Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
20180707_191847.jpg

:dopey:

First impressions:
1. Wow, that brace doesn't extend quite so far after all...
2. Wow, that magpul grip feels good.
3. Wow, that EPT trigger is really good.

Wondering if I made the right choice on this. With no buffer tube it's hard to get a good cheekweld. I'm really hunched over the gun with this thing fully extended. That said, I'm sure that if I ever sold the maxim brace I could probably get what the whole lower cost just for the brace.

Last edited:
But it's a pistol so you don't need a cheek weld! :lol:

I've stayed away from pistol braces myself. Using them as designed has always seemed gimmicky/awkward, and as you've found they don't make for good stocks to shoulder (by design). On top of that I'd prefer to stay away from things that the ATF could change their minds on at any moment. Shame we're stuck with the goofy SBR and silencer laws we have but it is what it is.

View attachment 749871

Got out to my favorite range yesterday and had probably the most fun I've ever had blasting steel with this thing.

I really need to get a pistol caliber carbine.

Since I am slowly recovering from a terrible illness that has befallen me for over three months now, I thought I'd speed up the process (and to suppress my illness induced PTSD, I was close to death in the hospital) by starting a new rifle project. Also to combat deadly boredom as I cannot go to work and cannot leave my home for longer than few hours.

I just bought me a slightly used Savage Hog Hunter in .308. Its, as the name suggests, actually a rifle designed for hunting pigs at long-ish ranges, but it really is a great base for building a compact precision rifle. It has an absolutely wonderful 20'' medium-contour barrel, it has a threaded muzzle for brakes and it even comes with backup iron sights. The action is the standard Savage action, which is good. The only bad thing is the stock but I'd swap it out anyway, Savage stocks are widely known to be nothing more than placeholders. :lol:

So this is the basic rifle, already good in itself:

myUwWmV.jpg

And this is basically what I want to turn it into, give it a good stock, a 4.5-14x44 Minox scope and a brake - which the rifle in the pic does not have, just the thread protector nut.

tY2KteH.jpg

That is a good looking rifle. Looks stout with that barrel on it, and I am big on backup sights. 👍👍

I'm glad you are alive Michael! Feel better soon dude!! :)👍

Edit: Saw this yesterday. I am in love, but it needs detachable magazine.

Remington-TAC-14-81240-047700812403.jpg.jpg

Saw it here.

Edit2: Just realized that it lacks rail for the red dot. WTF is wrong with Remington!(everything).

Last edited:
Honestly, I thought you were talking about Deutsche Mark. lol Mossberg I think is getting into detachable magazines now, too. I prefer Mossberg pump to be honest. In fact, semi-auto would be even better..... never mind. I think I just priced myself out.

Edit:

I had never seen or heard of Minishells before. That thing is a accident waiting to happen. :crazy:

Last edited:
I'm glad you are alive Michael! Feel better soon dude!! :)👍

Edit: Saw this yesterday. I am in love, but it needs detachable magazine.

Saw it here.

Thanks man! 👍

Oh man I like the shorty shotgun, but this was actually my idea! They stole it! :P A few years ago when Mossberg and Remington released those super short shotguns without stock that were technically pistols I fantasied about having a slightly longer version that holds 3 or 4 +1 with a folding stock, thinking that this would be the ideal shotgun. Minishells suck though.

And about my Savage build, holy crap there is no aftermarket stock available here in Europe despite Savage being a very common rifle around here. Remington, Tikka, Howa no problem, but nothing for Savage.
I found a pretty good stock from Choate, its relatively inexpensive and has a good aluminum bedding block, but its not available here in Europe.
I'd love to order it directly from the US but the sucky export laws foil my plans. Guess I'll have to stick with the original stock. :indiff:

Choate stock: https://www.riflestock.com/store/product/varmint-stock-for-savage-short-action-centerfeed-rifles/

Alternatively I could order a McMillan blank and have my rifle inletted into the stock but this would cost me only 800 bucks or so. :eek: :lol:

Oh and I ordered a muzzle brake because less recoil always leads to more accuracy.

