Red Bull Ring, Volkswagen Scirroco GT24...

• Thread starter wedjim
  • 201 comments
Hi, in my opinion you have 6th way to long, shortening just this gear you will gain some! ;-)
Thanks for the tip.
I've been working on getting 4th & 5th to pull through the esses, the approach to the main straight, and turn 1 exit. These are my top priorities to get right and are resulting in my needing to compromise somewhat. I think I am about where I need to be and can now concentrate on 6th and launch. BTW I do run a slightly longer top gear to take advantage of the draft with drivers I've come to trust ;). I'll also bump draft if I can close early enough and I know you. :sly:

My skill gains are flattening out so my gearing is now more secure, where earlier just as I thought I was close I'd find a quicker way through a section (skill or better setup) which would make the current ratio too short at the next brake point. So back to the pits and complain to the crewchief get some new gears and repeat the process.

Thanks to @wedjim for your suggestion on softening the springs I went at the front, the car tracks better now. Still loose though but throttle management is helping. Get it just right and this car flies through the esses a bit too much and she starts to drift and I lift probably more than I should. She has a fine line for sure.

Thanks for the tip.
I've been working on getting 4th & 5th to pull through the esses, the approach to the main straight, and turn 1 exit. These are my top priorities to get right and are resulting in my needing to compromise somewhat. I think I am about where I need to be and can now... .

Launch is only once, there is no big time difference if you leaving two black track on asphalt or not. Proper gearing from 2nd up is crucial. With high speed turbo I would set 6th on the spot then rest as close as possible. Check the dyno chart, torque and hp peaks are very close each other.

Ps I am not a fan of limiting power :-)

Launch is only once, ...
Concur, it is the least of my priorities. Intend to apply Launch type, gear selection, & throttle control to fine tune this event. ...
there is no big time difference if you leaving two black track on asphalt or not. Proper gearing from 2nd up is crucial. With high speed turbo I would set 6th on the spot then rest as close as possible. Check the dyno chart, torque and hp peaks are very close each other. ...
I do start with the charts and numbers, then all that must actually work on the track. Then the actual running of the car on the track in question confirms or contradicts theory with actual results...
Ps I am not a fan of limiting power :-)
I concur here as well and shy away from it in Club & open lobbies. I look at this event type as, wide open no holds barred (tune & setup only), bring your best ride to the game. The use of power limiting here in this QM results in a more prolonged power production vs a peak of short duration. Power limiting seems to limit the HP with little effect on torque.
  • I suspect for long flat out top speed tracks the power limiter approach would prove less advantageous.

The gearbox really is a dilemma I can't make anything work well, the flip is compromised as I use second to launch the car and get round two corners.

Getting off the line quickly is important, far to easy to spin the wheels in first and places gained here are helpful if you have a grid slot in the teens even getting a few car lengths clear from pole can give you the time to get around the first corner avoiding the melee!

The car needs to run to something like 144mph at the fastest point on the track.

Flipped gearboxes have been great for lap times but so compromised at the start. the important change to third bogs badly and places are lost :(

I'm still where I was way back on page one :banghead:

Thank god @Aussie_HSV put something together early on that works ok!

I gave up on trying to race in this thing the last time I had the chance due to continuous "Loading for New Players messages" when the grids were already full for like an hour... I'll try it again tomorrow though.

I have a 'flipped' gearbox that will bog down in 2nd off the line.
So it needed adjusting to get it to a point where it would slightly light up off the line, but not spin ridiculously.
Using 1st still seemed pointless.

It's different to the other tune I put in here.
I went for something completely different and bought a new car and added oil and rigidity before starting tuning on it.
It has a turbo, and I think Intake added.
Then I went for stupid settings like mega stiff springs, then super soft springs, etc.
I think I opted for the super soft springs.
I ended up running 1:31.1 offline with it.

I'll post it soon, along with the 'flipped' gearbox that goes with it.

Once, when QM was on untuningable cars, I saw a guy who was able to start without a single wheel spin, he was using G25 wheel. He raced golf 6 gti, so the same as here ff and turbo.

