Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
So, my dad got me a Sig Romeo1 Reflex sight for Christmas.

sig_sauer_sor11005_romeo1_1x30_open_reflex_1264796.jpg

This clearly left me with no choice but to purchase this accessory for it:

View attachment 702371

So now it looks like this:

View attachment 702373

View attachment 702374

View attachment 702375

Hopefully it will actually be in the 60's on Saturday like the forecast says so I can get out to the range to try it out.
Logical conclusion: Convert it into a race gun and go speed shooting.
(joke)

Edit: Would you guys mind if I shared my replica airsoft M1903A3 when it arrives?

Whats a better way to celebrate your birthday than getting a new firearm? I cant think of any! :dopey:

Got myself a Swiss 1911 Carbine, which is IMO the best manually operated military rifle ever created because of the steel quality, the speed of the straight pull action, the great sights, the sweet match-grade trigger, the 6+1 capacity, the full length hand guard ( no barrel heat mirage), best stripper clips and the excellent 7.5x55 round, which is basically a slightly larger .308. If I had to go to war with a bolt action rifle, this would be my choice.

k11carbine.jpg

Whats a better way to celebrate your birthday than getting a new firearm? I cant think of any! :dopey:

Got myself a Swiss 1911 Carbine, which is IMO the best manually operated military rifle ever created because of the steel quality, the speed of the straight pull action, the great sights, the sweet match-grade trigger, the 6+1 capacity, the full length hand guard ( no barrel heat mirage), best stripper clips and the excellent 7.5x55 round, which is basically a slightly larger .308. If I had to go to war with a bolt action rifle, this would be my choice.

k11carbine.jpg
I would love to be able to get my hands on one in that kind of condition! I've read/watched countless articles about their accuracy and I couldn't imagine what it would be like to take one to a range.

That said, I've finally gotten my reloading bench/desk finished, and I'm just waiting for the shell holders to come tomorrow to get my first run-through done for my Mauser.

I would love to be able to get my hands on one in that kind of condition! I've read/watched countless articles about their accuracy and I couldn't imagine what it would be like to take one to a range.
It is an extremely accurate rifle and all the myths are true, the fun thing is its still a combat rifle, not a target rifle. The Swiss really created a cool rifle with this.

That said, I've finally gotten my reloading bench/desk finished, and I'm just waiting for the shell holders to come tomorrow to get my first run-through done for my Mauser.
Thats very good, if you need any tips don't hesitate to ask, I've been rolling my own rounds for many years now. Be careful with the powder charges!

Last edited:
While you guys are on a classic rifle streak, might as well chip in with a lovely airsoft replica I just got.

S&T M1903A3:

IMG_20180103_231433.jpg
IMG_20180104_101353.jpg
IMG_20180104_101257.jpg
IMG_20180104_101406.jpg
IMG_20180103_225538.jpg
IMG_20180103_225547.jpg

It's balanced and made like the real life model, and I love it. I definitely have to get a real 1903A3 once I get my gun license.

So um.... I said I really liked your swiss..... I really like my G98 now :lol:

Literally the day after I stopped by one of my local shops and here's the story behind it:
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?915378-Spotted-G98-at-local-shop-Opinions-(Worth-300-)

Thats a G98M Reichswehr Gewehr 98. The WWI G98 had the famous roller coaster sights and a polished receiver, after the war some of those rifles were modified with the simpler and newer tangent sight (k98k sight) and were blued entirely. They were used in the Reichswehr, which was the German military between the two wars. Many of these were later converted into K98k's but some stayed in this configuration and continued to serve in the 2nd world war. Which is really cool, a rifle that fought in two world wars. Needless to say bubba-ing this rifle would be an atrocity.

German Reichswehr troops with the rifle during some gas drills. (Notice the doggo gas mask :lol: )

d342a777ae6664f28f2c3a05338f6fe6.jpg

What I highly recommend with old guns is re-oiling the stock with pure linseed oil furbish. This is to preserve the wood, also dried out stocks are prone to cracking, splitting and warping which has a pretty bad effect on the rifles accuracy (and also value). Linseed oil is the original way to oil rifle stocks. Before you apply it simply GENTLY rub down th stock with the finest steel wool, just to make the surface accept the oil. Let it dry for 24 hours. Don't forget to oil the inside too, and rub the steel wool with the grain, never rub in circles or against the grain. You can re-oil the stock several times for maximum effect, just let it dry properly. Rifles with properly oiled stocks shoot better, they have tougher stocks, the feel better to the touch and they look better too.

Dealing with pitting is easier, you have to stop the active oxidation process, simply take fine steel wool and WD40 and remove the rust via scrubbing. Don't use too much pressure or you will make ugly scratches into the steel.
Personally, I find re-bluing old rifles not sacrilegious if its to refinish rifles that were polished to stop rust.

