Real Guns

• Thread starter Calibretto
  • 8,850 comments
@a6m5 take a look at We The People Holsters. With a holster like this you can choose between AIWB or IWB carry with the same holster.

Edit: I just found another holster company you might be interested in. What I like about their IWB holsters is they're already cut low enough for you to mount a red dot onto your carry pistol. Lastly, they currently have a buy one get one free sale going on.

Last edited:
@a6m5 take a look at We The People Holsters. With a holster like this you can choose between AIWB or IWB carry with the same holster.

Edit: I just found another holster company you might be interested in. What I like about their IWB holsters is they're already cut low enough for you to mount a red dot onto your carry pistol. Lastly, they currently have a buy one get one free sale going on.

Rep from a company we work with has texted me We the People link few days ago. He concealed carries, so I've been getting my advice from him & you guys. Unfortunately, my $20 holster was delayed & didn't get here, so that's gonna delay my holster search a few days. I'll check out both of those recommendations when I get the chance. 👍

I was forced to work Saturday shift tomorrow, but I'm going to attempt to go shooting after work to at least test out the P365. Make sure it's not a picky eater or anything. One of the guys at work I remembered had P365, had chance to talk to him about it today. He was delighted with the gun, surprised how well he shot with it. I'm hoping for similar results. I'll let you guys know.

Rep from a company we work with has texted me We the People link few days ago. He concealed carries, so I've been getting my advice from him & you guys. Unfortunately, my $20 holster was delayed & didn't get here, so that's gonna delay my holster search a few days. I'll check out both of those recommendations when I get the chance. 👍

I was forced to work Saturday shift tomorrow, but I'm going to attempt to go shooting after work to at least test out the P365. Make sure it's not a picky eater or anything. One of the guys at work I remembered had P365, had chance to talk to him about it today. He was delighted with the gun, surprised how well he shot with it. I'm hoping for similar results. I'll let you guys know.
Truth be told, you are better off canceling the order of you inexpensive holster then spend the money on a good quality holster. What is nice about a few of these companies is being able to return your holster (with-in 30-days) and get your money back.

Truth be told, you are better off canceling the order of you inexpensive holster then spend the money on a good quality holster. What is nice about a few of these companies is being able to return your holster (with-in 30-days) and get your money back.
Yeah, I was recently told about being able to return them. It was just for testing, as I didn't even know where to start at the time.

Sighted in my new precision rifle, a Howa 1500 in .308. Top group is cheap 147 grain FMJ Nato ball ammo, the group in the middle is my 155 grain BTHP handload. 5 Shots each. The reason for the FMJ group being so high is that its an electronic target, meaning it ''cleans'' the target by sliding them up out of sight.-

5eLYuTt.jpg

@Michael88 good job on the handloads, that group looks awesome. What distance were you shooting at? How far do you plan on shooting that rifle in the future?
Thank you! I was shooting at 100 meters / 110yds. I was surprised that my first hand load in that rifle performed so well, I expected more testing. That 155 grain SMK is awesome, the bullets are VERY uniform and out of my 20'' barrel the 155 makes more sense than the 168's

As for now, I only have access to 100 meter /110yd ranges, I may have the opportunity to shoot at 500 and maybe 700 next year if covid doesn't screw things up again.

Last edited:
I just learned that Dugan Ashley is dying of MS, so I dropped 25 bucks into his fundraiser.
You may know him from the crazy 80's style firearms videos he made, but then he went dark for a couple years because his condition worsened so much. Now he is dying of MS and asks for monetary help because his medical bills are astronomical, he has no insurance to cover it and has to take care of his kids as well.:( Maybe one of you guys want to drop a buck or two into his fundraiser: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-dugan-ashley-with-multiple-sclerosis-expenses

Last edited:
I just learned that Dugan Ashley is dying of MS, so I dropped 25 bucks into his fundraiser.
You may know him from the crazy 80's style firearms videos he made, but then he went dark for a couple years because his condition worsened so much. Now he is dying of MS and asks for monetary help because his medical bills are astronomical, he has no insurance to cover it and has to take care of his kids as well.:( Maybe one of you guys want to drop a buck or two into his fundraiser: https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-dugan-ashley-with-multiple-sclerosis-expenses
That video of Dugan is very tough to watch. CarnikCon provided so many hours of entertainment that there is no way I cannot send Dugan a few bucks.

That video of Dugan is very tough to watch. CarnikCon provided so many hours of entertainment that there is no way I cannot send Dugan a few bucks.
Its so hard to watch I have to admit I quit halfway through - I saw loved ones and people I really like go in horrible and slow ways one too many times I think, can't stand it anymore. :nervous:

I just gave five bucks. He looks familiar, but I'm not sure if I ever saw his videos.

When I was looking on Google, it mentioned some feud FPSRussia channel, and of course that guy passed away. 😬

I loaded and tested some roundball 12 gauge loads. From all the calibers I reload, this is my favorite one to load & shoot, its so fun to shoot and so unconventional, no rifling, a single .72cal 560 grain roundball at 1600fps and accurate enough to be useful. No f's given.

