Reaching The Apex

Page 9:

The Countach blitzes through the vineyards of Toscana. Takanori holds on as he experiences the high speed thrust of a supercar.

7131587585_9315a999e4_c.jpg

Takanori: "The speed! I'm exceeding 200 KM/H! I haven't driven a supercar, you know!?"

Gan takes a cassette tape out from the glove box and inserts it at the radio. He plays it and the music being played is "Cannonball" by Ray Stevens.

Takanori: "Eh? What's that song?"

Gan: "This song is always associated with this car. Hey, better slam the brakes now as we are approaching a curve."

Takanori slams the brakes and abruptly turns the steering wheel to the right.

Takanori: "We're gonna crash!"

Luckily, the car slows down enough to go at the outside lane.

7131585703_604223082d_c.jpg

Takanori: "Whew, that was close..."

Gan: "The car's wide tires help it stop and turn better. If you are driving the LP400 model, we would be on the fields by now."

Takanori: "The steering is also heavy!"

Gan: "It's from the 1980s, kid. Power steering was not the norm at the time."

Gan stomps his foot in sync with the tunes of the music.

Takanori: "I'm sure Dad was very happy driving this thing. I wonder why he has to abandon it..."

Gan: "Even I don't know why. Yes, your father is my best friend, but he also keeps some secrets."

Takanori: "Next corner!"

Takanori downshifts to 2nd gear and turns the car to the right once again.

6985503176_6ff8566595_c.jpg

His body is hugged by the car's seats. He struggles to keep up with the g forces.

Takanori: "I haven't felt this kind of G forces!"

Gan: "Well, it's time for your body to get used to it. You are used to drive a front wheel drive car, right?"

Takanori: "Aside from that, I only brought my Civic Type R to the track only once and never raced again ever since. Maybe my body's starting to get used to this."

Gan: "That's right. And you also have to learn to drive a rear-wheel drive car. This is the right time, although a mid-engined car can be hard to master."

Takanori: "Don't worry, I'm already getting the hang of driving this Lamborghini."

Gan: "Good!"

6985501480_768170ed86_c.jpg

Takanori goes at full throttle once again as the car hits the straight.

6985501942_1f8d2da6f2_c.jpg

Takanori: "Heh, I also like the music. It's as retro as this car."

7131586661_146baeb470_c.jpg

Gan: "You'll be driving something like this in the upcoming race in Nurburgring GP. But it's scarier than this..."

Takanori: "Really!?"

Gan: "It's scary, but it can save you at the same time."

Takanori: "I wonder what car could that be?"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Germany, Axel is just browsing through the internet in his home. Suddenly, his mobile phone rings and it's his manager who calls him. He picks it up as he continues on browsing.

Axel: "Hello?"

Tim: "Hey, I have just prepped a car for an upcoming race."

Axel: "A race?"

Tim: "There's a supercar festival race in Nurburgring GP. You might as well join if you want to have a boost in your career. Besides, you have to let people know that you're also in to road car racing."

Axel: "Road cars? Sounds interesting... Race cars can get boring sometimes."

Tim: "Oh, you'll be surprised if I tell you this. Some rookies will be entering the event."

Axel: "Rookies? In a supercar? I hope the race won't get awry."

Tim: "I'm sure you could beat them all. Show them what a pro can do."

Axel: "Sure. Anyways, thanks for inviting me. I'm ready. Just give me a call, okay?"

Tim: "I'll let you know tomorrow as to when will the race be. I'll keep in touch. See ya."

Axel: "See ya."

The call ends and Axel continues surfing the internet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back in Italy, Takanori and Gan return to the mansion. Gan once again shows Takanori another covered car that he will use for the race.

Gan: "Tomorrow, we shall head to Germany. You will be driving this on the way there. It will be a convoy, don't worry."

Takanori: "Germany? Oh, the race!"

Gan: "A race called the Supercar Festival will be held at the Nurburgring GP this week. We must go there ahead of time so that we can have some practice before the race. You're not the only rookie joining there; there are also other rookies aspiring to be the best. This is your ticket to stardom!"

Takanori: "All right! I'm more motivated than ever!"

Gan: "Shall you do the honors?"

Takanori slowly unveils the car...

End of page 9

Page 10:

Takanori slowly takes off the large cloth that covers the car that he will use in the race in Germany. When the cloth finally lands on the floor, he could not just believe at what he sees. His face show shock and awe.

An Arancio Argos Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4 is right in front of him.

Takanori: "Woah! Seriously!?"

Gan: "Yes. That beast chose you to tame it."

Gan gives the keys to Takanori. Takanori unlocks the car and opens the scissor door to get in. He is just awestruck at the car's interior.

Takanori: "I'm like in a stealth fighter plane!"

Gan: "In the middle of the center console, there's a red flap that you can open. Once you do, you'll see the start button.

Takanori locates and opens the red flap. Then he presses the button. The 6.5 liter, 700 HP V12 engine comes to life and roars loudly.

Takanori: "Man, that's a nice sound! And I like how Lamborghini used the stealth fighter jet theme of this car."

Gan: "This is a perfect car to beat the other supercars in the track."

Takanori: "Definitely..."

Takanori shuts off the engine and gets out of the car. Then the two head back to the living room.

In Germany, Axel is at his living room in his garage. Then he sees a large trailer truck outside his house. Getting out of the truck is Tim and one of the crew members. They go at the back of the truck to take out the car that Axel will be using. Axel gets out of the house and joins with them.

Axel: "What's that, Tim?"

Tim: "Axel, here's what you'll be using."

A blue Nissan R390 GT1 Road Car is slowly being pulled out from the trailer.

Tim: "Nissan sponsored us for the race and since they highly commend your skills, they let you drive just one of the two R390s in world. Heck, this is from their museum in Japan and then they have reworked on it."

Axel: "This is cool. I've never seen this before."

Tim: "This has a 550 HP 3.5 liter twin turbo V8 under the race car body. This is a race car with road manners."

Axel: "This will be more than appropriate for the race. I like it."

Tim: "Well, the race will be in 2 days. You might as well practice tomorrow."

Axel: "Got it."

When the car is finally pulled out, Axel inspects on it.

The next day, Gan and his whole crew set off. They have formed a convoy of a bus and the Aventador following it. Inside the Lamborghini are Takanori and Makoto. They have now left Italy and they are now at the hills of Switzerland.

Makoto: "It seems that you are driving your favorite ride in GT5, am I right?"

Takanori: "Yeah, I thought that I can only drive this virtually; but now I am now in control of this car. I really can't believe it!"

Makoto: "Overtake the bus."

Takanori: "What!? Why?"

Makoto: "Don't worry, I've traveled around Europe last year, I'm familiar with the directions. I'll be your co-driver for a while."

Makoto puts on the seatbelt.

