Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
LahggnC.jpg

Not really a fan of that Mission First Tactical grip. It doesn't abut the receiver very well on the bottom, so my knuckle kind of presses into the metal. It's hollow on the bottom too.

Sure it's the grip? Might just be the way billet receivers are, they seem to have more material near the trigger guard? I have no idea, as I don't have any billet receivers, mine are all forged.

I do like that Mission First minimalist butt stock though.

Oh, no doubt. Hence why I said earlier that I subscribe the the buy once cry once mindset. I need to find cinderella over here. By "limited" I was speaking in terms of reach. I want to use my rifle for all kinds of shooting sports and activities, be it 3 gun or long range. So if I go with an optic, I want something versatile enough to cover everything within reach of 5.56 to .224 to .308. If I were building an SBR or a bullpup, I'd already have bought an Aimpoint and been done with it. :lol:

Oh, ok. Yeah you're pretty set with a Nightforce 1-8 power scope, no doubt about that. 8x is good for 600+ meters, well, unless you are shooting at M&Ms. :D

I’ve been shooting Remington Thunderbolts through it, 250-300 rounds so far. The only failure to feed is when I’m using the 30rd Remington mag and it has more than 25 rounds in it.

I plan on trying some better ammo but as of right, it is a little tack driver.
Yeah, accuracy's good. On FTF, it was with those plastic Remington mags. Stock one did do fine. One of the plastic mags actually has tiny crack or fracture near the top? I pretty much have to force that magazine in, or yank it out. I wish I spent the money on the stock magazine instead!

Have you guys seen those Sabatti rifles? When I'm ready to go to long range toys, I'm thinking I'll pick one up in 6.5 or 308. That multi radial rifling is intriguing for sure. I like that their barrels are ridiculously thick. I guess that what you get with an Italian ahaha

Have you guys seen those Sabatti rifles? When I'm ready to go to long range toys, I'm thinking I'll pick one up in 6.5 or 308. That multi radial rifling is intriguing for sure. I like that their barrels are ridiculously thick. I guess that what you get with an Italian ahaha

So you like thick barrels eh? :P

They are hyper popular here in Austria, but not just because of the close proximity to Bella Italia but also because they are really good rifles for the money. I wanted to buy one but then the Troy Par foiled my plans in the nicest way possible.

Personally, I'd go with the .308 because 6.5 offers very little over the .308, something you'd only notice at 600 meters and beyond and has only disadvantages like ammo costs, barrel life, ammo availability. 6.5 is good, but once you run the numbers you realize it marginally outperforms 308 and that its soooooo overhyped.

Something that could potentially be a disadvantage is compatibility with aftermarket parts. Is the action compatible with any of the popular stocks etc?

So you like thick barrels eh? :P

They are hyper popular here in Austria, but not just because of the close proximity to Bella Italia but also because they are really good rifles for the money. I wanted to buy one but then the Troy Par foiled my plans in the nicest way possible.

Personally, I'd go with the .308 because 6.5 offers very little over the .308, something you'd only notice at 600 meters and beyond and has only disadvantages like ammo costs, barrel life, ammo availability. 6.5 is good, but once you run the numbers you realize it marginally outperforms 308 and that its soooooo overhyped.

Something that could potentially be a disadvantage is compatibility with aftermarket parts. Is the action compatible with any of the popular stocks etc?
Thanks. I'm so glad to have you as a source of perspective. I've also been thinking that maybe I'll look at 2FP optics, especially for only medium range stuff. I'm not going to be ranging stuff unless I'm at max zoom anyway, so what's the point then? I originally liked the nightforce FFP just because the reticle shrinks to a great T-shape while maintaining a nuclear-bright red dot. I think I just need to see stuff in person to make a decision.

If it's Federal, buy enough to get your free shirt and ammo bag on their rebate from Vista.

If it's Federal, buy enough to get your free shirt and ammo bag on their rebate from Vista.

Yeah forgot about that.

Last year I filled up on federal 9mm @15 cents a round after rebates, got a shirt also.

But I don't think this UPC qualifies.

I'm stocked up on .22LR, but since I plan on shooting those things more, I went for the ammo can package deal. Thanks for the tip on a good deal @GTP_Remo 👍

Yeah forgot about that.

Last year I filled up on federal 9mm @15 cents a round after rebates, got a shirt also.

But I don't think this UPC qualifies.

It sure does. Also, don't buy from Cabelas without buying discounted gift cards. You can get at least an extra 12.5% off by buying through Raise dotcom or any number of other exchanges. You wind up saving a whole penny per round!

It sure does. Also, don't buy from Cabelas without buying discounted gift cards. You can get at least an extra 12.5% off by buying through Raise dotcom or any number of other exchanges. You wind up saving a whole penny per round!
Good tip, I did look around for cheaper gift cards didn't find any. I did not know about raise dotcom. I will.check that out. Thank you

:(

So, here's a novice question on hand for you guys.

