Red Bull Ring, Volkswagen Scirroco GT24...

• Thread starter wedjim
  • 201 comments
It's been tuff the past couple nights to get clean laps. I seem to start at the 9-13 spot, regardless of car counts...even in a 6 car field, lol. Then it seems when I turn in at the start I bump someone and get the dreaded 5 second penalty, or someone bumps me and I get the dreaded 5 second penalty. My races varied from one clean run, 4:41.03x to DNF's when deciding to save my car after two sand trap trips trying to pass slower cars. Bump, bump, bump....sand.

About ready for a new challenge, this one has just about run its course for me.

Anyone have an idea when the last "coming soon" quick match goes live? The Renault Trophy is a likeable car but I hate Nurburgring GP/F with a passion so waited for the replacement. The Red Bull Ring came up which is a great track but they opted for a FF car and with RS tyres yet again. I can just about cope with RS but front wheel drive...:yuck:

A no concept/prototype 4/5 lap race of Midfield Raceway on sports tyres sounds about right. No corners to cut and a nice wide track.

The most annoying thing about the short cutters and people like in your video for me is that a lot of the other drivers see the advantage gained and start copying. In the space of 2 or 3 races, you go from fair racing to a redesigned Red Bull Ring. In two almost full grids, 2 or 3 stuck to the track limits.

Yup, been there done that. I have gone wide quite a few times myself, mostly when I needed to avoid getting rear ended, which somehow usually penalizes me? Sometimes when I get pushed wide and sometimes when I'm tired of watching others doing it and beating me.
The only place I find it's faster using the penalty free off track zones is turn one really though. But it is easier to get around without "driving well," or having your car well tuned at all three of the major infraction locations, 1, 2 and the final turns.

What's even more fun is when they use the "advanced level" version of the track, come back on and bang into you, giving you a penalty. Love that!

Sarcasm is my specialty.

It's been tuff the past couple nights to get clean laps. I seem to start at the 9-13 spot, regardless of car counts...even in a 6 car field, lol. Then it seems when I turn in at the start I bump someone and get the dreaded 5 second penalty, or someone bumps me and I get the dreaded 5 second penalty. My races varied from one clean run, 4:41.03x to DNF's when deciding to save my car after two sand trap trips trying to pass slower cars. Bump, bump, bump....sand.

About ready for a new challenge, this one has just about run its course for me.

I had the same problems last night. I did a few races and started in 13th to 16th grid position with 10 or less players.
One player hit the brakes way before the turns and another player did not seem to use the brakes. I got penalties for hitting one and getting hit by the other!
I started 3 races in a row from 13th place with a 7 car field. The last race I took it real easy the first lap to avoid penalties and was on the rear bumper of the leader at the last turn of lap 2. He went wide and I stayed on the track.His car suddenly vanished and then I noticed everyone else missing from the leader board! I finished the race as the winner and was never disconnected. This is just another glitch to add to the list.

My setup

Best lap time 1:30.659 Best Race time 4:39.227 (both online during a race)

Many thanks to SCClockDr for the Power setup

411BHP, 1130kgs, 514PP.

Power:
High RPM Turbo
Racing Exhaust
Catalytic Converter
Limiter 83.8%

Suspension:
60 / 60
12.18 / 14.04
4 / 5
5 / 6
5 / 5
0.00 / 0.00
Standard toe

Brakes:
5 / 7

Differential:
10 / 40 / 14

Downforce:
150 / 50
10Kgs -40

Gearing:

I kept it like it was before the bug fix

240Km/h

1 2.935
2 2.064
3 1.546
4 1.218
5 1.014
6 0.849

Final 4.062

Cheers!

