car and leaves. As for Katrine, she is crying as she walks by.

End of page 4

Page 5:

It's a Friday, and many students are eager to go home to other prefectures on weekends. Takanori, however, does not feel like it. As the class has dismissed, he sits on a bench just under the cherry blossom tree.

Then Makoto approaches and sits beside him.

Makoto: "What's wrong, Takanori?"

Takanori: "It's Friday again..."

Makoto: "Shouldn't you be happy since it's the weekend? Hey, I saw your ride when I dropped you off yesterday. Why don't you bring it on a track day? An open track day weekend on Tsukuba Circuit will make your car do some stretching."

Takanori: "What's the point if my father's not around?"

He stands up and walks towards to the school's gates to go home. Makoto follows him and goes at his side.

Makoto: "What's with your father?"

Takanori: "I don't think someone like you would be interested about my family life."

Makoto: "Come on, you have to take off something like that from your chest!"

Takanori: "Okay.... My father and I used to go at Tsukuba every weekend. That routine started when I was just 5 years old. He brings his white Nissan Skyline GT-R R32."

6959976854_13493b804a_c.jpg

"Everyone was watching him attack the corners."

7106049419_25cbc75140_c.jpg

"Everyone complained about the R32's notorious understeer weakness, but Dad scoffed them off and called them amateurs. He attacks the corner apex every time."

6959976224_0d3e0af749_c.jpg

"I never take my eyes off at the car's movements. The car's moves makes you want to stare at it."

7106044719_2ab9b91503_c.jpg

"Lap after lap, he beats the course record. Even the supercar owners gave him respect."

"But then in an instant, he left us without a word. Even the R32 is not on sight. Sources say that he went to Europe to pursue his racing career, but he is said to be killed in an accident. But my mother told me otherwise..."

Makoto: "That's sad. What did she told you?"

Takanori: "He married another woman..."

Makoto: "I see..."

Takanori: "Ever since then, I never go back to Tsukuba every weekend. Even the other racers look for me and my father."

Makoto: "So your father used to race in Tsukuba in a white R32, huh? That's sounds familiar..."

Takanori: "You know him?"

Makoto: "Is there any chance that your father's name is Michiharu?"

Takanori: "Yes."

Makoto: "Wow! You know, my dad and your dad used to race together! You should follow your father's footsteps!"

Takanori: "How should I pursue my dream when the person that I used to inspire is not on my side?"

Makoto: "Wherever he is, he wants you to pursue your dream. You know, you must not quit! And you know what, I can help you!"

Takanori: "Really? How?"

Makoto: "There's a race in a newly-opened race track in the outskirts of Tokyo. Everyone can enter and it gives out a huge amount of cash for the winner. I have a car that's supposedly will be driven by my dad's hired race car driver, but the racer backed off due to other priorities."

Takanori: "So, I'm gonna be the racer?"

Makoto: "Of course! Come on!"

Takanori: "Wait, I'm not sure your dad is gonna like this. Are you sure?"

Makoto: "He will. Don't worry, besides you can use your skills in both GT5 and your experiences driving your Civic Type R. The car you'll be driving is also an FF layout car, so you'll be familiar with it."

Takanori: "Sounds good. Well, I have to go home and prepare, okay?"

Makoto: "Right! See you tomorrow! I'll pick you up at your home in the morning."

Takanori: "Got it. Bye!"

Takanori runs and waves his hand as goodbye. Makoto looks on and smiles once again.

Makoto: "I'll help you restart your dreams. Who knows, maybe you could find your father this way and talk to him."

End of page 5

Page 6:

The next day, Takanori puts his clothes on his knapsack. A doorbell rings, and his mother calls him out since Makoto has arrived to pick him up.

He goes downstairs and his mother approaches him.

Takanori's mother: "Take care, okay? It doesn't matter if you win or lose, just enjoy the race!"

Takanori: "I haven't had any circuit racing experience at all. But this is the start."

Takanori's mother: "Your father will be happy if he sees this... I just hope he's here."

Takanori: "Okay mom, I gotta go."

Takanori steps out and sees Makoto leaning on her yellow Ferrari 512BB.

Takanori: "You own that as well!?"

Makoto: "Of course! Now, shall we go?"

They leave the residence and head straight to the highway. Makoto opens the radio while Takanori leans back and stares at the oncoming cars.

Makoto: "When my father heard about this, he's eager to meet you!"

Takanori: "Really? Oh, that's nice."