Co-worker has been hyping me to go shooting with him recently, which typically would result in me renting a handgun. However, I've had an itch for the past 6 months to finally purchase a rifle. On his rec. I initially looked at a M&P Sport with .22lr but he coerced me into looking at this 5.56 model instead for a couple hundred more through a local store when it comes back in stock.
https://grabagun.com/smith-and-wesson-mp15-sport-ii-or-5-56mm-16.html

I shared the info with a trusted friend for his opinion on it, who has now made me reconsider my options once again; it's a solid gun but fully believes I'm better off purchasing an AR kit and building exactly what I want, even inviting me to his place to take his apart. He's owned a healthy collection of different stuff over the years, and never considered an AR (big AK fan) until his own kit which he regrets not doing years prior, so I put a lot of stock into his opinion on the matter if he was persuaded that easily. The only thing is I'm more of a person who typically likes buy a packaged product, putting more faith in buying a solid piece from a manufacturer, over building something myself; I tend to get overwhelmed with what I should go with, & it seems ridiculously easy to do that with this hobby. But, the idea of owning something spec'd exactly to me is also hard to pass up for the money.

Basically, am I better off buying or building? I'll have his guidance to help me spec it out so I don't go overboard, but his biggest point is that I'll have a much better appreciation & understanding of assembling my own.

Here is an in depth video on assembly of an AR15 from base components. Watch it and see if this is something you want to do. After watching a couple times you'll know the answer as to whether or not you want to do it.

If building turns out to not be for you (it wasn't for me) the M&P 15 is a very solid choice. I wouldn't get the .22 AR, though. If you're looking for a .22 I'd go with a 10-22 or something similar, unless you're ok with spending the extra for an AR style .22.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, though. I've only owned guns for almost 3 years so I don't know much/any more than you.

Co-worker has been hyping me to go shooting with him recently, which typically would result in me renting a handgun. However, I've had an itch for the past 6 months to finally purchase a rifle. On his rec. I initially looked at a M&P Sport with .22lr but he coerced me into looking at this 5.56 model instead for a couple hundred more through a local store when it comes back in stock.

I shared the info with a trusted friend for his opinion on it, who has now made me reconsider my options once again; it's a solid gun but fully believes I'm better off purchasing an AR kit and building exactly what I want, even inviting me to his place to take his apart. He's owned a healthy collection of different stuff over the years, and never considered an AR (big AK fan) until his own kit which he regrets not doing years prior, so I put a lot of stock into his opinion on the matter if he was persuaded that easily. The only thing is I'm more of a person who typically likes buy a packaged product, putting more faith in buying a solid piece from a manufacturer, over building something myself; I tend to get overwhelmed with what I should go with, & it seems ridiculously easy to do that with this hobby. But, the idea of owning something spec'd exactly to me is also hard to pass up for the money.

Basically, am I better off buying or building? I'll have his guidance to help me spec it out so I don't go overboard, but his biggest point is that I'll have a much better appreciation & understanding of assembling my own.

Building is a great choice. However, starting out, buying a rifle is probably the better option for a first rifle, as it will allow you to go shoot and remove the guesswork that building entails. After shooting with it a bunch, then you can better decide on how you would want to spec out a build, if at all. A packaged rifle takes the guesswork out of the process and will give you a better idea of what you might want in building a rifle.

That particular Smith and Wesson is a great starter option. Ruger also makes a good option in their AR-556. Ruger also has the AR-556 MPR, which has some attractive upgrades over a basic M&P Sport II or AR-556. For a basic starter, the option I would recommend over both the M&P Sport II and AR-556 is the Aero Precision AC-15M; normally, it can be had for a bit more than the other two options, but apparently no one has one in stock.

Building vs buying an AR IMO comes down to if you like building things vs buying them. The price for either aren't that far off from each other in a lot of cases. You're better off with an AR platform because .223/5.56 share the same bullet diameter as a .22LR. You can buy a 5.56 AR and if you want to shoot .22LR out of it you can drop in a .22LR conversion and a .22 magazine to use for that. Not like limiting yourself to .22LR only if you did it the other way around.

Building is a great choice. However, starting out, buying a rifle is probably the better option for a first rifle, as it will allow you to go shoot and remove the guesswork that building entails. After shooting with it a bunch, then you can better decide on how you would want to spec out a build, if at all. A packaged rifle takes the guesswork out of the process and will give you a better idea of what you might want in building a rifle.

That particular Smith and Wesson is a great starter option. Ruger also makes a good option in their AR-556. Ruger also has the AR-556 MPR, which has some attractive upgrades over a basic M&P Sport II or AR-556. For a basic starter, the option I would recommend over both the M&P Sport II and AR-556 is the Aero Precision AC-15M; normally, it can be had for a bit more than the other two options, but apparently no one has one in stock.

@McLaren I would also add to this, if you do not have a Ruger 10/22, then I would definitely recommend one. Grab some BX-25 magazines, set up some steel targets/soda cans, and just blast away. The only downside to a 10/22 is the inherent crappiness of most .22 LR ammunition.