Takanori: "Okay."

Takanori floors the pedal to the metal. The Lamborghini instantly overtakes the bus. Gan sees it and puts up a grin on his face.

Gan: "That's good, Takanori. You must try out your car's performance. It'll be yours once you win the race..."

Takanori is terrorized by the sheer speed of the Aventador.

Takanori: "Waaaaaahhhh! It's a rocket! It immediately touched 200 km/h! This is the typical terror that Lamborghinis give to their drivers!"

Makoto: "We're on a mountain pass. This baby can handle it."

Approaching on a right-hand curve, Takanori applies the brakes and steers the car to the right. The car just hugs inside the curve.

6987936082_9c531978d6_c.jpg

Takanori: "It's a four-wheel drive car, all right. But it corners like a rear-wheel drive car."

Makoto: "That's because the car has the pushrod suspension similarly found in formula one cars."

Takanori: "I see."

Then the Aventador just clears the 2nd hairpin with ease.

Takanori: "Your father is right. It's scary but safe at the same time."

6987935320_de72db883b_c.jpg

Takanori is also amazed at the view of the Alps.

Takanori: "These kind of roads attract every car enthusiast in the world. Europe has the best roads in the world!"

6987935594_6e8b51439b_c.jpg

Makoto: "Another hairpin coming up!"

Takanori steps on the brakes and turns the steering wheel. The car shows absolute stability and speed through the hairpin.

7134020107_cfba294178_c.jpg

Takanori: "Belissima!"

The Aventador's exhaust note echoes as it passes through the tunnel.

6987936702_d58a05f041_c.jpg

End of page 9

(Next page will be picture heavy!)

Last edited:
Page 10

Gan and the crew have finally arrived at the Nurburgring GP. They have been assigned at a pit garage and the crew starts to work on the Lamborghini Aventador. Takanori looks out at the pit lane and sees a lot of racing crews running around and setting up their cars.

Takanori: "Just by staying here, you can already feel the pressure from your opponents."

Then Makoto sees Axel and his crew three pit garages away. She goes beside Takanori and points Axel.

Takanori: "Huh? Who is he?"

Makoto: "He is Axel Eisenberg. One of the best racing drivers in the world. He always ends up on the podium after the race. Oh, he just placed 2nd on the Nurburgring 24 Hour Race a few weeks ago."

Takanori: "Yeah, seems like it. His crew seems on top of things. And look at his car... a blue Nissan R390 GT1. That thing will be difficult to catch."

Makoto: "Well, I hope you could be standing at the podium."

Takanori: "A three lap race. Hmmmm.... how am I supposed to catch him at that short period of time? But put aside that, I am really happy that I finally set foot at the best racetrack around the world. The Nurburgring! I just dream about it, now it finally came true!"

Gan approaches him and pats him on the shoulder.

Gan: "So, are you ready for this?"

Takanori: "Well, I'm more ready than ever."

Gan: "Good. Okay, during the race, we can communicate via on the radio."

Takanori: "Got it."

Takanori gets inside and wears his race suit and helmet. Then he straps in the car and starts it up. He tries the radio communication system on the car and he shows a thumbs up to Gan to signify that it its working.

Meanwhile, Axel has also strapped in his R390.

Axel: "I'll show these rookies what a pro can do. Heh, it would be a walk in the park."

The cars have lined up as it will be a rolling start. The audience start to cheer and take out their cameras to take pictures.

Axel's R390 is at the pole position while Takanori is at the 6th place. As the lights show green, Axel floors the throttle to start the race. The other cars behind him do the same.

Takanori's Aventador easily overtakes the red Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren in front.

7135533609_65d21b6a76_c.jpg

Takanori: "No Merc could compete with a Lamborghini!"

Then he manages to catch up with the others via braking just approaching the first corner.

6989448466_39a2783cd6_c.jpg

Now, a Lotus Esprit V8 is right ahead of him.

7135533185_ea89258477_c.jpg

The Lotus somehow fights back at the corners which made Takanori struggle to pass it.

Takanori: "Well, that's expected from a Lotus!"

Gan: "Don't lose your cool. It's just the start. Remember, you only have 3 laps to prove yourself. One mistake here, and it would be difficult to patch it up."

Takanori: "Got it!"

7135532859_e282be4ced_c.jpg

At the short straight, The Aventador overtakes the Lotus thanks to its unrelenting power. Then it blocks the latter at the next corner.

6989448082_cb0d354c9c_c.jpg

Thanks to the 4WD layout coupled with a lot of power, the Aventador blasts away from the corner exits and totally outruns the Esprit.

6989448082_cb0d354c9c_c.jpg

Takanori: "All right, one more car to pass, and this race is mine!"

Gan: "You're now up against Axel. He's not the type to give up on pressure. Thanks to his experiences, it would be difficult to pass him! Try to observe his movements first."

7135522929_aa75a27b23_c.jpg

Takanori: "His R390 is no joke. It's a road-going race car! It was built to satisfy the homologation requirements for the R390 GT1 Race Car!"

Takanori brakes late approaching the next corner in order to keep up, however, it did not slow down the heavyweight car and it drives outside the corner.

6989438454_9a94a58285_c.jpg

Takanori: "Crap!"

Gan: "Don't worry, Axel hasn't gotten far yet. That corner should really be taken slow.

Takanori: "Damn, I was careless!"

6989430242_b62fd22607_c.jpg

Takanori: "I gotta keep up. He's a several hundred meters away! Let's go Aventador! Show me the true raging bull from within you!"

Takanori floors the throttle, and the normally-aspirated V12 engine provided instant response. It gets back up to speed in an instant.

Meanwhile, at the bleachers, an old man and an assistant has found seats for themselves. The old man turns out to be Michiharu. He finally shows up and decides to see his son race.

Assistant: "Why are people taking this seriously? It's just a three lap race with mostly amateurs in it.

Michiharu: "It's because Axel is here. He wants to try road car racing. And this race is a stepping stone for the rookies who aim to have a shot in the big leagues. Although I find it odd to let amateurs handle high-powered supercars. Not in Takanori's case, though."

Assistant: "I see. Well, are you ready to talk to him?"

Michiharu: "There is a right time for that. I may have aged a lot, but that doesn't mean that I don't have the courage to speak to him. He also deserves to know one more thing..."

Assistant: "Which is?"

Michiharu: "Let us watch the race, shall we? That's we're here for, right?"

Takanori now locks on to Axel as the race progresses. Thanks to his car's power, he manages to shorten the gap.

6989412850_5d72e646b0_c.jpg

6989413300_0eb09398a6_c.jpg

Takanori: "I can see him!"

Meanwhile, Axel smiles as he is impressed with his opponent keeping up with him."

Axel: "You have such a lot of determination for a rookie. I like it."