I have a little suspicion that those who use wheels with clutch have an advantage. I don't know why yet! ;-) but:

- they don't have an indicator of traction control (small red bar next to throttle bar), I use Logitech dfgt and during gear change have that red bar for a friction of second
- some of those guys brake half way later than me! probably help is reduction from 6th to 2nd at once (with extra gear panel - G25, G27), not sure...

Last edited:
As I mentioned it's a different tune.
I was throwing stupid numbers at it to see if I stumbled across a crazy setup that works.
This time around it has oil, rigidity, a turbo, and is power limited.
It also has weird suspension settings.
(opposite to everything I did the first time around, but still no ballast)

405BHP, 1120kgs, 514PP.

Power:
Stage 3 Turbo
Intake Tuning
Limiter 89.5%

Suspension:
60 / 55
8.00 / 11.50
1 / 2
10 / 5
7 / 7
0.00 / 1.00
(fixed toe)

Brakes:
6 / 8

Diff:
10 / 40 / 20 (standard)

Downforce:
130 / 70
(no ballast)

Gears:
You may have noticed I was typing 'flipped' earlier.
It is flipped I guess, but it's not typical in that the Final isn't set to max (or at least very high) at the start.
In fact it starts slightly lower than standard setting.

So ...
After power parts are added, reset to default.
Then adjust in this order:
Set FG 3.750
Set Max. Speed 180km/h (112mph)
Set FG 2.500

Bit weird all round I know. :lol:

The launch in 2nd seems fairly good.
It's not outstanding and whips everyone else off the line though, so don't expect miracles.
But generally it's as good, if not better, than others I've seen online.

Tuned on G27.
All aids off except ABS 1.

That's one interesting car @Aussie_HSV

Proper caught me out the first time into T7 at speed, big armful of opposite lock was required!

Car has great on power steering, pulls its nose round T2 like no ones business, likes to rotate as well, maybe a bit too much for my liking, also the unstable under braking in to T3 which would have me worried if the pack was close at hand!

It felt plush over the curbs, riding with ease what bounced the other cars around, probably the low compression settings I think.

Best lap for me of a 1:30.850 usually running in the 1:30.9xx to 1:31.2xx range, can't help wondering how fast it would be with the other engine build! Only run it offline BTW.

Will try the gearbox in my own car tomorrow as well!

It's really fun driving everyone's cars, I learn interesting bits and pieces here and there :)

My final drive is 2.855 right now. From memory my 6th gear is 1:281? So I'm in between.
I did it mostly to get lots of room for ratio changes in 2-6, along with a final drive that can be radically altered to suit changes in the most important gears.

Traction control vs none; I am far slower off the line with traction control on. Which surprised me. Smoking tires and shift to third while barely modulating the throttle(DS3) nets me much better starts now.

I also messed with power limit and engine tune options yesterday. My fastest lap 1:31.44x was with 86.6% limit with only the tuning changes needed to get from 80.6%. I shaved .7 seconds. Some of it could be attributed to magic laps, but I did 6 1:31's in all my clean laps right after the change. So I'm sold on less limiting for better lap times, at least for me.

@SCClockDr , on the springs. From my full scale racing we always wanted the stiffest springs the tires could handle. The main issue is how suddenly they break traction. The softest springs always gave the least abrupt traction loss, but at the expense of body roll, requiring really beefy sway bars. With that said, there really is no right or wrong. But I keep realizing something that didn't work before, works now, because of all the other changes.

Bouncing ideas off each other is a ton of fun and making this car and track tolerable...even dare I say, fun!

GTPlanet domination!

Took the night off from QM's and opened an online lobby, "GTP-Geezers" 1 Geezer and 1 QM racer showed up. We traded some tune and driving tips & did a race. The practice room seemed to sport loads of front grip, way more than the QM lobby. I found with my LSD setup (7/55/6) the rear wanted to step out on a full throttle lift & wheel in it, needed to keep the throttle a bit open to keep it pointed. The actual race was a bit better but still not the same as the QM lobby.

