Red Bull Ring, Volkswagen Scirroco GT24...

• Thread starter wedjim
  • 201 comments
That is what's happening most likely. Cars we don't see are on the track, it's rare, but it's happened to me more than once. Suddenly careening off the track at twice the speed of sound, controller going crazy buzzing in my hand.

But there are also a TON of dirty drivers who NEVER use the racing line, block any passing attempts, or worse, let you get about 50% past them and bump you off the track. Even some clean racers can hit you by mistake. To me bumping a bit and contact is going to happen. After all this FF VW slides a bit...But you can tell when it's not incidental bumping.

Had a few good races in the 4:42 range and had a few nasty ones, with the same 6 or 7 racers. Even got a nasty brake check cresting the hill before the turns leading to the main straight away, 6 second penalty on lap two. I still caught back up and beat him, rofl. He left the room after, which was the only smart thing he did. :)

Btw...The stock yard was so simple, should have worked on in two minutes before thinking I was done at 500 cars. Now gaining credits is fun since I can buy all the cheaper cars and I'm going to attempt owning every car in the game. Gotta have goals, right?
Just a heads up about the stockyard. When you send a car to the stockyard, the check mark in the dealership is removed. Then it looks like you do not own the car. Make a list of the cars you send to the stockyard so that you will not buy it again by mistake.I have a simple database of the cars on my computer. This really comes in handy when you are attempting to buy every car in the game.

I'm so new to the online stuff that this truly is new to me. I had no idea what to expect other than what I have read here and the GT official site over the years. I don't ever remember reading anything about it being this bad. I was sent flying what had to be over a quarter mile today and the only reason it was stopped was due to the catch fence. Does this have anything to do with the PS4 becoming more and more mainstream? When I hit someone they had it coming big time and I want them to know I hit them. More often than not I go out of my way to avoid contact, I won't dive up the inside if I risk taking out the guy/gal that had a right to the apex. I certainly will admit to a mistake or a clumbsy manouver but when things like today happen all I can say is damn was it bad. By far my worst experience ever. Came up with a new rule for myself though and that is if I don't have something nice to say I'll keep my yap shut. I tend to thank people for a great and clean race. I can tell you this, if I'm behind you I will try and pass. I just won't knock you out or off the track to do it. I want people to be willing to race with me. I have a long list of people that can and do race clean. Unfortunately the list of dirty drivers is much much longer. Can you move cars in and out of the stockyard?

I report people who brake check me on a straightaway. I tend to brake early-ish to set my car for acceleration out of the corner, but nothing too crazy...so I step off the gas if I am following someone and need to slow. I err on the side of overrunning the corners when I am in the lead; I really hate the drafting/bumping penalty.

Just getting to stockyard status myself...thanks for the discussion!

I report people who brake check me on a straightaway. I tend to brake early-ish to set my car for acceleration out of the corner, but nothing too crazy...so I step off the gas if I am following someone and need to slow. I err on the side of overrunning the corners when I am in the lead; I really hate the drafting/bumping penalty.

Just getting to stockyard status myself...thanks for the discussion!
The only people I have reported were driving the wrong way for the fun of throwing people off their game. I have been brake checked twice and one of those when asked said it was a glitch as he doesn't brake check. As that one happened yesterday I tend to believe him.
Do you know if it does any good to report people? I was talking to a friend and they suggested that it is a game. Yet it's called a Sim, The Real Driving Sim so I suggest that things like driving the wrong way should get one banned for a significant time for 1st time and if a 2nd one happens an outright lifetime ban for online. Opinion?

I wouldn't worry about it so much, QM is as QM does really.

As you've said in an earlier post, you have discovered one of the golden rules of online (or at least the anonymous matchmaking crapshoot that is QM) racing is to keep your trap shut if you haven't anything nice to say.

Dominating the room for several races as the bashers start to disappear is the best recourse and so much more satisfying.

I did forget my own advice several weeks ago though. I had many amusing insults in my chat box, in various languages that I would dish out at the lights (enough time for them to look). It certainly put them off their game, but I felt bad about it so stopped.