Makoto: "You know, you could get your father's attention if you race. Who knows, he might as well reach out to you once you get popular!"

Takanori: "Do you think so?"

Makoto: "He'll never forget you. Besides, I think he has gathered up the courage to explain everything to you."

Takanori just looks up on the sunny sky.

Takanori: "I'm very much ready to listen to him. I don't hate him at all.."

Makoto: "That's good!"

After an hour of traveling, they have arrived at the circuit. At the pit lanes, Makoto's father, Gan, is waiting for them. Gan is fixing his necktie and then he orders the crew to work on the car to be used in the race. The two get out of the car and Gan approaches his daughter and hugs her.

Makoto: " Hey dad! Oh, here's Takanori, the boy I'm talking about yesterday."

Takanori bows down as a sign of respect.

Takanori: "It's been an honor to meet you, sir."

Gan: "You know what, your face reminds me of a man I used to race with..."

Takanori: "My father, huh?"

Gan: "Yes! I'm really delighted that Makoto got to know you and brought you here. Oh, let me show you the car you'll be driving."

So he leads Takanori and Makoto to the pit garage and shows him a red Mini Cooper S Countryman.

Takanori: "A MINI Countryman, huh?"

Makoto: "You're gonna like it. Don't let the car's looks fool you."

Gan: "It's been prepped. You should get in, as the race is going to start!"

Takanori: "Understood."

Gan provides him a race suit and helmet to wear. Takanori puts them on and and then enters the car.

Takanori: "Alright, the fulfillment of my dreams starts once again!"

The 3-lap race will start on a rolling start manner. Takanori is at the last position, as Gan requested. He and Makoto are at the pits watching.

Makoto: "Dad, why did you put him at the back?"

Gan: "Let's see if he has inherited his father's racing genes."

The race has finally started. Takanori pushes hard on the accelerator and locks-on a Toyota bB in front of him.

countryman1.jpg

Takanori: "Ooh... This car is quick."

The Countryman immediately passes the bB at the first corner.

countryman2.jpg

Makoto cheers on as she sees the Countryman tearing up the competition at the race footage shown at the TV screen inside the pit garage.

Then the Countryman passes a Mazda6 at the tunnel.

countryman3.jpg

Takanori: "Alright!"

But then his next opponent is several meters away, but Takanori keeps his foot planted on the accelerator on the mid-speed corners. The Countryman demonstrates its nimbleness which is a trademark of all MINIs.

Takanori: "This is like my Type R! It's surprisingly nimble!"

After the short high-speed area, the Countryman overtakes an S15 Silvia Spec S on the next corner and kicks up some dust.

countryman5.jpg

Takanori: "Eat my dust, it's tasty!"

Seeing the act on the TV, Gan smiles.

Gan: "His father used to kick up dust whenever he overtakes an opponent on the corners."

Then Takanori focuses on the next three opponents to pass on at the last corner.

countryman6.jpg

Takanori: "The main straight! Show everyone that this is an SUV that must not be messed with!"

The car immediately passes the three opponents. 2nd lap has started, and he has one opponent left to overtake.

The Countryman goes side-by-side with a Nissan Silvia S13.

countryman7-1.jpg

Then Takanori finally grabs the 1st place as he passes his opponent at the first corner.

countryman8.jpg

Takanori: "Alright! Now, I shall not let my guard down! See ya at finish line!"

The Countryman increases its distance away from its opponents all throughout the lap.

countryman10.jpg

Takanori: "This is a stepping stone to achieve my goal! Look out world, because here comes Takanori Kanonji!"

countryman11.jpg

End of page 6

Page 7:

Takanori enters the pits since the race is over. As he steps out from the car, Makoto rushes and hugs him tightly. Gan claps his hands in satisfaction.

Makoto: "You did it. It's your first blood!"

Takanori: "Eh... umm.... you can let go of me now."

Makoto: "Right."

So she did as he told and then inspects the car. While at it, Gan approaches Takanori.

Gan: "Just as I expected; your father's genes are running through your blood."

Takanori: "You think so?"

Gan: "Of course! Heck, while I was watching the race, I remembered your father's racing days!"

Takanori: "Oh..."

Gan: "Today, you'll be receiving a big, fat paycheck!"

Takanori: "I think it's meant for the team."

Gan: "No, no! Just take it! It will be sent immediately to your bank account."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the evening, Takanori arrives home. As he gets out of Makoto's Ferrari, he waves his hand goodbye and thanks her for the ride and the race day.