That's one interesting car @Aussie_HSV

Proper caught me out the first time into T7 at speed, big armful of opposite lock was required!

Car has great on power steering, pulls its nose round T2 like no ones business, likes to rotate as well, maybe a bit too much for my liking, also the unstable under braking in to T3 which would have me worried if the pack was close at hand!

It felt plush over the curbs, riding with ease what bounced the other cars around, probably the low compression settings I think.

Best lap for me of a 1:30.850 usually running in the 1:30.9xx to 1:31.2xx range, can't help wondering how fast it would be with the other engine build! Only run it offline BTW.

Will try the gearbox in my own car tomorrow as well!

It's really fun driving everyone's cars, I learn interesting bits and pieces here and there :)
Interesting is one word for it. :lol:

I wouldn't have posted it other than for the gearbox talk in the thread.
And I don't know how it would work with a more traditional setup, so I posted the whole thing.

But there's a bit of room to play with there for 2nd gear so it might be adaptable to other setups.

Took the night off from QM's and opened an online lobby, "GTP-Geezers" 1 Geezer and 1 QM racer showed up. We traded some tune and driving tips & did a race. The practice room seemed to sport loads of front grip, way more than the QM lobby. I found with my LSD setup (7/55/6) the rear wanted to step out on a full throttle lift & wheel in it, needed to keep the throttle a bit open to keep it pointed. The actual race was a bit better but still not the same as the QM lobby.

I would of joined but it was already far to late for me on a week night! Temperature is higher than in QM 23 degrees verses 8 degrees that may account for more grip?

I had a pretty good session last night, starting position was usually 10th or lower but blasted through the pack to take wins regularly :) One guy must of been fed up, he would lead the race to the last lap only to be monstered by a black Scirocco :lol:

I've been trying to figure out why my black car was slower than my orange car! It seems I'd set downforce differently on the orange car 160 rear, made that change to the black car and it was fast again. I take back my earlier comment on rear downforce, I think the very low settings on some of the other cars are responsible for them being unstable into T3. New best online lap of 1:31.187. I've updated my setup accordingly ;)

[edit]Some pictures of a little incident...This is the race for the lead, my car is the black one, this occurs at the exit of T2, I'd made a move up the inside and the opposition had cut back to get us into this position ;)

Situation normal, drag race to T3 here we go!

My competition has other ideas and turns left into my already less than pristine Scirocco! :(

This put me on the grass and got me some airtime, and a pretty good image....

The other guy got a penalty looked to be 5 or 7 seconds and in the process lost two more positions, so all was good in the end, if they hadn't of turned left on me there would have been the possibility of passing at T3 not to mention a higher finishing position. Just a illustration of penalties working for the better for a change ;)

Talking of penalties I got a good one last night, got everything stopped no contact but very close to the car in front, car behind doesn't get stopped bumps me, not to hard but this accelerates me into the back of the car in front :embarrassed: GT6 says have 3 seconds downtime and go to the back of the field! :lol:

[/edit]

Last edited:
Last night was a similar set of events for me. Stay tight, get hit in the right door, 5 second penalty. Go wide in turn 1 or 2 to avoid the chaos, get a penalty coming back on....a few times.

I also raced clean for a lap trying to get around the leader and when I pulled along side for a clean pass, bang, bang, bang u till I was shoved into the grass. Kept it floored and passed him in the grass leading into turn 2, went wide and took the spot. SpiderCarlos didn't seem too happy about it. Then, BAM, "you have been logged off due to a connection error."

Done for the night.

I did get my green car into the 1:31's with a similar setup to my white car, but a different trans with a 2.71 final drive.

@wedjim I was driving with you in those races, had a couple of 2nd places behind you, if I was able too pass a certain Mr SC...and the ensuing chaos. You were flying.

Hats off for keeping it ultra clean & only using the designated track.

Thanks to @graveltrap 's tune I managed too increase my credit count considerably, after your abrupt depature.

Sometimes there is some satisfaction in the QM's when coming across worthy opponents, whose aim is too race and not drive fairground bumper cars.

