Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
I should try out the TandemKross flat faced trigger first. With a Geissele trigger in the Tavor, a LaRue trigger in one of the two AR's, and a CZ Custom warmed over CZ-75, I have ruined myself for just good triggers.

I've personally shot the custom CZ stuff, that's what my dad was using for a competition gun. Very smooth and easy to use.

I got some of that geissele go-juice thin grease. Man, that stuff is great. Lubed up my whole striker assembly and locking block. Now after having polished and greased everything, the gun cycles soooo smoothly. And it's not running out everywhere. That's my favorite part about it. It goes on like an oil but doesn't run.

geissele go-juice thin grease

geissele go-juice thin grease.JPG

Sounds too good to be true!

Have you ever had a squeeze pop? It reminds me of a grape squeeze pop. Lol.

I got all my goodies in the mail this afternoon. Changed the trigger and set all the pre-travel/over-travel set screws in only like an hour. The Mark 4 is so stupid simple to work on. Such a simple design. The tandemkross trigger is amazing. Makes it like a whole different gun. All you need to do is back out the overtravel screw until it trips the sear. After that, you cycle the action and then back out the pre-travel screw until you hear the reset click. You can make it so that the trigger is "locked" on the wall, and all you need to do is push it over the edge and break the shot. It feels awesome, and the flat face makes it all the better. Not sure how anyone shoots with a curved trigger, to be honest. Even the 509 is pretty flat once you extend the hinge safety.

pistols.jpg

The streamlight is bright AF. And it's HYOOGE.

I forgot to mention that the trigger is chrome and matches the bolt. Black n chrome stylin
Also got the large back strap for the 509. Much better feel now

Last edited:
I keep doing bad things. I felt bad about taking the brake off of my POF, and I went and got this suppressor-compatible flash hider, and I thought, why am I going to put that on a gun that I'll never suppress? So I tracked down an 11-inch PWS long-stroker upper. Great. Expensive, but great. Should be a good choice. I figured I should go ahead and buy a pistol lower for it with one of those neato braces so I can get the FFL bit out of the way. Then I saw this:
cqbbdw.jpg

That's the whole lower for just a few bucks more than the actual Maxim CQB brace alone. Wallet hate me.

Got a new 9mm Sig Sauer 16in MPX Carbine, used Ruger GP100 .357 Mag and a nice Cobratec switchblade cerakoted with the ol Texas flag.
giphy-8.gif
I snagged this thing for only $430.
giphy.gif
Have a happy 4th of July week to all my American pals and stay safe!
giphy.gif

But seriously, nice buys. GP100 was the first .357 I ever shot. Good shooter, even better price. Your new Sig looks like a MP5/AR hybrid. Sick.

I had to get rid of all the evil features on my ARs and my WASR this weekend. They look stupid and I have no desire to go use them anymore. Thanks CA :(

That MPX (and by extension the MCX) looks awesome..unfortunately that is forbidden fruit.

Civil War Era? :eek:

Approx 2 decades after the war just when the cartridge guns finally got figured out completely and replaced the muzzleloaders - but they did shoot those competitions with civil war era rifles as well and they shot 30'' groups at 1000yds with standard military issue Enfield . 577 muzzleloaders. Of course I have such rifle as well and boy it is as accurate as a 21st century cartridge rifle no kidding. :dopey:

I had to get rid of all the evil features on my ARs and my WASR this weekend. They look stupid and I have no desire to go use them anymore. Thanks CA :(

That MPX (and by extension the MCX) looks awesome..unfortunately that is forbidden fruit.
Attempted bill to ban most semi-autos & magazines fell apart in Oregon(reportedly put together by noobs), but it's only a matter of time.
Approx 2 decades after the war just when the cartridge guns finally got figured out completely and replaced the muzzleloaders - but they did shoot those competitions with civil war era rifles as well and they shot 30'' groups at 1000yds with standard military issue Enfield . 577 muzzleloaders. Of course I have such rifle as well and boy it is as accurate as a 21st century cartridge rifle no kidding. :dopey:
I can't even imagine shooting at that kind of range. Simply amazing.

Attempted bill to ban most semi-autos & magazines fell apart in Oregon(reportedly put together by noobs), but it's only a matter of time.

They tried the all semi-auto mag fed ban (not just "assault weapons") a few years ago but that didn't work as well...yet. Right now there is one going up that will make most gun parts require a background check and registration.

I hope you guys don't go our route.

I can't even imagine shooting at that kind of range. Simply amazing.

Speaking of ranges, I really wish that we (US in general) had some of the ranges they have in Switzerland and Germany (and I'm sure Austria as well). Nothing like 500 meter indoor range inside a mountain.