Takanori: "A big, fat paycheck.... Just like winning the Seasonal Events in GT5. Oh yeah..."

When he enters the house, his happy mother approaches him.

Takanori's mother: "Congratulations! See, I told you that you have your father's moves!"

Takanori: "Thanks, mom. Hey, I'm tired... I will immediately hit the hay."

Takanori's mother: "Okay. Good night!"

Takanori: "Good night."

After dressing up, he immediately hops on the bed and falls asleep in an instant.

At the midst of his sleep, he suddenly remembers the day that his father left him through a dream.

Takanori was just young around 6 years old. He was playing at the garden with his ball. But then, he loses grip of the ball and it rolls out to the street. A Caucasian woman with a young boy as her son appears and that boy gets the ball. Takanori sees the ball and then the boy gives it to him.

Takanori: "Thank you so much. May I know your name?"

But the boy did not answer and hides behind his mother's legs.

Woman: "My son is just shy..."

Then Michiharu sees Takanori and approaches him.

Michiharu: "You're at the middle of the street! You could get run over by an oncoming car! Get inside now."

So Takanori follows his father's command and gets inside the house. Then he peeks at the window and sees that his father and the woman are walking and talking together.

Takanori was puzzled at what's happening. Then at night, he sees his mother waiting outside. Feeling hungry, he approaches his mother and taps her arms.

Takanori: "Mommy, can we eat now? I'm hungry..."

Takanori's mother: "Is that so? Well, I guess your father is not having dinner with us tonight. Let's get in, it's cold outside."

The two get back in and start eating dinner.

At late in the evening, Takanori suddenly wakes up as he hears his mother crying at the other room. He goes there and sees his mother weeping on a piece of paper.

Takanori: "What's wrong, mommy? Why are you crying?"

Takanori's mother: "Your father.... left us. He's not coming back anymore!"

Takanori: "Why, mommy?"

She keeps on weeping and then Takanori rushes outside the house and runs at the street despite the shivering temperature.

Takanori: "Daddy! Daddy! Where are you!?"

He keeps on calling out, but he can only hear a gust of wind. Then tears flow out from his eyes.

Takanori: "Daddy... why?"

The dream ends and Takanori suddenly wakes up. He looks at the digital clock on the table beside his bed and it displays that it's 3 in the morning.

Takanori: "That dreadful day... Why did it come back? Am I eager to see my father again? That race... and Mr. Gan comparing me to my father brought it all back."

He gets off the bed and looks out at the window. A shooting star suddenly passes by.

Takanori: "I wish I could meet my father again. I am ready to listen and forgive him. I miss you a lot, Pops."

End of page 7

Page 8:

The next day, Takanori wakes up at 11 in the morning. He scratches his head upon knowing that he woke up late.

Takanori: "Damn, that dream gave me a sleepless night. I am usually an early bird."

Then his mother enters his room with breakfast served on a tray. It's composed of natto with rice in a small bowl and a bowl of miso soup.

Takanori's mother: "Well, this is the first time you woke up this late."

Takanori: "Yeah... Well, it's Sunday today and people usually wake up late on weekends."

Takanori's mother: "Not in your case, sweetie. You wake up so early so as to join your father in his track day weekends at Tsukuba Circuit."

Takanori just splits the chopsticks and starts eating.

Takanori's mother: "I just hope your father is still here... At least he must come back here and explain everything so that I can accept it."

Then his mother hears the telephone ringing downstairs. She gets out of the room to take that call. As for Takanori, he slurps on the hot miso soup and exhales afterwards.

Takanori: "Dad makes good natto... He used to make this as my breakfast before we leave for the track day."

Then the mother goes back in his room, seemingly excited.

Takanori: "What's up? You seem happy."

Takanori's mother: "Hey, Makoto's father told me that the organizers of the race you joined yesterday are very impressed with your performance that they have invited you to a race to be held in Germany! I'm so proud of you!"

Takanori: "But how about school? Is it okay for you for me to stop studying for a while?"

Takanori's mother: "Don't worry. As long as it means fulfilling your dreams, why not? Besides, your friend has already arranged the papers for your leave of absence on your school and your travel documents as well. Tomorrow, I'll be handing over your passport to your friend."

Takanori: "Woah woah woah woah... that all happened quickly. Well, I guess I'll miss playing GT5 for a while. And besides, I've always wanted to go to Nurburgring Nordschleife!"

Takanori's mother: "Then you must take this opportunity!"

