Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
I'm not touching bullpups until Tavor migrates the new Tavor 7 featureset to 5.56

Do any of you guys have any experience with the Keltec RDB or RFB? I'm interested in purchasing a bullpup rifle and have been patiently waiting for the prices on the Tavor X95 to come down a little.
I do not have personal experience with the Kel-Tecs but they appear to be another 90% product of them, which means they didn't quite finish it. Youtube vids of it are all over the Internet and nearly everyone suffers from annoying frequent malfunctions.
I think its mainly caused by the rather complex forward ejection system.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Omnis I didn't know about Tavor 7, I'm going to have to look into it. Michael88, lately I've been watching a lot of reviews about the RDB. I like the concepts of the RDB and RFB but they both seem poorly executed to some extent. I hope Standard Manufacturing decides to build a bullpup rifle because I think they did a wonderful job with their DP12 Shotgun.

I'm going to go shoot my Remington 597(.22LR, my first gun) tomorrow, but it was so unreliable out of box, I only buy something really tried & true anymore. Remington 870, Glocks, USP, Bushmaster AR. Nothing flashy, even boring to some, but they work. :lol:

I'll also be experimenting something. This is how everything was setup on my rifle last time:

00000000000000.jpg

I've replaced the vertical grip with the angled. And for true, or maybe dumb experiment because I've never seen anybody do this: I've moved the rear backup/flip-up sight forward & moved the scope to the very back on the picatinny rail.

What I believe to be the long eye relief has been forcing me to peek in closer than I like to the scope, so I've decided to bring the scope closer to me, by making it trade places with the rear flip-up sight. My only concern is if the backup sight would still function reasonably right at the front edge of the receiver. Really short distance, for rifle. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow.

Today is a good day. :D

I can't believe how amazing this Renegade Plus package is. The trigger breaks like a rose petal at absolute zero. The controls are friggin awesome. I actually don't really even have to use the special ambi controls, since everything is within reach on the left side. Everything locks up super tight.

What kind of gun safes, if any, do you all use? I got some nice guns in my crosshairs that i want to start picking up when I have extra money, but I don’t want to get to nice of a collection going without a decent safe. I’ve read a ton of info on them, and it basically boils down to, most “gun safes” aren’t even really safes at all. They are just glorified metal containers really. Unless you’re going to drop $5k+on a UL TL-15 or TL-30 rated gun safe, it will be able to be broken into fairly quickly if someone wants in. Just about everything under that price point, is classified a RSC or less. It’s actually a bit depressing when you look up on how easy it is to get into most of these things.

I was just curious as to what you all are using, I’ve pretty much settled on it probably being an RSC, a heavy one (around 1000 lbs on the ones I’m lookin at). And under 10 guage steel on the thing that can be bolted down, and I’ll have the back and one side against concrete, build a wall along the other side or something. Really not worried about children, even break ins are kind of rare around here. I will have it fireproof too, but I’ve also read a lot on how a lot of these fireproof ratings, aren’t all that accurate. I just wonder if I’d be better of saving for a TL-15, because I’ve seen that Once your collection gets to a certain value, insurance requires they be kept in at least a TL-15 rated safe. I’ve looked at almost all the brands. Just want to hear opinions.

Also, has any of you used Tombstone Tactical online to order guns, and if so how was the experience?

Last edited:
I actually just bought my rifle from Tombstone. It was a breeze. I bought at 4am and it was on the plane at noon. Got to my ffl cross country in 3 days. It's amazing what 7 bucks flat shipping can do.

I actually just bought my rifle from Tombstone. It was a breeze. I bought at 4am and it was on the plane at noon. Got to my ffl cross country in 3 days. It's amazing what 7 bucks flat shipping can do.
My co-workers father, he has like 300+ guns. He buys a lot of guns from them. I’m liking the financing they have, without layaway. I think it’s 6% interest and a small fee, but that’s a sweet deal. Buy a nice gun, make $200-$300 monthly payments till it’s paid off, then get another.

They seem to come up with the lowest prices online. I don't have a gun safe, but when I have kids over, everything goes in the bedroom & it stays locked.

Today, I tested out this messed up method of moving the rear backup sight forward:

0000000000.jpg

^^^ Remington 597 with Redfield Revenge scope I used to have on the AR. Was a breeze to sight it in on a .22 rifle.

000.jpg

It looks odd, but it works, so it's staying this way. Eye relief issue is gone & flip-up sight worked reasonably well, even with the shorter distance between the front & rear sights. Tried out Magpul Angled Fore Grip too(AFG), but I'm going back to the vertical grip. It felt okay, but it wasn't a upgrade over the vertical grip for me & I prefer the way vertical grip looks on the rifle.