They tried the all semi-auto mag fed ban (not just "assault weapons") a few years ago but that didn't work as well...yet. Right now there is one going up that will make most gun parts require a background check and registration.
We are California, just decade or so behind. :(
Nothing like 500 meter indoor range inside a mountain.
It's all fun & games until @Michael88 brings one of his big rifles & collapses the tunnels.

Just to inform you guys overseas about our situation here in good 'ole Europe, here its not all fun and sunshine either, a bill has been passed that forbids sale (and probably possession) of detachable magazines holding more than 10 rounds. It goes into effect end of August this year. I think its very similar to the mag restriction in California and Canada.

People stocking up 30 rounders right now, but that might be a foolish idea since nobody really knows how legal the magazines will be. Maybe they will be legal to own and its will only be against the law to attach them to a firearm or maybe they will become illegal altogether and need to be destroyed or brought to the nearest police station. Hey its the EU, everything is possible.

I guess its time to buy 44-40 Henry Lever actions with their 16-20 shot tubular mags. 💡 With that civil-war era rifle you will then be able outgun any AR platform rifle. How weird.

Just to inform you guys overseas about our situation here in good 'ole Europe, here its not all fun and sunshine either, a bill has been passed that forbids sale (and probably possession) of detachable magazines holding more than 10 rounds. It goes into effect end of August this year. I think its very similar to the mag restriction in California and Canada.

People stocking up 30 rounders right now, but that might be a foolish idea since nobody really knows how legal the magazines will be. Maybe they will be legal to own and its will only be against the law to attach them to a firearm or maybe they will become illegal altogether and need to be destroyed or brought to the nearest police station. Hey its the EU, everything is possible.

I guess its time to buy 44-40 Henry Lever actions with their 16-20 shot tubular mags. 💡 With that civil-war era rifle you will then be able outgun any AR platform rifle. How weird.
Actually Michael, they could ban a rifle like that altogether, unless you find a way to "limit" capacity on the tubular mag.

Me personally, I'm like you. If they ban high cap magazine, I'm not gonna jeopardize the right to own firearms by breaking the law. I'd sell them if I can, or finally try to move out of New Northern California(Oregon). A state we all used to love.

I think nearly all, if not all my friends has said that if Oregon ban magazines with more than 10 round capacity, they would absolutely refuse to comply. I can't tell if they are serious, but they are pretty stupid. :lol:

I think nearly all, if not all my friends has said that if Oregon ban magazines with more than 10 round capacity, they would absolutely refuse to comply. I can't tell if they are serious, but they are pretty stupid. :lol:

Yeah I know. I am a very avid gun owner and the right to possess and bear arms with all its details is unquestionably one of the most important human rights which I will defend with all the power I have - but still, I will not unnecessarily jeopardize my life for it. Announcing to break the law and saying things like ''from my cold dead hands'' and such tough talk which we hear so often might not be the most fruitful approach to this issue.

Risking to serve many years in prison for having 20 rounds extra does not sound logical to me, I'd rather think hard to find workarounds. (I bet ''jungle'' side by side mag adapters will get really popular)

Or maybe I am simply un-american. :crazy:

We've had the mag restriction for a good while now but you were still able to posses the ones that were owned prior to 1 Jan 2000. They then passed a law a couple years ago that was supposed to go into effect this year that said possession will be illegal period and you must destroy or sell them out of state. That went to court and deemed unconstitutional as the government can't force you to destroy your legally owned property.

Either way, get ready to buy some 10/30 or 10/20 magazines so that your rifles still look cool while staying compliant.

I do however agree with your sentiment of not wanting to go to jail. I deeply value my right to own a gun and I don't want to lose it. No matter how ridiculous our laws may be it's still not worth going to jail....and the nice thing there are tons of workarounds that people come up with and I'd rather voice my frustration with a vote, no matter how useless it may be. It is extremely annoying to go to the range now that flash hiders are illegal and you need to run a muzzle break.

@Michael88, do you shoot at an indoor range? and how on earth do they allow you to shoot your artillery rounds against their backstop? At the indoor range I shoot at they don't allow anything beyond 5kJ.

I get you, for some reason we cannot have flash hiders on semi automatic rifles so people run brakes here. And boy, those short barreled .223's with brakes do blast a lot. I'm not complaining though, shooting and noise are two tightly connected things.

@Michael88, do you shoot at an indoor range? and how on earth do they allow you to shoot your artillery rounds against their backstop? At the indoor range I shoot at they don't allow anything beyond 5kJ.

