Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
After going on a several month hiatus due to Covid, my buddies and I finally competed in a USPSA match. This was my first match with the PCC and I know understand why this division is currently the fastest growing division in PCC. Mistakes were made in my part but man it was such a blast (no pun intended) complete the stages with a PCC instead of a handgun. I hope I can do one more USPSA match before the end of the year.

@Michael88 I've gotta figure out a way to save your post for future reference. That information is gold and I hope some day try to build a .280 Rem and reload some of that ammo.
You could take a screenshot or get a permalink by clicking on the post number (#8339) next to Report in the right hand top corner.

Last edited:
A while ago I had a strange little rough spot in my Glock barrel, despite all the cleaning it never got better. Always oiled it properly and dismissed it as especially stubborn fouling residue. That was after about 250 shots. Now after 600 or so, I carefully inspected the barrel again, AFTER a very through cleaning with the brush and copper solvents, and this is what I saw.

vJU9f10.jpg

K20VEmB.jpg

After careful inspection and a TON of additional cleaning and feeling the rough spots with a dentist pick I have come to the conclusion that the barrel is losing material, its chipping away from the chamber side. The first 2/3rd of the barrel from the muzzle down are still pristine. it is actually much worse than what you see in the picture because the blurriness takes away from the jagged sharpness of those rough spots.

I have a lot of experience with various calibers, never seen something like this before, not even in very hot magnum rifle calibers.

I'm going to contact Glock, this is a 9mm pistol, the barrel should not start to get eaten away after less than 1000 shots.

So much for Glock perfection I guess. :dunce:

Last edited:
You know Mike, despite a6 having that USP literally blow up in his hands you still have worse luck with handguns. Where did you manage to find corrosive 9mm ammo? :lol:

I have pistol barrels with many thousands of rounds through them and none look like that. I hope Glock takes care of you.

:sly:

Come to think of it, I would be an excellent firearms tester. You know for absolutely certain its a good gun if it does not start to immediately self destruct in my care. This would be funny if it wasn't so sad, lol. Though a6's explosive handgun self destruct was more spectacular than my failures.

Interestingly a friend of mine said that the barrel of his Glock GEN4 looks the same, and a friend with a GEN3 also said that. They both thought they somehow screwed up with cleaning. Apparently there is a problem with Glock barrels. Barrels of their competitors like S&W, CZ etc. don't look like you shot anti-tank cannon shells through them after only a triple digit number of rounds through them. :scared:

My personal guess is that the coating in the barrel is too hard or didn't fully adhere and flakes off like if you painted an oily surface without degreasing it beforehand, revealing the unpolished barrel metal underneath. The only weird thing is, the damage looks really deep, not sure of the coating is that thick.

But there is more bad things! My shooting range just closed down for the rest of this year, partly due to the pressure of the city council and the especially high infection rate in that area. But in all honesty, we have pretty much lost control over the spread of the infection, I would not have visited the range anyway. We have 4000 (and rising) new infections every day, with a populace of 8 million people.

Last edited:
Yeah it's hard for me to really tell from the pictures but it looks more like the pitting from rust or corrosion that you see in very old or poorly maintained barrels. I think Glock does some kind of nitro-carb treatment to the barrels which is supposed to make that steel super hard so who knows what is happening there.
Yes its true, it totally does look like pitting in very old guns - but notice how its only on the leading edge of the twist, basically the very most stressed parts of the entire barrel, just where the projectile gets spinned up. The rest of the barrel is immaculate. The mechanical force must erode those areas, but it would only be a matter of time until the area of those pits would become longer and longer.
The crazy thing is, it took only 500 rounds to get from one little tiny spot I initially dismissed as hard to remove residue to the magnitude of damage you can see in the picture.

Here is a picture into the barrel from the muzzle end, it looks pristine.

3ByNMOT.jpg

Just finished one of my lockdown-induced projects.

Turned this:

7mPkLw4.jpg

Into this:

94MZBpf.jpg

8fbceHl.jpg

Timney featherweight match trigger, Archangel M98 stock - which required more inletting than I expected- drilled the stock and installed a swivel stud, leather sling, installed a Hawke bipod with swivel, polished the entire action (Smoothest 98 action EVER!) , added flip-caps to the scope and of course painted it all in what I call december-camo. :lol: (Around here everything is dark green, black and brown during pre-snow season)

Building it was a lot of fun, now I only have to sight it in.

Last edited:
Just bought the ATI AR15 Oops kit. Last time I lost my safety detent pin which more or less put the entire rifle out of service it dawned to me that I should get some spares of the small parts in case I lose or break them. 💡
Stumbled across the ATI oops kit, it has 4x takedown springs, 2 safety / ejector springs, 2 buffer retainers, 2 buffer retainer springs, 3 take down detents, 2 safety detents, 1 extractor spring, 2 firing pin retaining pins.

And its just 25 bucks or so. I highly recommend that small kit to every AR15 user.

3dczhlx.jpg

Just bought the ATI AR15 Oops kit. Last time I lost my safety detent pin which more or less put the entire rifle out of service it dawned to me that I should get some spares of the small parts in case I lose or break them. 💡
Stumbled across the ATI oops kit, it has 4x takedown springs, 2 safety / ejector springs, 2 buffer retainers, 2 buffer retainer springs, 3 take down detents, 2 safety detents, 1 extractor spring, 2 firing pin retaining pins.

