READ THE OP! GTP Cool Wall Nomination Thread [Always accepting more cars!]

• Thread starter Snikle
  • 3,560 comments
The one that had 20 cars produced, yes. The wikipedia article is a tad fuzzy but I can try to update the post. :)

The article I linked contains more accurate information including torque figures, which is worth adding to your nomination post.

The only way I could see to boost engagement would be to allow any car nominated before a certain point to be renominated. (Perhaps when the meh rating was introduced, or some other arbitrary point). The makeup of the forum and people's general opinions will have changed enough in the 8 or 9 years since the wall was started that drastically different results could occur for some cars. Other possibility would be to reallow race cars, highly controversial, but it'd increase the pool of nominatable cars.

Otherwise, maybe it's time for this to be put on hold. It's been a good run, with a lot of ups and downs, but I feel the point may have been reached where there just aren't that many cars left worth discussing, and that makes me kind of sad. Maybe it could become an irregular thing, with new walls whenever an interesting new car came along (or someone remembered one which had previously slipped everyone else's mind). If it got on the front page engagement might see a boost too.

1992-1999 Volkswagen Jetta
used-1995-volkswagen-jetta-powerglassmoonroof-1186-11117850-52-1024.jpg

Body Style: 4-door sedan
Engine:
2.0L I4
2.8L VR6
1.9L turbodiesel I4
Power: 90-172hp
Torque: 122-173lb-ft
Weight: 1200-1340kg
Transmission:
5-speed manual
4-speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front engine, front wheel drive

Last edited:
1985-1989 Toyota Celica
1024px-1988_Toyota_Celica_%28ST162%29_SX_liftback_%282015-11-11%29_01.jpg

Body Style: Two-door coupe, two-door convertible, three-door liftback
Engine:
1.6 I4 4A
1.6L I4 4A-GE
1.8L I4 1S-iLU (1832cc)
1.8L I4 4S-Fi (1838cc)
2.0L I4 2S-ELC (1995cc)
2.0L I4 3S-FE (1998cc)
2.0L I4 3S-GE (1998cc)
Power: 86-156 hp
Torque: 100-128 ft/lbs
Weight: 1160kg
Transmission: 5 speed manual, 4 speed automatic
Drivetrain: Front-engine front-wheel drive
Additional Information: Nomination does not include the GT-Four and All Trac models.

Last edited:
2005 - 2010 Vauxhall Zafira VXR

vx_05264.jpg

Body style:
5-door MPV
Engine: 2.0l I4 Turbo
Power: 197 - 237hp
Torque: 193 - 236lb ft
Weight: 1434kg
Transmission: 6-speed manual
Drivetrain: Front-engine, front-wheel drive
Additional information: This car was also sold outside of the UK as the Opel Zafira OPC.

OThjMmYwOGY2OGRlMWQ4MzdkYmRlMjI1YjkzYWQ3Ymbu6HS23s-xmIUM6vfFJqyiaHR0cDovL2Itc3RhdGljLmFkc2ltZy5jb20vMi9sYXJnZS8xMzA4MzYtWmFmaXJhX09wY18wMDguanBnfHx8fHx8NjQweDQ4MHxodHRwOi8vd3d3LmFkdmVydHMuaWUvc3RhdGljL2kvd2F0ZXJtYXJrLnBuZ3x8fA==.jpg

vx_05269.jpg

Note - from what I can work out, the Opel Zafira OPC was initially sold with the 197hp engine in 2005, but the Vauxhall Zafira VXR seems to only offer the 236hp engine with the 197hp engine only sold in the Vauxhall Zafira SRi instead. I wasn't sure if it was offered with the less powerful engine under the VXR name so I put it down just in case, but if anyone else knows more about performance MPVs than I do then feel free to correct me.