Thanks for posting your tune. I raced against you last weekend (I was johnbone1) and witnessed you doing a couple of 4:39 race times compared to my 4:41 times.
I was finally able to try your tune during the middle of the week and did a few 1:30 laps and low 4:40 races which is what I have done with @wedjim tune. I was hoping for that elusive 4:39 race.
I just finished doing about 15 or so races this afternoon.I was still running about the same lap and race times.Out of nowhere, I ran the following 5 straight races:
Start 4th: 1:38.630, 1:30.446, 1:30.500, 4:39.576
Start 6th: 1:38.666, 1:29.823, 1:31.316, 4:39.805
Start 2nd: 1:37.634, 1:30.623, 1:31.441, 4:39.698
Start 2nd: 1:37.449, 1:31.342, 1:30.519, 4:39.310
and then,
Start 2nd: 1:37.285, 1:30.674, 1:30.991, 4:38.950
The times in bold are my personal best 1st lap, fastest lap and total race times.
I attribute these great races to a solid server connection which I feel increased the track grip.
Thanks again for everyone sharing their tunes.

IMO the only cut that actually reduces lap time is at T1, its possible to gain the time lost back over the rest of the lap! The lost time is worse if you are attempting an over take up the inside, there is no point even trying to pass here if you know the other guy is going to run wide :(

I have developed a bad habit of running wide at the second to last corner, but my best laps are run by putting just two wheels onto the curb there! Must use the brakes earlier!

You can see in the video @daan posted that he pulls back a load of time by staying on track at the last corner...

Gamers are like sheep, they follow what everyone else is doing ;) Despite it being slower...

Last edited:
IMO the only cut that actually reduces lap time is at T1, its possible to gain the time lost back over the rest of the lap! .

I agree that, tuning wide T1 reduces some lap time, the rest wider than track is loosing.

Last edited:
This track let people to run wide, it is Pd settings
I have a knife in my kitchen, yet I don't go around stabbing people. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The main idea of racing is to try to stay on the black/grey bit and go as fast as you can.

Totally agree! It's not a problem with the track but the people racing on it.

But this has been the case for as long as I can remember and not just in GT. The developers need to do something to change people's attitudes, that means penalties which are very very difficult to balance!

Getting shoved of the track by another driver and getting 5 seconds for track limits would suck big time, much like getting shunted from the rear and getting a collision penalty, I've had that happen at T3 and it cost me the race :mad:

Maybe rewards for good sportsmanship would be a better solution?

I have a knife in my kitchen, yet I don't go around stabbing people. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

The main idea of racing is to try to stay on the black/grey bit and go as fast as you can.

I agree, but you could use it defending yourself, right? It is a metaphor but people in some way fighting on the track... :) I've gone too far... :lol:

Seriously, if you watch F1 racing sometimes drivers run wide crossing the track limits (while racing, not by mistake), they got drive through or other penalty by judges. Believe me, if there was no penalty for that they would race like this all the time. Here PD is the judge, so if there is no penalty or if you like = you can run.

I am not a fan of shortcuts at all (as in Megane QM some of people ran last chicane on right on the grass), but I admit, sometimes I am running wide on RedBull in T1.

PD should weaken the engine or handling of those car purposely ran wide few seconds without displaying 'penalties' on the screen ! They will become gentleman for sure after few 'mistakes'. :banghead: Haha..

Totally agree! It's not a problem with the track but the people racing on it.

But this has been the case for as long as I can remember and not just in GT. The developers need to do something to change people's attitudes, that means penalties which are very very difficult to balance!

Getting shoved of the track by another driver and getting 5 seconds for track limits would suck big time, much like getting shunted from the rear and getting a collision penalty, I've had that happen at T3 and it cost me the race :mad:

Maybe rewards for good sportsmanship would be a better solution?

This is getting weird. My buddy and I both play the online but today we were in the same room. Two different systems on two tv's and it got weird. Though we were both in the same room and there were 6 of us in total. I could see all 6 yet Crashboy18 could only see 3 of them. We tried an experiment in the warmup session. If I bumped him his car moved on my system but on his he felt nothing. When he bumped me I felt it but he did not. I finished first in the race yet on his screen I was still not there. Is it possible that it may flip\flop and you could be hit by someone that doesn't see you. It looks like they are running multiple races over lapping. My buddy could hit me and knock me off the track but that's not his fault if he can't see me.

As for the short cutting. I figure I run my race to the best of my abilities and let others do the same. I wish they would get rid of non expert racers but thats's not in our control. They could fix it if they wanted too.

