Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
Made some 300 grain hollowpoint loads @ 2150 fp/s. Those who think 45-70 is an outdated slow lumbering cartridge are mistaken, could push the 300 grain to 2400 fp/s if I wanted, thats 7.62x39 AK round velocity but with a 2.5 times heavier, fat .458 bullet. Thats some serious midrange firepower.

BRFU5m4.jpg

Tried out my 300 grain homebrewed 45-70 loads, boy they kicked hard but seem to shoot well. This is 50 meters / 55yds standing offhand without pause/resting the rifle. Its a little to the right but I did not bother to adjust the sights because I'll install a proper Williams ghost-ring sight next week anyway, which is going to be TONS better than the current super fine hard to see buckhorn sights. Boy I hate buckhorn sights, they give me eye cancer. :crazy:

1mqO72h.jpg

Interesting sights. Never seen or heard of that one before: Google Images

Buckhorn sights were a thing on long guns in the wild west era into the early 1900's, but in the US alone.

Also whats less evident about buckhorn sights is that they are suuuuuper fine, like far worse than anything you'd ever see on a Mauser 98. Lining up the tiny notch with the super thin front sight takes a long time, and then the front sigh has a tendency to blur out. I'm actually impressed I could hit that well with that sight. Then I switched to a rifle with a ghost ring sight and oh boy, that was so easy. Can#t wait to upgrade the rifle with a ghost ring sight.

(Not my pic) Here is what it looks like to look down buckhorn sights. :crazy:

Nydspkc.jpg

Last edited:
uh huh.... guess that's why I always suck when we shoot our 30-30....

You own a K98, right? Have you ever shot it with iron sights? People say it has terrible sights, but compared to buckhorn sights its an amazing sighting system. :lol: I can only shoot buckhorn sights well if concentrate like crazy, if I grab a rifle with a peep sight I can shoot it more accurately with like 1/3 of that concentration. Don't underestimate sights, sights on rifles are like tires on race cars. Often overlooked and seemingly a small component of the entire package, but absolutely crucial.

You own a K98, right? Have you ever shot it with iron sights? People say it has terrible sights, but compared to buckhorn sights its an amazing sighting system. :lol: I can only shoot buckhorn sights well if concentrate like crazy, if I grab a rifle with a peep sight I can shoot it more accurately with like 1/3 of that concentration. Don't underestimate sights, sights on rifles are like tires on race cars. Often overlooked and seemingly a small component of the entire package, but absolutely crucial.
I own both K98 and G98 (G98 has the "upgraded" sights though) and find them to be quite easy. K98 shot high and right by about 8 inches when I got it and started putting loads through it, and I couldn't make the front post adjust so that's when I went to put a scope on it. The G98 though shoots excellent though. It's one of the few guns that I've been able to make a good grouping on a paper at 200 yards, out of all the guns I've shot with iron before.

I really wish the G98 though was an earlier model however, so it would have the much more appealing rear sight. It's kinda interesting to think though that it officially turned 100 today, being a 1918 model, and that it never saw any actual conflict (from what I remember, Germany was making rifles for Turkey, and all of the Turkish rifles were stamped. Mine however, was never stamped, and misses out on a lot of other markings leading me and others to have believed it was one of the few that stayed in Germany somewhere until it left the country and came to the US.).

Interesting sights. Never seen or heard of that one before: Google Images

Buckhorn sights were a thing on long guns in the wild west era into the early 1900's, but in the US alone.

Also whats less evident about buckhorn sights is that they are suuuuuper fine, like far worse than anything you'd ever see on a Mauser 98. Lining up the tiny notch with the super thin front sight takes a long time, and then the front sigh has a tendency to blur out. I'm actually impressed I could hit that well with that sight. Then I switched to a rifle with a ghost ring sight and oh boy, that was so easy. Can#t wait to upgrade the rifle with a ghost ring sight.

(Not my pic) Here is what it looks like to look down buckhorn sights. :crazy:

Nydspkc.jpg

I had no idea what Buckhorn sights were either. They are not good and are much more difficult to use than they need to be. Also, the reason my 10/22 has a red dot on it.

I've been looking for subsonic .22LR rounds. Finally showed up at Walmart today, so I picked up three boxes(100rds, ea.). Also bought one of those 9mm shot shells. I don't know what I'd do with it, but why not. :lol:

I'm interested in getting steel AR-15 magazines. Are they all similar in quality, or are some better than others? I don't know if any of you guys know, since not many of you in here shoot ARs. Maybe @Omnis , @Xavier2342 , @GTP_Remo or if he's still alive, @Zenith ?

I'm not looking for any special quality. Just something cheap & reliable. Thank you in advance!

I've been looking for subsonic .22LR rounds. Finally showed up at Walmart today, so I picked up three boxes(100rds, ea.). Also bought one of those 9mm shot shells. I don't know what I'd do with it, but why not. :lol:

I'm interested in getting steel AR-15 magazines. Are they all similar in quality, or are some better than others? I don't know if any of you guys know, since not many of you in here shoot ARs. Maybe @Omnis , @Xavier2342 , @GTP_Remo or if he's still alive, @Zenith ?