My co-workers father, he has like 300+ guns.
2FB0CAAF00000578-0-image-a-35_1451516956178.jpg

:lol:

My co-workers father, he has like 300+ guns. He buys a lot of guns from them. I’m liking the financing they have, without layaway. I think it’s 6% interest and a small fee, but that’s a sweet deal. Buy a nice gun, make $200-$300 monthly payments till it’s paid off, then get another.

That's totally ridiculous. There are plenty of credit products out there that offer you 6-months financing, for example, on large purchases without any such fees. If you're buying guns on borrowed money you're doing life wrong.

That's totally ridiculous. There are plenty of credit products out there that offer you 6-months financing, for example, on large purchases without any such fees. If you're buying guns on borrowed money you're doing life wrong.
Ok, I can get what your saying about financing and credit products, there’s probably better options out there.

However.... how, when and what I spend my money on, is none of your damn business, pal. I bought a nice television last year, on borrowed money, zero % financing. Is that me doing life wrong? I also bought a new truck, and am financing that as well. I make pretty good money, and I work hard and lots of hours to get it. I would tell you what I make a year, but just like how I spend my money, that’s none of your business my friend.

Last edited:
Ok, I can get what your saying about financing and credit products, there’s probably better options out there.

However.... how, when and what I spend my money on, is none of your damn business, pal. I bought a nice television last year, on borrowed money, zero % financing. Is that me doing life wrong? I also bought a new truck, and am financing that as well. I make pretty good money, and I work hard and lots of hours to get it. I would tell you what I make a year, but just like how I spend my money, that’s none of your business my friend.

i only say what I say because I know there are better options out there that don't carry the added expense. Lay off, pardner! :P

i only say what I say because I know there are better options out there that don't carry the added expense. Lay off, pardner! :P
My bad, I didn’t mean to fly off like that. Your original statement was perfectly fine, without that last sentence though lol. 👍 Just saying. No worries. :cheers:

I got another gun today! Nothing special, just an H&R 622 revolver. A friend of mine gave it to me as I've been wanting a .22 revolver recently. I think it's a 1980 model judging by the serial number. It's in pretty good shape, just a little bit of rust pitting on the barrel and cylinder.

20180311_142546.jpg

I think I've decided that I'm going to go with the Nightforce NX8 when they become a little more available. By that time I should have enough money saved up. :lol:

Look at this 1x... why use anything else? It's so lightweight too. There's just a few more Japanese- and Phillippines-made competitors that should be out soon too. Only 2 or 3 are daylight visible illumination like the nightforce though. I just can't stand the thought of blowing 500 bucks on a red dot when it's so limited.

6bMlrsy.jpg

I didn't know that he was shot with a .22. :lol:👍
Yeah if I remember correctly he was shot once and the 22 broke his rib and entered his lung causing a lot of bleeding. At first he did not even notice it but when he noticed the blood he was rushed into the hospital.

I think I've decided that I'm going to go with the Nightforce NX8 when they become a little more available. By that time I should have enough money saved up. :lol:

Look at this 1x... why use anything else? It's so lightweight too. There's just a few more Japanese- and Phillippines-made competitors that should be out soon too. Only 2 or 3 are daylight visible illumination like the nightforce though. I just can't stand the thought of blowing 500 bucks on a red dot when it's so limited.

6bMlrsy.jpg
How much?
Yeah if I remember correctly he was shot once and the 22 broke his rib and entered his lung causing a lot of bleeding. At first he did not even notice it but when he noticed the blood he was rushed into the hospital.
Wow. I just read little bit about the incident. Bizzare. :crazy:

Well, the question is how durable it is! If it starts shifting POI after 500 rounds or if it craps out after a couple hundred hours its worthless, so time will tell. I would not hesitate to blow 600 bucks on an illuminated dot optic if its time proven quality and enjoys a good reputation.
Its easy to say that optic X is cheaper than the proven optic Y, and that it can do basically the same - but you are also paying for knowing you can trust the optic, thats worth some money in itself.

Given the choice, I'd always save some more money and wait a little longer to go with a more expensive tougher optic that has a good reputation and is of high quality. I think thats money well spent, I take a lot of comfort in knowing my optic is well constructed and that it wont crap out on me eventually, especially when I really need it, thats totally worth the extra $$.

Last edited:
What kind of gun safes, if any, do you all use? I got some nice guns in my crosshairs that i want to start picking up when I have extra money, but I don’t want to get to nice of a collection going without a decent safe. I’ve read a ton of info on them, and it basically boils down to, most “gun safes” aren’t even really safes at all. They are just glorified metal containers really. Unless you’re going to drop $5k+on a UL TL-15 or TL-30 rated gun safe, it will be able to be broken into fairly quickly if someone wants in. Just about everything under that price point, is classified a RSC or less. It’s actually a bit depressing when you look up on how easy it is to get into most of these things.

