Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
Whoa what the hell? I don't even understand why it would ever be that hard to punch a pin out. That really sucks man. What did FN have to say about that?
It seems to be by design. In that youtube video, I think the shop suggested that it was a factory service item + the pin had to be punched out just the right way, sometimes from right/left depending on the specific model. Huge bummer. :crazy:

Hey not just fighter jets, there is also 20mm rifles! (Even bigger one, 20x110mm) :dopey:

cycMQgJ.jpg

And its smaller cousin, the Denel NTW:

Always loved those anti-material rifles wouldn't mind owning one myself if I had the correct paper work and money.

I will say, I'm personally not a fan of making modifications to a gun that will be carried (especially when it comes to trigger/firing mechanisms) but that is still ridiculous that the pin did that.
Tend to agree on both points. I've been paranoid since that USP incident though. :P

I have been out of the hobby for a while but I'm kinda back. I went trap shooting for the first time with a buddy last weekend and had a ton of fun. My buddy has a Remington 870 Express and we shared the shotgun on the range, and man, is that action slick. It was brand new so the action did get hung up a couple of times, but otherwise, it just slid open and close with such a deliciously solid feel.

We shot 3 rounds of 25 each, and it was pretty hard. First clay came out, I aimed the shotgun towards it, and just pulled the trigger placing faith that it was close enough. Surprisingly, I did hit it with my beginner's luck, my first ever clay. It just went downhill from there though, I ended up only hitting about 1/3 of the clays that day. Still, it was great fun, and I definitely want to go again.

Sooooo, I've been wanting a shotgun for a while, but haven't really had the need to buy one. Now I'm definitely in the market for one.

--

As well, I'm looking for another pistol as well. I haven't paid much attention to all the new stuff that's come out in the past few years, so GTP, tell me about the new stuff. Seems like people are excited about the new Sigs and also the HK VP9? Looking for a solid, reliable pistol chambered in 9mm. I already have a subcompact (M&P Shield) and so looking for something that's more between the compact to full size range. Seems like most new pistols are striker fire now? Oh, and no Glock.

Sooooo, I've been wanting a shotgun for a while, but haven't really had the need to buy one. Now I'm definitely in the market for one.
I have the 870 Express Tactical, but with Blackhawk recoil stock. Your comments about the pump action was interesting to me, because I didn't really think any thing of it with my own shotgun. Only other shotgun I shot before that was the Benelli SuperNova or something like that, and I thought that action was so super slick? In comparison, I thought 870 was good, but not anything special.

I still like my 870, but I also wished I had looked at the Mossberg more, because its action feels similar to 870 to me, and I much prefer Mossberg safety versus 870. Also, Mossberg 590(maybe also 500) can go 8 + 1, where my 870's relatively low 7+1(w/extended tube on Tacticals).

They are definitely fun to shoot & I hope you find the perfect one for you. Me, I may shop for rifle style stock, or buy a whole new shotgun someday. I've been interested in semiautomatic, also. If Saiga sold for $400, $500 like back in the day, I can see myself owning one of those within a year. :P
Oh, and no Glock.
For me, that handgun is a Glock 19. :P @Brett has the VP9.

@Omnis I'm late to the party but what did FN say about your 509?

@a6m5 I picked up a Black Pack of 9mm ammo as well and I'm tempted to pickup another box before the purchase deadline to take advantage of the rebate. Did you catch any deals on magazines?

@Crash have you considered the Mossberg 930 (link below)? I've shot the 930 JM Pro and loved it. The Mossberg 500 and 590 would also be great Shotgun options but I'm basing this off of the reviews I've watched and read about them. I don't have any experience with the Remington 870 so rusting of the receiver is all new to me. Also, handgun wise I don't know what your budget is but have you looked into the CZ P09 or the CZ P10? I don't have any personal experience with either handgun but I like the fact that there are CZ P09's that come from the factory with 19+1 magazine capacity, threaded barrel and raised sights.

https://www.gunbuyer.com/catalog/pr...ga-semi-auto-18-5-barrel-8-1-3-chamber-85322/

Shotguns are like any other guns, how much ya wanna spend and what is your main purpose for said gun? HD, trap/clays, bird hunting, or big game hunting? Lots of good shotguns being made.