6989431500_e4e4d904ce_c.jpg

At the main straight, Takanori decides to draft behind Axel's car so as to keep up. The Aventador shortens the gap and then the two cars start the 2nd lap.

Gan: "Good job! You have to think as to where to attack him!"

Then the two cars slow down approaching the first corner.

7135514625_a12c2befc2_c.jpg

Axel: "Nice. Probably you are a worthy opponent. Let's see if you can pass me!"

6989430028_28e9328ee3_c.jpg

Takanori: "The R390 corners better than my Aventador. The body provides gobs of downforce!"

6989430794_c0a5cff55c_c.jpg

Axel: "Hmph... You're at my tail. You think pressuring me by some amateur would slow me down!?"

7135521459_01c7cfe719_c.jpg

At the next corner, the R390 blocks the Aventador and then spreads the gap.

7135496561_5dab37b926_c.jpg

Takanori: "No kidding, you are a pro."

6989431118_acfbbe9246_c.jpg

At the high speed section, the Takanori floors the throttle and the Aventador drafts behind the R390. Then at a gentle corner, it finally takes the lead.

Takanori: "Yes!"

Gan: "Don't let your guard down. You still have one more lap left to defend your position."

6989411958_e7cf993364_c.jpg

Takanori: "I'll keep that in mind."

Axel is shocked by that move.

Axel: "I usually brake on that gentle corner. And yet, the Aventador passed me without much problem. It's usual to slightly slow down there, but that Lamborghini just blitzed through it."

6989409028_5af778fdf9_c.jpg

After clearing the last corner, the Aventador shows its true power on the straight.

7135492951_35831da035_c.jpg

Takanori: "I shall show you... How my father does this!!!"

Then at the first corner, Axel is surprised that the Aventador can corner as fast as his R390.

6989407764_17fa4b03ff_c.jpg

Axel: "Gott in Himmel! It corners like a race car!"

Takanori: "This has the suspension of a Formula One car!"

The gap spreads further.

6989409300_9a4f363c9d_c.jpg

Axel: "I can't believe what I'm seeing! That Lambo just hugs the apex!"

6989408158_4b87107630_c.jpg

Takanori: "What's the matter? I thought you're a pro? Don't mess with the Apex King!"

Hearing that last sentence, Gan smiles once again.

Gan: "That's exactly his father used to say back in the old days. Like father, like son..."

Then the Aventador finally outruns the R390 at the rest of the lap. Axel could not believe his eyes, his hands shake on the steering wheel.

Axel: "It's normal for me to be placed in 2nd... But today, something incredible has happened. A rookie has defeated me..."

As the race ended, Takanori goes back at the pits. He steps out and Makoto hugs him tightly once again.

Takanori: "Hey! I can't breathe!"

Makoto: "I knew you could do it!"

Then, Takanori stands on the middle of the podium. He receives a gold trophy, then Axel and a third placer open their bottles of champagne and pour some of them on to Takanori.

Takanori: "Woah! I've never felt that before!"

Then as Takanori returns to the pits, Axel approaches him.

Axel: "You put up a good race. Congrats..."

Takanori: "Thanks. Though I think I was just lucky."

Axel: "Luck? Do you ever believe in it? You won because of your determination and skills."

Takanori: "Ummm.... uhhh..."

Axel: "May I know your name?"

Takanori: "Oh, my name is Takanori Kanonji. Nice to meet you."

Axel: "You are young. I'm impressed to what you did today. Keep it up. Welcome to the big leagues."

Takanori: "Thanks."

Then the two walk on separate ways.

Axel: "Kanonji, huh?"

Back at the bleachers, Michiharu and his assistant are the only people left.

Assistant: "Heh, this will be an insult to Axel. What happened today will spread like wildfire across the globe."

Michiharu: "Have I told you that Axel and Takanori are...

...half-brothers?

End of Part 1

The Bonus Page:

Michiharu and his British assistant named Ben have left the Nurburgring GP race track and immediately head straight home in Bavaria. Michiharu goes upstairs in his room and looks at the framed photos of Axel and Takanori when they were kids. Ben also enters and takes a look at them.

Ben: "You always look at those picture frames, huh?"

Michiharu: "As a father, I miss them a lot. Axel is taking this too hard, though."

Ben: "Have you talked to him?"

Michiharu: "When he found out that I had another family in Japan, he banished me in his life. He never accepted me back. I am the reason why his mother died in depression."

Ben: "I see. Well, do you think that Takanori will listen to you?"

Michiharu: "Who knows? Though that kid looked up to me greatly as if I'm a god."

Ben: "Was there any chance that the two have met aside from that race a while ago?"

Michiharu: "Yes. If I remember it right, Axel's mother went to Japan to see me. Takanori was playing outside the house at that time. He slipped his ball away from his hands and it rolls down the street. Axel is the one that picked up Takanori's ball and gave it to him. Axel was reluctant to introduce himself to Takanori that he hid from his mother. The two were not aware at their connection even for now. But, no matter what happens, I'll make sure that I'll connect them. I have to patch up that huge mistake I made."

Ben: "Well, I'm a parent too, you know? I think that's a good idea, but I think it will take a lifetime."

Michiharu: "I don't care how long it takes. I just want to make amends, that's all."

Ben: "Well, that is a harder challenge than the Nurburgring."

Michiharu: "Then I accept it. Anyways, I'll be out for a while. I'll bring home some take out food. What do you want?"

Ben: "Whatever you choose."

Michiharu: "Okay."

Michiharu heads to the garage downstairs and gets in his orange BMW M3 GTS. Then he starts up the 4.4 liter, 444 HP V8 engine and revs it to 8300 rpm. Then the car leaves the house and speeds through the small road.

End of Bonus Page.

Part 2:

Page 1

A year has passed since Takanori had his big break in racing in Germany. The cash he received has used for renovating and expanding his home in Japan.

One morning, he does the usual chores of preparing the kitchen equipment for making Mochi while his mother prepares the ingredients. After that task, Takanori leaves for school, riding his bicycle once more.

He has arrived at school early. Makoto has also arrived just shortly after.

Makoto: "Good morning, bicycle boy!"

Takanori: "What!? Hey, good morning to you too."

Makoto: "You always bring your bike to school. The money you received last year is more than enough for you to fix your house and buy you a car!"

Takanori: "Nah, I don't want to tackle Tokyo's morning rush hour traffic. Besides, this saves me money for filling up for fuel and I still use my Civic for utility and track days as well."

Makoto: " Fine, do whatever that suits you. Anyways, shall we get inside?"

The two enter the school's gates. While walking, Makoto glances at sunny sky.

Makoto: "Hmmm... when do you think that you'll be called the greatest racer ever?"

Takanori: "Maybe before I get old?"

Makoto: "Hah! Well, you should start racing again! As far as I know, Daddy has received numerous invitations from various racing organizers around Japan."