I'm not looking for any special quality. Just something cheap & reliable. Thank you in advance!
Subsonic .22's are the best. We've got a Savage Model 24 in .22/.410 and it's a beast for just going out and squirrel plinking. It's funny that the subsonic round is actually more quiet than our Stoeger ATAC .177 pellet gun, which supposedly at the time of sale was to be the quietest pellet rifle made.

It's funny that the subsonic round is actually more quiet than our Stoeger ATAC .177 pellet gun, which supposedly at the time of sale was to be the quietest pellet rifle made.
:eek:

I've been wanting to try these out. I really can't wait to try it out now. 👍

Not sure about steel, as the only ones I can think of offhand are H&K (very pricey), but PSA has aluminum on sale all the time, along with Magpul ones. If I did not already have a bunch of PSA aluminum and Lancers, then I would probably order some more from them. I really need to pick up some Magpuls.

Last edited:
Not sure about steel, as the only ones I can think of offhand are H&K (very pricey), but PSA has aluminum on sale all the time, along with Magpul ones. If I did not already have a bunch of PSA aluminum and Lancers, then I would probably order some more from them. I really need to pick up some Magpuls.
I assumed they were all steel. Do you know if standard military issues are aluminum by any chance?

Yeah, it looks like it:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/pro...ne-556-nato-223-remington-30-rounds?a=1317453

The US Gi mags are aluminum and very flimsy, they were meant to be used and then discarded. They are very thin and made of aluminum, drop them and they will malfunction. If you are really careful you can use them for years on the range but if you want mags you can trust on and take a bit of a beating get magpuls.

I like USGI mags. I have a bunch of them and was issued them when I served in the military because my command would not authorize p-mags. They are aluminum so unless you plan on dropping it on concrete or running them over with a car, they are fine. They are cheap. You can also replace the followers with magpul anti tilt followers. I think most USGI mags already have them installed if the follower is green. I also have a lot of p-mags. I like the USGI mags because I'm old school lol

@a6m5 I'm still here brother, I lurk and only post when I can contribute to the conversation...lol...

As far as AR15 magazines go, considering how cheap Magpul magazines are I really don't see a need to get anything else. A while back I purchased a few Blackhawk magazines and C-Products Defense GI style AR15 magazines because they were dirt cheap ($9/magazine I believe). Both mags worked just fine, I've used them both in several guns and they work just as intended. However, for some reason these two brands will not hold the bolt open on my AK pistol once the last round has been fired. This could potentially be due to the recoil buffer I currently have installed but all the Magpul mags I have tried with this gun keep the bolt open after the last round. On mine and a buddy of mine's AR, we do not have this issue with any of these magazines. A side from that I have no other concerns about these magazines, I usually brung one of each to the range with me to avoid any confusion with the mags of others.

With Black Friday and Cyber Monday only a few days away, I'd keep an eye out for any sales on magazines. Cheaperthandirt currently has the largest selection of AR15 magazines that I've seen so far but I haven't checked Brownells yet.

Edit: I just found out that the Blackhawk mags I have may be re-branded ASC magazines. Either way, they work just fine.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. 👍 I am a Magpul guy. All parts I've added to my AR's been Magpul, same on the Bushmaster AR10. In fact, I was just installing another picatinny rail on the AR15 tonight.

This metal magazine idea came from some rumor back when about how Pmags may encounter issues with long term storage, while loaded? I just googled it & it's getting mixed reviews. I've done zero research, so I know almost nothing about this. I also just wanted to try out metal magazines too, because I have just four Pmags right now. Black Friday recommendation is a good idea @Xavier2342 Thanks. 👍

P.S. I have one loaded standby mag for my AR10, and that one is a high-cap Pmag(25rds). I hope it doesn't break on me. :lol:

Somebody from that linked forum linked this on the PMags:

Last edited:
Haven't posted on these forums in years, just found them again for a bit of nostalgia. Haven't played any GT games since back then either, but at least I can contribute to this thread.

My daily concealed carry is a S&W M&P Shield 9. I have a few holsters for it but lately I've been carrying it in my Desantis OWB leather holster that I bought for my Glock 19. I know the two guns aren't very similar in size but it has good retention around the Shield's trigger guard and it doesnt flop around. Way more comfortable than IWB.

My G19 is a Gen 2, and it's older than me by almost a year (May 1991 mfg I believe), but it's a Glock so it'll probably outlast me.

I also have a S&W M&P 15-22 which I love, and a Mossberg Maverick 88 18.5" that I love until I've fired a few slugs and need to give my shoulder a break.

I just recently sold my Sig P220, it was a great gun but I just couldn't justify spending the extra $ on .45 when I have two other pistols in 9mm. Before he passed away, my grandfather reloaded .45 so I never had to worry about it.