The best advice is to do your talking on the track, you're never going to meet these people, if you see them in a room again you know what to expect. What is nice is seeing a good driver turn up, you know if you both get through the pack it's going to be a hard but fair challenge.

I wouldn't bother reporting mate.

I've never reported anyone. I think making that call is up to each person. I've been brake checked by several racers, maybe 6 or 7 different ones. I've also had a half dozen driving backwards as recently as last night. Still others just park in the straight and I can see them moving around while I'm racing, so they are connected it seems? The anonymity of the Internet makes people behave like bully's, even good people sometimes lose their way, it's contagious. To me it's not a life altering event, it's for fun and some competition when it's the right people.
I'm so bored of this QM now, the competition I get occasionally and packing the garage are the only reason I attend at all.

Still wondering what event is "coming soon," for two months?

The only people I have reported were driving the wrong way for the fun of throwing people off their game. I have been brake checked twice and one of those when asked said it was a glitch as he doesn't brake check. As that one happened yesterday I tend to believe him.
Do you know if it does any good to report people? I was talking to a friend and they suggested that it is a game. Yet it's called a Sim, The Real Driving Sim so I suggest that things like driving the wrong way should get one banned for a significant time for 1st time and if a 2nd one happens an outright lifetime ban for online. Opinion?

I'm talking about people who brake check in the middle of straightaways and do it over consecutive races...or people that intentionally crash you repeatedly. I can understand accidents from time to time...but when someone brake checks you, you catch up and almost complete the pass and they send you in the sand...then brake check you when you come up again...feel that is worthy of a report. If someone is actually trying and just sucks...that's one thing; going out of your way to be a douche should be punished.

I'm talking about people who brake check in the middle of straightaways and do it over consecutive races...or people that intentionally crash you repeatedly. I can understand accidents from time to time...but when someone brake checks you, you catch up and almost complete the pass and they send you in the sand...then brake check you when you come up again...feel that is worthy of a report. If someone is actually trying and just sucks...that's one thing; going out of your way to be a douche should be punished.

Agree on all counts. The one and only time I have ever brake checked anyone was a dude that got me twice in one race. The next race I nailed him and then sent him a message asking how he liked it, he called me a few choice names so I reminded him he started it. After that I never had a problem with him. Guess he figured as I was faster he was going to spend far more time behind me that the other way around. I have followed you through corners very closely bewildebeast and you are very consistant in your braking and exhileration. I really enjoy racing you as you race clean and fair. My kind of racer. Do you make money by racing in private rooms?
By the way it is not my place to question why anyone would report someone. I hope those that are reported are watched and reprimanded for their behavior but somehow I doubt anything happens.

I wish they would make one new rule. If you run off the track you have to re-enter tha track at the same location you left it. Man would that stop the nonsense.

Wedjim,
Good racing tonight. I saw your name in the list and figured that you would be creaming me with 1:31 times. I tried to keep it clean on our last race but ran a little wide on T1 lap 2. Then you passed me when I screwed up T3. I did get to follow you around the track and hopefully learn something. By the way, you really didn't need to let me win at the end, but thanks.

Wedjim,
Good racing tonight. I saw your name in the list and figured that you would be creaming me with 1:31 times. I tried to keep it clean on our last race but ran a little wide on T1 lap 2. Then you passed me when I screwed up T3. I did get to follow you around the track and hopefully learn something. By the way, you really didn't need to let me win at the end, but thanks.

Was your car the black one? Some good racing. I was getting a bit of the chrome horn treatment, but banging around with everyone for about 10 races. I only got a few 1:31's, mostly low 1:32's.
One guy waited for me, I thought maybe I hit him at the start, but I started from P1? Turns out he wanted to race as if he got a good start? ...Brake checked me when I tried to pass him on the front straight on lap 3 after he went off in the grass a bit by mistake. I made the mistake of drafting him thinking it would better my time, uh. No.

No problem letting you by, my credits were maxed out, rather see someone get them since I wouldn't! :)

Was your car the black one?