Takanori: "That's good!"

Makoto: "It seems that you caught the eyes of every racing enthusiast around the world. Nobody expected you to beat a pro like Axel Eisenberg!"

Takanori: "Nah, I just got lucky at that time."

Makoto: "Oh seesh, you and your luck. You won because of your skills! And remember, you are the son of the Apex King, Michiharu Kanonji! You got your father's racing genes running through you blood!"

Takanori: "How I'd wish my father saw my victory back there..."

In Germany, at sunset at the Nurburgring Nordschleife, a very loud exhaust note can be heard.

An orange BMW M3 GTS driven by none other than Michiharu tears up the track alone.

7157606556_3e956d5c44_c.jpg

The car just blazes through each and every corner.

7157585396_3b99bc0ebc_c.jpg

Michiharu: "I just got this from the tuning shop today. This car now has 560 HP and weight has reduced to less than 1400 kilograms!"

7157586790_f512ce45e3_c.jpg

Then he pulls the left paddle to shift down. The 7-speed dual clutch transmission changes gear quicker than a human hand does in a manual transmission. The car tackles another corner without any loss of control.

7157605048_23c10c6734_c.jpg

Michiharu: "I am loving this car. The guys at G-Power know how to tune M3s."

Halfway through the track, the M3 GTS drifts. Seeing that there is another corner coming up, the spectators back off in fear thinking that it will crash.

7157607070_7a83c3da2e_c.jpg

However, the car's body flicks to the other direction and performs another drift at the hairpin.

7157605890_00f8d6d6fe_c.jpg

Michiharu: "Despite the top-notch precision the M3 has, the car can also be fun to drive."

7157585936_3d3cce1795_c.jpg

Then at the famous long straight, the car's speed quickly rises and it clocks in at 300 KM/H.

7157606178_04dd1018ec_c.jpg

Seeing that it's time for dinner, Michiharu slows down the car.

Michiharu: "Well, I shall call this a day. I'll continue testing this car tomorrow. I really love it!"

7157605436_745c7cb172_c.jpg

End of page 1

Part 2; page 2

When school is over, Makoto and Takanori are about to go out from the school's gates when suddenly Makoto's mobile phone rings as her father, Gan, calls her up. She picks it up from her bag.

Makoto: "Hey, Dad! How's your day?"

Gan: "You're going home now, right? Is Takanori with you right now?"

Makoto: "Of course!"

Gan: "Then let him come along with you. Something has arrived at our home and it's his."

Makoto: "Okay."

Makoto ends the call and puts her phone back in her bag. She grabs Takanori's shoulder.

Takanori: "Hey, what's going on?"

Makoto: "My father asked me to bring you in my home. He has something to show you."

Takanori: "Okay. But I'll be quick, okay? I have some stuff to do at home."

Makoto: "You are just getting something, and that's it. Now come on!"

She grabs his arm and the two run on the way to Gan's mansion.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The two have arrived at Gan's mansion. Takanori is already amazed at the big, shiny gate right in front of him and the long driveway right behind it.

Takanori: "Wow..."

The automated gates open and the two walk inside. Takanori is once again amazed upon seeing the cars that are parked at the sides of the driveway. Ferraris, Lamborghinis, AMG Mercedes-Benz Sedans, Rolls-Royce sedans, Bentleys, and some vintage cars are diagonally parked.

Takanori: "Wow, just wow! I'm sure you've driven all of them!"

Makoto: "Not really. Though my father got upset when he found out I drove his Rolls-Royce Phantom and drift it through the corners at a track."

Gan gets out from the main door, and welcomes both of them. He hugs Makoto as usual, and then shakes hands with Takanori.

Gan: "It's been a year, Kanonji."

Takanori: "Yes. How are you, Gan-san?"

Gan: "Doing fine, of course! I've got numerous invitations from racing organizers across Japan and they want to see you in action!"

Takanori: "Yes, your daughter told me so. You said that you something for me. What is it?"

Gan: "Ah yes! Come in!"

The three enter the giant mansion. The living room is filled with paintings and the whole room is carpeted. A fireplace can be seen at side and a big, flat HDTV is at the opposite side. Curtains are colored in gold and silver. Takanori stops to glance at the wonderful ambiance of the room.

Takanori: "I think I found heaven!"

Makoto: "Hey, Dad is going there, let's continue shall we?"

They have arrived at their garage. A lot of covered cars fill it.

Makoto: "This is where Dad keeps his race cars. I have also driven and worked on them."

Then Gan shows them a covered which is for Takanori.

Takanori: "Well, I'm using this for the upcoming race?"

Gan: "Last night, a mystery trailer truck unloaded this car and left immediately. My men alerted me and then I took this in."

Gan unveils the car. It's Michiharu's white Nissan Skyline GT-R R32. Though this time, it has different looks.

Takanori: "That license plate number.... It's Dad's R32, all right! But why does it have a different look?"

A GT Wing, carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber front lip, and white Advan RG rims enhance the car's looks signifying that it's tuned.

Takanori: "Plus, it's lower. Hmmmm.... someone might have tinkered with this."

Gan: "Let's bring that car to the Dyno, shall we?"

The R32 is now on the Dyno. When Takanori steps on the accelerator, a loud exhaust note can be heard. Then the monitor at the Dyno shows the results. It turns out that the car's engine now pumps out 390 HP.

Takanori steps out from the car and looks at the results. He crosses his arms upon seeing the numbers.

Takanori: "Not bad."

Makoto checks the engine. She is surprised at what she saw.

Makoto: "The engine block is even stock! Well, apart from the racing air filters, the engine is..."

Then she once again surprised upon finding out the engine unit.

Makoto: "It's an N1-spec RB26DETT! This 1990 R32 model does not have it, so it means that an engine swap has been done!"

Takanori: "What's an N1-spec?"

Makoto: "N1-spec RB26DETT engines are commonly seen in those 1000 HP Skyline GT-Rs. That engine unit is so durable and can take on a lot of power. NISMO have developed the engine for Group A and Group N racing. The engine is thoroughly balanced and the vibrations experienced at 8000 rpm are now gone. Also, the engine has 2 Garret T25 turbochargers and better camshafts. The engine also received improved water and oil channels within the engine block. The pistons and top piston rings were also upgraded to 1.2 mm."

Takanori shows a poker face upon listening to Makoto's mechanical and technical terms.

Takanori: ("With those mechanical terms, I can't seem to understand one thing....")

Gan: "Uh, Makoto? You're making Takanori's nose bleed."

Makoto: "Sorry... I tend to over-explain mechanical stuff. Anyways, I'm amazed at the modifications despite the modest power increase."

Takanori: "Anyways, I'm gonna skip school tomorrow to drive my father's car! I've been waiting to drive it for my entire life! Gan-san, can you come with me tomorrow?"