PS: the room was the QM VW at Redbullring

Last edited:
I find that going into T1 at the beginning it is best just to get through it as smooth and quickly as possible...whether you run wide or not. I personally prefer starting at the back and taking the normal track line...you gain quite a few positions between ghosts and people who have been penalized. I run wide when taking my normal line will get me punted at turn 2. The final horseshoe is best attacked on track...pick up good time there by doing that.

Saw WhelanGT in the room last night...good racing!

It's officially no fun anyMore. Maxed out on cars and credits, winning by 6-12 seconds...unless Graveltrap or one of you other hot shoes shows up.

Speaking of which, felt like a I was doing ok with the Nissan then I see a @graveltrap is 3.18 seconds ahead. Geez. lol

Sounds like you have reached the stage where starting dead last and seeing how many places can be made up is more fun than winning ;)

These events need to be turned around more quickly, 2/3 weeks is plenty of time at one track...

It's officially no fun anyMore. Maxed out on cars and credits, winning by 6-12 seconds...unless Graveltrap or one of you other hot shoes shows up.

Speaking of which, felt like a I was doing ok with the Nissan then I see a @graveltrap is 3.18 seconds ahead. Geez. lol
What do you mean by "maxed out on cars"?
I think it was Wednesday evening I did around 15 races and all the fields were slow. I think a 4:45 to 4:47 race time would have won the majority of the races. I saw your name come up on the members list and figured I would have some competition. However, when the race grid appeared, your name had vanished.
Last night I set 2 new personal best times:
First lap - 1:36.804
Race time - 4:38.752
Thanks again to @dimpai for the great setup.

Last edited:
I think it was Wednesday evening I did around 15 races and all the fields were slow. I think a 4:45 to 4:47 race time would have won the majority of the races. I saw your name come up on the members list and figured I would have some competition. However, when the race grid appeared, your name had vanished.
First lap - 1:36.886

I have the max cars the game allows, 500 and 50 million credits...some sketchy cars headed to the scrap yard and buying doubles of 2million and up cars.

I was winning races with 4:42's on decent starts and 4:46's on the sloppier ones. Those times were 6+ seconds ahead of second most of the time. I was letting racers by who raced me clean on the last straight since I was maxed out...but not the dirty drivers. lol

I've been trying wacky set ups to see if I might stumble onto something. But the only thing that really seems to change is the amount of sliding, how loose the rear feels mid turn and how easy it is to be spun out.
Haven't improved any of my times, even trying @dimpai set up.

I'll give it a go again tonight and see if the connection is an issue, or I'm just not able to drive any faster.

I have the max cars the game allows, 500 and 50 million credits...some sketchy cars headed to the scrap yard and buying doubles of 2million and up cars.

I was winning races with 4:42's on decent starts and 4:46's on the sloppier ones. Those times were 6+ seconds ahead of second most of the time. I was letting racers by who raced me clean on the last straight since I was maxed out...but not the dirty drivers. lol

I've been trying wacky set ups to see if I might stumble onto something. But the only thing that really seems to change is the amount of sliding, how loose the rear feels mid turn and how easy it is to be spun out.
Haven't improved any of my times, even trying @dimpai set up.

I'll give it a go again tonight and see if the connection is an issue, or I'm just not able to drive any faster.
The garage limit is 500 cars. Then you have to start using the stockyard to store the rest of your cars. I have 1582 total cars on my main account. I have to buy a few cars each week to use up credits before I do the seasonal events and GT Academy on that account. I have been doing the QM races on my 3 other accounts. Each of those accounts have over 500 cars.

I put about 30 in the stockyard but never took the time too see how to access them after. I'll have to look into it so I can stop buying the same expensive cars over and over to keep the credits rolling in.

I have started the process of adding accounts, but also not Finished that. I just keep racing and not figuring the rest of the potential out.
*Sighs, shakes head.

Thanks!

