Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
The one exception on pistol caliber is the MP5. It is just about the only pistol caliber that is not direct blowback. I have been thinking about this off and on for some time and I have not really been able to think of another non-direct blowback submachine gun.
The radially delayed 9mm AR is also delayed blowback, like the Mp5, just a different system. Other than that, yeah, no clue. I don't think there is one besides some odd prototypes.

The radially delayed 9mm AR is also delayed blowback, like the Mp5, just a different system. Other than that, yeah, no clue. I don't think there is one besides some odd prototypes.
I've heard of UMPs being fairly easy to manage despite being direct blowback, but I'm not sure on that one.

Hell yeahs.

A440AB2C-9F5C-42D8-9FF5-FA8E83231D70.jpeg

Not exactly cheap. Had to get two 8 pellets, 1450. Three inch 12 pellets,1450. Hot suckers.

Hell yeahs.

View attachment 958617

Not exactly cheap. Had to get two 8 pellets, 1450. Three inch 12 pellets,1450. Hot suckers.

Sweet!

There'll be a video, but the list looks like this:
  1. FN Five-seveN
  2. Desert Eagle (.50 AE)
  3. Ohio Ordinance BAR (.308)
  4. Daniel Defense DDM4 ISR (.300 Blackout)
  5. SCAR 16 (.223/5.56)
I looked ahead to confirm these were all on the list of available rentals.

That is a very nice selection of firearms.

The grand power stribog a3 is cam roller delayed.
The b&t apc9 is a hydraulically buffered blowback system.

If b&t were able to incorporate their buffer with a roller locking system, it'd probably be like shooting a pellet gun. Haha.

I don't think any of the other lock up systems are quite as good as HK's, but as long as it's not direct blowback it's better than nothing.

@Obelisk, the SCAR is trash. The bolt carrier group smacks into the back of the gun during the firing cycle (cause it's a "battle rifle", yall!) and is a really unpleasant experience compared to a well-gassed AR. Can't imagine full auto lol.

Last edited:
Well, it turns out there's another range even closer to my hotel. If there's anything additional there that catches my curiosity I'll add it.

@Omnis It seems to be the only select fire/auto at the range I'm going to.

@Obelisk, the SCAR is trash. The bolt carrier group smacks into the back of the gun during the firing cycle (cause it's a "battle rifle", yall!) and is a really unpleasant experience compared to a well-gassed AR. Can't imagine full auto lol.

I don't have any personal experience with the SCAR but I have heard the same thing about it on multiple occasions. One of the things I wonder is if the CZ Bren 2 has the same issue?

Today I sold my .45ACP CZ97. You may think I'm crazy because I praised it so much, and I still think its a very good pistol.
What happened is, I shot a friends Glock 17 and I fell in love again. I shot it side by side with my CZ and I could shoot the Glock 17 significantly better, it felt much better in my hands, I shot it more precisely, muzzle raise was much lower, it was just a joy. :dopey: My first handgun was a Glock 17, and I sold it for the CZ97 in .45.
Now I reverse that mistake.

Apparently the Glock 17 is the end-all be-all for me, as far as handguns go.

Here's the video! I'm not 100% certain what happened to cause the stovepipe on the 5-7, but other than that one hiccup everything ran smoothly.
You did a good job controlling those guns. Also no magazine dumps but controlled bursts. Very good. 👍

You did a good job controlling those guns. Also no magazine dumps but controlled bursts. Very good.
Thank you! I'll admit, I'm feeling like this was way too easy for me, although that might just be because I'm experienced enough to control the things. Most of the guns felt like paper toys to me...I suppose I got a bit of imposter syndrome because of it :lol:

Today I sold my .45ACP CZ97. You may think I'm crazy because I praised it so much, and I still think its a very good pistol.
What happened is, I shot a friends Glock 17 and I fell in love again. I shot it side by side with my CZ and I could shoot the Glock 17 significantly better, it felt much better in my hands, I shot it more precisely, muzzle raise was much lower, it was just a joy. :dopey: My first handgun was a Glock 17, and I sold it for the CZ97 in .45.
Now I reverse that mistake.

Apparently the Glock 17 is the end-all be-all for me, as far as handguns go.