Gan: "Perfect! I'll be going to the Fuji Speedway tomorrow morning. Well, we can test out the car there."

Takanori: "All right!"

End of Page 2

Part 2, Page 3:

Early in the morning, Takanori's mother wake up to do the usual chores. She gets in to her son's room only to be surprised that he woke up so early and the bed is already fixed. She goes down to find him, but sees a letter on the kitchen table.

"I'm skipping school today, Mom. I'm heading off to Fuji Speedway with Gan-san today. Don't worry, I have prepared all the equipment before I leave."

Takanori's mother: "Oh boy... He really is excited on testing his father's car."

Then a doorbell rang, she opens the door and it turns out that Makoto pays a visit.

Makoto: "Good morning, Ms. Kanonji."

Takanori's mother: "Oh, you must be Takanori's friend. Why visit so early? He did not go to school today."

Makoto: "Yes, he told me that yesterday. I'm here to help you out."

Takanori's mother: "Oh, how sweet of you! But will that be okay for you?"

Makoto: "No problem! Besides, I'm also curious on how a Mochi is prepared. Please teach me how to make one and I'll help you out too!"

Takanori's mother: "Okay. Get ready because we will make a lot of them today because I have pending orders."

Makoto: "Roger that!"

So Takanori's mother hands over an apron for Makoto to wear.

Fuji Speedway. One of the most critically-acclaimed race tracks around the world. A lot of races are held there such as Formula One, Super GT, Super Taikyu Series, Time Attack, and there are also one make races held there. The main straight always draws excitement as cars go head-to-head and slipstream is always the preferred weapon.

In this day though, there are no spectators nor other race crews present. Just Takanori and Gan with Michiharu's tuned R32 GT-R.

Gan: "You seem so excited, huh?"

Takanori: "Yes, I can't sleep last night because I'm so excited driving my father's precious ride."

Gan: "Then strap yourself in."

Takanori gets in the car and straps on a five-point harness. The Recaro bucket seats hugs the driver's body to counteract with horizontal G-forces during cornering. Turbo boost, oil, and water temperature gauges are seen at the dashboard. Then Takanori points on a switch on the steering wheel.

Takanori: "What's this?"

Gan: "You haven't noticed that yesterday when we had a dyno run? It's a switch that activates the car's aftermarket boost controller. Activate it, and the turbo can increase its boost pressure to force more air into the engine. In short, use it when you want a boost of speed to overtake your opponents on the straights or if you want to rocket out of the corners."

The white R32 drives off and starts the run. At the first corner, the car easily hugs the inside thanks to the fully adjustable race suspension installed.

7164891734_458060fe37_c.jpg

Takanori: "The grip! I can't believe it!"

After the short straight, Takanori applies the brakes and then enters the left-hand corner at 135 KM/H.

7164892512_1bf9dde629_c.jpg

Takanori: "The normal entry speeds in that corner ranges from 120-130 KM/H. Exceeding those speeds can be suicidal! But this R32 gives me confidence to do so! The race suspension and track-spec semi-slick tires helps this car a lot!"

At the gentle 100R right-hand corner, the R32 shows no sign of understeer as it passes through at 150 KM/H. Then he slows down again as the car approaches at the hairpin.

7164926798_ce2d3f7b50_c.jpg

At the exit of the hairpin, Takanori tries out the boost controller by flicking the switch on the steering wheel. The turbo boost instantly raises to 1.0 bar and then the R32 gets back up to speed in an instant despite the stock turbos. His head thrusts backwards violently as a result.

Takanori: "Whoa! That increase of boost pressure is addicting!"

He turns off the boost controller as the car approaches the series of corners.

7164885400_b5e51bdaa5_c.jpg

Takanori: "Before, there was only a high speed corner that leads to the main straight. Now, these series of corners add up to the challenge."

7164889776_cfdc226b97_c.jpg

Then at the main straight, the R32's speed builds up. It blitzes through at 250 KM/H.

7164890314_eb9c600345_c.jpg

7164890980_aed048b995_c.jpg

Takanori: "Supercars can go at 250 KM/H at this main straight!"

Takanori decides to continue on doing hot laps around the track.

At the pits, Gan is looking up at the sunny sky as if he's wondering.

Gan: "Who brought that car here? And who tinkered with it? After Michiharu disappeared, it was said that he sold that R32."

Meanwhile, back in the Kanonji family's residence, Makoto is having a good time making and selling Mochi to the customers. Takanori's mother is very happy now that the business is booming.

Takanori's mother: "Oh, thank you for helping me Ms. Kurosawa!"

Makoto: "Please call me Makoto, okay? You're older than me and I should be the one giving you courtesy."

Takanori's mother: "You are such a sweet, and down-to-earth girl. I'm sure that Takanori would be very happy to see this business is doing well."

Makoto: "Of course he would be! Anyways, may I ask you a question, Ms. Kanonji?"

Takanori's mother: "What is it?"

Makoto: "Takanori has always mentioned his father. Were they close before your husband left?"

Takanori's mother: "Yes! They would go to Tsukuba Circuit every Saturday with his father's sports car. And then after that, Takanori would always brag about his father's racing skills in school for the whole week. Even Takanori would go with his father to the tuning shops and racing teams to familiarize himself as to what his father does. He plans on following his father's footsteps. But after he left, Takanori's dreams have shattered and is now stuck to playing at just video games. But thanks to you, those dreams have revived. But you know what, Takanori is so much eager to see his father again. He would even spend the whole day calling up government agencies to ask help and even go online in search for his father. He would usually sleep late as a result; but he never gives up even now."

Makoto: "I would be more than willing to help him."

Takanori's mother: "But I think it would be difficult to find one person around the world."

Makoto: "Don't worry, I would do anything for Takanori. Besides, that boy made me realize what life is. It's not about the money or possessions, but the most important thing in life is being happy and feel loved. I don't care if I'm rich. What I treasure most are my father's love and my friends, and that's it. Your family's simple life is an eye-opener for me.

Takanori's mother: "You know, you are a very lucky woman. You still have your father."

Makoto: "Yes."

Takanori's mother: "Takanori is jealous of you because of that fact."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Meanwhile in Michiharu's home in Germany, Michiharu is in his room using the computer, browsing the internet. Then Ben is outside, knocking on the door.

Michiharu: "Come in."

Ben enters the room and sees that the sheets and pillows on the bed are still in order.

Ben: "It's midnight, sir. You should go to sleep."

Michiharu: "Has Mr. Kurosawa received the package?"

Ben: "Yes."

Michiharu: "Good."

Michiharu shuts down the computer and then goes to bed.

Michiharu: "Takanori would love my car. Besides, he's longing to drive it in his entire life."

Ben: "Definitely he would."

