Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
First time ever I reloaded this cartridge. 7,65x53mm Argentine. If I did not handload this cartridge would be near unobtainable and shooting the rifle would not be possible except on special occasions. The last time military ammo was made in this caliber was the 1930's and there is only one manufacturer who still makes this caliber on special runs.

I even loaded Sierra Matchking Hollowpoints for the edge in accuracy.

uLdnxvB.jpg

Thanks for the tip! I haven't even gotten any ammo yet so I can do a little research to see what other guys with this rifle recommend. But thanks for giving me an excuse for when I inevitably miss a lot :lol:
I'm the farthest thing from a sharp shooter, but for reliability, CCI has perfect operational record in my guns.

For $.08 a shot, I can't complain :D But I couldn't resist getting some Blazer on a Black Friday sale that was 1000 rounds for $40 either. It worked well enough I guess, but I had some major problems with the spent cases not ejecting today.

Basically after every 10 or 15 rounds tops, one wouldn't eject and I'd have to pry it out (which wasn't hard at least). Then I'd go run a bore snake through it a few times and then clean out the chamber with a cotton patch and some oil as best as I could. Another 10 rounds later, same thing. This was all with the Blazer ammo, but a handful from my first batch of CCIs did this as well.

Some quick Googling suggests this isn't an uncommon issue among Savage Arms .22LRs... I wish I had seen that beforehand lol. So a few questions...
  1. Can my choice of ammo be the culprit?
  2. Is this happening because my stuff just wasn't clean enough?
  3. Or is it worth contacting Savage Arms and seeing if they can take a look at it? I bought it at Cabela's so I guess I could take it to them as well. I've only had it for a few weeks with 225 rounds through it so I'm unsure of why this is already an issue.

My first rifle was a .22LR Remington 597, and experience with the horrible reliability of this rifle scarred me for life. :crazy:

Blazer & CCI are couple of .22 ammo that has yet to fail me, but that doesn't mean there's something wrong with the rifle either. I know nothing about bolt-actions, but this would be like "the" question for @Michael88

I would definitely try different brands of ammo, and I realize I'm a dummie on the subject, but would lubing more help with a problem like this? I don't know. You are already cleaning it, so you are probably lubing real good, too.

I decided to hit google before I posted & this guy's theory's interesting.

Hm, cases stuck like that is not normal, even when the chamber is very dirty. Due to the camming surface of the bolt action system extraction should be possible even with the dirtiest chamber.

Check for these things:

Is there an unusual amount of brass shavings visible around the extractor claws or chamber area?
Is there dirt accumulating under the extractor claws / bolt face
Do the sticky cases show any kind of damage on their rims?

I think it might be a problem with the extractor claws, inspect them very carefully - do they have clean sharp or rounded edges (Where the claws hold the rim of the case). If the surfaces of the claws are too round or slightly damaged the rifle will extract brass from clean chambers but slip off slightly sticky cases.
Take the bolt out and slip a fired case onto the face of the bolt. Pull on it (Sensibly), the claws should hold the case tightly and resist a lot of straight pulling. If the case is released easily there is a problem with the claws.

Can you make a picture of the claws and bolt face? This surface is very important, it needs to have sharp clean edges.

BlyLasZ.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys! Unfortunately I didn't save any of the sticky cases but I will next time. I just looked at my bolt again and did actually see some dirt underneath the extractor claws. I missed that when cleaning last night but just attacked it with a dab of oil and a brush. Overall it looks much cleaner now. For the sake of science, here are some shots before I cleaned it again.

boltface.jpg extractor.jpg

I figured the silhouette would do a better job of seeing how sharp/clean the extractor was. Maybe that's enough to cause the problem? If so, I'll keep a better eye on that next time I shoot and try to keep it cleaner 👍

Also, on that video above I saw a comment about a guy who had the problem because he had over-oiled the bolt. Every time I had an FTE, I would get a lightly oiled patch and try to clean the chamber and bolt face. Maybe that was part of the problem too?