I have the 870 Express Tactical, but with Blackhawk recoil stock. Your comments about the pump action was interesting to me, because I didn't really think any thing of it with my own shotgun. Only other shotgun I shot before that was the Benelli SuperNova or something like that, and I thought that action was so super slick? In comparison, I thought 870 was good, but not anything special.

I still like my 870, but I also wished I had looked at the Mossberg more, because its action feels similar to 870 to me, and I much prefer Mossberg safety versus 870. Also, Mossberg 590(maybe also 500) can go 8 + 1, where my 870's relatively low 7+1(w/extended tube on Tacticals).

They are definitely fun to shoot & I hope you find the perfect one for you. Me, I may shop for rifle style stock, or buy a whole new shotgun someday. I've been interested in semiautomatic, also. If Saiga sold for $400, $500 like back in the day, I can see myself owning one of those within a year. :P

I went with a 590A1 because it was on sale for a really good price. However, I would have gone with a Mossberg anyways.

For me, that handgun is a Glock 19. :P @Brett has the VP9.

I had a VP9. I traded it towards the CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target II. I still like the VP9, but the price is steep on a CZ Custom CZ 75. If I had to do it over, then I would just go with a Glock 19, especially now with the Gen 5 MOS version.

There's a couple other reasons to pick up a Mossberg over an 870 like dual extractors and aluminum receiver won't rust over an 870's steel receiver.

Those are a couple of the reasons I went with a Mossberg.

@a6m5 I picked up a Black Pack of 9mm ammo as well and I'm tempted to pickup another box before the purchase deadline to take advantage of the rebate. Did you catch any deals on magazines?
Black Pack deals are incredible. Had I not stocked up on ammo already, also not dumping cash on 5.11 gear, or electronics, I would've been really motivated right about now. :P I'm just glad I at least connected on one box of 300rds 223.

Unfortunately, no deal on Pmags. They were $10 each. I have the ones with windows for the Bushmaster 308? I think I'd like to get those for the AR15, too. Also couple of the metal ones.
mos85322_1_3.jpg

Dude. Release this shotgun with rear sight/picatinny & I am there. 8+1. :drool:
There's a couple other reasons to pick up a Mossberg over an 870 like dual extractors and aluminum receiver won't rust over an 870's steel receiver.
Those are a couple of the reasons I went with a Mossberg.
While I'm not a fan of Remington, I think they did good on the 870. Having said that, after learning this, if I was buying pump shotgun today, I'd most likely go Mossberg. Possibly Benelli, but I kinda doubt it.
I had a VP9. I traded it towards the CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow Target II. I still like the VP9, but the price is steep on a CZ Custom CZ 75. If I had to do it over, then I would just go with a Glock 19, especially now with the Gen 5 MOS version.
I was thinking about a high end handgun in 2019, but I'm not sure. I still like .45ACP, but I currently don't have any crushes in that caliber. I was interested in FN Five seveN for little bit, but after learning that they aren't that high penetration with standard rounds, I cooled on that gun.

I might look at a nicer AR, or semi automatic shotgun instead. Again, really liking the Mossberg semi above. That one with red dot would be a very cool toy. :drool:

Edit for angel chorus:

mo.jpg

Front runner for my 2019.

Last edited:
@Brett and @Blood Eagle is the rust on the 870 receivers just part of normal wear and tear?

@a6m5 I completely forgot about the Mossberg 930 SPX. Also, I know this may sound fanboy-ish but have you taken a look at the CZ 805 Bren S1 Carbine? There is talk about the Bren S2 coming to the US market but I have not seen a release date yet.