EDgeR4q.jpg

Last edited:
@Michael88 Not that I'm familiar with it, but I actually like the look of the original stock.

P.S. Never thought of folding stocks for shotguns. It does sound interesting. :D

@Michael88 Not that I'm familiar with it, but I actually like the look of the original stock.

Yeah I know it looks kinda nice, but for serious precision shooting you need, for the lack of a better term, something heftier, something ''to hold onto'', something beefier and heavier. The original stock is very delicate and slim, very round and very lightweight. That sounds actually good, but when shooting for precision such stock feels ''nervous'', its not easy to hold a rifle with such stock on target, it moves very easily and the light stock makes every heartbeat move the rifle a bit. Its hard to shoot a slim lightweight rifle accurately, both off-hand and and prone.

The stock would be good for hunting applications because of its weight and low profile (thick brush) at short to medium ranges, but it is not ideal for long range shooting.

Many years ago I had a Savage with the fancy named Ultimate Sniper stock. It looks kind of funny but I remember ergonomically it was really great. Maybe I'll get one for this rifle, its one of the few stocks available here in Europe. And its basically indestructible which cannot be said about the fancy new aluminum chassis systems that flood the market nowadays.

The stock:

gK9dj6n.jpg

Last edited:
Just came back from the range. The Tandemkross trigger is amazing. Only problem is that I think the trigger reset screw keeps backing out. I had it set so close that it wouldn't reset my trigger. I'm going to back it way out now. Need to find something that will hold it firm but not set up and cure it stuck.

I think all triggers should be flat faced. I was shooting groups at 15 yards that looked better than my last outing with shots at 7.

Just came back from the range. The Tandemkross trigger is amazing. Only problem is that I think the trigger reset screw keeps backing out. I had it set so close that it wouldn't reset my trigger. I'm going to back it way out now. Need to find something that will hold it firm but not set up and cure it stuck.

I think all triggers should be flat faced. I was shooting groups at 15 yards that looked better than my last outing with shots at 7.
Try using blue loctite.

For small parts you can also use nail polish!

Never actually thought of that, but I love it. I'm sure the misses would love to take part in it. "Honey, which shade of red do you think goes with FDE?" Or "Does this come in a more tactical shade?"

Never actually thought of that, but I love it. I'm sure the misses would love to take part in it. "Honey, which shade of red do you think goes with FDE?" Or "Does this come in a more tactical shade?"

I use bright red nail polish to paint some front sights of my rifles to get better contrast when shooting at black targets. :dopey:

Last edited:
I think I painted front sight of my Kimber with plastic model paint. So lame. :lol:

One of my coworkers ordered the .50 cal Desert Eagle in stainless. He's gonna have to let me shoot it when he gets it. I wonder how much of a recoil it'll have!

I think I painted front sight of my Kimber with plastic model paint. So lame. :lol:

One of my coworkers ordered the .50 cal Desert Eagle in stainless. He's gonna have to let me shoot it when he gets it. I wonder how much of a recoil it'll have!
When I shot a desert eagle in 50AE, it was surprisingly not as bad as I thought thanks to the 2 ton slide absorbing a lot of the recoil.

I

.50 AE isn't that bad. .50 BMG would be a different story.

I

.50 AE isn't that bad. .50 BMG would be a different story.

The penetration you get with 50 BMG is pretty damn impressive though.

I mean the penetration of the 50 BMG pistol recoiling through your hand and your chest cavity.

You can be fabulous without sacrificing accuracy.

Bling increases you accuracy by up to 10%. True story!

Today I assembled some big boomers. Those rounds are like fat people that can run really damn fast - scary. :D

45-70 405 grainers at 1750 fps, 12 gauge 525 hardened roundballs at 1600 fps, 12 gauge full bore slugs 650 grains at 1450 fps and buck & ball loads 525 grain round balls with buckshot on top.

