Recording Gran Turismo 7 Car Sounds: Polyphony Digital Gives Rare Behind-the-Scenes Look

• Thread starter Jordan
  • 63 comments
I can't speak for a lot of the cars in the game, but I own an RX8 R3 (practically identical to the Spirit R) and my friend owns an S2000.

Both stock and with a tuned exhaust PD have nailed them and this explains how.

(Damned rev limit beep in the RX8 not withstanding!)

Most of the cars in GT7 (and all GT series before it) sound like what you hear from an in-car feed on a televised race. Weak. Bad mikes, lame tv speakers, etc.

Anybody here ever sat in a real car in real life that was tuned and set up to RACE?

It is EAR SHATTERING! Except when you have a race track in a place where the local little old ladies have forced local government to impose noise rules. In a sim, there are NO LITTLE OLD LADIES. You could make it REAL!

Racing is wildly noisy! That is part of the charm of it. It is harsh and overwhelming in the cockpit. And IN THE COCKPIT is what a sim is supposed to be simulating!

I would love it if Polyphony Digital would DO it.

In Gran Turismo, only a few of the American V-8 racing engines sound real. And even they sound like sporty street rods, not real race cars, even when the cars are supposed to be race cars.

Come on Polyphony Digital, give us blasting noise to go with your magnificent, unequaied physics and graphics. Gran Turismo is the best looking game in the world and the cars drive so wonderfully! The SOUND is the one missing ingredient that would make it sim-racing perfection.

Ok that is my point, comparing the sound you hear as a spectator in a racing circuit vs the sound you experience inside a car
Or even the sound you would theoretically hear if your head would be chasing the car at a fixed distance.
Although I agree that in replay when the camera is sticking to certain spot it rarely seems loud enough to what you could feel in real life.
But clearly you cannot have a sound staging to reflect « track day ambiance » while being behind the wheel driving. It is not like that.
It is the question of emulating real conditions vs enhancing it to have more appeal.

I don’t try to convince anyone over this but rather to show that you cannot have both directions at the same time.

Thank you for the article.
Most of the cars in GT7 (and all GT series before it) sound like what you hear from an in-car feed on a televised race. Weak. Bad mikes, lame tv speakers, etc.

Anybody here ever sat in a real car in real life that was tuned and set up to RACE?

It is EAR SHATTERING! Except when you have a race track in a place where the local little old ladies have forced local government to impose noise rules. In a sim, there are NO LITTLE OLD LADIES. You could make it REAL!

Racing is wildly noisy! That is part of the charm of it. It is harsh and overwhelming in the cockpit. And IN THE COCKPIT is what a sim is supposed to be simulating!

I would love it if Polyphony Digital would DO it.

In Gran Turismo, only a few of the American V-8 racing engines sound real. And even they sound like sporty street rods, not real race cars, even when the cars are supposed to be race cars.

Come on Polyphony Digital, give us blasting noise to go with your magnificent, unequaied physics and graphics. Gran Turismo is the best looking game in the world and the cars drive so wonderfully! The SOUND is the one missing ingredient that would make it sim-racing perfection.
That’s where Project Cars 2 keeps me awake. Many of the classic high powered race cars sound scary. The Group 5 cars sound very violent in that game. The only car in Gran Turismo 7 that comes close to that OMG feeling is the 787B.

Absolutely no doubt Gran Turismo sounds are better than previous games. I’m enjoying the cars I love. I can agree about the speakers point. Cars sound better in my PSVR earphones than my soundbar. I still feel the roughness of the engines can be translated a bit better now knowing PD have all the information to replicate the cars.

Most of the time thats just the case if you use sound mods, but yes its possible to get really good sounding cars with mods
most of those sound mods use sounds from race videos or some better use actual recordings

but by default Assetto Corsa doesn't sound better not even close without mods , ACC is much better in that aspect

Last edited:
snc
Great trolling by pd, we waited so long for 488 that we (probably) get it when its already obsoleted by 296 ;d
Better late than later!

Can we adjust the EQ settings in gt7 in any way? And can we make the engine sound better by adjusting it?

Last edited:
The only thing I'm interested in is whether the cars actually sound better than 2023's Forza, cos Forza sounds are at an all-time low it seems.

