Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
Here is a Glenfield (Marlin built) .22lr Bolt action that I refinished the stock and mounted a Nikon 3-9x40 on. Nice plinker, going to give it to my son when he's a bit older.
Wow. Gorgeous. :drool:đź‘Ť

I forgot, but when Botach had their sale on eBay a week or so ago, I did order this to try:

s-l1600.jpg

Some say these are better than the vertical grips, so I'm going to give it a shot(Magpul - $26 & change, shipped). I also ordered a single-point sling to tryout for $8:

922205_zoom_1490220564.jpg

I'm not even sure how useful these slings are though, but for eight bucks, I wanted to try & see. It's Kley-Zion brand Botach store's always selling cheap. What I'm seriously considering as the permanent solution is the Magpul padded sling:

690416.jpg

I had a quick glance at Oregon gun laws. I don't think they will go the way of Commiefornia.
Republicans have very little to no power here, and the new Governor is definitely anti-gun rights. I think she's just getting started.
It’s not a felony or even a misdemeanor in CA to own an AR. Also while 30 rounders just became illegal it’s not a felony or a misdemeanor either rather an infraction so basically low level traffic offense territory. They scared everyone into turning in their mags. Per the law, it’s not punishable by anthing more than a citation.
IMO, once it's illegal, even if it didn't lead to confiscation or jail time, damage's been done. Once the regular magazines("extended", give me a break) become illegal, I certainly wouldn't risk getting caught with it. Remo's right on the Citizenship though, I should get on that already & spend the money. I just don't see Japan changing their Constitution on firearms anytime soon. :P

I forgot, but when Botach had their sale on eBay a week or so ago, I did order this to try:

s-l1600.jpg

Some say these are better than the vertical grips, so I'm going to give it a shot(Magpul - $26 & change, shipped). I also ordered a single-point sling to tryout for $8:

922205_zoom_1490220564.jpg

I'm not even sure how useful these slings are though, but for eight bucks, I wanted to try & see. It's Kley-Zion brand Botach store's always selling cheap. What I'm seriously considering as the permanent solution is the Magpul padded sling:

690416.jpg

Republicans have very little to no power here, and the new Governor is definitely anti-gun rights. I think she's just getting started.

IMO, once it's illegal, even if it didn't lead to confiscation or jail time, damage's been done. Once the regular magazines("extended", give me a break) become illegal, I certainly wouldn't risk getting caught with it. Remo's right on the Citizenship though, I should get on that already & spend the money. I just don't see Japan changing their Constitution on firearms anytime soon. :P

Get that citizenship. 14th Amendment.

I just don't see Japan changing their Constitution on firearms anytime soon. :P

Funny, you'd expect a country that had Godzilla and Pedobear reconsider their stance on private gun ownership. They're a stubborn bunch. :scared:

Get that citizenship. 14th Amendment.
I had to look that up. :lol:
Funny, you'd expect a country that had Godzilla and Pedobear reconsider their stance on private gun ownership. They're a stubborn bunch. :scared:
I read that in the past (musket era maybe), there were more guns in Japan than Europe combined, or something crazy like that. Japan also has many firearms enthusiasts, so it's sad how anti-gun the society over there
has become.

I had to look that up. :lol:

I read that in the past (musket era maybe), there were more guns in Japan than Europe combined, or something crazy like that. Japan also has many firearms enthusiasts, so it's sad how anti-gun the society over there has become.
Yeah, its very weird, I bet banning firearms ownership has severely dampened the criminal capabilities of the Yakuza. :lol:

Last edited:
Yeah, its very weird, I bet banning firearms ownership has severely dampened the criminal capabilities of the Yakuza. :lol:
Difference of culture is really interesting between the U.S. & Japan. Gun control does work real well in Japan, because Japanese people are team players. Government or the American occupation forces back when said no more weapons, nearly everyone turned in their guns & swords. Even without bringing in weapons into the discussion, crime just isn't as common as they are in the U.S.

In the U.S., there's more crime, plus their mindset on security relies not just on the police, but at times, just as much on themselves. I guess it's sort of frontier culture, or mentality.

I get your point about yakuza, but it too work over there, because while "if guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns" couldn't be more true in Japan with yakuza, their code generally distances themselves from involving civilians. You almost never hear about civilians getting involved in any shooting. Yakuza guns threaten only other criminals, maybe police, but not you, or your family.

Clearly, my views are in line with the Americans. If you value history lessons, it's filled with so much oppression & violence. Sometimes it's the government or regime, sometimes it's other people. It's mind blowing for me to hear people speak of how outdated the Second Amendment is. It's like they've never read one history book in their lives. :dunce: One thing you mentioned in this thread long ago stuck with me. It was something along the lines of how people used to have to defend food or themselves with sticks, and you didn't think we've evolved enough since to give up means of self-defense. I couldn't agree with you more, at least by my observation in my neck of the woods(USA lol). If you think 911 is enough in the U.S., get out more. Meet more people different than you. lol

It's kind of sidetracking from the topic, but I think it kind of is not. It's not really a post on gun control, but gun culture, or philosophy. I'm just sorry I kinda went long & all over the place. :D:tup:

No, don't be sorry. Very interesting to hear your perspective as a Japanese-nearly-American. I appreciate you sharing it.