1980-1993 Ferrari Mondial

ferrari-mondial-8-214488324-1.jpg

Body Style: 2-door 2+2 coupé, 2-door 2+2 cabriolet
Engine: 2.9L V8, 3.2L V8, 3.4L V8
Power: 214 hp (2.9 Mondial 8), 235 hp (3.0 QV), 270 hp (3.2), 300 hp (3.4 Mondial t)
Torque: 179 ft-lbs (8), 188 ft-lbs (QV), 224 ft-lbs (3.2), 238 ft-lbs (t)
Weight: 1540-1570 kg (coupé), 1570-1607 kg (cabriolet)
Transmission: 5-speed manual, 5-speed Valeo clutchless manual /semi-automatic
Drivetrain: Mid-engined, rear-wheel drive​

Last edited:
2001-2003 Mercedes-Benz C32 AMG (W203)
upload_2017-10-12_11-5-38.png

Body Style: 5 Door Sedan/Wagon
Engine: AMG "M112" 3.2 Supercharged V6
Power: 350 BHP
Torque: 332 FT-LBS
Weight: 1635 KG
Transmission: 5 Speed Automatic
Drivetrain: Front Engine Rear Wheel Drive
Additional Information: The Mercedes-Benz C-Class (W203) is a 4 door sedan produced from July 2000 to December 2006. The first AMG model went on sale in 2001, with a 3.2 V6 to match the performance of the new BMW M3. It's 3.2 V6 combined with a supercharger allowed it to produce 350 BHP and a 0-60 time of 5.2 seconds with a limited top speed of 155 MPH, with a Nordschliefe time of 8:37, 25 seconds slower than an E46 M3 (although this time would be matched by the succeeding C55 AMG). Despite having more power than it's rivals, the C32 remained economical, averaging 20 MPG (US), making it 4% more economical than an E46 M3. Most C32's were sold as sedans although there were a select few wagons built. The C32 finished production in 2003 when it was replaced by the V8 powered C55 AMG.
upload_2017-10-12_10-52-48.png
upload_2017-10-12_11-5-18.png
upload_2017-10-12_11-5-38.png
upload_2017-10-12_11-5-49.png
upload_2017-10-12_11-6-18.png
upload_2017-10-12_11-6-47.png
upload_2017-10-12_11-7-4.png
upload_2017-10-12_11-7-22.png

Last edited:
2015-2017 McLaren 675LT Coupé

mclaren_675lt_01.jpg

Body Style: 2-door coupé
Engine: 3.8L twin-turbocharged V8
Power: 666hp
Torque: 515ft lbs
Weight: 1,328kg/2,927lb
Transmission: 7-speed dual clutch automatic
Drivetrain: mid-engined, rear-wheel drive
Additional Information: Inspired by the McLaren F1 "Longtail", the company's answer to the Ferrari 458 Speciale could hit 62mph/100km/h from standstill in 2.9 seconds, and carry on to a top speed of 205mph/330km/h. Only 500 were produced, with all examples sold to customers before production even started.

2015-Mclaren675LT-08.jpg

Mantis-Green-McLaren-675LT-2.jpg

the-mclaren-675lt-is-the-supercar-for-high-tech-speed-worshippers.jpg

2016-Mclaren-675LT-top-view.jpg

d5s_6259-2.jpg

1986-1992 Lancia Thema 8.32
thema.jpg

Body Style: 4 Door Sedan
Engine: 2.9L 32 Valve V8
Power: 202 - 212 BHP
Torque: 194 - 214 lb-ft
Weight: 1400kg
Transmission: 5 Speed Manual
Drivetrain: Front Engine Front Wheel drive.
Additional Information: With Lancia looking to add some status to it's then pretty tame Thema Range, they decided to call Ferrari to use their Fito V8 from the 308 quattrovalvole, when this was released it was one of the fastest Sedans on the market with a very unique V8.

Taking a few days off in deepest darkest Cornwall, so no polls or updated results until Tuesday at the earliest.

I might as well call last orders now and close nominations once I'm back. If you want to post something then now is the time.

Last edited:
After letting it sit open for an extra week and with no interest whatsoever since my last message, I've decided to close nominations.

1122 polls (as of tomorrow) and 8 years of almost unbroken activity is an impressive run indeed, but with dying interest over the last few months and the results thread OP hitting its character limit*, I see little reason to keep it ticking over in its current form. There's a sizeable pool of data and plenty of memorable debates to sift through, so to say it hasn't left a sizeable mark on GTP would be more than a little bit untrue.

And of course, it was a pleasure to run it.

Thanks to @TheBook, @Tornado, @Joey D, @boiltheocean, @BKGlover, @White & Nerdy, @Jahgee1124 and @GranTurismo916 for being the former proprietors of the GTP Cool Wall. Also, a big thanks to @Joey D again for establishing the clear rules and standards currently in place.