Either way, I'll go to a range before work this week and see if that improves things. If not... I guess it's time to contact Savage. Thanks for all the help :cheers:

Bought this from a friend on Friday. It's a FNS 9mm. Comes with high Night Sights and the standard ones, three mags, and a threaded barrel, with the standard one as well. On Monday, I'll take it out to one of the indoor ranges near me, and see how it feels. I shot it suppressed a few years ago, from that same friend, but don't remember too much on how it felt. I'm almost 5 months in on waiting for my suppressor. I'll just have to pick up a different piston for the suppressor, for it to work on here, since the suppressor I'm getting is a Osprey 45, that I plan on using on my RIA 1911 as well.

20171124_205634858_iOS.jpg

I figured the silhouette would do a better job of seeing how sharp/clean the extractor was. Maybe that's enough to cause the problem? If so, I'll keep a better eye on that next time I shoot and try to keep it cleaner 👍

Also, on that video above I saw a comment about a guy who had the problem because he had over-oiled the bolt. Every time I had an FTE, I would get a lightly oiled patch and try to clean the chamber and bolt face. Maybe that was part of the problem too?

Either way, I'll go to a range before work this week and see if that improves things. If not... I guess it's time to contact Savage. Thanks for all the help :cheers:

As far as I can tell from the pictures the claws look good, the left extractor is beveled so the case can tilt and thrown out to the right side. Though thats quite a lot of grease / dirt under the left extractor, this could be the cause of your extraction problems. I always use a brass wire brush to remove dirt under the extractor. And I suggest doing the brass test next time when you are on the range. If something is wrong the test will definitely show it.

Keep us posted!

@GregTheStig If it were me, I'd start carrying some kind of brush in the bag with the rifle. Best of luck! 👍

I actually already have, I just now noticed how useful it would've [potentially] been in this case :D I won't leave without it now.

As far as I can tell from the pictures the claws look good, the left extractor is beveled so the case can tilt and thrown out to the right side. Though thats quite a lot of grease / dirt under the left extractor, this could be the cause of your extraction problems. I always use a brass wire brush to remove dirt under the extractor. And I suggest doing the brass test next time when you are on the range. If something is wrong the test will definitely show it.

Keep us posted!

It was nearly the same under the right extractor too, maybe a little worse actually. I used a brush from my 12G kit to get it all out and I'll be sure to keep it with me every time now. And I'll definitely keep that brass test in mind next time 👍 Thanks for all your help!

Well my FTE saga continues. I went to a range today and fired off the remaining 25 rounds of CCI and 50 rounds of Blazer.

With CCI, not a single round had an issue with ejection/extraction.

With the Blazer, I would have an issue once every 5 shots to start. Towards the end, it happened 10 times in a row, even after brushing off the bolt face (which looked pretty clean already) and cleaning out the chamber area as best as I could. I'd even alternate - after having a few FTEs with Blazer, I'd go back to a mag of CCI and it worked fine.

I did save a few Blazer shots that had troubles extracting and did that test Michael had mentioned. I tug with a decent amount of force and the extractors seem to hang on as they should.

I'm still gonna try to contact Savage and see if there's something they can do. Otherwise, I guess I'm sticking to CCI with this thing and hoping it doesn't happen again... sfter I sell off the 800 rounds of Blazer I have left lol

I've had good experience with Blazer, but again, both my .22's are semiautomatics.

I wonder if the problem is on the bolt side, or the chamber side. I'd definitely try contacting Savage, also google the heck out of this subject. I went through stuff like this with my very first firearm(also .22 rifle), and I got really careful on future purchases after that. My Remington 597 jammed I think after every 3, 4 rounds. :crazy:

A little off topic and airsoft related, but does anyone know where I might be able to snag a stock for a revolver?

Need/want it for my airsoft revolver. Alternatively, I might be looking for a 1911 stock of some kind for when I replace my EF-RG with a 1911 tac (basically a 1911 with an underbarrel rail) for airsoft. Don't worry about if it would block the standard magazine, since I can replace that with extended ones.

Figured you guys were my best shot at a high quality answer.

Last edited:
I don't know anything about handgun stock, or airsoft, so I'm out. :crazy:

I just stopped by to let you guys know that Botach is offering 25% off on 5.11 gears(code 25off511). My hunt for shooting/range bag is finally over:

5.11 Rush 12

0_5t56954_600.jpg

I was going to cheap out & get something around $20~$30, but it's been a long search + I finally got a nudge from one of my coworkers & I did again decide to buy something that won't need to be replaced in a few years.

