Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
Most likely. The problem then becomes that it is difficult to assess without limp writing. Even if I 1 hand the gun I'm still up on the controls. It's kind of awkward.

That is why I suggest trying with an unloaded gun and an empty magazine. You can test your grip to see if that is causing the issue. I would occasionally have issues with the H&K VP9 and Ruger Mark IV not locking open because I was slightly on the slide release. I could recreate the issue with an empty magazine in both. With both, my weak hand thumb would ride along the slide release and put just enough pressure on the release to not engage the lock. The fix was to slightly adjust my weak hand thumb.

That is why I suggest trying with an unloaded gun and an empty magazine. You can test your grip to see if that is causing the issue. I would occasionally have issues with the H&K VP9 and Ruger Mark IV not locking open because I was slightly on the slide release. I could recreate the issue with an empty magazine in both. With both, my weak hand thumb would ride along the slide release and put just enough pressure on the release to not engage the lock. The fix was to slightly adjust my weak hand thumb.

Yeah but I have to rack it back each time, and each time it locks back fine. It just doesn't go far back enough. You guys think I'm kidding or something when I say the spring is stiff as ****...

Yeah but I have to rack it back each time, and each time it locks back fine. It just doesn't go far back enough. You guys think I'm kidding or something when I say the spring is stiff as ****...
Can't you get a spring that isn't as stiff or is that a lot of money?

I also had remembered reading this on a review and is why I posted the first thing about grip (and also because I have had the issue with other pistols):

FN 509 TTAG Review
Shooters with medium-sized hands who place their thumb in the 509’s indent can’t create a normal shooting grip (thumbs stacked on top of each other resting on the frame, parallel to the barrel). So they ignore the thumb indent and place their strong hand thumb on, somewhat on, or just under the slide stop. Dan, Jeremy, Jon and I never experienced a failure to lock back, through hundreds of rounds. Two experienced women shooters with medium-sized hands did. Multiple times.

Source

Have you tried other 115 grain ammunition that is not Winchester White Box?

Last edited:
I also had remembered reading this on a review and is why I posted the first thing about grip (and also because I have had the issue with other pistols):

Source

Have you tried other 115 grain ammunition that is not Winchester White Box?
Yeah, Magtech 115.

Can't you get a spring that isn't as stiff or is that a lot of money?

I would not get a new spring. This one just probably needs to be broken in properly. I'm going to get 124gr Aguila and 147gr Federal to run and see whether they help that process. If the magazines are any indication, it just needs to be completely compressed and held for a while. The magazines are pretty easy to load now but out of the box I could barely budge the follower.

Do different brands of ammo do it? Does it happen with different magazines? Try a different magazine. I'm used to troubleshooting these issues on my "old hat" technology (1911s).

I made a trip to the range yesterday.

When I did my part, I did really well with the CZ 75. Being that I have not been to the range in a while, I was definitely out of practice. I need to make a much better effort to go to the range more.

I also recently traded my Ruger Mark IV Target towards a Mark IV 22/45 Lite. The Luger style grip on the Target just did not do it for me, while the 1911 style grip on the 22/45 does. I did decently well with the 22/45, but need more time with the trigger. Towards the end of the day, I was doing better with the 22/45, but need to shoot it more.

The trigger on the 22/45 Lite is not as good as the Mark IV Target and no where near as good as the 75. I am seriously considering a Volquartsen trigger for it. I am also looking into putting a mini red dot on the pistol, just not sure which one to put on it yet.

I also shot the Ruger 10/22 yesterday. That thing is still a whole lot of fun. I had a few issues with rounds not chambering, but that problem only came from one magazine and only one of the two times I used it. Other than that, it functioned flawlessly. I need to buy a silver sharpie so I can start marking magazines when they have issues.

Lastly, I finally finished building an AR. Other than needing an optic, it should be good to go.

FCpyMU7.jpg

Last edited:
I was planning on getting my NRA credit card package thing so it would expire on 10/22. So... Yeah. Why don't angry homicidal people just kill themselves? How difficult is it going to be for me to get my Desert Tech MDR now? This is total BS.

Made ammo, 7.5x55 Swiss. I'm experimenting with shorter seating depths, meaning the bullet further out of the case and closer to the rifling. This minimizes free-flight and thus increases accuracy. It also increases pressure so this has to be considered when calculating the powder charge.
Oh, the bullet is a .308 Sierra 168 grain BTHP, with this load traveling at around 2850 fp/s.

dIpOiQ3.jpg

TPb2J6o.jpg

The awesome straight-pull bolt of the Swiss Gewehr 11. A simple cam track turns the locking lugs when pulling and pushing the bolt, exactly like an AR bolt. Its a rear locking bolt though, and its absolutely massive. I'd say it weighs more than a pound. Thats all heavy duty steel, and no lightning cuts or hollow parts. Yeah thats the late 1800's for you! :lol:

oULXYy9.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have this magazine for Glock 17. I think I took it shooting exactly one time, because it was a pain to load..... After I sold that Glock, I sold the magazine when the magazine prices skyrocketed. I bought one again, this time for my Glock 19. We'll see if I'll actually use it. :P

0000.jpg
00.jpg
ggg.jpg
0.jpg

Man I think today I dodged heavy injury, or maybe even death.