Last edited:

k11carbine.jpg

Funnily enough, that's what I just picked up too. I shot a bunch of rifles from a Mosin Nagant to an AK-47 semi auto and some obscure ones such as an italian rifle whose model i don't remember I don't remember and was informed by my new broker that the best beginner rifle for me (this is indeed my first weapon purchase) would be a Swiss 1911.

Mine started life out as a model 1896 before it was converted to 1911-spec so that technically makes it an 1896/11. Another cool fact is that mine was privatized by the person who used it during the war as it has a P36 marking on the reciever. I was also informed that there's a document under the butt stock that would tell me more about who used it and when it was built. I'll probably crack it open and see, one of these days.

L4lABrS.jpg

More pictures here

Naturally ran out of loop field real estate. If I ever get a rifle bag, that'll receive the FOX unit badge for sure. I friggin love the diamond dogs patch though. Perfect fit.
20180105_205021.jpg
20180105_204946.jpg

Funnily enough, that's what I just picked up too. I shot a bunch of rifles from a Mosin Nagant to an AK-47 semi auto and some obscure ones such as an italian rifle whose model i don't remember I don't remember and was informed by my new broker that the best beginner rifle for me (this is indeed my first weapon purchase) would be a Swiss 1911.
The swiss 1911 makes indeed a fine beginners rifle because they are always in pretty good shape, easy to use, have good sights, are extremely accurate and they do not suffer from any design flaws. The only thing that can be problematic is getting ammo, 7.5x55 is not as common as lets say 7.62x54r (Mosin Nagant) or other newer calibers. Guess you'll just have to buy a bunch of it when it pops up.
Its super easy to reload though, brass can be found very easily, you can use .308 / 7.62 bullets and there are no surprises.

Also the action is so cool, especially when it is lubed correctly - Buttery smooth and so fast, a total joy to cycle.

BTW, the Italian rifle was probably a 6.5mm Carcano.

Last edited:
Naturally ran out of loop field real estate.
My friend...... I did order couple of patches for my backpack & I feel really bad about this, but they are gonna pwn your tactical patches.... big time.

:lol:

But seriously, they will.

So, the Glock 19X has been announced.

Glock_19X_1.5a53843c344bd.jpg

glock_19xb.5a53842e7dfce.jpg

I think this will be my next gun purchase. I was originally going to get a Gen 5 Glock 19 but I quite like this firearm. One of the perks of being in Law Enforcement is the blue label pricing on Glock pistols so instead of the $750 asking price, I can get it for $455. More than likely, I won't conceal carry it because my Glock 43 fits the bill for that perfectly, but this seems like quite a fun range gun. Hell, I might even use it as my duty weapon for a bit as my Glock 35 is quite a hefty thing, but my department has a policy against colored guns, I'm not quite sure if that applies if the gun comes from the factory that way, though...

Thats a G98M Reichswehr Gewehr 98. The WWI G98 had the famous roller coaster sights and a polished receiver, after the war some of those rifles were modified with the simpler and newer tangent sight (k98k sight) and were blued entirely. They were used in the Reichswehr, which was the German military between the two wars. Many of these were later converted into K98k's but some stayed in this configuration and continued to serve in the 2nd world war. Which is really cool, a rifle that fought in two world wars. Needless to say bubba-ing this rifle would be an atrocity.

German Reichswehr troops with the rifle during some gas drills. (Notice the doggo gas mask :lol: )

d342a777ae6664f28f2c3a05338f6fe6.jpg

What I highly recommend with old guns is re-oiling the stock with pure linseed oil furbish. This is to preserve the wood, also dried out stocks are prone to cracking, splitting and warping which has a pretty bad effect on the rifles accuracy (and also value). Linseed oil is the original way to oil rifle stocks. Before you apply it simply GENTLY rub down th stock with the finest steel wool, just to make the surface accept the oil. Let it dry for 24 hours. Don't forget to oil the inside too, and rub the steel wool with the grain, never rub in circles or against the grain. You can re-oil the stock several times for maximum effect, just let it dry properly. Rifles with properly oiled stocks shoot better, they have tougher stocks, the feel better to the touch and they look better too.

Dealing with pitting is easier, you have to stop the active oxidation process, simply take fine steel wool and WD40 and remove the rust via scrubbing. Don't use too much pressure or you will make ugly scratches into the steel.
Personally, I find re-bluing old rifles not sacrilegious if its to refinish rifles that were polished to stop rust.
I do have some BLO from when I refinished the stock on my Mosin, but after I brought it home a light exterior wipe of the stock with a rag and some light simple green cleaned it up a bit. The inside was much more brittle however and I noticed that I had a better chance to preserve it by just using various wire/hair brushes to scrape off the top, brittle layer while keep the delicate areas safe.