Man I love reloading, as an experienced reloader you can go totally nuts with the big calibers and make weird stuff nobody dares to produce commercially. Especially the super hot loaded roundball load is the most demonic cartridge I know.
Unbearable recoil, crazy muzzle flash, unholy amount of power for a normal sized hand-held weapon.

OqHPUQl.jpg

Last edited:
Got my rifle, my scope and muzzle brake so I threw it all together. I actually had to spend 2 hours with a hand file to get the muzzle brake to stop where it needs to be, clocked correctly. I already ordered a replacement stock but its another 4 weeks till it arrives since it has to travel across the big pond, and I still need to get me a bipod. The scope is a 4-14x44 Minox btw.

Barrel looks really long due to the angles, its actually a handy 20'' compared to the usual 24-26''.

FRQs1zS.jpg

img]

Last edited:
Went to the range with my Savage, BOY does she shoot, I shot groups the size of my thumbnail at 100 meters and she likes all of my hand loads. Sadly I blew it, later my groups started to open up, suddenly I got crazy vertical stringing, and then I was barely at the paper. Could not identify the problem, wasted 40 shots and went home from the range really depressed. :indiff:
At home I realized the mounting rail had come loose, it moved every so slightly left and right and slid back and forth. DUH. Guess I'm human after all. :dunce: Now I will use blue Loctite to stop it from moving.

Oh ah I cannot write Loctite, without posting my favorite Japanese racing car.... :dopey:

FGK0jTg.jpg

Aaaaanyway, what impressed me the most was the muzzle brake, it made the .308 feel like .223, the recoil reduction was nothing short of magical and it definitely did not reduce accuracy. And as a nice bonus it blew away cases, dirt and other stuff from the table and threw tasty clouds of powder residue into my face, ah, and the noise annoyed the heck out of bystanders. Now I call the brake the ''crowd disperser device'', mwahahah! Eat my noise! :sly:

Oh, and I FINALLY found an in-stock PWS upper. Hopefully it's Mlok instead of KeyMod, but at the price I got it for I won't complain either way. Looking forward to shooting a longstroker without soiling my hands on a dirty commie gun.

p_100025960_3.jpg

PA1-6X24FFP-ACSS-RAPTOR-5.56_02.jpg
30084777_1986836031567194_4205435021927907328_n.jpg

Decided to just get the new PA glass. Great reviews on it. No need to blow 4 figures for my needs.

You made up some of the price with that Kinetic mount though. The Raptor is interesting. I really need to pick up some kind of magnified optic.

Can you say Remington?

Anyway, they were talking about how Youtube cut them off financially. They asked to support them in other ways, so I'm still trying to pick out a t-shirt from them. 90% of them are too in-your-face politically, so I'm thinking about maybe this, or this.

Now that video got me paranoid, I see NSX by @Michael88 in this gun thread, I thought we were getting censored in here maybe. I blame lack of sleep. :lol:

You made up some of the price with that Kinetic mount though. The Raptor is interesting. I really need to pick up some kind of magnified optic.

I got it for a good deal though. I am the most frugal bastard ever. It needed to be kinetic or adm because I'm only going to use one scope system for multiple rifles. The adms are bundled at a discount with PA scopes. I upgraded to the kdg after finding it on the lowlow

Modern glues are pretty intense. I just bought the new Loctite super glue and put it on the degreased surfaces of the mounting rail and the receiver of my Savage. The few seconds between putting the glued rail onto the receiver and me getting the mounting screws was enough time to have me wrestle the mount into place to align it with the receiver screw holes. And I am pretty strong, it felt like rowing and pushing a 400lbs barbell. I nearly screwed that one up. :scared:

Now I bet I could remove those screws and hang onto the mount with my 110kg body and it would not loosen up a bit. That thing is like welded on. Freaking witchcraft I tell you.

Heck, that stuff is probably strong enough to stabilize and fix my life! :lol:

I see NSX by @Michael88 in this gun thread, I thought we were getting censored in here maybe. I blame lack of sleep. :lol:
Censorship I could almost live with. :sly:

Last edited:
Back