*For anyone interested in taking over in the future (or once collective interest reaches a point where people are actively asking for the return of the CW), PM me and we can have @Jordan split the results into separate posts as well as hand over the reigns.

Last edited:
Thank you for your service @Wiegert. Of course, as soon as the wall closes my brain rushes with potential nominations. Maybe for another time. It's bought good times and bad, but the wall has been a fascinating insight into the aesthetic perspectives of a certain subset of petrolheads. Thank you.

It's definitely larger than I first thought.

Made it trickier to pick ones that hadn't already been nominated, but in the end, that was half the fun in finding the ones that I eventually put forward: a little bit more was learnt in the research process.

It's however a shame it's finally been closed, I only got one car nominated as things took over, but surely what I nominated wasn't bad.

Appreciate the support of a veteran, Wiegert. The Cool Wall has it's ran through it's course. Unless people desire for it to go longer.

Aw man, that's a shame. Just getting back on GTP after a long hiatus, was really looking forward to revisiting the ol' Cool Wall. I suppose the time and place for it has passed, there's only so many different cars and opinions. Hope to see a return someday, and would be happy to help with such an endeavor should an opportunity arise.

After a nearly two-year hiatus, I am excited to announce that the GTP Cool Wall is back in business!!! First off, a special thanks to @Wiegert for allowing me to revive and curate the Wall. This is something I had wanted to do for quite a long time, and now it's finally a reality.

The format, rules, and requirements of the "old" Cool Wall will mostly stay the same, though there will be a few changes made:

-First, and foremost, the way in which cars are to be nominated has changed dramatically, and for the better! Members will no longer have to research a car's specs, pictures, and additional info to make a nomination. I will take care of all of that! All one needs to do in order to correctly make a nomination is list the make, model, and if necessary, the year/generation name in their nomination. As curator, I will find the car's specs and pictures, to save the community time and effort. For the "additional information" section of the nomination, I will not include any information pertaining to the car, unless the nominator includes any in their nomination, to avoid bias. I know it may seem ridiculous for me to want to do more work for the CW, but I figured that if I did not require members to do research about the car they wish to nominate, there would naturally be more nominations in the queue!

Sample nomination, under the new format: 1999-2002 Nissan Skyline GT-R (though don't nominate this car. as it has already been nominated). That's all the information that is required.

-Second, members are allowed to nominate up to two different cars at once, instead of one, like before, and this would be allowed indefinitely. I am allowing this in hopes to boost the number of nominations in the queue.

-Third, polls will now stay open for ten days, as opposed to seven, so that less-active members have an extended period of time to vote and comment in Cool Wall threads.

-This is not a change I am implementing for sure, but I have thought about it. I may allow race cars to be nominated once again, but as this is a controversial topic, I do not want to upset the community by allowing this, without their feedback. Here is the thread where y'all can vote whether or not race cars should be allowed to be nominated:

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...ol-wall-once-again-poll.389203/#post-12830477

Concept cars, however, will remain un-allowed for nomination.

-Finally, I will consult with the staff and hopefully have them sticky this thread (not sure why it isn't stickied already), so that if nominations are running low, this thread wouldn't be buried at the bottom of the page, or even the 2nd page.

Per usual, if you have any questions, suggestions, clarifications, or concerns, feel free to let me know in this thread!

Nominations are open, effective immediately. As aforementioned, up to two cars are now able to be nominated, and no research is needed! The first poll will go up next Tuesday (8/20), and like before, a thread will go up every two days. If the number of cars in the queue becomes excessive, a poll will go up daily instead. I am very optimistic about the future of the Cool Wall, and I'm hoping it'll reach the success it had years ago!

Last edited:
Members will no longer have to research a car's specs, pictures, and additional info to make a nomination. I will take care of all of that!
Not sure how I feel about this. In the past, I've seen curators flub up details about cars or in one occasion, used a rather unflattering picture of a car rather than the one provided in the nomination.

Not sure how I feel about this. In the past, I've seen curators flub up details about cars or in one occasion, used a rather unflattering picture of a car rather than the one provided in the nomination.
If you do not feel comfortable with the curator researching the specs and pictures, you are still free to make a nomination in the old format if you'd like.

For finding specifications of a car, I use the same source virtually every time (Automobile Catalog). It has all the required specs for almost every production car. In terms of pictures, I will mostly use press photos if possible, to eliminate bias.

Latest Posts

Back