I've been a Maxpedition guy, but not only were they super expensive to begin with, have you seen their prices lately? They are going really crazy, I didn't even look at anything they were offering this time. 5.11 is a brand I like, also liked this pack from a brand I didn't know anything about:

Direct Action - Dust

Direct-Action-Dust-Alt.jpg

Both this & 5.11 Rush 12 were $140, but the 25% off was the tiebreaker. I really like medium sized backpacks for shooting/range bags. 👍 There were few other nice packs that didn't list the water resistance as one of the features. In Oregon, that's a big no-no.

P.S. Don't buy 5.11 packs on eBay. I'm pretty sure lot of those are counterfeit. At least don't buy from China.

Finally got my paper work approved for my suppressor, after a 5 month wait. Which isn’t too bad really, considering some people had to wait 9-12 months, to get their paper work approved.

It's a SilencerCo Opsrey 45, haven't used it yet, but hopefully later today I can take it out and run the first rounds through it.

6E9077F0-90F2-46FA-BFD9-351DAC0CEB32.jpeg

Speaking of bags, @a6m5, Opticsplanet is having a great deal on Vertx stuff. I got the A range bag for 20% off plus a 14% off coupon for range bags. They have 20% off all Vertx stuff and a 10% sitewide coupon too. I'm getting the Commuter sling too, with all the accessory stuff.

edit: they also have a ton of stuff for 40% off, including most of the 5.11 things. Yes, even bags.

Last edited:
Thanks, but I didn't find any deals, or anything I need. :crazy:

I did finally get my 5.11 pack today & it is SO AWESOME. I'm glad I did a little research first. Size & fit is absolutely perfect for me & what I'm going to use it for. Glad I spent extra on the milticam, too. It looks so great. :embarrassed::tup:

I went a little crazy with my vertx stuff. Will definitely do a full write up when everything comes in. The A range pack should definitely let me have a centralized system from which to maintain my firearms. And hopefully I can use the commuter in the future as an edc workhorse

My commuter bag came in today. I'm so glad I got the commuter instead of the transit. It's nice and small and compact on my body. It looks absolutely enormous on the people on youtube. The transit bag would have been comically small on me. I love the concept of the Vertx bags but the draw is pretty awkward so far from the left hand. Once I load it with my stuff it should be better. But the whole system of grabbing the "Go-tab" is genius. I really makes it a breeze to get the sling in position to draw.

Pictures @Omnis !!

Went shooting yesterday.

g.jpg

My Gen 4 Glock 19. With no strap added to the grip("SF" size w/o strap), I couldn't hit paper with this gun the first time I shot it. I went with the biggest strap w/beavertail this time & it was accurate as heck. I love this gun. Looking at this pic, I wonder if I'm getting overweight, or it's the four layers I was wearing under the jacket. I hope it's the layers. :sly:

gg.jpg

My coworker just bought this S&W .44 Magnum. First time I fired a .44 Mag. Really nice & accurate. Impression: Hand Cannon

Finally, my 5.11 Rush 12 backpack. I love this thing. I could have loaded all my ammo(for like 2.5 people) in here along with the Glock case & eyes/ears if I wanted to, and it's not that big of a pack. Pictures don't do it justice to how good it looks in person. :embarrassed:

ggg.jpg
gggg.jpg

I could put .308 25rd mags in those pockets in a pinch. More pics from this session if anybody wants to see.

Been a while since I posted in this thread.

Finished an AK build a few months ago. Nothing special, build kit from Palmetto and Magpul furniture. I didn't want to worry about any stupid 922r compliance problems so I went with Palmetto get get a 100% American made AK. Got a handful of Magpul magazines and just bought a Korean made drum magazine today.

Looking to get a few more guns in 2018. The wife really wants a S&W 60LS, I've been wanting a Beretta 92FS and a Mossberg Shockwave. I also wouldn't mind picking up a Ruger LCP or LCP2.

Couldn't just post the goods while it was still a work in progress. Had to wait for the tactigami to ship, and, of course, the morale patches(!!).