From what I have experienced, driving can allow for a tenth ot two depending on how consistant you are but a fast car with a great setup is easier to drive fast than a fast car with a crap setup. My buddy did a setup for me to try in the free run and my first lap was 1:30:050 and was getting faster each lap. After 3 laps I took it to the races, best it could manage in the game was 1:32:700. The car/setup I use now is good for anywhere from a 1:30:134 to a 1:52:000 depending on how clean I can get around. To be honest the thing that gets me the most is the logon, one time you login your car is fast and another time it's so slow you just shake your head in disgust. You can even feel it in the wheel and pedals, a slight touch on the gas and you're floored and the next time your whole range of motion is needed to hit redline. Having said that, truly great racers can get that last tenth out of a car that some of us didn't know existed. Some times it's more than a tenth ;)

First lap - 1:36.804

Props seconded to @dimpai. Bought a new car and have this one flying:
First lap: 1.36.571
Best lap (from session): 1.29.926
Overall: 4.37.886

20150510_215637-1.jpg

Edit: clarification on time

Last edited:
I too wish to thank Dimpai for his help but I would also request he clean up his racing. He took me out twice the other day and I let it go thinking it may have been an accident but he just did the same to a Crashboy18 and it was blatant. What gives??

I would like to add that Crashboy18 is most likely the cleanest racer you will ever race against on here. If he wouldn't do it it real life he won't do it here. I try to do the same but after a while I hit back.

Last edited:
Ok, I have no idea what is happening but it's nuts. I just received a very nasty message online from a guy that I don't even remember racing accusing me me running people off the road and slamming into folks. I had and have no idea what he was talking about. I was in a room with two other people who had postions 1 and 2, I meanwhile started from p11 and p14. On one race I was just giving her gas after hitting the turn 2? apex when I was slammed in the rear. The contact was so hard I slid the entire straight sideways and went all the way to the wall past the sand at the end of the back straight. The guy that hit me was literally bouncing all over the place. Like he was being teleported to different spots on the track. I called a guy out for breakchecking and he had no idea what I was talking about either. If thats what happened to Dimpai I am truly sorry. This is effectiing reputations and I know to some that may not mean much but damn.

That is what's happening most likely. Cars we don't see are on the track, it's rare, but it's happened to me more than once. Suddenly careening off the track at twice the speed of sound, controller going crazy buzzing in my hand.

But there are also a TON of dirty drivers who NEVER use the racing line, block any passing attempts, or worse, let you get about 50% past them and bump you off the track. Even some clean racers can hit you by mistake. To me bumping a bit and contact is going to happen. After all this FF VW slides a bit...But you can tell when it's not incidental bumping.

Had a few good races in the 4:42 range and had a few nasty ones, with the same 6 or 7 racers. Even got a nasty brake check cresting the hill before the turns leading to the main straight away, 6 second penalty on lap two. I still caught back up and beat him, rofl. He left the room after, which was the only smart thing he did. :)

Btw...The stock yard was so simple, should have worked on in two minutes before thinking I was done at 500 cars. Now gaining credits is fun since I can buy all the cheaper cars and I'm going to attempt owning every car in the game. Gotta have goals, right?

I'm so new to the online stuff that this truly is new to me. I had no idea what to expect other than what I have read here and the GT official site over the years. I don't ever remember reading anything about it being this bad. I was sent flying what had to be over a quarter mile today and the only reason it was stopped was due to the catch fence. Does this have anything to do with the PS4 becoming more and more mainstream? When I hit someone they had it coming big time and I want them to know I hit them. More often than not I go out of my way to avoid contact, I won't dive up the inside if I risk taking out the guy/gal that had a right to the apex. I certainly will admit to a mistake or a clumbsy manouver but when things like today happen all I can say is damn was it bad. By far my worst experience ever. Came up with a new rule for myself though and that is if I don't have something nice to say I'll keep my yap shut. I tend to thank people for a great and clean race. I can tell you this, if I'm behind you I will try and pass. I just won't knock you out or off the track to do it. I want people to be willing to race with me. I have a long list of people that can and do race clean. Unfortunately the list of dirty drivers is much much longer. Can you move cars in and out of the stockyard?

Yeah, the list builds in the stockyard and options are below it once cars are in it. But what threw me off is you can't click directly in the stockyard line, only options under it.

Back