Michiharu: "Ben, book us a flight to Japan. I want to see my son in action again..."

Ben: "Understood."

So Ben gets out of the room and closes the door and then proceeds to do what's instructed.

End of Page 3

Last edited:
Part 2; Page 4:

At the afternoon, Takanori arrives home. As he got out of the car, he sees Makoto getting out of the house and bowing down before his mother. Then the two meet up.

Takanori: "You skipped school too?"

Makoto: "School is boring, so I took an opportunity to answer my curiosities which is how to make a Mochi! I love Mochi, you know? Anyways, how's your father's car?"

Takanori: "It's exhilarating to drive."

Makoto: "That's good to hear. It is to be expected from a GT-R."

Takanori: "I see. Well, thanks for helping my Mom out on such short notice."

Makoto: "No problem! I could help her out every weekend!"

Takanori: "Nah, no need to. I think it's too much to ask."

Makoto: "Can't a girl do what she wants? Besides, I learned a lot today."

Takanori: "Okay. Do whatever that makes you happy."

Makoto: "Okay, see you then! Bye!"

She walks away and waves her hand goodbye. Takanori gets inside.

Takanori: "Mom, how's your day?"

Takanori's mother: "It's such a wonderful day! Thanks to your friend, our business earned a lot today!"

Takanori: "Well, Makoto has lots of connections."

The next day, when school is over, Takanori rides his bicycle and is on his way home. When he passes by at the park, he is surprised to see Axel sitting on a bench. So he stops and approaches him.

Takanori: "Axel?"

Axel: "Yo Takanori, it's been a year!"

Takanori: "What brings you here?"

Axel: "Well, I'm taking a break from racing for now. And I am interested in this country; that's why I'm here."

Takanori: "I see. Well, you could enjoy a lot of sights here in Tokyo already!"

Axel: "Seems like it. Anyways, are you free?"

Takanori: "Um... I have to help my mother out at home."

Axel: "I see. Well, I can come along with you."

Takanori: "What!? Is it okay for you?"

Axel: "Sure. Now show me to your home."

Moments later, they have arrived at Takanori's house. Axel checks out the surroundings.

Axel: (This place, it's kinda familiar...)

Takanori: "So, here we are. This is my home."

Axel: "Nice cars. You've got a tuned R32 Skyline and a Civic Type R EURO, huh?"

Takanori: "Let's go inside."

The two go inside. Takanori's mother greets the guest and the two boys are at the table having some tea.

Axel: "Such a simple life you have."

Takanori: "Yeah. I renovated this home and just beside this house is our Mochi shop which has gotten bigger thanks to the prize money I got last year. We make Mochi for a living."

Axel: "At least you spend your money on something so useful. As for me, I just go circles around the track and then get some money. Then I'll spend it for tuning or buying a new car. It's kinda wasting it, really. Besides, I'm the only one left in my family."

Takanori: "That's sad to hear."

Axel: "My mother passed away due to depression because she found out that my father had another family. The two divorced and, of course, I went with her and shunned my father away for the rest of my life."

Takanori: "I am on the same boat, you know? But I am still looking for my father."

Axel: "Do you really love your father that much?"

Takanori: "Yes. He taught me racing and we were very close. I'd be willing to listen and forgive him and finally, welcome him back here."

Axel: "Good for you. I wish I could have done the same."

Takanori: "Um... don't you mind? I will help out my mother to prepare dinner for us."

Axel: "Sure. I'll just take a look around."

Takanori busies himself helping out his mother. And then Axel looks at the framed photos at the living room. Then one framed photo takes him by surprise. It's a photo of Michiharu carrying Takanori on his shoulders when the latter was a kid.

Axel: "He's my...? I can't believe it! Is this for real!?"

He takes back the framed photo slowly on the table while his hands are shaking.

When he sees Takanori returning at the table, he approaches him and then takes his coat from his chair.

Axel: "Um... I'm sorry but I have to go."

Takanori: "Really? Aw man... we're about to play Gran Turismo 5 together!"

Axel: "Next time, perhaps. Tell your mother that I'm leaving, okay?"

Axel hurriedly gets out of the house. Upon stepping out, he suddenly remembers the day that he first visited the place.

Axel: "That kid who I gave his lost ball. It's Takanori! He's my half-brother!? How could I tell this to him?"

Axel continues to walk fast, still shocked at the revelation.

At around late in the evening, Michiharu and Ben finally arrive in Tokyo. They checked in a hotel at the heart of the city. Upon entering the hotel room, Michiharu takes off his coat and opens the curtains. A spectacular view of the Tokyo skyline can be seen.

Michiharu: "It's been 15 years since I left Tokyo."

Ben: "Well, now that you're back home, are you going to speak to Takanori personally?"

Michiharu: "There is time for that. Right now, you have work to do."

Ben: "What is it?"

Michiharu hands over a car key.

Ben: "A car?"

Michiharu: "Well, I'm not yet satisfied to what I've done to my car. Get it from Takanori's house without him knowing. Here's the address."

Michiharu writes the address on a piece of paper and gives it to Ben.

Michiharu: "Takanori is asleep by now. So you should have no problems, right?"

Ben: "Well, the car has a loud exhaust note once I start it up. What if he is suddenly awakened?"

Michiharu: "Then put him to sleep. You are a martial artist, right?"

Ben: "Understood, sir."

Ben puts up the hood of his jacket on his head so as to conceal his identity. He gets out of the room to commence the task.

Michiharu: "Sorry, my son. I will make sure you will really love the car that you're eager to drive all your life. Promise me, it would be worth it."

End of Page 4

Part 2; Page 5

After an hour of searching, Ben finally arrives at Takanori's house. He first hides behind the wall of another house and looks out. He sees Takanori taking out the garbage. Then the boy enters the house.

Seeing the opportunity, Ben runs for it. He grabs the car's keys from his pocket. However, Takanori sees the man from inside through the window and then he rushes outside.

Takanori: "Hey! What do you think you're doing!?"

Before Ben can get in, he easily punches Takanori's guts, punches him on the face and knocks him out when he hits the boy's neck at the back. He puts the unconsious Takanori on to the porch.

Then Ben gets in and starts up the car. The car leaves the area quickly.

The next morning, Takanori wakes up. He holds his head in pain.

Takanori: "Owwww.... my head!"

Seeing that his father's R32 is gone, he frantically gets inside the house and calls the police. Takanori's mother goes downstairs and sees her son beaten up.

Takanori: "Hello? I'm here to report a robbery!"

Police: "Okay sir, what was stolen from you?"

Takanori: "My car! The thief beaten me up when I tried to stop him. Next thing I knew, my car is gone!"

Police: "I see. Well, we'll go to your area for further investigation."

The call ends and Takanori slams his fist on the table.

Takanori: "Dammit!"

