Recording Gran Turismo 7 Car Sounds: Polyphony Digital Gives Rare Behind-the-Scenes Look

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 63 comments

Jordan

Site Founder
Administrator
United States
United States
GTP_Jordan
GTP_Jordan

Ferrari 488 Challenge Evo incoming!​

Red Card Please GIF by World Cup

All of these pretty words for the sounds to be just okay most of the time compared to other sims. I will give them credit for taking the steps to improve on it though. With less than 10% of cars sounding accurate or even sounding like cars before GTS, I'm surprised about the 1700 recordings part.

Last edited:
All of these pretty words for the sounds to be just okay most of the time compared to other sims. I will give them credit for taking the steps to improve on it though. With less than 10% of cars sounding accurate or even sounding like cars before GTS, I'm surprised about the 1700 recordings part.

Well I kind of have the sense that like with the Forza comparaison. The one about track surroundings and the fact that they seems more empty in GT7 ( for real life tracks compared in both) made by Digital Foundry. Where GT7 lack in track visuals details on some surrounding spots and Forza show more stuff. It looks that GT7 is more focusing on copying reality than wanting to show off.

It have the feeling that it is the same for sound.
Think of it how many time have you heard a specific car in real life to say « well they screwed it in GT7. »
Obviously in the past the issue was raised.
But with the process described in the article , it is doubtful you could screw up everything…

And evermore do you trust a recording made in the settings described in the article to have fidelity or a recorded sound in a youtube video with random mics & equipments ?

When you compare sound from game and reality you have to consider were the microphone is placed and were the hears of the player are positioned.

It would be hard to be placed in a chasing cam fashion for an human being you reckon ?

Really interesting article / video and fascinating to see the lengths they go to. Of course, at the end of the day, the input is greatly affected by the output..... they can come up with the most life-like recordings but if the speaker system at the other end isn't great, the reproduction won't be either.

Last edited:
Think of it how many time have you heard a specific car in real life to say « well they screwed it in GT7. »
But with the process described in the article , it is doubtful you could screw up everything…
It's not about screwing up, it's about PDs in-house audio engine being inefficient and creating an unsatisfying result. I can mix you up something more convincing in Assetto Corsa with FMOD Studio with PDs samples, than whatever happens in GT7s pipeline.

I'm more interested in that 3-series, it'd be handy for recreating VLN.

I was asking myself the other day that PD has the official sounds for car start ups when selected from the garage. But they are not 100 percent when you use them. PD likes to adjust them to be similar but still different. Almost 100 percent but not quite. So why not just do it 100 percent I believe they can. It would add to the immersion even more. Imagine that in VR and the engine is as loud and accurate as the rev sounds in garage.

I wish the Evo X FE had is rev sound when chosen from the garage it doesn’t do it like the others cars. Shame I love that car. Wonder what other cars don’t have an engine rev sound?

Anyways I really hope that Ferrari Evo is officially coming someday soon. Please PD. And PD if you see this I’d love some Aussie cars and Supercars one day for GT8 please Kaz and PD. Please lol.

Imho, many games seem to exaggerate the car sounds, which does make them sound more impressive but not necessarily more realistic. The tire sound in GT on the other hand, is impressive, you can hear the difference in tire load.
Oh yeah it’s so good.

No doubt that PD LOVE cars. Detail is their calling card. My son in law used to race and his car is in the game. He swears that car is 100% accurate, inside and out.

This is impressive and makes me feel connected to PD but for some reason it doesn't come across in the game.

The sound in game is poor. Many cars sound similar.

Well I kind of have the sense that like with the Forza comparaison. The one about track surroundings and the fact that they seems more empty in GT7 ( for real life tracks compared in both) made by Digital Foundry. Where GT7 lack in track visuals details on some surrounding spots and Forza show more stuff. It looks that GT7 is more focusing on copying reality than wanting to show off.

And evermore do you trust a recording made in the settings described in the article to have fidelity or a recorded sound in a youtube video with random mics & equipments ?

When you compare sound from game and reality you have to consider were the microphone is placed and were the hears of the player are positioned.

It would be hard to be placed in a chasing cam fashion for an human being you reckon ?

It's interesting that they seem to record the cars with their hoods open. Wouldn't keeping the hood shut be more likely to capture the sound you'd normally hear while driving it?

I agree with you. In general, people makes confusion between real and cool. Rain visual effects like Forza, Grid, etc are always told as much better than GT, but isn't so real as GT is. You can't drive fast in a track with that level of rain.
The sound is the same. You can realize that GT has different sound depending on the view/position camera you are using. That is explained in this photos they showed. You can't blame about lack of equipment to record the sounds. You can notice in GT7 mainly is, every single sound from intake, exhaust, gear, turbo, turbo spool, etc. are there, which translate as realism. If the sound isn't loud enough, is another thing to blame.

