Recording Gran Turismo 7 Car Sounds: Polyphony Digital Gives Rare Behind-the-Scenes Look

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 63 comments
I've seen you mention intake a lot over the years. I guess that sound is an airy whoosh sound from what I've gathered?
That's part of it, but no all the meatiness of an onboard sound comes from the intake, for example. I think it surprises a lot of people.

There's a shot in the presentation of an airbox lid prised up and a microphone placed near the temporary opening created.

The trouble is that recently in GT games that component has been mixed into the exhaust sound. Which is wrong for a few reasons.

omg, Turn that ShopVac© in the corner or the room OFF!

imagine if that's what it was all this time?!

Last edited:
Saw the muffler off of a car, take it out to the parking lot, and wind it up as far as it will go in first gear. Just tear around wide open for a while. That will tell you more about what the in-cockpit sound experience of a race car driver is like than a platoon of sound engineers with a lot of gadgets can.

I just want the cockpit experience of race car sound in GT7 to be more like the real thing than it is now.

GT7 is a gorgeous looking game and the cars are very drivable. But the engine exhaust sounds while racing are too soft and tame.

Race car engines, even dinky little 4 cylinder ones, make harsh, outrageous noise when local noise laws don't force racers to stifle half of the fun of racing.

Game developers can make their own laws in the universes they create. No noise abatement laws needed in racing games.

Back