On my screen it is a dark metallic green. My first race was your second to last race. You started in the pole position (I started 10th). The best I could do on that one was 6th since I ran into a stopped car at the start (bad reaction on my part). I am still trying to get below a 1:32.

I raced with quite a few dark cars @lasrjock so all I remember is black, lol. Where I found a half second or so is when your not in the heat of battle and can drive the racing line with minimal sliding. I also downshift a gear below what I use thru the turn so I can turn in a bit later, up shifting right away after setting the car in the turn. See if that helps you out?

Last night had a bunch of good races with mustangmagic69 and a few other guys. Man it's fun when that many guys want to race clean and hard!

Nurburgring....Without the ability to tune? Boo.

What's all this then? Kinda piqued my interest ;)
Nurgurgring QM touring car, but you borrow their car, no tuning. Nurburgring seasonal with 630pp 2wd race car.

In the seasonal two wheels off, 8 minute lap doesn't count, bump a barrier, lap doesn't count. Got gold with a 12 second cushion, but it took 40 minutes to get a clean lap. I used a Puegot 670+ pp car, detuned with a TON of downforce and cruised around pretty slow trying not to go off course.

You'll probably smoke it, lol.

Anyone ever seen a car fly? It actually looks like it was picked up and moved but that still qualifies as flying. Had it happen three times in one race today right in front of me and it shows up in the replay.

@Whalengt I have seen where several cars will glitch in front and behind me, sliding off into the sand, then suddenly back on the track when I thought I had passed them. One racer I hit when he vanished but was really still there, I looked back and he was in the sand. Tuff explaining that, but he said he has seen it and no problem.

Crazy.

When I first started doing the QM lobbies I took it personally when I got booted, sideswiped, muscled into the grass, etc. I found I suck at ramming & bashing so I gritted my teeth and set out to learn how to avoid being the victim and drive cleaner.
  • Brake checkers are usually easy to avoid as their act of setting you up alerts you.
  • Side bashers can be dealt with by a down & up shift never letting off as this usually ghosts the car. That leads to the offender bashing into nothing and finding the grass/sand themselves.
  • Rear rammers usually assist me in going faster though wider than planned. They often suffer the ensuing penalty.
  • PIT maneuvers are not that common on this track for some reason though the esses can lead to that happening usually accidental I find. I try to stay inside and give room on exit if they try to cut to the apex denying me space they usually will fall victim vs me. While squaring the entrance can improve ones time it cedes the racing line to the follower holding that line.
  • The light door touch is the most difficult situation I find at RBR This is again usually accidental though some smooth operators seem to repeat in this incident type. The penalty is usually 3 sec. so I just tend to accept it and move on.
My hide has gotten much tougher these past months but I can still get too involved. That is when I need to take a chill pill. After all it is just a game & life is just plain too short.

All great advice SCClockDr' and I am more than happy to learn from your lessons. For me this has been one huge learning experience. Been racing a long time but always with a select group of friends and we treat it as close to real as we possibly can.
One of the things I have noticed the last few days is that more and more are realizing that the fastest way around the track is by being clean. No side bashing or rearending but just clean laps. I am so looking forward to the Oculous as the situational awareness is supposed to be so much better. We shall see I guess.
Had fun running with you today hope for more of the same in the future.

Ran a new personal best with a tweaked tune based on my original tune. 4:40.21x and a best lap of 1:30.90x! Didn't feel that fast, but I think that's why it was. Had a couple little bobbles that cost me a 4:39, but still could happen.

My green car is fastest even with the same tune on other cars. 800 miles on it now may be a factor. I did rigidity improvement 100 miles ago.

Had a heck of a time racing with sensyledi or something like that? Red and yellow flag... Brutal. Watch out for him.

Time for new ones, Nurburgring = Booo!!!

I have not had much time to play the game and I have been doing all the seasonal events and GT Academy on all four of my accounts. Last week I was able to run a few races. Most of the fields were small and with only a couple of people that were competitive. I did set a couple of personal best times:
Best first lap: 1:36.804
Best race: 4:37.738
I have come close to improving my best lap but it has remained at 1:29.823

Back