You did a good job controlling those guns. Also no magazine dumps but controlled bursts. Very good. 👍

With that being said, is the Gen 5 Glock 17 Mos your next purchase?

With that being said, is the Gen 5 Glock 17 Mos your next purchase?

Nope, I got a killer deal on a new Gen3 G17. Old school, nothing fancy, just the way I like it. Gen 5 MOS is like 300 bucks more expensive, yes it comes with the ability put a red dot on it, but I find red dots on pistols slow, terrible and bulky. When I grab a gun it takes me considerably longer to find the dot than to get the iron sights aligned.
Yeah, it allows me to adjust the grip angle but the original Glock angle fits me like a glove, I don't want to change that. Yes, it has front slide serrations, but I don't brass check by grabbing the slide in front of the chamber. Also, the finger grooves fit my fingers really well too, I dont like the flat Gen5 grip.

The only good thing is the flared magazine well, but I got a magazine funnel that goes on my G17 Gen3 that is larger and even better. :dopey: So I have zero reason to go Gen5.

I'll only add a few things to it, the magazine funnel I mentioned, a lighter trigger spring, a metal spring guide rod, and probably a light.

Last edited:
Bwah, I good a new rifle, waited 10 days for it to arrive...and its damaged. Fortunately I can send it back and get a replacement. But that takes another 10 days for me returning it and after that another 10 days for the replacement to arrive. :boggled: If owning guns teaches you one thing its patience.

m3OyuV5.jpg

@Michael88 what rifle is that?

A Tryon Creedmoore, a replica of a long range muzzle loader, technically one of the first sniper rifles ever. Shoots very long heavy lead conical with precision rivaling modern day rifles, even out to 500+ yards. It achieves the precision by using a projectile that compresses and expands when the pressure in the barrel rises, perfectly engaging the rifling and creating a very good seal. With this kind of rifle Yankee snipers engaged confederate cannon crews and officers from several hundred yards away.

be9CKHJ.jpg

Today I got the chance to shoot a friends muzzle loader rifle from prone position at 100 meters. He let me do 5 shots, the first hit was the perfect one in the middle. Shooting from prone with iron sights is hard, shooting a muzzleloader from prone is even harder, but its a LOT of fun.:sly:👍

v6oVX6u.jpg
That’d take a deer down! Nice shooting!

Hey so, I know I've talked about this in the distant past, but I am finally taking a class to get my LTC on the 17th and have talked with my dad about getting handguns. I'm not sure what I'd want to pick up, but my dad has offhandedly said something like a Beretta 84 (or similar 380/9mm) would be good to have. I'm personally thinking of a 1911 variant in .45.

Any recommendations?

Hey so, I know I've talked about this in the distant past, but I am finally taking a class to get my LTC on the 17th and have talked with my dad about getting handguns. I'm not sure what I'd want to pick up, but my dad has offhandedly said something like a Beretta 84 (or similar 380/9mm) would be good to have. I'm personally thinking of a 1911 variant in .45.

Any recommendations?

The smaller the better. Look for a sub compact.

I'm personally thinking of a 1911 variant in .45.

Any recommendations?
Personally, I would not recommend a 1911. A 1911 under 2000 bucks that is. I've had terrible experience with 1911's, as have friends of mine, it seems like only the really high quality pieces work reliably. Also, while a reliable 1911 is a great range pistol, its a HEAVY BRICK to carry and conceal.

A Glock 43 is a popular choice for carry, but looking at the video you posted you seem to be a big boy. The grip of a Glock 43 may be too small for you to shoot it comfortably and effectively. I'm 6'1'' and weigh 250 with glove size XL, I cannot hold any Glock properly but the full size ones, that's why I chose the Glock 17 for my general purpose gun.
I'd recommend to try the Glock 19 or 48 first, its a tiny little bit smaller than the full size Glock 17, its better to conceal and its an extremely popular carry gun. Its also still big enough to serve as a fun range gun. The really small compact pistols are great for carrying but they plain and simply suck at the shooting range because they recoil more and the sight radius is very short which is bad for accuracy.

Also, I may be slightly biased, but for personal defense reliability is more important than anything else, and that's where Glock is king.

Last edited:
Back