Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
@Brett and @Blood Eagle is the rust on the 870 receivers just part of normal wear and tear?

I would not consider it normal wear and tear, at least not after years and years of neglectful lack of cleaning. I have read anecdotal stories about brand new 870s arriving with rust from the factory. Those stories were another reason I went with a Mossberg.

Any more thoughts on the VP9? After watching a bunch of different reviews, I think that has a place on the shortlist.

I liked the VP9, but decided to sacrifice it towards a high end CZ 75. Had the CZ 75 that I bought not been available, then I would likely still have the VP9. It was a nice pistol.

I would not consider it normal wear and tear, at least not after years and years of neglectful lack of cleaning. I have read anecdotal stories about brand new 870s arriving with rust from the factory. Those stories were another reason I went with a Mossberg.
Remington continues to disappoint us. It's like they don't care, they are incompetent, or both. :crazy:
a6m5 here's a video for you
Good stuff. Thanks man. 👍

Remington continues to disappoint us. It's like they don't care, they are incompetent, or both. :crazy:

Maybe they don't care that they're incompetent? :P

I wanted to buy primers from Remington when I was shopping reloading component, turns out Remington discontinued most reloading supplies due to financial problems. Its kinda ironic that they quit making the only good stuff they produced, that is brass and primers. They're incredibly incompetent if you ask me, and have absolutely zero clue about the market and what people want.

Guess they're run by a bunch of greedy clueless businessmen which are only concerned about making as much profit as possible with the least amount of capital and effort. Remington totally is the Electronic Arts of the firearms industry. :lol:

Yeah, there is no reason to buy a modern Remington anything, but certainly not a shotgun when there are similarly priced Mossbergs available with much better quality control. It's a shame because the 870 and 1100 are good designs and we know they can work very well but all of the ones I've seen/held/fired that were made in the past decade or so have felt like absolute junk.
Well, to be fair, my 870 does everything well. IMO, it falls short when compared to Mossberg in similar price range, but it's never malfunctioned, and nothing's falling off of it like with some of their models out there now.

Guy I shoot with has one of the Mossberg tactical models, but they perform similarly to me? Still, Mossberg is better IMO, with its location of the safety, also higher capacity. Resistance to rust, too. That's nice.
Just made a quick trip to a nearby indoor range because my buddy just picked up a Glock 23 and wanted to try it out. I put 200 rounds through my Sig 1911 and a box through my 320 x-five. Really would have preferred to go to the outdoor range across town this morning but it rained all night and was pretty cool out this morning. Hopefully be getting out to the friend's farm for some shooting with my dad in a few weeks when I'm home for Christmas.
I've yet to shoot a .40. :dopey: Same guy with the Mossberg, he bought a S&W .44 Magnum & .50 Cal Desert Eagle? Last week, he picked up FN Five-seveN. He doesn't own a rifle(used to have SKS, but sold it).

I have two buddies with this FN now. It's a good shooter, but considering the price of the gun, I don't get it. At least one of them owns bunch & bunch of rifles already, I've been telling the other one HE NEEDS A RIFLE. :lol:
Maybe they don't care that they're incompetent? :P

I wanted to buy primers from Remington when I was shopping reloading component, turns out Remington discontinued most reloading supplies due to financial problems. Its kinda ironic that they quit making the only good stuff they produced, that is brass and primers. They're incredibly incompetent if you ask me, and have absolutely zero clue about the market and what people want.

Guess they're run by a bunch of greedy clueless businessmen which are only concerned about making as much profit as possible with the least amount of capital and effort. Remington totally is the Electronic Arts of the firearms industry. :lol:
When you put it like that, it does sound like bankers are running that company, they are just looking for quick returns & they probably aren't hearing input from the actual gun people. :crazy:

I've owned this pistol a few months now and as of Thanksgiving weekend I have a total round count of 1,025. I usually clean all my newly acquired firearms prior to shooting them. But for some odd reason I decided not to clean this particular firearm and went straight to the gun range after changing a few items. As mentioned in my initial post I installed a SB Tactical SBTEVO brace, 3 MOA Vortex Venom red dot sight and APEX ambidextrous safety levers.

I enjoy shooting cheap ammo so fed my Scorpion nothing but the finest (sarcasim) FMJ ammo you can find at your local retailers. Herter's, Remington, Silverbear, Federal (even the aluminum cased ammo), PRVI Partizan and a few other brands I can't remember. The Scorpion functioned flawlessly with every single brand of ammo I put through it. I have not tried Tula steel cased ammo yet and most likely won't, unless someone gives a box to try.