I reloaded some fairly hot ammunition for my Swiss G11, when I reloaded a couple of rounds one felt odd, just odd. I mean everything was fine, but the assembled cartridge looked somewhat off. Odd enough to disassemble the cartridge with my bullet puller.

I inspected the projectile and to my shock my micrometer showed a bullet diameter of .312, instead of .308!
It was slightly oversized, just not big enough to cause problems in the reloading process though in the world of rifles squishing a .312 bullet down a .308 tube means TONS of overpressure. Now tons of overpressure in a straight-pull action designed in 1886 means tons of injury or worse. The pressure spike would have been astronomical and the gun would have blown up quite dramatically. And this is a straight pull action, which means if the locking lugs shear off the bolt comes flying into my face at full speed.

Must have been a manufacturing error. Now I'll measure every single bullet. Time intensive but I value my face. And my life.

I'm so glad you caught it. :crazy:
Yeah if I had not I'd probably be in hospital now.

Instead, all my new experimental reloads worked so well I can't decide which one to manufacture as standard round. I also met a dude who set up a chronograph so I asked him to measure the velocity of my rounds. 2680 fps with a 168 grain SMK. Thats smoking. :D

100 meters iron sights, 6 shots, load #1:
39yDpvk.jpg

Same, 6 shots, load #2:
UHULpUG.jpg

And just for the heck of it, 5 very quick shots blasting away standing at 50 meters. :lol:
Z6LTziT.jpg

I just won a gosh dern S&W M&P 15 II for free at my local range and gun shop.

20171028_175402.jpg

They were having a 5th anniversary event and were giving away this, a 10/22, and a 1 year membership. I was the first ticket called so I got the first pick! I haven't been this excited in a long time. :D

I'm not jealous at all..... I want AR-15, and that's the kind of price point that would get me there. :(
Yeah I've always wanted this specific gun, just couldn't ever afford it! I also bought 500 rounds of 5.56 while I was there since it was on sale.

Yeah I've always wanted this specific gun, just couldn't ever afford it! I also bought 500 rounds of 5.56 while I was there since it was on sale.
It's extra frustrating for me, because they have killer price point right now of around $500 in my area. I could easily buy one, get ammo, optics & accessories, but I recently picked up a new Glock, and little worried about the rainy days ahead & want to hang onto some cash. Better safe than sorry, but man, I think it's the best time to buy AR-15's right now. :(

It's extra frustrating for me, because they have killer price point right now of around $500 in my area. I could easily buy one, get ammo, optics & accessories, but I recently picked up a new Glock, and little worried about the rainy days ahead & want to hang onto some cash. Better safe than sorry, but man, I think it's the best time to buy AR-15's right now. :(
Some places do layaway, which could be a viable option for you.

Man I think today I dodged heavy injury, or maybe even death.

I reloaded some fairly hot ammunition for my Swiss G11, when I reloaded a couple of rounds one felt odd, just odd. I mean everything was fine, but the assembled cartridge looked somewhat off. Odd enough to disassemble the cartridge with my bullet puller.

I inspected the projectile and to my shock my micrometer showed a bullet diameter of .312, instead of .308!
It was slightly oversized, just not big enough to cause problems in the reloading process though in the world of rifles squishing a .312 bullet down a .308 tube means TONS of overpressure. Now tons of overpressure in a straight-pull action designed in 1886 means tons of injury or worse. The pressure spike would have been astronomical and the gun would have blown up quite dramatically. And this is a straight pull action, which means if the locking lugs shear off the bolt comes flying into my face at full speed.

Must have been a manufacturing error. Now I'll measure every single bullet. Time intensive but I value my face. And my life.
Lucky boy.

So 3 weeks ago I fired my first real gun (as in more than just a BB gun). It was my buddy's Mosin Nagant and I became hooked. The next day, another friend gave me an old Ithaca M66 Super Single 12G for reasons I'm still unsure of. Fired it a little bit and had fun with it, but that day I decided I wanted something to practice sharp shooting with too.

Fast forward to today and I've got a little bolt action to call my own. Savage Arms Mod Mark II BGVXP 22LR with a scope... of some sort, idk it was included. Yay for having another expensive hobby now!

mybebe.jpg

but that day I decided I wanted something to practice sharp shooting with too.

Who is Sharp and why do you want to shoot him so badly?

Joke. :dopey:

Nice rifle, 22 is very affordable and teaches you how to shoot very well, you're going to have tons of fun. I regularly shoot fir cones at 100 meters with my 22, its fun to watch the bullet get there through my scope as there is zero recoil. Just one word of advice, try many different brands of ammo, .22's can be very picky, don't get discouraged immediately if you get bad accuracy (that is not caused by the shooter).

I totally want one of those full auto .22s but those are stupid for a lot of reasons. Sure would be handy to have a Trejo machine pistol.

Who is Sharp and why do you want to shoot him so badly?

Joke. :dopey:

Nice rifle, 22 is very affordable and teaches you how to shoot very well, you're going to have tons of fun. I regularly shoot fir cones at 100 meters with my 22, its fun to watch the bullet get there through my scope as there is zero recoil. Just one word of advice, try many different brands of ammo, .22's can be very picky, don't get discouraged immediately if you get bad accuracy (that is not caused by the shooter).

Thanks for the tip! I haven't even gotten any ammo yet so I can do a little research to see what other guys with this rifle recommend. But thanks for giving me an excuse for when I inevitably miss a lot :lol:

Back