Is PD doing those better with GT7? Honest and unbiased opinions please from pure car fanatics :)

snc
Great trolling by pd, we waited so long for 488 that we (probably) get it when its already obsoleted by 296 ;d
You do realize getting the real 296 race car is a complex issue , this is not like other games when they create the car from scratch from photos , yeah you can create really nice models but scan is 1:1 with the real thing that requires like 3 times the work :dopey:

honestly i would be fine with 488 of any kind
The only thing I'm interested in is whether the cars actually sound better than 2023's Forza, cos Forza sounds are at an all-time low it seems.
it's very mixed in FM23 some cars sound better but most of those cars sound wrong or just bad imho

Last edited:
Less hall, more bangs and crackle and the sound would be much better. I can recognize a Gran Turismo replay with closed eyes bacuae there is so much hall.

I think they are talking about the engine sound when you take a new car in your garage and start the engine. Ok , this is a fantastic genuine sound.
On track this a total different sound. Just "ok" and weaker than most of the rivals racing games.
In the garage take the Mazda Atenza Gr3, then take the Alfa Romeo 4C… It would be interesting ^^

I think they are talking about the engine sound when you take a new car in your garage and start the engine. Ok , this is a fantastic genuine sound.
On track this a total different sound. Just "ok" and weaker than most of the rivals racing games.
Only a few is better soundwise in my opinion, its pretty much on par with fh5 they just have their strengths on different cars, problem with gt7 is that some of the sounds specially in chasecam can be a bit to muted, its still ahead of fm, as accurate car sounds goes, considering how much improvment gt7 is soundwise campared to gt6 that could keep evolving into gt8 as well,

And the Ford GT 06 road car sound like a lawnmower in this game. I was reminded of this as I used it in this week's challenge race. Sounds nothing like it does in real life, which is a shame as it sounds insane (as one would expect from a big ol V8). I am just convinced that PD hate American cars...

It's definitely interesting to see their workflow. I'll be picking over the slides when I get chance, it's very validating and inspiring to see them use techniques that others don't.

I've been making AES presets for years now, so it's nice to see they basically use Max / MSP. Mainly because most of my synthesis protoypes are in PureData :D

The meaning of many of the settings are there for all to see now, too. Well apart from the main pulse shaping section, which seems to be the hardest to understand and use. That might be why AES still isn't fully utilised in the game.

I still wonder why there's no dedicated intake source! AES does intake sounds just fine and the filter setup they have allows for a lot of expression. That's just in GT6.

I've been disappointed by what I perceived as a backward step in the mixing though since the PS3 games. Not heard GT7 on PS5 natively, but it broadly has the same choices in its approach.

Thank you for the article.

That’s where Project Cars 2 keeps me awake. Many of the classic high powered race cars sound scary. The Group 5 cars sound very violent in that game. The only car in Gran Turismo 7 that comes close to that OMG feeling is the 787B.

Absolutely no doubt Gran Turismo sounds are better than previous games. I’m enjoying the cars I love. I can agree about the speakers point. Cars sound better in my PSVR earphones than my soundbar. I still feel the roughness of the engines can be translated a bit better now knowing PD have all the information to replicate the cars.
The Project CARS series use "Soundwave" sounds, similar to that of Shift 2: Unleashed, TDU2 and the Asphalt series.

It's definitely interesting to see their workflow. I'll be picking over the slides when I get chance, it's very validating and inspiring to see them use techniques that others don't.

I've been making AES presets for years now, so it's nice to see they basically use Max / MSP. Mainly because most of my synthesis protoypes are in PureData :D

The meaning of many of the settings are there for all to see now, too. Well apart from the main pulse shaping section, which seems to be the hardest to understand and use. That might be why AES still isn't fully utilised in the game.

I still wonder why there's no dedicated intake source! AES does intake sounds just fine and the filter setup they have allows for a lot of expression. That's just in GT6.

I've been disappointed by what I perceived as a backward step in the mixing though since the PS3 games. Not heard GT7 on PS5 natively, but it broadly has the same choices in its approach.
I've seen you mention intake a lot over the years. I guess that sound is an airy whoosh sound from what I've gathered?

Latest Posts

Back