I was just curious as to what you all are using, I’ve pretty much settled on it probably being an RSC, a heavy one (around 1000 lbs on the ones I’m lookin at). And under 10 guage steel on the thing that can be bolted down, and I’ll have the back and one side against concrete, build a wall along the other side or something. Really not worried about children, even break ins are kind of rare around here. I will have it fireproof too, but I’ve also read a lot on how a lot of these fireproof ratings, aren’t all that accurate. I just wonder if I’d be better of saving for a TL-15, because I’ve seen that Once your collection gets to a certain value, insurance requires they be kept in at least a TL-15 rated safe. I’ve looked at almost all the brands. Just want to hear opinions.

Also, has any of you used Tombstone Tactical online to order guns, and if so how was the experience?

Although I've never dealt with them, I have a friend who has made several purchases through them locally. So far I've heard nothing but positive things about them.

As for gun safes, get the biggest safe (that still meets your criteria) that you can possibly get within your budget. Personally I like Liberty, Cannon and American Security. All these companies offer good quality safes at different price points.

They seem to come up with the lowest prices online. I don't have a gun safe, but when I have kids over, everything goes in the bedroom & it stays locked.

Today, I tested out this messed up method of moving the rear backup sight forward:

0000000000.jpg

^^^ Remington 597 with Redfield Revenge scope I used to have on the AR. Was a breeze to sight it in on a .22 rifle.

How do you like your 597? I just got one a month ago and been having a blast with it. I haven’t had any issues with it as of now.

What I believe to be the long eye relief has been forcing me to peek in closer than I like to the scope, so I've decided to bring the scope closer to me, by making it trade places with the rear flip-up sight. My only concern is if the backup sight would still function reasonably right at the front edge of the receiver. Really short distance, for rifle. I'll take some pictures of it tomorrow.

I have seen quite a few places recommend doing what you describe with ACOGs because of the short eye relief. Back up sights are for back up purposes. The primary optic should take precedence since it should hypothetically not have issues and will be used much more often.

6bMlrsy.jpg

That looks like a nice and expensive choice. The weight is awesome though.

Last edited:
How do you like your 597? I just got one a month ago and been having a blast with it. I haven’t had any issues with it as of now.
Mine was the first firearm I've ever bought, and it had a defective magazine amongst other things that totally ruined the experience for me. This was probably like 15 years ago though.

It's been going generally good with replacement magazines since. Which brand ammo do you shoot? Any instances of failure-to-feed?
I have seen quite a few places recommend doing what you describe with ACOGs because of the short eye relief.
I don't visit gun sites that much, so I wasn't aware of this. Glad to hear I wasn't the only one experiencing it. :D
Back up sights are for back up purposes. The primary optic should take precedence since it should hypothetically not have issues and will be used much more often.
As weird as it looks to have flip up sight upfront, that's the conclusion I've come to also.

Well, the question is how durable it is! If it starts shifting POI after 500 rounds or if it craps out after a couple hundred hours its worthless, so time will tell. I would not hesitate to blow 600 bucks on an illuminated dot optic if its time proven quality and enjoys a good reputation.
Its easy to say that optic X is cheaper than the proven optic Y, and that it can do basically the same - but you are also paying for knowing you can trust the optic, thats worth some money in itself.

Given the choice, I'd always save some more money and wait a little longer to go with a more expensive tougher optic that has a good reputation and is of high quality. I think thats money well spent, I take a lot of comfort in knowing my optic is well constructed and that it wont crap out on me eventually, especially when I really need it, thats totally worth the extra $$.

Oh, no doubt. Hence why I said earlier that I subscribe the the buy once cry once mindset. I need to find cinderella over here. By "limited" I was speaking in terms of reach. I want to use my rifle for all kinds of shooting sports and activities, be it 3 gun or long range. So if I go with an optic, I want something versatile enough to cover everything within reach of 5.56 to .224 to .308. If I were building an SBR or a bullpup, I'd already have bought an Aimpoint and been done with it. :lol:

Mine was the first firearm I've ever bought, and it had a defective magazine amongst other things that totally ruined the experience for me. This was probably like 15 years ago though.

It's been going generally good with replacement magazines since. Which brand ammo do you shoot? Any instances of failure-to-feed?

I’ve been shooting Remington Thunderbolts through it, 250-300 rounds so far. The only failure to feed is when I’m using the 30rd Remington mag and it has more than 25 rounds in it.

I plan on trying some better ammo but as of right, it is a little tack driver.

Back