Another unique thing is they're the only round I own that make a ''WHOOOOSH'' sound downrange, probably because of the size and shape of the round ball. :lol: I can only recommend loading those, you don't even need reloading equipment for that, no die and no press, just the wadding, primed shells, powder, balls and a 15$ crimper bit for the power drill.
I don't hunt but I imagine inside 50yds they'd hit hard enough for even dangerous game.

7K5myVi.jpg

At 25 yds standing unsupported. Not amazing but definitely good enough!

Mejc7BT.jpg

Last edited:
Also, I just learned something new about guns today. Or rather, accessories.

I have a pair of Pachmayr grips on my 1911, they look and feel really good, but there is a problem, each panel has a little brass disk with the Pachmayr logo on it inletted - these will fall out fairly quickly because the glue they use sucks. Fortunately I immediately noticed the missing disc and could recover it from the floor. Just glued it back into place, and did the other one too, it was falling out of the grip panel already as I could lift it out of the panel with the tip of my pocket knife.

So if you get any Pachmayr grips, get those coins or discs out and glue them into place with proper glue. Do that before you go shooting.

51BMzmU-QVS._AC_SX425_.jpg

Last edited:
I'm experimenting with a cheap magnifier on my main rifle. It's from company called Riton, and still cost $130(shipped), but I'm liking it so far(pics on my blog).

cc.jpg

Downside is it partially blocks controls for the red dot. 😬 It's still worth the inconvenience for me though + I was able to keep the backup sight right where it was.

As long as the brightness is set right, then you should mostly not need to access the controls. I want to pick up a magnifier for my rifle, but have not even made an effort to buy one.

As long as the brightness is set right, then you should mostly not need to access the controls. I want to pick up a magnifier for my rifle, but have not even made an effort to buy one.
Left button is totally exposed on my EOTech, but good part of button on the right is blocked. To turn it off, you have to press down both buttons, so that's bit challenging.

This Riton brand's supposed to be decent quality, so I wanted to play around with this one first, then maybe consider EOTech magnifier down the line($$$).

Left button is totally exposed on my EOTech, but good part of button on the right is blocked. To turn it off, you have to press down both buttons, so that's bit challenging.

This Riton brand's supposed to be decent quality, so I wanted to play around with this one first, then maybe consider EOTech magnifier down the line($$$).
I was wondering about this after I saw the pics you posted on your blog. I was introduced to the Riton brand at the an Outdoorsman expo several years ago. I'd say their optics are fairly similar to what Vortex offers but at a lower price. I wish I would have paid better attention to the the specific Riton scope and Vortex scope the Riton vendor had in display for comparison purposes. But Riton makes some decent optics.

I also read your post about the We The People holster you purchased. Have you figured out a way to comfortably carry with that holster? Also, don't feel bad about not feeling comfortable with carry a round in the chamber. The confidence to do so will eventually come at some point. Videos like this were what made me take that leap of faith to carry with one in the chamber.

You really cannot access the buttons even if you tilt the magnifier to the side? From the pic it looks like you can get access to them, barely. Does it have a quick-release lever? Remember, you can put the magnifier on and off it does not change your zero, ever. I'd keep it off the rifle until I plan to shoot longer ranges.

Nice setup BTW!

I did some AR shooting, my 10'' MK18 clone, standing unsupported at 50yds. IMO the most important shooting stance and distance combo. Was pleasantly surprised by the accuracy I could achieve shooting this rapidly, it was basically one shot every 1.5 seconds.

zxuhV2H.jpg

Last edited:
I was wondering about this after I saw the pics you posted on your blog. I was introduced to the Riton brand at the an Outdoorsman expo several years ago. I'd say their optics are fairly similar to what Vortex offers but at a lower price. I wish I would have paid better attention to the the specific Riton scope and Vortex scope the Riton vendor had in display for comparison purposes. But Riton makes some decent optics.
Picture is clear, and it seems very solid & durable. I wish it was bit smoother to flip it to the side, but it might be just matter of breaking it in.
I also read your post about the We The People holster you purchased. Have you figured out a way to comfortably carry with that holster? Also, don't feel bad about not feeling comfortable with carry a round in the chamber. The confidence to do so will eventually come at some point. Videos like this were what made me take that leap of faith to carry with one in the chamber.
Yeah, I've watched few videos like that & I totally agree that if you are going to carry, one in the chamber's the way to do it. I'm sure I'll get there before too long, too. Having said that, I haven't been in the rush to carry it that way either, because while I shouldn't say I wouldn't be nervous of hand-to-hand combat, I do feel more comfortable with that idea than most. I've also had good luck dodging, evading, de-escalation, etc. in confrontations & I feel somewhat confident that I'll have options in such encounters.