The only issue I had with my Scorpion was the allen screw backing out of the right-side safety lever. When this occures it just prevents the firearm from being switched to Safe. I'll take the blame for this one because I did not use a threadlocker to secure the screw. I'm still on the fence about installing a lighter trigger spring. I'm able to make accurate shots at 25 yards and if there weren't any aftermarket options available I would be fine. However, for $9 I can have a reduced trigger spring kit from HB Industries.

Overall I am very happy with my Scorpion and have absolutely no regrets about making this purchase. I was fortunate enough to shoot a Sig Sauer MPX prior to purchasing my CZ Scorpion. Even if the price of the MPX was reduced to match the Scorpion, I would still choose the Scorpion. I know that my 1,025 rounds doesn't compare to the thousands of rounds CZ put through their guns for testing purposes. But it is just nice to know that I don't have a dud.

20181207_223111.jpg
20181207_222953.jpg
20181207_222852.jpg
20181207_222815.jpg

When you put it like that, it does sound like bankers are running that company, they are just looking for quick returns & they probably aren't hearing input from the actual gun people. :crazy:
Yeah thats definitely the case, the times enthusiasts ran the companies are gone, last one was Bill Ruger, but he is dead now.

Also don't forget Remington buys up great smaller naive gun manufacturers which they then gut and run down till the business is dead. Happened with Marlin, that company produced the best lever action rifles on the market, then Remington bought them, they cut corners on quality like madmen, and then the business was ruined. Happened to a few other manufacturers, but I don't remember their names right now.

As far as I know thats a business strategy and it even has a name, but I don't remember the exact term. Electronic Arts does that too, they buy smaller promising game developers, squeeze them dry, when the business is finally ruined and they can no longer come up with stuff that sells and there is nothing to be gained from them anymore they sell their assets/studio and then buy the next game developer. Its a cancerous strategy but it seems to pay off in some way.

I've owned this pistol a few months now and as of Thanksgiving weekend I have a total round count of 1,025. I usually clean all my newly acquired firearms prior to shooting them. But for some odd reason I decided not to clean this particular firearm and went straight to the gun range after changing a few items. As mentioned in my initial post I installed a SB Tactical SBTEVO brace, 3 MOA Vortex Venom red dot sight and APEX ambidextrous safety levers.

I enjoy shooting cheap ammo so fed my Scorpion nothing but the finest (sarcasim) FMJ ammo you can find at your local retailers. Herter's, Remington, Silverbear, Federal (even the aluminum cased ammo), PRVI Partizan and a few other brands I can't remember. The Scorpion functioned flawlessly with every single brand of ammo I put through it. I have not tried Tula steel cased ammo yet and most likely won't, unless someone gives a box to try.

The only issue I had with my Scorpion was the allen screw backing out of the right-side safety lever. When this occures it just prevents the firearm from being switched to Safe. I'll take the blame for this one because I did not use a threadlocker to secure the screw. I'm still on the fence about installing a lighter trigger spring. I'm able to make accurate shots at 25 yards and if there weren't any aftermarket options available I would be fine. However, for $9 I can have a reduced trigger spring kit from HB Industries.

Overall I am very happy with my Scorpion and have absolutely no regrets about making this purchase. I was fortunate enough to shoot a Sig Sauer MPX prior to purchasing my CZ Scorpion. Even if the price of the MPX was reduced to match the Scorpion, I would still choose the Scorpion. I know that my 1,025 rounds doesn't compare to the thousands of rounds CZ put through their guns for testing purposes. But it is just nice to know that I don't have a dud.

View attachment 785467 View attachment 785468 View attachment 785469 View attachment 785470
This reminds me. I meant to ask if anybody knew anything about what I saw while cleaning Bushmaster 308. This bolt from AR system looks burned up on one side? I hadn't cleaned this gun in like a year, so I wasn't sure if it came from neglect, or if it was natural wear.

gtp.jpg

gtpp.JPG

You can see on the left side in the pic(top), it's still smooth as they used to be. At first, I thought it was a buildup, so I tried soaking it in Break Free cleaner, then brush it off. Didn't work.

Gun was so dirty, it took like 2 hours to clean. Dirty or clean, it's been 100% reliable though(except when I tried shooting it the first time w/o lubing). I hope my new M&P's as reliable!
Yeah thats definitely the case, the times enthusiasts ran the companies are gone, last one was Bill Ruger, but he is dead now.

Also don't forget Remington buys up great smaller naive gun manufacturers which they then gut and run down till the business is dead. Happened with Marlin, that company produced the best lever action rifles on the market, then Remington bought them, they cut corners on quality like madmen, and then the business was ruined. Happened to a few other manufacturers, but I don't remember their names right now.