Takanori's mother: "Oh dear, you're beaten up! Are you okay?"

Takanori: "I'm fine, Mom. I'll go up to dress for school."

When Takanori arrives at school, Makoto approaches him as usual. But she notices the boy's black eye.

Makoto: "What's wrong? You have a black eye!"

Takanori: "Really? You can still see it?"

Makoto: "You did not put enough concealer on. What happened?"

Takanori: "Dad's R32 was stolen last night. I tried to stop the thief, but he beat me up."

Makoto: "Have you called the police?"

Takanori: "Yes, and they are at my home to investigate."

Seeing that there's still blood coming out from his nose, Makoto couldn't hide her concern that she takes out her handkerchief to wipe the blood off.

Makoto: "Don't worry. The most important thing is that you're safe..."

Takanori: "The car... It's one of my most valuable possessions!"

Makoto: "I'm sure the police will catch him."

Takanori: "What if my father finds out about this?"

Makoto: "Stop worrying too much. Let's go inside."

The two head inside the campus.

Ben has returned to the hotel and goes back to the room. He gives the keys to Michiharu.

Ben: "The car is already loaded at the trailer truck."

Michiharu: "Good. I already called a mechanic who is close to me. He will work on the car."

Ben: "I see."

Michiharu: "I'll go out. Stay here and rest, okay?"

Michiharu gets out of hotel and rides on the trailer truck. The truck heads off to an unknown location.

A week later, Takanori is still depressed from what happened. He just looks at the empty space beside his Civic where his father's R32 is parked.

Takanori: "I'm sorry, Dad. I was not strong enough to stop him. I'll bring it back no matter what happens!"

Takanori clenches his fist and heads off to school.

At Tsukuba Circuit, there's a moment of peace. There are no spectators nor racing crews inside the circuit. However, a very loud exhaust note coupled with backfire destroys the silence.

7176636686_532999fc5b_c.jpg

As it turns out, a heavily tuned R32 rips though the track, setting impressive lap times...

End of Page 5

Part 2; Page 6

The racing specification R32 GT-R whips throughout Tsukuba Circuit.

7176627960_6c2c279527_c.jpg

Thanks to its wide body kit, aerodynamics have significantly improved.

7176635910_4a7644b6eb_c.jpg

Which means that it can take corners effortlessly.

7176627386_fdceafcea9_c.jpg

Also, the car's power has dramatically increased as evidenced that it exceeded 200 KM/H on Tsukuba's short straight.

7176628414_9d9e6c1dfa_c.jpg

Then it clocks the last corner in at 135 KM/H.

7176626686_e50b061dfd_c.jpg

At the pits, a mechanic named Kaido watches the race-prepped car in action. He puts up a grin on his face upon being satisfied at that he sees.

Kaido: "Perfect. It seems he's back in his old racing days. He hasn't lost his touch after all."

When the car enters the pits, Michiharu steps out from it.

Kaido: "How's the car going?"

Michiharu: "It's...... insane."

Kaido: "Really?"

Michiharu: "It also makes you step the accelerator even harder because the performance is just addicting. It took my soul. Well, the car already took my soul the moment I bought it 15 years ago..."

Kaido: "Glad to hear that you love my work. Are you staging a comeback?"

Michiharu: "No... I'm already weak and weary. This is for my son, Takanori. This is my only way to make up for the time we lost together. Before my time comes, I have to make sure that this gift would be totally worth it for him."

Kaido: "I see. All you need to do now is give it back to him personally, huh?"

Michiharu: "Not now... I don't want it to be sudden."

Kaido: "So, do you want further adjustments to the car's suspension?"

Michiharu: "Thank you for asking that. Oh yes, the suspension still needs to be tweaked. I'm experiencing understeer and that has to be reduced. I can't get away from the fact that the R32's Achilles' Heel is the understeer, but that does not mean that we can't deal with it, right?"

Kaido: "You're absolutely right. I'll fix up the suspension. I'll load up the car back into the trailer."

Michiharu: "Let's call it a day."

At a hotel room, Axel still could not believe that he is Takanori's older half-brother. He stares at the sunset right at the balcony.

Axel: "The moment I met him last year, I did not really feel anger at all. He's so heartwarming. And now that I found out my connection to him, I feel shocked, but strangely, I am relieved. I don't know why. He may have an ordinary life, but he has a lot of positive aura around him that he makes friends easily. What does it feel to have a little brother?"

Then he gets out of the room and goes downstairs at the hotel's bar. He is at the table and the bartender approaches him.

Bartender: "What can I get for you sir?"

Axel: "I want your best Sake around."

Bartender: "Coming right up, sir."

The bartender prepares a bottle of warm Sake and a small glass.

Michiharu returns to his hotel room with take out food. Ben is watching the TV. Michiharu puts the food on the table and takes out some canned sodas for them to drink.

Ben: "How's the car?"

Michiharu: "670 horsepower and tons of downforce to harness it. It also has ultra wide slick tires to provide unrelenting grip."

Ben: "That's one hell of a car."

Michiharu: "670 horsepower in a GT-R is not surprising at all. Kids today can double it without problem. And that's pretty stupid."

Michiharu opens the cartons of food.

Ben: "Dinner time..."

The two are at the table and start eating.

Ben: "Why do you say that it's stupid?"

Michiharu: "The only problem of tuning a car that can reach a thousand horsepower is how one harnesses it. Would you believe that I only did basic tuning to my R32? One that even a blue collar job worker can afford."

Ben: "My R34 GT-R back home has 900 horsepower and it handled fine."

Michiharu: "Only because you are a skilled driver. What if your son drives it?"

Ben: "Next thing I know, that will be converted into a piece of furniture."

After Michiharu gulps the soda, he takes a deep breath.

Michiharu: "What will you tell to your son if your time is near?"

Ben: "Well, I'll spend a lot of time with him and tell him how much I love him. In your current condition, you must face Takanori."

Michiharu: "You're right. My lung cancer is already in its 3rd stage."

Ben: "Why did you keep that a secret? You even hired me to take care of you well-being, right?"

Michiharu: "As much as I am grateful for your endless service, I deserve to die. I did a lot of bad things in life and I cannot fix them. They're out of my control."

Ben: "You still can. Patch up your mistakes by talking to your two children."

Michiharu: "Takanori, yes. But Axel... I don't think he'll listen to me."

Ben: "Then at least do it to the person that is very close to you."

Michiharu: "I can feel that Takanori is very eager to see me... My guts tell me so."

End of Page 6

Part 2; Page 7:

After throwing the trash, Michiharu calls up Kaido. At the shop, Kaido is busy adjusting the R32's suspension settings.

Kaido: "Oh, it's you."

Michiharu: "I have another favor."

Kaido: "What is it?"

Michiharu: "My boy is getting sad, how about sending him over his training wheels?

