Really need a car now (deopsit down!!!)!

  • Thread starter Thread starter DQuaN
  • 67 comments
  • 3,015 views

DQuaN

Goat of the Year
Premium
Messages
12,299
United Kingdom
Ealing-London
After the pouring rain of the past couple of days. I really want a car now.

I have a new job so can afford up to £3-4k.

Jess will have to be able to use it sometimes so it can't be a big car. We are looking at Golf's, A3's and Focus'.

However, I was just browsing through Autotrader and came across some nice Alfa 147's. They are pretty, and fun to drive. My main concern is how much time will i spend at the side of the road on the phone to the RAC?

Any suggestions?
 
My aunt and uncle had a 147 until they upgraded to a GT. I don't think they spend much time waiting for road side service. It did break down once though, of course, when they were in italy, which meant service was ridiculous :-D
 
I'm talking out of preference here (no idea of the reliablity or anything of those cars) but I'd pick the Alfa Romeo. Actually the Golf is probably the "smart" pick out of the lot.
 
What was the problem when it broke down?
 
What was the problem when it broke down?

I honestly don't remember. Nothing major would be my guess, as the problem was fixed and the car had no issues when driving back to Denmark. The biggest problem was actually finding an AR shop that wasn't closed that very weekend.
 
As the VW expert, I'd care to know what generation of Golf you're looking at. The MKIII Models were pretty decent cars, but thats mainly because they weren't overloaded with weight and overall did the part of "economy car" quite well. Personally speaking, while the MKIV is a lovely car, its a bit of a "step down" in terms of overall performance and economy.

The VW would be the safe choice, there are a gazillion of them out there, and would be easy to work on if you have to.

===

And as a curious American, I'd just buy the Alfa because Clarkson told me so...
 
Jess is popping down to the bank today to sort out a loan. We decided it would be much better than using finance from the dealer. We'll get £4k and stick it in a savings account while we look for a car.
 
MOAR info needed.

What's your insurance liable to be? Do you have any NCD?
 
If you want something sporty and Italian, how about a Fiat Punto HGT Abarth?

For 4K you should be able to get a 2002/3 model with fairly low miles.

Something like this in fact:

1aa8_4.JPG
 
Wow, for a Punto, that doesn't look bad...

Too bad they don't come stateside.
 
MOAR info needed.

What's your insurance liable to be? Do you have any NCD?


No but she does. I'll be the main Driver with her a named driver. I got a quote from Direct Line for a Focus 2.0 Zetec 3door for roughly £580 a year or £170 deposit and £52 a month. (Don't bother adding that up because I can't remember exactly, it's a guestimate!)

That's fully comp with a £250 voluntary excess.

Punto looks nice but a Focus should be more reliable.
 
Go with the Focus. I'd suggest it anyway for someone with little or no NCD - it's not typically involved in big crashes, nor driven by teenagers, so it's a low risk and quite a lot of car for your money.


Or get a late Mk1 MX-5 1.8 :D
 
I think i'll stick with the former thanks Famine! ;)
 
MX-5 will be cheaper to run, service and fix, and will be more reliable... :D
 
Just went to a big car supermarket in White City. The only Focus' they had in our price range had 90k+ miles.

I'm sure we can do better than that.
 
Just saw this. But Jess says i'm not allowed it. :(
 
High insurance, high likelihood of it breaking down, expensive to fix.
 
I'd have bought a 156 Sportswagon instead of the Forester i've got now, had it been available in AWD. Both my dad and my step brother have had 156's without either of them experiencing break downs or expensive bills. They're great cars to drive.
 
It's still £1200 a year in insurance, just for me.

Compare that to £500 for a 2 litre Focus with both of us insured.
 
Christ-on-a-bike, £1200!!!

...get the Focus.
 
lol

Looks like that's gonna have to be the plan.
 
Just put a deposit on a car! :cheers:

02 Ford Focus 1.6 Zetec. 58k miles.

I took it for a test drive and all was well apart from it kept crunching into second. They said they'd fix it up for us free of charge and fit a new stereo for free too (it didn't have one).

We pick it up next weekend! :D
 
Gah, apparently they're waiting on a part so the car wont be ready until next week. :(
 
The garage that is part of the dealership.

Should be ready by Wednesday.
 
No actually I arrived right on time, thank you.
 
Back