411558037_2.jpg

@a6m5 I completely forgot about the Mossberg 930 SPX. Also, I know this may sound fanboy-ish but have you taken a look at the CZ 805 Bren S1 Carbine? There is talk about the Bren S2 coming to the US market but I have not seen a release date yet.
I'm not familiar with this one at all. :crazy: Good looking rifle, but I think I'm too on-budget & practical for guns like this one. :P

If I had money, I'd love to own nicer rifles like that, or ACR, SCAR. For me, nicer rifle is $1,000 ~ $1,500 range, and unfortunately for me, if I was spending that much, I'd lean towards tried & true systems like AR probably. :( <<< Not actually all that sad, because I've been in love with AR rifles since I was in grade school.

The 805 is a pretty cool rifle, not gonna lie.

I believe I owe you guys a video or two from my last two Sunset Hills visits!

2018:

2017 (I am not sure if i've posted this one already):

Obelisk nice videos, that's awesome that you got a chance to shoot such a huge variety of firearms. What is your opinion on the Beretta ARX160? In your videos you experienced one of the complaints (being burnt by ejected brass) people have about the Keltec KSG versus the DP12 Shotgun. a6m5 I think you might be interested in a Beretta ARX100 because I've watched their prices hover around $1,200 or less over the pass few months.

Last edited:
Obelisk nice videos, that's awesome that you got a chance to shoot such a huge variety of firearms. What is your opinion on the Beretta ARX160? In your videos you experienced one of the complaints (being burnt by ejected brass) people have about the Keltec KSG versus the DP12 Shotgun.
Yeah, that burn stayed with me for a few days. Didn't really hurt after the initial damage was done, so not too bothered by it.

As for the ARX160, I was expecting a lot more recoil, and you can see it in how I tense up before the first shot. I felt that it was fairly balanced and it was pretty pleasant to shoot regardless of my initial impression.

Incidentally, @terrordog1490 was there at the 2018 visit. Long story short, it was first time I've seen anyone bump fire an M1 Garand by accident while shooting from a supported position...

Last edited:

I came across this video and thought I'd share it with you guys.

I didn’t mean to imply that they will rust but steel will rust if you don’t take care of it and wear through the coating. Rather than aluminum which won’t. More or less an opinion and a reason I chose a Mossberg type over an 870.

No worries, I just wanted to get a little more information about this. One thing I will say though is that it is kind of nice seeing more people recommend Mossberg over Remington. By no means do I have anything against Remington shotguns but from my experience, I've seen more people (in person and online) recommend Remington over Mossberg. It is nice to see different recommendations.

It's probably due to my inexperience with shotguns, so it seemed nice to me. :lol:

@Crash have you considered the Mossberg 930 (link below)? I've shot the 930 JM Pro and loved it. The Mossberg 500 and 590 would also be great Shotgun options but I'm basing this off of the reviews I've watched and read about them. I don't have any experience with the Remington 870 so rusting of the receiver is all new to me.
Shotguns are like any other guns, how much ya wanna spend and what is your main purpose for said gun? HD, trap/clays, bird hunting, or big game hunting? Lots of good shotguns being made.

Sorry, I should have been clearer in my earlier post. I've settled on a Mossberg 590 for a shotgun. I much prefer the controls/ergonomics of the 590 over the 870, and a pump action to start is fine. I'm specifically looking for handgun thoughts from y'all.

Also, handgun wise I don't know what your budget is but have you looked into the CZ P09 or the CZ P10? I don't have any personal experience with either handgun but I like the fact that there are CZ P09's that come from the factory with 19+1 magazine capacity, threaded barrel and raised sights.

Thanks for the suggestion on the CZs; they look really interesting, especially with the hammer action compact CZ P07.

Any more thoughts on the VP9? After watching a bunch of different reviews, I think that has a place on the shortlist.

For the price you can't beat the Glock MOS lineup when you compare it to other optics ready handguns.

Yeah, objectively, Glock is probably the best handgun for the price, but... I just don't want a Glock. I've shot the older ones and have never liked shooting them, and I've never liked the Glock grip (I know they've updated them continually...).