Haha you plebs, I shoot at an outdoor range! :P We have people here that shoot .408 CheyTac long range rifles at the range, now thats some energy.

Only downside: closed in winter. :indiff:

I get you, for some reason we cannot have flash hiders on semi automatic rifles so people run brakes here. And boy, those short barreled .223's with brakes do blast a lot. I'm not complaining though, shooting and noise are two tightly connected things.

Haha you plebs, I shoot at an outdoor range! :P We have people here that shoot .408 CheyTac long range rifles at the range, now thats some energy.

Only downside: closed in winter. :indiff:

My rifle range is indoors and it's 25 yards (23 meters)....pathetic and not fun when the guy next to you is shooting a SCAR 17 with a brake. The only outdoor range close by (about an hours drive with no traffic) has a maximum of 100 yards and they're always packed. But at least they allow steel cased ammo so you can shoot on the cheap.

Does your range have those really cool digital target systems that show shot placement?

Also, do you have any experience with modern Mauser hunting rifles? I would like get into bolt action rifles and I think the new M18 in .308 seems like a good value to start out with. Buying an old 98k would be awesome but they're becoming very difficult (and expensive) to find here in CA and due to our new ammo laws finding a store that stocks 8mm Mauser is also tough. I would not want a .308 conversion 98.

Does your range have those really cool digital target systems that show shot placement?
Nope, they are very expensive and guest shooters tend to wreck them and then run, which we then have to pay for with our member fees.
We as a club decided to keep the old system, that is fixed targets you have to walk to to change them- because of the cost factor.
Also I actually like having to walk to the targets, its a hobby so I should not have to hurry and a small walk is a nice breather between the tense concentration when shooting for small groups.

Also, do you have any experience with modern Mauser hunting rifles? I would like get into bolt action rifles and I think the new M18 in .308 seems like a good value to start out with. Buying an old 98k would be awesome but they're becoming very difficult (and expensive) to find here in CA and due to our new ammo laws finding a store that stocks 8mm Mauser is also tough. I would not want a .308 conversion 98.

Yes I have extensive experience with most rifle platforms, especially the more traditional ones. To be honest most of the 21st century quality bolt action rifles are very alike and pretty much all of them are good to very good. You'd be hard pressed to find one that sucks.

The Mauser 98k is a very fine choice if you can find one in good condition, and I would recommend getting one in either the original 8mm or a 30-06 conversion because the .308 is actually shorter than the original chambering which leads to less reliable feeding. I once had a .308 Mauser and it was crucial to place the bullets correctly into the magazine and to cycle the action carefully. Every 50 rounds so I'd still get a minor malfunction no matter how hard I tried. With the longer 8mm and 30-06 there is no such issue, the rifle works and you cant screw up.

Just make sure the bore and the muzzle is in good condition, the stock is not cracked and the gun has not been tinkered with. Also when shooting surplus ammunition it is ABSOLUTELY crucial to thoroughly clean the bore as soon as you get home, old surplus ammunition have primers that contain salts that will absolutely eat away the bore if not removed quickly. If left dirty the bore will be ruined completely in a matter of days, guaranteed. Its a rookie mistake that happens so often and results in tons of awesome looking WWI & WWII rifles on the market that sadly have completely trashed worthless bores that resemble old sewer pipes.

If money allows it don't shoot surplus at all and use modern ammunition, its not corrosive.
Personally, I make all the ammunition for all of my rifles myself so I do not have to rely on ammo from the 50's. Heck, I have some rifles that are so old I have to make the ammo because commercial sources dried up a 100 years ago. :lol:

Not to mention reloading ammo results in vastly improved accuracy, an experienced reloader will churn out ammo that is twice as consistent as the best run of the mill bullets.

Last edited:
Nope, they are very expensive and guest shooters tend to wreck them and then run, which we then have to pay for with our member fees.
We as a club decided to keep the old system, that is fixed targets you have to walk to to change them- because of the cost factor.
Also I actually like having to walk to the targets, its a hobby so I should not have to hurry and a small walk is a nice breather between the tense concentration when shooting for small groups.

That sucks that people would do that. I love the technologically modern touch that I see out of the ranges in Germany, Switzerland, and (I imagine) Austria. Very large contrast to ours.

Yes I have extensive experience with most rifle platforms, especially the more traditional ones. To be honest most of the 21st century quality bolt action rifles are very alike and pretty much all of them are good to very good. You'd be hard pressed to find one that sucks.