7011Snt.jpg

:D

MYrfg0r.jpg

As you can see above, the Transit bag would have been tiny. Like a little man-purse. This bag is much more useful. Pay attention to the little beavertail. That's what you reach back and grab when it's high noon. More on that below. The pull loop at the top of the panel where my patches are reveals an big molle loop field. There's also some straps and buckles so that flap can hang open and cradle a helmet or some other huge object. Watermelon sling?

qMWtdFD.jpg

I can fit my huge Smith shields carrier kit and my enormous impact pro ears in the main pouch. It can accordion even further if you really wanted to stuff it. I'd want to keep it light due to it only being a sling, though. You still want to be able to draw easily from it. You lose the quickdraw ability if you do this, but when I attach the support strap to the sling, it's much easier to lug. It hugs and carries around my abdomen instead of putting so much weight across the shoulder. But, I'm at the limit where I can just barely buckle it because I'm so big lol. Anyway, I could also easily fit a 15 inch laptop with all my shooting stuff if I wanted to. This will be a perfect EDC in the future, especially if I have to go back to school. Loving it so far.

kG3uytq.jpg

This is what it looks like across the chest full of all my shooting stuff. On some dudes on youtube the pack looks HUGE, but this one fits me perfectly. Above, the main pocket is open with easy access to my stuff. I believe the marketing calls this "admin" work. Ok, whatever. You can have all the pockets open (except for the danger zone where you carry) and they're nicely gusseted so nothing will fall out. Only gripe is that sometimes the gussets make opening the zippers a pain in the ass. It's probably just like that because I've got the bag completely empty and it was mushed flat from shipping.

W9nk9VO.jpg

The carry panel is unzipped here, so I could draw (kind of a high position, but whatever) and try not to die if necessary. When the bag is packed full of stuff, all you need to do is give the upper panel a nudge after you've pulled the sling across and unzipped the top. The zippers will give, dropping it down for complete protection of your abdomen and balls. Assuming you had armor plates inserted into their pockets, that is. Firm plastic panels that otherwise give the bag its structure occupy these pockets from the factory.

Pictures @Omnis !!
Finally, my 5.11 Rush 12 backpack. I love this thing. I could have loaded all my ammo(for like 2.5 people) in here along with the Glock case & eyes/ears if I wanted to, and it's not that big of a pack. Pictures don't do it justice to how good it looks in person. :embarrassed:

View attachment 700270 View attachment 700271
I could put .308 25rd mags in those pockets in a pinch. More pics from this session if anybody wants to see.

As range bag I use a ragged15$ sports bag which I got in my military basic training back when I was 18. My ''magazines'' are actually 5 round stripper clips which I have in 80 year old cloth bandoleers, my guns are mainly bolt action rifles which range from 80 to 120 years old - some have survived up to two world wars.

Upside: all of that stuff is time/war proven and virtually indestructible.
Downside: tons.

:dopey:

morale patches
Oh, man.... You got me checking these things out now. :lol:
enormous impact pro ears
Impact Pro was the second pair I went through in my pursuit of electronic hearing protection that would work on my stupid dumbo ears. My search ended with the 3M 300 I used for the first time Sunday(it's in the pics on my head). 3M set is just perfect for me. First one was Howard Leight one that everybody has, and that never sealed right(again, dumbo). Impact Pro looked like I was wearing two pairs of earmuffs on my head. :D
The zippers will give, dropping it down for complete protection of your abdomen and balls. Assuming you had armor plates inserted into their pockets, that is. Firm plastic panels that otherwise give the bag its structure occupy these pockets from the factory.
Mine had a think plastic plate inside also. I was wondering if the space was designed for armor plates. Same place I bought the pack from(Botach), they have armor plates on sale all the time. Chances of me ever needing one is less than .01%, but I'm not gonna lie, I always thought "bulletproof" anything were so cool! :embarrassed:
As range bag I use a ragged15$ sports bag which I got in my military basic training back when I was 18. My ''magazines'' are actually 5 round stripper clips which I have in 80 year old cloth bandoleers, my guns are mainly bolt action rifles which range from 80 to 120 years old - some have survived up to two world wars.

Upside: all of that stuff is time/war proven and virtually indestructible.
Downside: tons.

:dopey:
"Keep It Simple Stupid" to the max. :D:tup:

Back