You can notice in GT7 mainly is, every single sound from intake, exhaust, gear, turbo, turbo spool, etc. are there, which translate as realism. If the sound isn't loud enough, is another thing to blame.
To me in general - Exhaust explosions, cracks and pops kinda sound like canned sound effects. When/If i pay attention to them; i feel like i'm hearing the very same note.

Having met Mike in person 2 years ago and talked audio production+GT with him, it’s really cool to see how the studio handles it worldwide. Mike told me he’d be getting flown all over the country (though usually to California) to source cars and audio, and they’d basically rent a garage/hub dyno for a day to capture the particular vehicle, sometimes a track if said dyno wasn’t an option or good fit. I’m betting they have a head in Europe and Japan that does similar things, though in Japan they’d probably just have the vehicles come in to their studio.

Also from our discussion that 488 clip could be just about anything. They’d take samples from stock and modified cars for authentic sounds for the exhaust/intake/turbo sounds. There’s a fair amount of leeway from the starting sample - apparently the MR2 they captured got a lot of mileage in GT7. That 488 recording could be for a modded 488 road car, or it could be an “upbadge” for a GT3/GTE, or a different model entirely, we won’t really know till we get something in game.

PD actually have a lot of friends, the studio is just extremely secretive about their processes (even when they’re industry standard), so they end up selecting cars for audio on a convenience basis from people they trust. I hope Mike is still with the company, there was a rumor a year or so ago he parted ways. I could have a reason to pester him about some audio equipment related subjects in the next 6 months, maybe I’ll learn something about GT in the process like I did last time.

Its a shame, this is what T10 used to do for Forza Motorsport but now its like they let AI pick random sounds for them and auto-inputs them into the game. With how T10 is right now they dont even double check until we the players start blowing up their feedback and bug report lines. But good for PD im glad they have better car sounds this generation of GT.

Sound guy here. This is extremely interesting to me and showcases Polyphony’s process oriented engineering solutions. Being able to correlate sounds in game with sounds actually recorded, in an environment you control, is super valuable.

It's interesting that they seem to record the cars with their hoods open. Wouldn't keeping the hood shut be more likely to capture the sound you'd normally hear while driving it?

I see where your mind is going but I can also see benefits from having the hood open. You’d get a much better recording from the car, and less from room resonances and ambient noise, noise from other parts of the car like exhaust, etc. Then if you wanted to you could close the hood and record again to find the frequency response changes from hood up vs hood down, which could help you further isolate the sounds you’re actually trying to record. I would imagine having both sets of data could be valuable. If you really wanted to, you could try to simulate different hood materials and how they affect sound coming out of the engine bay, or approximate what an engine swap could sound like, using data collected from other cars.

Last edited:
All of these pretty words for the sounds to be just okay most of the time compared to other sims.
Sound is often relative but this next post nails it.
Of course, at the end of the day, the input is greatly affected by the output..... they can come up with the most life-like recordings but if the speaker system at the other end isn't great, the reproduction won't be either.
THIS.

I used to do sound back in the '80s and this is totally true. I could have a wonderful recording of Chuck Mangione on a Thorn turntable . . . but if I'm playing it through a set of Radio Shack speakers it's not going to hold up in comparison to a set of McIntosh XTR23s. #OldSoundNerd

For me the sound (what I can compare from limited experiences) is spot on . . but I have to make sure my ear buds for the VR headset are in correctly. It makes a gigantic difference.

This article is awesome. Thank you GT Planet.

Is this a hint Polyphony is adding another out-of-production car?
They need more out-of-production cars, because those are the cars more difficult to experience in real life. Many interesting cars from the 80s and 90s in particular hardly exist in the US anymore because they've all rusted into dust or been stacked in junk yards. They're more difficult to experience than the newest race cars because video content wasn't created with them as readily as it is today.

If you're talking about race cars specifically then yeah I agree I'm not keen on old race cars, especially in this new era of LMH/GTP and GT3.
Really interesting article / video and fascinating to see the lengths they go to. Of course, at the end of the day, the input is greatly affected by the output..... they can come up with the most life-like recordings but if the speaker system at the other end isn't great, the reproduction won't be either.
This helps put into perspective the complaints from fans about sound. I personally don't care, as long as PD is tuning the different output settings for how their players actually listen to the game. I've been listening on TV speakers since I was a kid and not much has changed in 20+ years so as far as I can tell the sound we're getting now is about as accurate as I could ask for.

Also from our discussion that 488 clip could be just about anything. They’d take samples from stock and modified cars for authentic sounds for the exhaust/intake/turbo sounds. There’s a fair amount of leeway from the starting sample - apparently the MR2 they captured got a lot of mileage in GT7. That 488 recording could be for a modded 488 road car, or it could be an “upbadge” for a GT3/GTE, or a different model entirely, we won’t really know till we get something in game.
IIRC they used a tuned RX-7 as a recording source for 787B's engine sound.

Back