Really enjoying the new STi...

• Thread starter JM1681
  • 30 comments
jm1681
I didn't think I would like it nearly as much as I do.

The interior looks great, the styling [somehow] grew on me, and it feels exactly like I'd expect it to.

Anyone else?

And why a new thread for this? Why not use the unveiling of cars thread in which a disccussion is goign on about the cars and which ones are good and which ones are bad.

Anyway, yes I do like the Impreza although it is very ugly.

For some reason the idea of a hatchback on a WRX doesn't sit well, but I like the hatchbacks, so I like it. Just something in my head refuses to look at it and say WRX.

As for driving it, it is a blast.

For some reason the idea of a hatchback on a WRX doesn't sit well, but I like the hatchbacks, so I like it. Just something in my head refuses to look at it and say WRX.

As for driving it, it is a blast.

Yes it is a fun little drive, but as a current WRX owner this new style looks like 🤬. The STI trimmings do help some but the Subaru design department really fudged this generation up, IMHO. I suppose I should reserve final judgment until I see one in person, however I sure ain't feeling any itch to upgrade.

yea the car is really fun and easy to drive.

the look is new and it will probably take me a while to get used to but I definitely like it better than the old bugeye

Yes it is a fun little drive, but as a current WRX owner this new style looks like 🤬. The STI trimmings do help some but the Subaru design department really fudged this generation up, IMHO. I suppose I should reserve final judgment until I see one in person, however I sure ain't feeling any itch to upgrade.

Why wait? check out the latest STI official special content video from Subaru here

Why wait? check out the latest STI official special content video from Subaru here

Well that does help some, but it is still not the same as seeing it in person. And I will admit it looks slightly better in pics and vids than it does in the game, but still not pleasant to gaze upon by any stretch of the imagination.

Regardless performance is the point, anyone know if they have a Ring lap time established yet?

My favorite STI was probably the 2005...maybe even the 06 which grew on me quite a bit. I was really shocked when i first saw this car....i think the regular Impreza is fugly....but somehow, this new STI is starting to grow on me too.....except for the tailights. They look great on some cars, but IMO the tailights on this car are not the best choice.

My favorite STI was probably the 2005...maybe even the 06 which grew on me quite a bit. I was really shocked when i first saw this car....i think the regular Impreza is fugly....but somehow, this new STI is starting to grow on me too.....except for the tailights. They look great on some cars, but IMO the tailights on this car are not the best choice.

Definitely BIG 👎 on the tail lights. Look like they were glued on with a Bedazzler or something.

JM is that you!
Anyways i love the STi too. I have a strong feeling it's gonna be way faster than the Evo X. I think the Impreza is nicer as a whole also. The new Evo has a beautiful font end, but the rear looks like everything's been squeezed towards the top, like it was rear-ended by a slammed civic or something. But I still love the Evo and it will probably have more aftermarket support.

Didn't think I would say this but I am really starting to like the new STi. Even the styling, although I would rather red taillights.

There is a good chance it is me :)

Can't place you I'm afraid; though with "AE86 FTW" in your sig, I'm confident we've met before :dunce:
No, never mind. I play with a guy named JM761 all the time on PSN. I asked him and he said he's not on GT planet. Nice meeting you though:tup:

When I first saw this, I was saying this to myself:

I can't believe they are filming this crap like it looks good.

And now the style is really starting to grow on me, and it's not that bad. lol. Could be worse...like the non-STi versions (hatchback or not). The STi bodystyling helps A LOT.

Hatchback....does this mean they have a chance in WRC events now? ;)

Seriously though, like Viper it's kind of grown on me from playing the demo.

the new subaru looks nothing like it should. m dad has one and its lost all the spirit that the old subis had. disgraceful. no sedans anymore either.

I like the handling of the STI but I absolutely cant stand the way it looks. I own a 02 so don't get me wrong the bug eyes wernt the prettiest car ever either but it looks better than the new one. what was wrong with the 05's I'm not sure why they changed that in the first place.

Funny thing is GT introduced me to the lancer and the WRX now I love both cars, but have always favored the WRX. If the demo is a accurate representation of there handling I'll prob trade the WRX for a EVO some day not another WRX. I think the WRX might have a slight edge in striate line speed and cornering under decel, but the EVO has better brakes, its better on throttle (aka doesn't push as much), and its a little better rolling threw the center i think.

Hatchback....does this mean they have a chance in WRC events now? ;)

Kinda thinking the same thing actually but I thought one of the issues with the prior chassis was that the wheel base length was longer compared to the Fords, Citroens, etc. The result being that the shorter wheel base hatches had just enough increase in agility that they could negotiate the tight twistes a hair faster. However I could have sworn I read where this new WRX STI chassis is actually slightly longer than the old one :confused:

Just for comparisons sake:
2008 WRX 5door wheel base - 103.1" (the version the new STI is based on)
2007 WRX STI sedan wheel base - 99.4"

It is only one single variable, but they must be addressing the relative weaknesses of the prior platform in other ways.

I still like the S204 impreza look tho:

subaru_impreza_S204.jpg

I didn't think I would like it nearly as much as I do.

The interior looks great, the styling [somehow] grew on me, and it feels exactly like I'd expect it to.

Anyone else?

The STI, not so much. I'm really diggin' on the EVO X. It's badass. 👍

Kinda thinking the same thing actually but I thought one of the issues with the prior chassis was that the wheel base length was longer compared to the Fords, Citroens, etc. The result being that the shorter wheel base hatches had just enough increase in agility that they could negotiate the tight twistes a hair faster. However I could have sworn I read where this new WRX STI chassis is actually slightly longer than the old one :confused:

Just for comparisons sake:
2008 WRX 5door wheel base - 103.1" (the version the new STI is based on)
2007 WRX STI sedan wheel base - 99.4"

It is only one single variable, but they must be addressing the relative weaknesses of the prior platform in other ways.

Wow, didn't know that, automatically assumed they'd have a shorter wheelbase. Still, let's hope they're more successful next time around, so depressing seeing them have to fight for podium places.

The 15S STI does have a longer wheel base, that is actually part of Subaru's selling point.

The long wheel base's intended to provide more interior room for the car now that they literally turn the WRC icon into an fugly wagon. Long wheel base is bad for rally (well at least after Group B was banned), this is why you don't see a lot of coupes in WRC (oh the 307.....LOL) and the sedan type chassis is gradually being phased out.

Subaru might have a better chance next year with MG retiring, however, I don't think their number one PS can make a dent on the Citroen and the Fords anyway; especially with a totally brand new machine.

Back