Takanori: "Right!"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A week later, Takanori has now packed his stuff for the trip. He heads downstairs and his mother hugs him.

Takanori's mother: "Take care, my son. I hope you enjoy the trip."

Takanori: "I will. Take care too, okay? Don't hesitate to ask our neighbors to help you out in making Mochi, okay?"

Takanori's mother: "Of course, sweetie."

Then they hear a car's horn blowing from the outside. Takanori steps out and a gray Rolls-Royce Phantom arrives before him. A chauffeur steps out of the car, takes his luggage and puts it in the trunk. Then the chauffeur opens the rear passenger door and Takanori sees Makoto sitting on the right side and drinking wine.

Takanori: "Waaaaaahhhh! Just how many cars do you own!?"

Makoto: "Well, Daddy wants his garage to be filled with the best cars in the world! Hop in!"

Takanori gets in, the chauffeur closes the door and gets inside the car as well and they leave.

Makoto: "Daddy will meet us at the airport. So enjoy the ride!"

Takanori stretches his legs and he is surprised at how long the legroom of this luxury sedan has.

Takanori: "My feet hasn't touched the front seats. Damn, this car has amazing legroom!"

Makoto: "Well, this Phantom is the EWB version which means that the car has extended wheelbase."

Takanori: "I see. Well, this car costs more than my house!"

A few minutes later, they have arrived at the Haneda Airport. Gan is waiting at the airport's entrance. As the two have arrived, Gan happily approaches them.

Gan: "I'm very glad that you took this offer."

Takanori: "Well, I have to take this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to fulfill my dreams. Thank you, Gan-san..."

Gan: "Don't mention it. Besides, You have the splitting image of your father, you know? Those eyes show determination, and they remind me of him."

Finally, they have left Japan and they are heading to Europe. Takanori looks at Tokyo's skyscrapers from the plane and then looks around at the high-class ambiance of the plane as they are sitting in the First Class.

Takanori: "First class? Damn!"

Then Makoto, who sits beside him, taps him on the shoulder.

Makoto: "Dad told me that we're heading first in Toscana, Italy. He wants you to show something."

Takanori: "Okay. You know, I could not afford to fly anywhere in the world."

Makoto: "You know what, consider yourself lucky. Your determination brought you here. And who knows, maybe in the future you can bring your children around the world."

Takanori: "Yeah, you're right."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Several hours later, they have arrived in Rome, Italy on the afternoon. Then they head straight to Gan's mansion in the vineyards of Toscana. When Takanori is about to enter the house, he could not help but be stunned at the beauty of the surroundings.

Takanori: "Woah... This reminds me of the Toscana track in GT5!"

Makoto: "Of course! Oh, have I told you that aside from racing, we also have a wine-making business? We make the finest quality wines here."

Takanori just drops his jaw upon hearing that statement. Then Gan approaches him and puts his hand on Takanori's shoulder.

Gan: "I'll show you something."

The two head to the garage. Gan unveils a black Lamborghini Countach 25th Anniversary.

Gan: "You know, your father owns this."

Takanori: "Seriously!?"

Gan: "Yes. But he decided to stash it here after he left your family. He obtained it using his winnings in the races he participated in his heyday."

Takanori: "I can't believe it..."

Gan hands the car's keys to Takanori. The boy's hands shake as he receives the keys.

Takanori: "A Lamborghini."

Then he opens the car's scissor doors. Despite the fact that it has abandoned for years, the car's interior especially the leather are in pristine condition. Takanori gets in and is once again stunned as he touches the leather.

Takanori: "This is amazing!"

Gan also gets in at the passenger side and closes the door.

Gan: "Start it up. Put your foot on the clutch."

But Takanori struggles to step on the clutch pedal since it's heavy."

Takanori: "This thing is heavy!"

Gan: "Then turn the key half way."

Takanori turns the key halfway going clockwise.

A clicking sound can be heard.

Gan: "Once you hear the clicking sound has a slower tempo, shift to neutral gear and then start up the engine by turning the key fully and push down the accelerator."

Takanori did as instructed. The car's 5.2 liter V12 engine roars loudly as the engine is still in tip-top condition.

Gan: "Okay... now drive like your father. You've got a lot of road to warm up your father's car after years of abandonment."

They get out of the mansion and once the car is on the road, Takanori pushes the accelerator further and the car gets up to speed.

6985504076_955f31c8b1_c.jpg

Takanori: "Wow..."

End of page 8

Latest Posts

Back