Glad you are enjoying the setup @Francois B :)

I've been trying alternate engine builds, less power more torque with the lower FD gearbox set up whilst I can extract a decent lap out of them every now and again, they don't have the consistent pace of the engine @SCClockDr developed early on...

Red Bull Ring is now my most driven Circuit and my Black Scirocco is about become my most driven car :embarrassed: I never thought a front wheel drive car would top that list!

New PB race lap earlier with a 1:31.104 still can't break the 1:30 barrier in a race :(

@wedjim I was driving with you in those races, had a couple of 2nd places behind you, if I was able too pass a certain Mr SC...and the ensuing chaos. You were flying.

Hats off for keeping it ultra clean & only using the designated track.

Thanks to @graveltrap 's tune I managed too increase my credit count considerably, after your abrupt depature.

Sometimes there is some satisfaction in the QM's when coming across worthy opponents, whose aim is too race and not drive fairground bumper cars.

Thanks! Racing and trying to get my car as fast as possible is what I'm there for. I can't imagine these guys who spend 3 laps trying to stop people from passing, rather than going faster, or trying to?

Between @SCClockDr initial engine tune and the high speed turbo idea, @Graveltraps tuning ideas, @Aussie_HSV initial trans tune ideas and some stuff we've all mixed in, anyone reading this thread should find some good speed and be competitive!

Hope to see you in a room again!

Got the green car flying now! Lowered it a bit more to 63/58 and tweaked on my trans a bit, ran three 4:42's in a row with a best of 4:42.013. No best single laps, but the car feel easy to drive and gives me 1:31.2xx-1:32.0xx every clean lap now.

The field shrank every race and after about 5, I got tired of running away with them and logged out and did some laps in the delta wing seasonal. Man that car is difficult to drive without aids on, so I'm using 4 aids, lol. Had a nice 1:22 lap going and the darn thing pushed out over the curb leading onto the front straight, "lap will not count!"

Arggggghhhhh! 7258th will do for now. lol

It was the good, the bad and the ugly last night!

Initially things were going well pretty solid room, running a bunch of 4:40.xxx race times :) Also hit a bunch of 1:31.0xx laps the best being a 1:31.013 :) :( Frustrating!

The room slowly degenerated into my worst quick match experience yet, it felt like everyone would block, tap, put you on the grass, brake check, not to mention one guy that would park (if they had a bad race) then try and de-ghost when the field came round :( I got to garage slot 1 in the pits (host I think) and started to suffer big lag spikes (as people joined or left I think) so it was time to leave...

GT6 just put me back in there, but at least the lag was gone again...

Started to get some fast guys in so had a couple of good races, but grid position was the deciding factor most of the time!

[edit]
Couple of replays from last night, check out runs in the 4:40 range, links to dropbox as files to big to attach here.

Replay 1

Replay 2

How to on how to share replays from GT6

Finally 1:30.966 :) Also a new best first lap with a 1:37.017 and a new best overall of 4:39.277!

That's it from me for a while as work demands I am away for most of the next 5 weeks, hopefully I don't miss the boat on the next car and track ;)[/edit]

Last edited:
Yesterday I tried a different approach to transmission building.

1. Reduced power to stock
  2. Did a 5.500 final 112 MPH flip.
  3. Now 2nd launches bog on dumping the brake to launch
    • An Emerg. brake launch from idle in 1st is doable, more smoke though. Got to be swift with the lever 1>2>3 LOL
    • Still optimizing the interim gears with a 3.750 final ATM.

4. Also added 10Kg of ballast @ -50
  5. Upped Rear DF 50 > 70
  6. Lowered Front DF 150 > 130
  7. Re-calibrated LSD settings to 7/55/6
Seems to be less drift and screeching through the esses. Still not able to crack 4:42.### but have seen some 1:31's and a few 1:38's lap 1, just to string 3 in a row together.

Raced with LSDHen with this tune and bested him thru the esses massively and could catch and pass him on occasion. Captured a video & will post it soon.