As far as I know thats a business strategy and it even has a name, but I don't remember the exact term. Electronic Arts does that too, they buy smaller promising game developers, squeeze them dry, when the business is finally ruined and they can no longer come up with stuff that sells and there is nothing to be gained from them anymore they sell their assets/studio and then buy the next game developer. Its a cancerous strategy but it seems to pay off in some way.
Just when you think you couldn't dislike Remington more. :crazy: They couldn't go away fast enough.

a6m5 to me it looks like carbon build-up that just needs to be scraped off your bolt. Try soaking the bolt again then scraping it off with a brass or stainless steel cleaning brush. I've read about people using the tip of a dull knife or flat head screw driver but you have to be careful.

This reminds me. I meant to ask if anybody knew anything about what I saw while cleaning Bushmaster 308. This bolt from AR system looks burned up on one side? I hadn't cleaned this gun in like a year, so I wasn't sure if it came from neglect, or if it was natural wear.

1 year no cleaning is neglect. :P I clean my guns after every session.

Thats definitely a serious case of carbon build up, nothing a bronze brush and some solvent can't fix. This is a lot though, eventually it will lead to malfunctions, I suggest cleaning the gun a little more often. If its your go-to defense gun I recommend cleaning it after every session because your life depends on the gun, such gun needs to be tops all the time.

a6m5 I've gotta give you credit where it is due. You're the only person I've ever seen remove the extractor from their bolt while cleaning an AR10/AR15. I've only removed my extractor once and that was to install a stronger spring.

Michael88 your comment about Remington being the Electronic Arts of the gun business was hilarious. I didn't realize that they were so bad. Maybe this means I'll find some good deals on their more expensive 1911s.

You know what I just realized? I don’t remember lubing the bolt. I remember lubricating everything else. Weird. :dopey:
a6m5 to me it looks like carbon build-up that just needs to be scraped off your bolt. Try soaking the bolt again then scraping it off with a brass or stainless steel cleaning brush. I've read about people using the tip of a dull knife or flat head screw driver but you have to be careful.
Thats definitely a serious case of carbon build up, nothing a bronze brush and some solvent can't fix. This is a lot though, eventually it will lead to malfunctions, I suggest cleaning the gun a little more often. If its your go-to defense gun I recommend cleaning it after every session because your life depends on the gun, such gun needs to be tops all the time.
As the others mentioned that is a common spot for carbon build-up on AR pattern bolts. You can soak it and give it a scrub.
That pic was actually after long soak + good scrubbing with metal brush. I’ll take a look at it again. Thank you guys. 👍
1 year no cleaning is neglect. :P
I said I didn’t know if it came from neglect, I tend to agree with you! :lol:
a6m5 I've gotta give you credit where it is due. You're the only person I've ever seen remove the extractor from their bolt while cleaning an AR10/AR15. I've only removed my extractor once and that was to install a stronger spring
I usually don’t either. Second, or third time I ever had it off in years I’ve owned it.
I don’t even know what that is, but I’ll take a look it. Interesting looking tool. Thanks for the recommendation!

That pic was actually after long soak + good scrubbing with metal brush. I’ll take a look at it again. Thank you guys. 👍

Just a word of advice, be careful with metal. Never clean any steel or aluminum parts with a steel brush, it will damage and wear down the part, always use the softest material that still works to remove the dirt - like bronze or copper brushes. If you shoot just a couple dozen rounds you can even use a sturdy synthetic brush and good solvent to get the fouling out of the barrel, use the harder stuff only when you need it - and never steel anything!

Just a word of advice, be careful with metal. Never clean any steel or aluminum parts with a steel brush, it will damage and wear down the part, always use the softest material that still works to remove the dirt - like bronze or copper brushes. If you shoot just a couple dozen rounds you can even use a sturdy synthetic brush and good solvent to get the fouling out of the barrel, use the harder stuff only when you need it - and never steel anything!
I figured as much. I usually use toothbrush, and I’m careful using anything harder. 👍

I don’t even know what that is, but I’ll take a look it. Interesting looking tool. Thanks for the recommendation!
Wow.

I like this one. What do you guys think?

He also does excellent job of explaining how to put the bolt carrier back in. Had I seen this video before I started playing with these things, I also would've been able to put them back in without cussing, just like that guy in the video.

This would be a good alternative to the Saiga and Vepr semi-auto shotguns. I love how slim this shotgun is and I'd really like to know more about its gas system. I also wonder if this shotgun in its oem configuration is in compliance with gun laws in states such as California, New York, New Jersey, etc.