However, Ruger has done a great job with the 10/22 and it mostly does not have a problem with crappy ammo, but the BX-25 magazines can occasionally have some issues. I have one that has continued to give me issues even after thorough cleaning; I will be taking a silver Sharpie with me next range trip to mark it, so I can more easily identify which one it is. The 10 round magazines tend to work very consistently.

Looking back on the order I purchased rifles, if I had to do it over, then I would have picked up a 10/22 first. Next, and instead of concurrently building another rifle simultaneously, I would have gone with the previously mentioned Aero Precision AC-15M and shot it a bunch. Then I would have looked into building an AR if the AC-15M did not completely satisfy my AR itch. Lastly, and if my rifle shooting itch had not been completely scratched with a built AR, pick up a bullpup of some sort for the experience of the vastly different layout.

Building vs buying an AR IMO comes down to if you like building things vs buying them. The price for either aren't that far off from each other in a lot of cases. You're better off with an AR platform because .223/5.56 share the same bullet diameter as a .22LR. You can buy a 5.56 AR and if you want to shoot .22LR out of it you can drop in a .22LR conversion and a .22 magazine to use for that. Not like limiting yourself to .22LR only if you did it the other way around.

The flip side is then owning two rifles, each one with a specific purpose.

Last edited:
What a wealth of info. Thank you all, @Brett @Blood Eagle @xXKingJoshXx @GTP_Remo.

Adding on, are there any manufacturers you guys stay away from or have high praise for? My buddy has spoken highly of Spikes Tactical, but that’s it so far for a lower receiver; their complete guns are gorgeous but in a priceier range.

Mil-spec is Mil-Spec. Don't get to wrapped up in roll mark snobbery. Lol

Search this thread for Zenith's famous AR 15 posts. What's your budget? Set a budget first, and then look at guns from there. Unfortunately reddit just axed the gundeals but you can search this actual website gun.deals and input the UPC of the gun you're looking at in order to get the best price. Everything has to ship to your FFL regardless, so it doesn't matter where you buy it from really.

@McLaren Like @xXKingJoshXx I also think you should pass on the .22LR AR for now. Something like Ruger 10/22 would serve you better, and for less money.

I wouldn't know anything about building AR, so I can't comment on that, but my .308 caliber AR is Bushmaster factory stock rifle, and I'm happy with it. If I want a upgrade, I can always swap out the parts.

I think .22LR is a good starting point, but if you are going to start out with the AR, my vote is for the .223/5.56. I wouldn't be afraid of any of the major brands, but I'd recommend reading as many reviews as you can.

Good luck man! :cheers:

@a6m5, based on the advice I’ve gotten over the last 24 hours from you all and outside the forum, I’m pretty well dead set now on a 5.56. :)

Search this thread for Zenith's famous AR 15 posts. What's your budget? Set a budget first, and then look at guns from there. Unfortunately reddit just axed the gundeals but you can search this actual website gun.deals and input the UPC of the gun you're looking at in order to get the best price. Everything has to ship to your FFL regardless, so it doesn't matter where you buy it from really.
I’m comfortable right now with $12-1300. My buddy said he’s spent around $1400 on his and that’s with stuff that’s not absolutely necessary, so I may be over budgeting for a first rifle anyway.

Will search for those posts when I get home. 👍

@a6m5, based on the advice I’ve gotten over the last 24 hours from you all and outside the forum, I’m pretty well dead set now on a 5.56. :)

I’m comfortable right now with $12-1300. My buddy said he’s spent around $1400 on his and that’s with stuff that’s not absolutely necessary, so I may be over budgeting for a first rifle anyway.

Will search for those posts when I get home. 👍

Well, you can get a maybach of a rifle for that much. Look at my POF above. You can find LWRC DI guns within that budget if you try. Both of these have proprietary ambi lowers and ultra premium features that you may not need though. Easiest thing to do is to browse GearFire (your local gun shop's website probably has a gearfire webstore) or Bud's Gunshop to find what you like. Then grab the UPC from either site and plug it into the gundeals site.

If 1200 is your total budget you may want to look for a 8-900 rifle so you have money left over for a good red dot sight or other optic.

Regarding optics, if you can wait for a few months, I would. Bushnell is refreshing their product lineup and should have some amazing RDS options that won't break the bank. That should put some extra pressure on the rest of the market as well.

Price is nice & low under Republican government, so it's a buyer's market.

Back on the AR: Make sure to save funds for optics like red dot, scope, etc. Add ammo to the purchases & they add up fast!(cleaning kits, ammo can, etc., etc.)

And don't forget to buy magazines. With all the gun ban craze out there a magazine capacity ban is not completely out of question, it happened in Canada, California and in NY as well - and it looks like it will happen here in Europe too.
Banning sale of new high-capacity magazines is possible, but not banning the old stuff people already own so do yourself a favor and buy two dozen 30-rounder Magpul P-Mags - just in case.

Back