Edit: Here is the tune I'm evaluating:
View attachment 350942

This became a fun tune for me, love how the car drifts upto the corners and sweeps around unto the straight.
I won 3 races and a best time of 1:33.009.

Cheers

Last night was fairly uneventful. Ran a Little slower with no real changes, off about .5 seconds. A couple 4:43's and a 4:42.7xx best. Not sure if it was temp change or just an off night, didn't catch it.

Tried the expert seasonal 550 again, can't get the win, best is second so far. Tried a few different cars with no improvement. I wa s drifting my Ferrari around but was still 7 seconds behind the leader. Tuff one for me.

Have you guys tried it? What cars?

Last night was fairly uneventful. Ran a Little slower with no real changes, off about .5 seconds. A couple 4:43's and a 4:42.7xx best. Not sure if it was temp change or just an off night, didn't catch it.

Tried the expert seasonal 550 again, can't get the win, best is second so far. Tried a few different cars with no improvement. I wa s drifting my Ferrari around but was still 7 seconds behind the leader. Tuff one for me.

Re. The expert seasonal, I won with the NSX-R LM Road Car. The lead AI were the Murcielago and a GT-40, don't know if that's an "easy" field or not. I tried it first with the GSX thinking that would be easiest, but no.

Tried the expert seasonal 550 again, can't get the win, best is second so far. Tried a few different cars with no improvement. I was drifting my Ferrari around but was still 7 seconds behind the leader. Tuff one for me.

New poster here. I won the seasonal 550 with a Tommykaira ZZII.

I have been using graveltrap's tune (thanks), but the best I have done is 1:32.xxx. I'm glad I haven't met you guys on the track (I have been able to win against lesser fields)!. Yesterday (afternoon EDT) when I tried to race there must have been some network issues as I got some 300 seconds until race time followed by a second or third such delay. I basically did free laps and then quit when I had to leave.

More weird network issues. I started at the back of about 13 cars. At the start I bumped the car in front of me but quickly got around him. I then discovered that no other car was moving. I continued the free lap and when I got around T2 I saw about 6 cars in front of me (it still said I was in first). For S&G I finished all 3 laps. The clock said there were cars behind me but I never saw them in my rear view mirror.

More weird network issues. I started at the back of about 13 cars. At the start I bumped the car in front of me but quickly got around him. I then discovered that no other car was moving. I continued the free lap and when I got around T2 I saw about 6 cars in front of me (it still said I was in first). For S&G I finished all 3 laps. The clock said there were cars behind me but I never saw them in my rear view mirror.

I have seen this on several of the QM's. Suddenly at the end your correct position appears. I wonder what the other drivers see, lol.

I've seen cars driving entire laps in the grass and sand traps, keeping pace. Glitches I suppose, big ones.

I finally won the 550 expert with the NSX road car. Maxed out rear toe at 1.00, front -.30 and max down force, etc. won by 6 seconds.

I have seen this on several of the QM's. Suddenly at the end your correct position appears. I wonder what the other drivers see, lol.

I've seen cars driving entire laps in the grass and sand traps, keeping pace. Glitches I suppose, big ones.

I finally won the 550 expert with the NSX road car. Maxed out rear toe at 1.00, front -.30 and max down force, etc. won by 6 seconds.

I just won with the M4 Coupe! I really wanted to take it in the F40 but kept spinning out going into the corner after Piscine.

Have been trying to race today...ran a few good ones earlier sans the people who run you off the road. Just watched a race and it ended up at the GT loading screen for a long time and the next race started...may be an explanation for some of the ghosting at the start line...I was probably just that jerk. Disconnected before they would have had time to get around at least!

My setup

Best lap time 1:30.659 Best Race time 4:39.227 (both online during a race)

Many thanks to SCClockDr for the Power setup

411BHP, 1130kgs, 514PP.

Power:
High RPM Turbo
Racing Exhaust
Catalytic Converter
Limiter 83.8%

Suspension:
60 / 60
12.18 / 14.04
4 / 5
5 / 6