This pistol grip and buttstock can be replaced with AR accessories :D

So I got to hold an Archon Type B today and I think it is the most comfortable gun in the hand that I've ever picked up. It's like a glove. Really amazing.

I also got to mess with the Bersa Thunder 9 and the trigger is amazing. Also finally got to handle a Grand Power P11 and X-calibur in person and they are also insane. I couldn't test their triggers though because they were zip-tied closed. The slides felt amazing though and the slides are so light and butter smooth thanks to the rotating action vs a "ca-chunk" of a locking block. I've always overlooked Bersas because they look like goofy BHPs, but as an ambidextrous shooter the Bersa controls feel amazing. New Gen 5 glock also feels nice BUT the trigger guard is still the same crappy experience without an undercut.

edit: Welp, I went and bought the Type B. Hopefully I can still get my 509 fixed so I can sell it lol.

Last edited:
Omnis congrats on your purchase, looking forward to hearing about your experience with this gun. Prior to reading your post I knew nothing about the Archon Type B. I watched a few videos about that gun and one thing I will say about that gun is that I really like the grip texture. I'm going to have to keep an eye out for it at the next gun show. As far as Bersa goes were you able to get your hands on a BP9? I think the M&P Shield may have stolen some styling cues from the BP9.

Earlier today I got a chance to hold the new Beretta M9A3. I love the way it looks and feels, but I felt like the pistol grip was a little too short. I'm going to try to rent one the next time I'm at the range. Even with the short grip I still think it is a pretty cool gun.

Hope you all get something cool for Christmas. Looking forward to seeing everyone's post over the next few days.

Merry Christmas :gtplanet:

I have not shot a Beretta, but I want one.

This is disappointing, but other than buying some PMags, I did not add anything to the collection this Christmas season.

M9A3 looks like million bucks, but I did not like my buddy's 92FS trigger I shot years ago. Trigger pull felt long & spongy to me.

Bought couple of AR rifle multitools, mainly for cleaning:

Gerber Short Stack for AR15(fits inside Magpul grip):

s-l640.gif

Real Avid for AR10:

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

eBay had 10% off thing going last week, so got them both with the offer.
Uh oh its tan! You can bet your butts that its a million bucks if it comes in tan!
AND THREADED BARREL. Don't be a smart alec, Michael. It looks like ONE TACTICAL MILLION DOLLARS! :embarrassed:

maxresdefault.jpg

I might still want it if it jammed once every magazine, I'm not even a Beretta fan. :lol:

a6m5 those tools look awesome. There's only so much brushing that you can do and I like the fact that the Real Avid can be used to damn near clean the entire bolt.

On the left is my new steel target from Shootingtargets7.com . It is 1/2" AR500 steel, 17" x 29" and weighs about 60 lbs. To the right is my older (recently spray painted) steel target from Shootingsteel.com. It is 3/8" AR500 steel and 12" x 20". I don't recall exactly how much it weighs but my guess is that it at least half or more of what the newer target weighs. The smaller target can handle .308/7.62x51 and has done so on several occasions very well. The larger target is rated upto 338 Lapua and 12 gauge slug. I will primarily be using the larger target for shooting beyond 300 yards, my hope is to some day shoot at 1,000 yards.

20181227_141846.jpg

I just bought myself an Uberti Henry 1866 lever action carbine reproduction in .38 via auction. I had not planned to get a lever rifle in a revolver caliber but I've always liked them and came across quite a deal. A used specimen with some dings and dents but with very good bore and metal, I won the auction with a 450 bucks bid. They cost like 1800 new. It holds 10+1, it has the toggle lock action which is the smoothest and quickest of all lever actions. Out of the 20'' barrel the .38 is nearly .357 mag level, with absolute zero felt recoil.

Can't wait to get my hands on it, I just hope there aren't any hidden gremlins in the rifle, 450 bucks is quite a bit cheaper than 1800. :odd:

This is the actual rifle. It has a few dents in the wood from rough handling, but I can repair that, and the brass is a little tarnished, but I can polish that.

G24jyaT.jpg

What made this gun so attractive to me is the relatively small caliber, I can shoot it a lot - 50 rounds of 38 special cost 12 bucks, but its still effective.

And I can save the brass to reload it which is even cheaper. Also all my rifles are chambered in large powerful calibers, I like a ''breather'' gun that does not kick a lot and is fun to shoot. And 10+1 out of a rifle this size and the ability to shoot it very quickly sounds like pure fun.

Latest Posts

Back