I've never liked the Glock grip (I know they've updated them continually...).
I never used to, still not my favorite. On my Gen 4 however, with the larger strap with beaver tails, I don’t mind it anymore. Check it out sometime if you get the chance.

I'm angry because .22 magnum / .22WMR is so expensive. Its one of my all time favorite cartridges, my first proper rifle was a 22mag. That round is basically a miniaturized 45-70, but I simply cannot justify getting a rifle in that caliber if the ammo is expensive as freaking medium-grade .357 or 9mm or cheapest .223. I just can't. I thought about getting a lever action rifle in .22mag but a 357 lever would cost the same to feed. Crazy.

I wish a super cheap .22 magnum rifle I like would simply pop up so I could have an excuse to get one in that relatively expensive caliber, but thats not happening. :grumpy:

I'm angry because .22 magnum / .22WMR is so expensive. Its one of my all time favorite cartridges, my first proper rifle was a 22mag. That round is basically a miniaturized 45-70, but I simply cannot justify getting a rifle in that caliber if the ammo is expensive as freaking medium-grade .357 or 9mm or cheapest .223. I just can't. I thought about getting a lever action rifle in .22mag but a 357 lever would cost the same to feed. Crazy.

I wish a super cheap .22 magnum rifle I like would simply pop up so I could have an excuse to get one in that relatively expensive caliber, but thats not happening. :grumpy:
I've never shopped .22 Magnum, so I'm not familiar with pricing. I don't think 9mm & .357 Magnum are comparable in pricing at all around here though. I wonder if .22 Magnum is overpriced in your neck of the woods, too. :crazy:

I've never shopped .22 Magnum, so I'm not familiar with pricing. I don't think 9mm & .357 Magnum are comparable in pricing at all around here though. I wonder if .22 Magnum is overpriced in your neck of the woods, too. :crazy:
I actually researched US prices and they are a little cheaper for the 22mag but not much. According to my research 22mag in the US costs around 10-15 bucks, .357 mag around 12-20.

Around here 22mag costs € 16-20, 357mag averages € 17-22 and el cheapo .223 is like 18-25. (EURO and USD is basically the same now,)

So thats quite unfair, but I guess demand for the .22mag is smaller. Makes me sad though, its such an awesome little cartridge, ballistically, out of a rifle, its basically the same as the Fn 5.7 pistol round, but its much quieter.

I actually researched US prices and they are a little cheaper for the 22mag but not much. According to my research 22mag in the US costs around 10-15 bucks, .357 mag around 12-20.

Around here 22mag costs € 16-20, 357mag averages € 17-22 and el cheapo .223 is like 18-25. (EURO and USD is basically the same now,)

So thats quite unfair, but I guess demand for the .22mag is smaller. Makes me sad though, its such an awesome little cartridge, ballistically, out of a rifle, its basically the same as the Fn 5.7 pistol round, but its much quieter.
After reading about 5.7, I actually got more interested in .17 & .22 magnum. They really are cool little rounds.

Next time I’m in Walmart I’ll check the “street prices” of the .22 mag + .357 mag. 9mm’s been really low this year, they can be as low as $9 a box(50rds), cheaper if you buy bulk.

After reading about 5.7, I actually got more interested in .17 & .22 magnum. They really are cool little rounds.

Next time I’m in Walmart I’ll check the “street prices” of the .22 mag + .357 mag. 9mm’s been really low this year, they can be as low as $9 a box(50rds), cheaper if you buy bulk.

The 22 mag out of a rifle is like the FN 5.7, the 17HMR out of a rifle is like the weird 4.6x30 millimeter the MP7 PDW shoots. :D

Crash have you considered any of these as your next purchase? :)

51815.jpg

Chiappa Rhino 60DS

74321.jpg

Sig Sauer 1911 Tactical Operations

15071_2.jpg

Smith & Wesson Model S&W 500

Hey Michael, do you reload .357 mag? It is unfortunate that .22 mag is just as expensive as .357 mag but maybe you could consider getting a Henry repeating rifle.

Back