Kaido: "What? Training wheels?"

Michiharu: "You know, the other car."

Kaido: "I see. I get it. Well, why would you intend your son to drive it?"

Michiharu: "He's gloomy and bored now that he doesn't have a car to race with. And besides, he's used to drive that kind of drivetrain layout."

Kaido: "Okay, it will be sent immediately."

At the Kanonji residence, Takanori plays GT5 in his room. He browses over the Dealership. He sees the Nissan Skyline R32 TC and stops to stare at it.

Takanori: "That car, I miss it a lot... Why is this happening?"

Then he hears a loud exhaust sound arriving and then he can absolutely hear the idle sound right at the doorstep. He goes down to check it out.

Takanori: "It's midnight, that sound disturbs the sleeping neighbors.

When he opens the door, he sees a yellow Honda Civic Type R EK9 parked right in front of him. Kaido steps out of the car and throws the car's key to Takanori. The boy catches it.

7233581454_bf6e5bcf8b_c.jpg

Takanori: "Who are you?"

Kaido: "That's none of your concern, boy. Drive this one for a while."

Takanori: "I won't drive it until you introduce yourself."

Kaido: "I'm your father's mechanic. Knowing that his R32 was stolen, I came here to give you this. How about you try it out? You're an expert on FFs, right? Besides, your father is here..."

Takanori: "Really!? Then take me to him!"

Kaido: "Only if you test drive this car. He wants your feedback. Knowing that you are in the world of racing, your father came out of seclusion."

Takanori: "Father..."

Kaido: "Well, time to go. Enjoy the car!"

Kaido walks away as Takanori looks on the keys and to the car.

Takanori: "Rollcage, bucket seats, custom gauges... it's surely tuned."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Takanori heads to Gan's mansion after school with the tuned Civic. Makoto takes a good look on the car as it arrives.

Makoto: "That sure is a serious Civic."

Takanori steps out from the car and opens the hood.

Takanori: "A lot has been done on the engine. Look...

Makoto: "Sweet. Hmmm... shall we put this on the dyno?"

Takanori: "Sure."

The car is put on the dyno. The results show that it has 274 horsepower.

Makoto: "Not bad."

Takanori: "It revs up to 9000 RPM."

Makoto: "Impressive tuning! Who tuned the car?"

Takanori: "My father's mechanic. He sent that car over to my house last night. He also told me that Dad is here."

Makoto: "Oh really!? Then you must see him."

Takanori: "That mechanic told me that he sent that car by my father's request. He wants my feedback since he told me that I am an "expert" in FFs."

Makoto: "You totally are. Well, let's head to Hakone. Let's flex this car's muscles."

Takanori: "Yeah, let's go."

End of page 7

Last edited:
Part 2; Page 8

At Hakone, the yellow EK9 devours through the traffic-less mountain pass. Makoto seems to enjoy the car's roaring engine sound at 9000 RPM.

Makoto: "I love the car's sound!"

Takanori does not reply as he is busy at his footwork and steering the wheel.

7273327304_475fd80f58_c.jpg

Makoto: "Concentrating, huh?"

Takanori: "Something's odd with this car. I can't put my finger on it..."

7273326028_6525f7b907_c.jpg

Takanori: "This car has a racing suspension and circuit-spec tires, but the handling does not seem right..."

At the next corner, he turns the steering wheel and he tries to point his car at the apex, but to no avail.

7273326666_08d503f81e_c.jpg

Takanori: "I know that it's natural for a front-wheel drive car to understeer, but..."

Makoto: "But what?"

Takanori: "It handles similar to a typical front wheel drive road car. This is a race car, you know?"

Makoto: "If you think about it, the car does struggle to clip the apex."

Then at a uphill hairpin, the EK9 passes through it without loss of power.

7273324794_d2ccd3d0cc_c.jpg

Takanori: "Well, at least it goes uphill without a problem. The high revving VTEC does now when to kick in."

Then approaching at the next hairpin, he turns-in early and now the car clips the apex.

7273327964_565525d11c_c.jpg

Takanori: "Interesting, turn-in early and the car responds well."

Makoto: "The EK9 is said to struggle with understeer, and this one is no exception. But knowing that you use to drive FFs, I think you can master this one easily."

Takanori: "Hot hatches of today handle better. Remember the MINI Countryman I drove back then? It's very nimble for its size."

7273324328_accc39af38_c.jpg

Overlooking the road is none other than Kaido. As he sees the EK9 pass by, he crosses his arms and puts up a grin on his face.

Kaido: "Heh, your father requested me to tune that EK9 that way. So that you can perfect your driving technique. I intentionally set it up for understeer."

Takanori drops off Makoto at her mansion in Tokyo at sunset after the run.

Makoto: "Well, whoever tuned that car, it's a hell of a machine."

Takanori: "My father..."

Makoto: "Huh?"

Takanori: "He's back."

Makoto: "Oh, then that's good! Have you talked already?"

Takanori: "Not yet. But the guy who gave me this car confirmed it. He's my father's mechanic, he says."

Makoto: "I'm sure you could talk to him. Him being here means that he's ready to talk to you."

Takanori: "What will I say? I can't just get mad..."

Makoto: "Just say what you feel. After all, you missed him a lot. You have to let him know."

Makoto: " Well, it was nice being with you today. See ya!"

She gets inside as the gates open. Takanori then leaves the premises.

At the hotel room's balcony, Michiharu opens the lighter to light the cigarette up. He creates smoke rings as he puffs along. Ben joins him outside as well.

Ben: "Shouldn't you stop that? You have lung cancer, right?"

Michiharu: "Even so, I'm doomed to vanish from this planet."

Ben: "If that's the case, are you ready to talk to Takanori?"

Michiharu: "Very much ready."

Ben: "You know, you deserve to live as much as everybody else. A second chance is waiting for you."

Michiharu: "Oh please. I have done a lot of bad things already. I have lived the life that I want and I ask for nothing more. After I talk to Takanori, then I can die in peace."

Ben: "Is that so?"

Then Michiharu's mobile phone rings inside the room. Michiharu picks it up. Kaido is on the other line.

Michiharu: "Oh Kaido! So, how's the "test car" that you lent to Takanori?"

Kaido: "He seems to struggle with it initially. But in the end, he managed to grasp it, somehow. He still needs to hone his driving skills."

Michiharu: "I see. Well, how's the R32's progress?"

Kaido: "I'm done fiddling with the suspension and brakes. Shall I return it back to him?"

Michiharu: "No. Let me test it first."

Kaido: "Got it."

Michiharu: "We shall head back to Tsukuba this weekend to test it."

The call ends. Michiharu puffs out another smoke ring from his mouth.

Michiharu: "Just wait for a bit longer, my son. I promise you, it will be the greatest thing on four wheels."

End of Page 8

Back