I think we have a lot more gun violence here in America because of the evolution of the drug war. We have a whole generation of mostly poor black people that have been disproportionately affected by gun-related violence stemmed from and funded by drug-related activity which has since evolved a strong gang-related component. Let's not kid ourselves that most of the gun violence happens with people shooting rivals in the hood, probably with stolen weapons most of the time. How else are you supposed to make it when all of your opportunities are shattered by a criminal record? Growing up around drugs changed a lot of peoples futures whether they liked it or not.

Not sure how much crime is affected by the honor culture of Japan. Even Yakuza seem to be very traditional and reverent of some kind of higher code of ethics. But I wouldn't know-- that's just the feeling you get from whatever romanticized portrayal we get to see.

Americans rely on their guns a lot because most of America is super spread out. It's frontier mentality because it is the frontier. Except now we have good 4G coverage.

Went out and shot the .22lr AR15 today. Had a little trouble cycling in first 25 or so rounds. It didn't like to go all the way back into full battery , I had to assist it several times. I figured it was because everything was still new.

I was right about that, after that first mag was through it everything broke in and cycled fine.
Once it started cycling right I sighted it in at 50 yards. This gun shoots nice, off hand I was shooting 1" groups, from the bench I was shooting 1/2" groups. When it warms up more I might put a scope it and see what it can do at 100-200 yards.

This gun is going to super fun, and cheap to shoot! .22lr is only 5 cents a round!

I intend to shoot more .22, too. I'm hoping to clean & lube my rifle(Remington 597), take it out shooting next week, weather permitting. I put on the Redfield Revenge scope I had laying around on it(2~7x). It should be a lot of fun.

I'm thinking of getting this:

It's basically a DI gun from LWRC which meets all of Zenith's awesome guide's parameters. The only thing different is that the BCG's gas key is actually milled solid into the carrier. Normally, looking at that MSRP on their website would make me go wtf. But, actually, I may be able to get it for ridiculously cheap. It would be more expensive to put a rifle together from scratch. Another bonus is that the BCG and barrel are Nicorr coated instead of chromed. Not sure about the weird twisted flutes, but whatever. I just want to have an AR15 before the lunatic gun-grabbers make any inroads in Florida. I think the fact that this is has "molon labe" on the side is a good omen.

Complicating my life, Gallery of Guns also has Grand Power pistols on sale. I can basically pick up a $950 MSRP X-Calibur race gun for $650. They normally sell for like 800ish. I may just have to get these and wait for the Sig P365s to go on sale. I need to get paid more.

****! 🤬 I should have pulled the trigger. Now it's sold out. Stupid me, waiting around like an idiot.

edit: Well, there's always a silver lining. I could either drop $1300 on a LWRC or just get a Patriot Ordnance Factory gun and be happy. I think I like the latter's layout for lefty operation a bit better.

Last edited:
So, soon I'll be the owner of this bad boy:
afYrnAG.jpg

I feel like I got a screaming deal. Couldn't pass it up. I didn't even know they made this sweet colorway. This looks like a distributor exclusive that had been forgotten about. I mean, what a crazy deal. I basically found this Renegade Plus for the street price of a plain Renegade. It has a comp/brake and a competition trigger, with an awesome monolithic BCG and 9-way adjustable gas block too.

Look at how cool it looks in motion and with North Carolina accent next to it:

I got the last rifle in the country. :)

Now I just need to get some good versatile optics. I'm thinking of that nice Trijicon 1-8x28. Thing is, is it worth it to shell out for a variable zoom 1-8 vs, say, just a simple 4x? I definitely want something that I can use close up but have still have some reach for future 3-gun stuff. Anyone know a neat website with simulated reticles and fields of view and stuff?

Now I just need to get some good versatile optics. I'm thinking of that nice Trijicon 1-8x28. Thing is, is it worth it to shell out for a variable zoom 1-8 vs, say, just a simple 4x? I definitely want something that I can use close up but have still have some reach for future 3-gun stuff. Anyone know a neat website with simulated reticles and fields of view and stuff?

Go with a variable over fixed power. The only fixed I would buy is a red dot. Maybe add a magnifier behind it if magnification is absolutely necessary.

Definitely go with a 1-4 , 1-6 , or 1-8 .

I used to have a Red Dot, then went to a 3x , ended up with a 1-6 and love it!

At 1x you can shoot both eyes open like a red dot(there is a bit of parallax though unlike a RDS) , but at 6x I can see smaller targets way out where a 3x can't.

