Rear View Mirror for Hood Cam?

BarbarianGoth

(Banned)
Canada
Canada
Baptized_Soviet
Baptized Soviet
Is it possible to get the rear view mirror in hood cam? Can't find it in the options.
Hood cam allows me to see where the car is on the track in relation to the curbs and I feel I can push better than in bumper or cockpit cam.
But in online races, you NEED the rear view mirror to see if your opponent is going to dive into the inside and ram you off the track.

Last edited:
Didn't Kaz say that he thought the hood cam was OP? And that was why they didn't include a rearview mirror?

I vaguely seem to remember this in an interview.
A driving view OP? lol
Kaz is going barmy.

Didn't Kaz say that he thought the hood cam was OP? And that was why they didn't include a rearview mirror?

I vaguely seem to remember this in an interview.
Thing is, if you look back approaching a corner, chances are you're going to shoot of the track.

A driving view OP? lol
Kaz is going barmy.

Thing is, if you look back approaching a corner, chances are you're going to shoot of the track.

Someone interviewed him and asked why there wasn't a mirror. If someone could source the article/video it would be great? But I think he may have been talking about being able to see the leading edges of the vehicle and it being easier to place the car at its limit on the track.

Not an issue for me, never really been a fan of hood or chase cam tbh.

Another good thing about hood cam is you can hear the actual engine sounds. In cockpit/bumper cam all the engines sound the same because of the generic loud transmission whine outlouding everything else.

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-e3-multiclass-racing-customized-race-suits-another-beta/

GTP: Why is there no rear-view mirror available in the “roof view”?
KY: There is no real technical reason why it is not there, but the roof view is easier to drive with. It might be unfair if [a rear-view mirror] was there. If you make the view too easy for people to use, everyone might just be using that view.

:boggled:
To Kaz I say, if you want to make Sport Mode as balanced as possible:
-Lock the view to one specific one in Sport Mode (either cockpit or bumper cam). This includes disabling rear view.
-Lock all assists, including visual assists, to one specific preset.
-Only allow one make races (all competitors have the same car)
-Seperate wheel users from controller users

Then nothing will be OP and everyone will be on a level playing field. That goes for qualifying as well. If you're not gonna do that, then stop talking fluff Kaz.

Mirror please. Sorry, but what's OP?
OP=overpowered
Apparently hood cam would be overpowered if it had rear view mirror. It would be the best view yes, but so what? Nobody would be forced to use it.
On qualifying leaderboards, you usually see a dominant car in the top ten in races, so what's the big deal about driving views?

Last edited:
KY: There is no real technical reason why it is not there, but the roof view is easier to drive with. It might be unfair if [a rear-view mirror] was there. If you make the view too easy for people to use, everyone might just be using that view.
What in the world? Kaz... It's not a matter of it being easy or hard- it's about situational awareness. The rear view is more for the benefit of other drivers.

Personally, I either use cockpit view or bumper. I've tried others and those two always end up giving me the most consistent and fastest laps.

Does the roof cam at least have the radar indicators?

What in the world? Kaz... It's not a matter of it being easy or hard- it's about situational awareness. The rear view is more for the benefit of other drivers.

Personally, I either use cockpit view or bumper. I've tried others and those two always end up giving me the most consistent and fastest laps.

Does the roof cam at least have the radar indicators?

Yeah both views still have radars and proximity indicators.

Maybe its not the right way to balance it, but I can see why they would say that it may give a user advantage in a race.

Racing would be cleaner, better, more fun and more realistic if everyone had a rear view mirror, regardless of which view they choose. For me, hood cam is the most like actually driving. I already have a wheel and small dashboard in front of me. All I want or need is the hood of the car for visual reference, and a rear view mirror. Like cars have. Like I see when I look out my windshield in the real world. Just my 2 cents.

what advantage exactly has the hood cam against bumper cam?
i use bumper most of the times because cockpit view is messed up in some cars

Both hood and bumper cam are "faster" for most of the people compared to "cockpit" view not matter how messed up "cockpit" view is.

what advantage exactly has the hood cam against bumper cam?
i use bumper most of the times because cockpit view is messed up in some cars
It's higher off the ground. Gives you a better view of upcoming apexes etc. Can help with confidence.

Kaz is right though, it's my favorite view in racing games for a reason. If it had a mirror I would use it instead of using bumper all the time, just make that mirror optional in all views.

I use hood camera almost exclusively, and I say we need the rear view mirror. If Kaz wants the online races to be safe and fair, then the mirror is an absolute necessity. Also, I would like to be able to select different HUDs for each camera view. I don't like the hood camera's tachometer because it doesn't show the full RPM range; only the last portion.

Dan
I use hood camera almost exclusively, and I say we need the rear view mirror. If Kaz wants the online races to be safe and fair, then the mirror is an absolute necessity. Also, I would like to be able to select different HUDs for each camera view. I don't like the hood camera's tachometer because it doesn't show the full RPM range; only the last portion.

Actually if Kaz is interested in "e-sports" racing he should force a proper cockpit view for everybody -with the ability to turn off wheel and adjust the seat position-.

https://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-e3-multiclass-racing-customized-race-suits-another-beta/

GTP: Why is there no rear-view mirror available in the “roof view”?

That's the biggest load of crap I have ever heard. Since when is a view overpowered? If it's that overpowered, why include it in the game?

Almost every racing game ever has a hood cam. We should not be put at a disadvantage for preferences we have had for years...

I have a wheel, and do not have multiple screens so I cannot look around. Being given no rear view mirror makes it worse. Radar helps but the driver must be very close to appear.

In my opinion (whatever thats worth) every view should have the ability to have 3 "mirrors"
Rear view mirror, right side mirror, left side mirror. With toggle on/off for personal preferences.

Without the need to hit a button to "look"
It would make online racing so much better to have awareness of the other cars at all times.
Seems so basic to me.

cleaner online races would come from a rear view mirror for all the camera views and benefit the online racing. If they think one view gives more advantage then just lock the views in those online events and force everyone to use the same view.
If cockpit is at a disadvantage, it can be balanced with more camera adjustments for cockpit. Seat position and FOV would be a huge improvement.

Last edited:
Racing would be cleaner, better, more fun and more realistic if everyone had a rear view mirror, regardless of which view they choose. For me, hood cam is the most like actually driving. I already have a wheel and small dashboard in front of me. All I want or need is the hood of the car for visual reference, and a rear view mirror. Like cars have. Like I see when I look out my windshield in the real world. Just my 2 cents.
And lock the driving aids to a specific preset too.

Back