Perhaps the biggest influence for me to concealed carry in the first place were the headline making shootings. Last couple years, I've been noticing lot of shootings in retail establishments. I do remember hearing about survivors reporting how they had to hide & hope for the best. In those types of scenario, having one in chamber isn't as big of a deal as long as you have the gun on you.

As for carrying it comfortably, it's still a hit & miss. It's not so bad that I'm trying to look up how-to youtube videos, or experiment different positions? Downside is because I'm not doing any new research, it's a total status quo at least for now.
You really cannot access the buttons even if you tilt the magnifier to the side? From the pic it looks like you can get access to them, barely. Does it have a quick-release lever? Remember, you can put the magnifier on and off it does not change your zero, ever. I'd keep it off the rifle until I plan to shoot longer ranges.

Nice setup BTW!
Thanks Michael. Good shooting there by the way. 👍

On the EOTech buttons, I can access them, but the button on the right is really hard to get at, even with magnifier flipped over. You can still push the button, but you'll have to use your fingertip in an awkward angle. Pain in the butt, but still usable.

Given the button orientation of your Eotech, I think you might be better off getting a different red dot sight if you aren't able space the magnifier and Eotech far enough to access both buttons; while still being able to take advantage of the magnifier.

Last edited:
Given the button orientation of your Eotech, I think you might be better off getting a different red dot sight if you aren't able space the magnifier and Eotech far enough to access both buttons; while still being able to take advantage of the magnifier.
If it was hard to turn it on, I would do something else right now. Challenging to turn it off, it's definitely a hassle, but not a dealbreaker. At least not right at this moment. 😬

Last edited:
On the EOTech buttons, I can access them, but the button on the right is really hard to get at, even with magnifier flipped over. You can still push the button, but you'll have to use your fingertip in an awkward angle. Pain in the butt, but still usable.
I misunderstood why you were having issues hitting the buttons. I completely did not think about the mount being the issue.

The Springfield SA-35 is interesting if for no other reason than the price. Browning Hi-Powers have always been a little on the pricy side.

I have a Hi Power that I posted pictures of in this thread back in 2015

I'd never heard of the SA-35 until you guys were talking about it. That's pretty cool. Hi Powers are pricey because it was John Browning's last design before he died if I remember correctly. The SA-35 looks pretty legit. I took the magazine safety out of my hi power so it would fire a round in the chamber without a magazine inserted and let me tell you, there is some weird stuff going on in there. John Browning was a mad man. Overlapping cam bolts/screws etc but cool none the less. Be cool to pick one up for anyone. Taking the magazine safety out made the trigger pull worlds better FYI.

Last edited:
I have a Hi Power that I posted pictures of in this thread back in 2015

I'd never heard of the SA-35 until you guys were talking about it. That's pretty cool. Hi Powers are pricey because it was John Browning's last design before he died if I remember correctly. The SA-35 looks pretty legit. I took the magazine safety out of my hi power so it would fire a round in the chamber without a magazine inserted and let me tell you, there is some weird stuff going on in there. John Browning was a mad man. Overlapping cam bolts/screws etc but cool none the less. Be cool to pick one up for anyone. Taking the magazine safety out made the trigger pull worlds better FYI.
With good reason on not hearing of the SA-35, it was only released this week. The reason there is weird stuff going on with the internals of the Hi-Power is Browning had to work around his patents that Colt held with the 1911.

With good reason on not hearing of the SA-35, it was only released this week. The reason there is weird stuff going on with the internals of the Hi-Power is Browning had to work around his patents that Colt held with the 1911.
I can see that. All I did was take out that one safety and it was pretty elaborate compared to most gun designs.

Edit - Doing a little bit of reading on the SA-35, it does not have the mag safety which is already a big plus.

Last edited:
Today I went to the range again and I'm starting to notice a pretty weird trend - nobody is going target shooting anymore.
When the pandemic started about 1/3 of the frequent shooters would not visit the range anymore, but that was to be expected, but the last 10 times I went to the range there were only 1-2 people shooting their guns anymore. Today I was the ONLY one at the range. :boggled:
Its a pretty big shooting range with 30 lanes from 25 to 100 meters, and it used to be filled to capacity. Being such a big complex located in a very small quiet town gave it an eerie post-apocalyptic feeling. I asked a couple of my buddies why they don't shoot their guns anymore and all they said was they simply don't feel like it, really.

I don't get it - yeah ammo prices are a little high at the moment and there is lots going on with the pandemic and stuff - but that's not stopping me at all. Weird. I don't get it, especially since like EVERYONE and literally their mum is buying guns and ammo whenever I visit my gun store. And I don't think its just this range, there is nothing wrong with it.

So anyway, today I shot my AR at 100 meters and tried some Lithuanian 55 grain ball - boy, that ammo is pretty good. Shot this very casually without trying very had and with a really fast cadence. And my AR's barrel isn't even free-floated.

t1arf.jpg

Last edited:
Back