With his passing, he also left two safes full of firearms that we need to go through. I know he has a nice older model Ruger Mini-14, and a Springfield P9C which I've read is one of the beat CZ clones ever produced. I'm looking forward to getting that cleaned up.

Thanks guys. 👍 I am a Magpul guy. All parts I've added to my AR's been Magpul, same on the Bushmaster AR10. In fact, I was just installing another picatinny rail on the AR15 tonight.

This metal magazine idea came from some rumor back when about how Pmags may encounter issues with long term storage, while loaded? I just googled it & it's getting mixed reviews. I've done zero research, so I know almost nothing about this. I also just wanted to try out metal magazines too, because I have just four Pmags right now. Black Friday recommendation is a good idea @Xavier2342 Thanks. 👍

P.S. I have one loaded standby mag for my AR10, and that one is a high-cap Pmag(25rds). I hope it doesn't break on me. :lol:

Somebody from that linked forum linked this on the PMags:

My answer should really just have been, get a bunch of aluminum mags and a bunch of PMags. You can never have too many. I would lean towards more PMags, but no real reason not to get some aluminum ones too.

Mossberg Maverick 88 18.5" that I love until I've fired a few slugs and need to give my shoulder a break.

Nice I bought a Mav 88 the day I turned 18. Question, did it come with the 18.5" or did it come with a 26" and you put an 18.5" on it like I did? I also replaced the slide tube with an old style Mossberg 500 unit so I can change the furniture.

96347_zpsxhu61kmk.png

FullSizeRender_zpszylvhfho.jpg

Nice I bought a Mav 88 the day I turned 18. Question, did it come with the 18.5" or did it come with a 26" and you put an 18.5" on it like I did? I also replaced the slide tube with an old style Mossberg 500 unit so I can change the furniture.

View attachment 780364

View attachment 780365
I just bought the 18.5" security model straight up because I don't intend on using it for anything other than home defense and the occasional range day.

On the topic of shotguns, my grandfather also had a bunch of old over-unders and side by sides in .410, 20ga, 12ga, etc. There's also a beautiful HK-stamped Benelli M1 Super 90. I'll get some pictures once we get everything sorted.

I haven't ordered any AR15 mags, but I wanted to share what I just ordered on eBay. :lol:

s-l1600.jpg

I gifted couple of .50 Cal bottle opener few Christmases ago, it was a big hit & I've been wanting one since. This lot is $30(shipped) for .50 Cal + 20mm Vulcan Cannon bottle opener, and while I failed to pickup a .50 Cal opener all this time, I couldn't say no to a Vulcan Cannon momento. I've liked jet fighters almost as long as I've liked guns, and I have a soft spot for 20mm Vulcans. :embarrassed::lol:

A gunsmith I am not. I'm sorry, but I think whether or not you can do this trigger job on the FN509 is entirely up to how the gun came out of the factory. The pin either is going to come out or it isn't.

WCW0Bhtl.jpg

What's ironic is that my gun is toast on the same day I finally received my CCW in the mail.

Depending on how this service goes, I probably won't ever buy a FN product again. Too many things were annoying. Gotta find another gun with Sig #8 sights to move the XSes.

A gunsmith I am not. I'm sorry, but I think whether or not you can do this trigger job on the FN509 is entirely up to how the gun came out of the factory. The pin either is going to come out or it isn't.
Uh-oh....

Bummer man, I'm sorry to hear it. :crazy:

Yeah, I followed their instructions to a tee. The locking block will always break through the polymer because the pin won't come back out.

My next gun is going to be metal. Thinking of RAMI or Sphinx, something like that. Gonna pick up an Archon if I can find one.

I was going to a Korean grocery store near me today. In the same strip mall is a small department store & the same gun store I bought my last two rifles from. Along with the Korean food I was after, I came home with 4 pmags & Black Friday sale ammo(300rds for $84.66). :lol:

At the gun store, a gentleman randomly handed me a gift card with $5 remaining on it, so it took $1.25 off per magazine for me. At the department store, I wasn't even planning on buying more ammo, but it was the best price I've seen for brass .223, so I picked just one up? Only after PMing another GTP member on here I remembered seeing rebates associated with these ammo(Black Pack by Federal). Sure enough, it's another $20 back on mail-in rebate. :embarrassed:

I was thinking about going back, but I'm not even sure if they'll accept multiple receipts on something like that, so I think I'm going to have to pass. :(

P.S. From 5.11 Black Friday Sale, I picked up a nice IWB holster for Glock 19, also couple of nice pants(LOVE their new Defender jeans).
Yeah, I followed their instructions to a tee. The locking block will always break through the polymer because the pin won't come back out.

My next gun is going to be metal. Thinking of RAMI or Sphinx, something like that. Gonna pick up an Archon if I can find one.
Well, apparently not always, but I get where you are coming from. Pretty frustrating.

Back