Red Dead Redemption 2

• Thread starter RX-7_FD3S
  • 1,102 comments
So, I abandoned RDR2 last November because I was struggling to find the time to actually enjoy playing it... Fired it up this past weekend... And aside from totally forgetting all the game mechanics, I've got to say what an incredible job R* do with building their worlds and characters... Its made me want to execute a play through of the the PS2 to PS4 era GTA, Red Dead and Canis Canem Edit titles.

I'll never stop being disappointed that the post release content for the two latest games in those franchises is solely for the benefit of Online players, the story mode stuff is just so, so, so good.

We're proud to announce that Red Dead Redemption 2 is coming to PC on November 5th, with special bonuses available to players who pre-purchase through the Rockstar Games Launcher starting October 9th. We also want to say thank you to the millions of people who have already downloaded the Rockstar Games Launcher and received their free copy of Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.

For those yet to download the Rockstar Games Launcher, be sure to download by Tuesday October 8th to get Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas for free.

Read on for more details about the long-awaited launch of Red Dead Redemption 2 for PC and stay tuned for more information to come next week.

Probably the only game I'll pre-order, and I finished on my XB1X. But at 60+ FPS on an Ultrawide my second play through should be so sweet!

I'm one of the few who have probably been interested in RDR2 but never played it. I do most gaminng these days on my laptop, so I'm looking forward to the PC release and finally get to give it a whirl.

I'm one of the few who have probably been interested in RDR2 but never played it. I do most gaminng these days on my laptop, so I'm looking forward to the PC release and finally get to give it a whirl.

I don't think your one of a "few", I think it'll sell great on PC. I'm assuming RDR2 will be beast to run, hope you have a beefy laptop. Maybe they'll have it properly optimized. On my XB1X it does run at 4K 30FPS, not sure how that will translate to their PC release when considering "similar" hardware. Great game and "looks" fantastic but frame-rate and control lets it down a little on console.

Can i play online without other players? Id like to complete objectives and stories without others who want kill me for no reason. It ruined gta online for me.

Can i play online without other players? Id like to complete objectives and stories without others who want kill me for no reason. It ruined gta online for me.

Agreed.
Or at least allow us not be clearly visible on the map. I did like the story but really enjoyed the character choices online so on PC I’d like to primarily play online.

So today is launch day. After a 100+gb download it keeps crashing to desktop.
What is going on and are there any fixes?
I do not like this Rockstar launcher.

Hmm good feedback. I was tempted to get this for my PC too, even though I have only about 30% completion on my standard PS4 version.
Really just wanted to see how much better the graphics would be on PC compared to my standard PS4... Comments like above could well save me some $, thank you :).

Hmm good feedback. I was tempted to get this for my PC too, even though I have only about 30% completion on my standard PS4 version.
Really just wanted to see how much better the graphics would be on PC compared to my standard PS4... Comments like above could well save me some $, thank you :).
It's not as stable as I'd have expected for a Rockstar game. I've had a few crashes when starting it up and one crash mid-game when my Graphics card ran out of memory. It's not like I have a GTX 1080 or anything :rolleyes:.

When it is running it seems like a great game, so I will persevere for now and hopefully a patch will sort out the crashes. I wouldn't recommend it at this point to anyone who already has it on a console because the console version probably didn't have these issues.

So far I've not been able to run the game at all (launcher crash) on my laptop (i7/16GB/GTX1070) and have been successful in running it on my old PC (i7/16GB/GTX970). Runs nicely on my old PC.

So far I've not been able to run the game at all (launcher crash) on my laptop (i7/16GB/GTX1070) and have been successful in running it on my old PC (i7/16GB/GTX970). Runs nicely on my old PC.

That’s odd and causes me to think possibly firewall related.

I’d try running it as an administrator on the laptop, or disable anti-virus.

1. Navigate to where the game is installed.
  2. Right-click on RDR2.exe.
  3. Select Properties.
  4. Under the Compatibility tab, tick both ‘Run this Program as an Administrator’ and ‘Disable Fullscreen Optimizations’.
  5. Click Ok.

Gonna give it a try after work. Using the same setup on both machines BTW: Windows 10, fully updated, latest nVidia drivers, Windows Defender. Tried adding launcher/game to firewall yesterday, didn't work.

I bought Planet Zoo last night instead :) Maybe if it comes up on special over Christmas holidays or something I might pick it up.

Gonna give it a try after work. Using the same setup on both machines BTW: Windows 10, fully updated, latest nVidia drivers, Windows Defender. Tried adding launcher/game to firewall yesterday, didn't work.

Got the launcher fixed, but not with the tips posted. Of all things, it was the Windows Media Creation Tool. My Windows 10 was already fully updated but forcing another upgrade with the tool fixed all my issues. Weird, but it works. 👍

Anyone else have the issue (PC) in first person mode outside of a camp where you get stuck running? The only way to go back to walk is to switch to third person and back again to first person viewpoint. This fixes it for all of 10 seconds.....
So frustrating, I just want to wander around in Valentine taking it in and not run around like a idiot.

That’s a really informative video thanks for sharing.
Gave me a 20fps boost and improved visuals.
Yes, I always turn to them for game optimization now. Tim does a great job of explaining stuff and squeezing out the last drop of performance without sacrificing significant fps.

Bonus tip: Using Vulkan instead of DirecX12 as graphics API yields another additional 10 fps on average for me. (You may be using Vulkan already as I believe it's the default).

Back