Go either with a 1-4 or 1-6. Good 1-6 and especially 1-8 are really expensive though, and some are very heavy. I actually find the 1-4 best in costs, weight and compactness and the jump from 4 power to 6 power is really only going to be a thing beyond 200 meters or when shooting very small low contrast targets. I used to shoot paper at 100 meters with a 4 power scope and I got sub 1'' groups.

Not to mention with the small lenses 6 and 8 power kind of become a little dim unless you are going with really high quality glass which means $$$. But thats of course just my personal opinion.

A lot of friends are running the Vortex Viper and they are very happy with it.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product...flescope-with-tmcq-moa-reticle-capped-turrets

I am resigned to the fact that this will be a buy-once-cry-once purchase. Frankly, I'm waiting for Bushnell's new stuff to hit shelves. I think I'm going to run either the Big D dot or Lil P prism. Kinda leaning towards the latter if it's easier to mount on a canted bracket with the scope installed and zeroed as well. That would let me consider glass that starts at maybe 3-5 with some big lens tubes for better FOV. If I can obviate the need for more equipment in a spotting role in the future, I'd be happy doing that.

Finally got my Troy PAR. The Pump-AR or as Troy calls it, the Troy sporting rifle. :D
I have to say I am really happy with it, of course semi auto would be better but due to the current political situation and the hassle of getting a semi auto this makes a lot of sense for me. And the action is so buttery smooth I can make shots as fast as I can accurately aim so its not a huge drawback for me.

BUIS from troy, Burris PEPR Mount, Redfield 2-7x33 with BDC, 14.5'' pencil barrel. I just realized the rifle is all US, so: America **** Yeah! :lol: Now I only need a couple of Magpul P-Mags

Oh and the aluminum stock is completely foldable (And adjustable in length) since it does not have a buffer tube. Folds down to a really small package that fits in a sports bag.

gYdopaV.jpg

Finally got my Troy PAR. The Pump-AR or as Troy calls it, the Troy sporting rifle. :D
I have to say I am really happy with it, of course semi auto would be better but due to the current political situation and the hassle of getting a semi auto this makes a lot of sense for me. And the action is so buttery smooth I can make shots as fast as I can accurately aim so its not a huge drawback for me.

BUIS from troy, Burris PEPR Mount, Redfield 2-7x33 with BDC, 14.5'' pencil barrel. I just realized the rifle is all US, so: America **** Yeah! :lol: Now I only need a couple of Magpul P-Mags

Oh and the aluminum stock is completely foldable (And adjustable in length) since it does not have a buffer tube. Folds down to a really small package that fits in a sports bag.

gYdopaV.jpg

I like it!

Wish I could go with a 14.5 barrel with out a SBR tax stamp and a 1 year wait. I suppose I could if I pinned or welded the muzzle break.

I like it!

Wish I could go with a 14.5 barrel with out a SBR tax stamp and a 1 year wait. I suppose I could if I pinned or welded the muzzle break.
Thanks! :dopey:

I totally forgot about your annoying SBR rule. One of the very few things that is more relaxed in our gun laws compared to yours.

BTW, cant you simply get a rifle that is classified as pistol and use the brace stock? I've heard you can now officially put it into your shoulder like a real stock without breaking laws. But I am not super knowledgeable about US gun laws so maybe I'm missing something here.

That's such a weird gun, that pump-action on an AR. Why not look at something like the straight-pull Revolt rifle from POF?

Thanks! :dopey:

I totally forgot about your annoying SBR rule. One of the very few things that is more relaxed in our gun laws compared to yours.

BTW, cant you simply get a rifle that is classified as pistol and use the brace stock? I've heard you can now officially put it into your shoulder like a real stock without breaking laws. But I am not super knowledgeable about US gun laws so maybe I'm missing something here.

Yes , you can build an AR pistol and shoulder it "sometimes" lol

Here in Michigan anything that is 26" or less in OVER ALL length in it's shortest functional configuration is a pistol and must be registered as such. This also means that with a Conceal Pistol License you get to carry one in your vehicle loaded if you want.

In Michigan you can build an AR pistol with I believe a 10.5" barrel , 11.5" I believe would put you past the 26" OAL and it would be in SBR territory.

I plan on build an AR pistol chambered in .300BO late this year or early next year.

That's such a weird gun, that pump-action on an AR. Why not look at something like the straight-pull Revolt rifle from POF?
Because pump is the fastest repeating action there is, naturally, even lever-action is slower. And you do not have to change your hand position.
With the rifle you mentioned you have to break up your position, grab a small handle, cycle it and then get into position again, with the PAR I just have to move my supporting hand back and forth for 3''.

I do have a swiss K11 which does have straight pull action with a handle on the side, its pretty much the fastest cycling non-semi military battle rifle there is even beating the Enfield, but but its approx two-three times slower than the PAR pump action.

Last edited:
Do any of you guys have any experience with the Keltec RDB or RFB? I'm interested in purchasing a bullpup rifle and have been patiently waiting for the prices on the Tavor X95 to come down a little.

Back