Most of the "entry level" bolt actions I've shot from friends actually felt pretty entry level (the cheap Savage comes to mind) and having a new Mauser here is something that is very rare plus the price of 600-650 seems like a great deal. I've just never seen one let alone fired one. Pretty sure that will be my next purchase.

The Mauser 98k is a very fine choice if you can find one in good condition, and I would recommend getting one in either the original 8mm or a 30-06 conversion because the .308 is actually shorter than the original chambering which leads to less reliable feeding. I once had a .308 Mauser and it was crucial to place the bullets correctly into the magazine and to cycle the action carefully. Every 50 rounds so I'd still get a minor malfunction no matter how hard I tried. With the longer 8mm and 30-06 there is no such issue, the rifle works and you cant screw up.

20 years ago or so you could find old Russian capture of 98k for around 200-300 bucks. They weren't in the best shape but were decent shooters and I loved the historical aspect. Many people would buy old Mosins for 50-100 bucks which IMO is a waste of money considering how terrible of a rifle it is. But yeah these days you're looking at 700 on the low end for a Russian capture and upwards of 2500 for a GI bring back (depending on the factory and date of manufacture). It's also tough to know if a reputable gunsmith did the conversion, but when I am in the market I'll make sure to skip the .308. The shorter case length makes sense.

Just make sure the bore and the muzzle is in good condition, the stock is not cracked and the gun has not been tinkered with. Also when shooting surplus ammunition it is ABSOLUTELY crucial to thoroughly clean the bore as soon as you get home, old surplus ammunition have primers that contain salts that will absolutely eat away the bore if not removed quickly. If left dirty the bore will be ruined completely in a matter of days, guaranteed. Its a rookie mistake that happens so often and results in tons of awesome looking WWI & WWII rifles on the market that sadly have completely trashed worthless bores that resemble old sewer pipes .

As someone that has put thousands of rounds of Eastern Bloc corrosive surplus ammo through my AK, I can 10000000% agree with you.

..Oh, I can't recommend a Henry lever action enough. I've got the Big Boy in .357/.38spcl and it is a ton of fun to shoot on the cheap. The Marlins have a lot of quality issues from what I've read and Winchester 1892s or 86 are rarely in stock at least out here.

Actually, I would not describe Savage as an entry rifle, it rather is an surprisingly inexpensive intermediate match rifle. Every Savage I ever shot and owned was absolutely excellent and shot groups of 0.5 MOA , accuracy which can compete with 3000+ $ rifles. The finish might not knock you off your feet and they are a little bare bones, their basic plastic stocks suck but the accuracy is definitely there, the bolt is very smooth and the trigger excellent and thats already nearly all you need from a rifle. Plus there is tons of aftermarket stuff to turn them into really great match rifles.

Also don't badmouth the Mosin, I am one of those people who love it for its rugged beauty. :D A proper Mosin with a good bore, with good ammunition, not that surplus garbage that has been dug up at some Russian farm, will shoot surprisingly well. Despite its terrible trigger, its mushy bolt and its rimmed cartridge. The fun however ends when those things get expensive, they are not nearly as good as Mauser or Enfields and that should reflect in their price. A properly priced Mosin in good condition and some quality ammo and fun is guaranteed though.

Heck, many moons ago I owned a 50's scoped Romanian Mosin (Aftermarket scope, not the PU sniper version) and -considering what it is- it shot absolutely acceptable groups with my handloads. I still have a picture of one of those groups, at 100 meters:

sSrhwvL.jpg

Last edited:
I was talking about the Savage Axis which are under $300. Not a bad value, but I would gladly spend twice that to get a nicer rifle that I enjoy shooting more. Just wasn't really a fan.

When I say terrible, you should have seen the condition of these $50 rifles. But yeah, they could definitely be a fun gun to shoot on the cheap and certainly not a bad group you got..but Romanian, I wonder if that was made at a "bicycle" factory. Lol. (*I'm Romanian and there was a joke about the fake factories back in the day.)

BTW, if any of you guys are looking for a good compact light for a pistol, I just picked up the new TLR-7. Not a bad little light for 115 bucks and it fits perfectly on the SP2022.

Oh, these are a few examples of the really cool Swiss gun ranges I was talking about.

And this one

I was talking about the Savage Axis which are under $300. Not a bad value, but I would gladly spend twice that to get a nicer rifle that I enjoy shooting more. Just wasn't really a fan.
]

Oh ok, now that is indeed a budget rifle, I thought you were talking about the Savage 10 /110 series. Surely not bad for the money but those super budget rifles are very ''bare bones''. They are the equivalent of modern compact cars without any extras. They drive, and they do it well enough, but thats all you can expect from them.

Back