I might apply some of the BLO to it and see how it does but I prefer not to have a greasy mess of a rifle.

I can confirm that it glows like the sun:

24274764_1983389548566567_8662590543701737472_n.jpg

Tritium is kind of overrated though. I'm hoping it helps me in daylight though. I can barely focus on my front post with regular 3-dots. It's even harder thanks to my constant fogging issue.

Hey guys. I'm in Orlando right now, and Machine Gun America is close by. For those out of the loop, it's a gun range where all of the weapons are full-auto.

They even have a full auto AR-15 chambered for .50 Beowulf. Seriously.

I wanted to ask you guys: Since I've never shot full auto, do you guys have any recommendations for a good platform to use that won't kick violently?

Here's their page. I've seen an M60 in the images too.

Hey guys. I'm in Orlando right now, and Machine Gun America is close by. For those out of the loop, it's a gun range where all of the weapons are full-auto.

They even have a full auto AR-15 chambered for .50 Beowulf. Seriously.

I wanted to ask you guys: Since I've never shot full auto, do you guys have any recommendations for a good platform to use that won't kick violently?

Here's their page. I've seen an M60 in the images too.

Most machine guns don’t kick that bad and the ones that do are mounted to things like vehicles. M60 is cool and always wanted to shoot one but when I was in the military they were already phased out with M240s. Something like a SAW would probably be good for you.

Glock G43(2 of these), Ruger LC9S , Sig P320, Glock 17 clone from 80% lower, 2 AR15s in 5.56x45 from 80% lowers(one in FDE, and One in Titanium Blue), 1 AR15 in 9mm, 1 AR15 in .22lr, Marlin Model 25n, Marlin Model 60, Winchester Model 94 (pre 64). No shot guns , need some though.

Soon to arrive Sig P365.

Edit: forgot this one(don't know how I forgot being it's my favorite rifle)

DPMS Hunter in .308 (I had the barrel treaded to add a muzzle break)

Last edited:
I'm pretty dumb, so it took me sometime to figure this one out. Actually, I didn't figure it out. lol Last time we went shooting, my buddy brought out a folding table? Great way to stage your guns, etc. while shooting in the field, woods..... Before this revolutionary discovery, we'd set stuff on a tarp, long gun cases, tailgate of a truck, ammo can....... :lol: So today, I picked up one of these. It was lot cheaper at the local Walmart for some reason($34 & change).

So I've been picking up some gun/shooting related accessories. Last week, I finally bought my own stapler gun to set up targets, thread lock/loctite for my red dot that fell off, gun cleaning tray(w/tools), and also one of these:

gtp.jpg

It's a 2013, but I gotta good deal on it. Now I can go shooting in the woods without trying to bum a ride from somebody with truck/SUV. :embarrassed:

I forgot: Welcome to the thread @GTP_Remo 👍

So I put another 300 rounds through my 509. I finally got it to lock open with the 124 grainers. It didn't always do that, but I'm at least making progress. I figured out what the problem is as I was cleaning it. So my grip puts my thumb under the slide release. However, the U-shaped bar that allows the slide release to be ambidextrous is very flimsy in the horizontal plane. The back of the bar that slides against the frame is angled so that it digs into the frame, so if it makes any contact with the frame whatsoever, the bar bites into the frame rather than moving up into position.

Here are my first few groups:
1, 2, 5, then 6, at 7-yards. 4 then 3 at 8-yards. Got the kinks out as I finished the squares. Then I put a full magazine of slow, steady headshots at 10-yards.

Y6TIVxh.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how the gun shoots at this point. I've been doing a lot of hand exercises in the gym with the gripper machine. It's helped a lot.
hammer_strength_gripper.jpg

They finally had the P10C on the shelf so I asked to handle it and also the sig P320. After an hour of shooting my 509, when I put the CZ in my hand I almost ripped the slide off the frame when I went to rack it. :lol: Maybe I just have a weird gun but this confirmed to me how ridiculously heavy the spring is. :lol:

Went shooting today. Very exciting for me, because I actually drove myself into the woods!

In this pic are three of my latest shooting accessories:

00000000000000000.jpg

5.11 Rush 12 backpack, folding table & 2013 Ford Edge! :embarrassed: New chapter in plinking for me amirite. Couple more pics:

00000000000000.jpg

Just focused on my Bushmaster AR(.308), Glock 19 & USP today. I'm finally figuring out the trigger control & had good results with the handguns from 40~50 yards.

000000000000000000.jpg

0000000000000000000.jpg

Last time I sighted the red dot in, it fell off the rifle at the very end. Used Loctite on it this time. :dopey: If interested, more pics on my blog.

Back