And its just 25 bucks or so. I highly recommend that small kit to every AR15 user.

3dczhlx.jpg

I lost a detent for the front takedown pin when assembling my AR lower while installing the front takedown pin. It went flying and I didn't find it for several days. Anyone who knows how an AR works knows that all the springs and detents are critical. Good buy.

I lost a detent for the front takedown pin when assembling my AR lower while installing the front takedown pin. It went flying and I didn't find it for several days. Anyone who knows how an AR works knows that all the springs and detents are critical. Good buy.
I have to say, that's one of the few things I do not like about my AR. The AK sure as hell does not have so many small parts. I love my AR buuuut.... :scared:

Oh, and I did something else gun related! I just ordered a custom replacement barrel for my Glock, because I don't want to wait months and months till Glock finally decides to move their lazy ass to send me a new factory barrel of which they probably have truckloads laying around. And heck, since I'm already getting a custom barrel I chose a threaded one. Maybe I'll throw a tiny compensator on it just for the heck of it. :D

Last edited:
Went to the range earlier today with one of my coworkers. She just recently acquired a Kimber Micro 9 and wanted to learn how to shoot. Although I didn't do much shooting, it still felt good to be back at the range. As for my coworker she did pretty good. In a string of 5-shots there are usually 2 or 3-shots (at most) that are up high. With more range time I'm confident that she'll be able to become more comfortable with her gun and keep her wrist from breaking upward.

Aside from that I hope all is well with everyone. I hope next year us a better year for all of us.

Unexpected Christmas gift! Stumbled over a total killer deal on a CZ Safari rifle (Mauser magnum action) in caliber .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, made in 1970. I don't hunt but I just had to have this big bore. .375 H&H is a dangerous game cartridge that launches 300 grain projectiles at 2600 fp/s for 4500 ft lbs. The rifle looks kinda normal but in reality everything on it is bigger and heavier, its 9.3 lbs unloaded no scope. And it holds 6 rounds in the magazine! Usually most magnum rifles hold 3 or 4 tops!

6H2xPPi.jpg

The .375 Holland Magnum compared to .308 and 223. Big boom guaranteed! :D

2RhzrM0.jpg

Last edited:
Unexpected Christmas gift! Stumbled over a total killer deal on a CZ Safari rifle (Mauser magnum action) in caliber .375 Holland & Holland Magnum, made in 1970. I don't hunt but I just had to have this big bore. .375 H&H is a dangerous game cartridge that launches 300 grain projectiles at 2600 fp/s for 4500 ft lbs. The rifle looks kinda normal but in reality everything on it is bigger and heavier, its 9.3 lbs unloaded no scope. And it holds 6 rounds in the magazine! Usually most magnum rifles hold 3 or 4 tops!

6H2xPPi.jpg

The .375 Holland Magnum compared to .308 and 223. Big boom guaranteed! :D

2RhzrM0.jpg

That is freakin' awesome

Got my LTC in the mail last Saturday or so. My dad and I swung by a Bass Pro to look at safes and cases and i don't think either of us liked the options available.

Also why the 🤬 is bass pro so packed in the middle of a pandemic?!

@Michael88 That thing must kick like a b...you know. Nice find!

Last edited:

I have not shot it yet, but according to friends and my calculations it should kick about 35% more than a 12 gauge 1 ounce shotgun slug out of a light shotgun. Its a heavy rifle.-
That does not sound too bad, I guess with a proper stance it will actually be quite fun. Though I think I won't try shooting it from prone position. :crazy:

Also, I just got my reloading supplies! Yay!
And heck, the dies, cases and bullets are all huge, this is far and beyond anything .308. :D

MGuT5JR.jpg

Last edited:
Got my LTC in the mail last Saturday or so. My dad and I swung by a Bass Pro to look at safes and cases and i don't think either of us liked the options available.

Also why the 🤬 is bass pro so packed in the middle of a pandemic?!

Congrats on finally receiving your LTC. I don't know what your future plans are in regards to future firearms purchases. But in regards to gun safes, get the biggest one you can afford with YOUR must have features.

As for Bass Pro being so packed during a pandemic :lol:. Grocery shopping and Bass Pro might be the only opportunity some people have for getting out of their house.

So, is ammo really that hard to find right now in the US? I heard most common calibers have dried up completely, even the gun channels I watch are reluctant spending more than ten rounds for demonstration purposes.:crazy:

So, is ammo really that hard to find right now in the US? I heard most common calibers have dried up completely, even the gun channels I watch are reluctant spending more than ten rounds for demonstration purposes.:crazy:
From all I’ve seen or read, yes. I haven’t bought any in the last year nor been to a store in 6 months. :lol:
Internet is the best option on actually getting some from what I hear.

Last edited:

Yes. People are hoarding it due to election drama and unrest. A couple different ammo manufacturers like Remington and Hornady have released YouTube videos explaining that they have never had a demand like this and are doing everything they can to keep up. Because people were spreading rumors they are doing it on purpose.

Weird. I can't get behind that thought process, do people expect some kind of super mass riot when Biden gets into office, where they'll need so much ammunition? I kind of understood people hoarding ammo and AR's during Obama's second term, but that was because he was a anti-gun hardliner with nothing to lose in the end.
But now? :confused:

Last edited:
Back