Red-Line

Chapter 25 : The Much-Awaited Race

Am I going to use Kairi's FD RX-7 again, this time for real?

We arrived at Italy, back to where me and Kyosuke had our first race for Team MUGEN. This place brings back memories...

After a day's rest, we wasted no time and immediately headed to the scene of the races. Luckily, events are still being held.

We saw Marcus and Guiseppe. "Hey guys! Glad to see you!"
-"Same here, we've been expecting you."
"Uh, expecting us??"

Kairi interrupted, "I told you, I would make the necessary arrangements, right?"

Guiseppe said in a somewhat angry tone, "Who do you think you are?! Coming here asking for a special race, just because you beat the best around here?!"
-"??"
"Nah, I'm just kidding, haha!"
We all laughed along. Marcus added, -"Hahaha...so, the place is all set. After these races, yours will be coming up. Are you guys ready?"
"Ready as always."
-"Great. We'll see you again in a short while, we have to take care of some business that's in accordance for your race."
"Arigato."
-"Based on my understanding and a little bit of reading manga, I presume 'arigato' means 'thank you'."
"Yes. If you'll excuse us, we also have our own business to take care of."
-"Sure." Marcus and Guiseppe left.

"Uh, Kairi-san..."
-"What is it, Tori?"
"Where's Yamato-san?"

Just then a car stopped in front of us.

IMG0011-4.jpg

Yamato got out of the car. "Hey Kairi, here's that 'other package' you sent me to pick up."
-"Oh good, it already arrived."
"I have to tell you, this Evo VIII runs pretty quick. Was it Hitomi who tuned this car?"
-"Yeah, he's also the one who took car of my FD."
"Is that so? It's a good thing you hired him, he's a pretty good mechanic for his young age."

Kairi called Kyosuke, "Kyosuke, come over here."
-"So, is this the secret project you've been working on, Kairi-san?"
"Yes. Today, you'll be driving it."
-"Sweet!! I get to play with a new toy!!"
"Tori, you'll be using my RX-7 again, this time for the race."
-"Hai."

So, I will be driving Kairi's RX-7. Kyosuke's going to race with the new Lancer Kairi had asked to be brought over.

"Oh Tori, and before I forgot, I also asked someone to come along here."
-"Who??" That made me think. It could be either of the two: my parents or....
" 'They' should be here right about..." Kairi looks at his watch. "....now."

We saw a taxi stop over. When I saw who got out, I couldn't believe my eyes. It's......Zinaida!!

"Tori!!"
-"...Zinaida!"
"Surprised?? Mr. Kagiyama asked my dad If I could go see your race. Since the two of them are good friends and my dad wanted some warm weather for a change, he approved. Of course, he's with me."

"Thank goodness you called, Kairi. I will surely get frostbite if I would just be sitting around the house every day."
-"Haha, well it's summer now, so it's a good time to enjoy some warm sunlight."

While we were chatting, Yamato and the mechanics got to work on the two cars. I can sense a very serious atmosphere around them, and an imaginary signpost that reads "Do Not Disturb" .

"So Zinaida, uh.....how have you....been doing...??"
-"I'm okay. How about...you.....Tori......?"
"I'm....fine....."
-"That's great. Um......I kind of.......missed you....."
"....M-Me too...."

Kyosuke had to ruin the mood again, "What do we have here? A lovely couple having a reunion?? Aww, how nice indeed."

Me and Zinaida couldn't help but blush. Man, it sure is great getting to see her again!

"I've heard the two of you will be racing against each other."
-"Yeah."
-"Yeah."
"Well...good luck to the both of you."
-"Arigato."
-"Arigato."
"Hehe, you two sound cute when you say that at the same time."
-"Really? Tori, should we say it again?"
"!! Wha....uhhh....."
"Hahaha!" Zinaida laughed. I was a bit embarassed, but then again I don't mind, because I get to hear that voice of an angel again!

"Well, it seems that we all got acquainted once more, Tori? Kyosuke? Shall we get going? Don't forget we still have a race to finish."
-"Hai."
-"Hai."
"Tori, Kyosuke will be the first one to practice for the race. He needs to get a feel for the car, since it's new to him. Is that OK?"
-"Sure, I don't mind."
"All right. Kyosuke, get ready."

Kyosuke got in the Lancer. Just by looking at his face, he's excited about the race and getting to drive the new car. He rolled out and began the practice run.
IMG0000-6.jpg

"Wow, very sharp response. Downhill? Not bad."

IMG0001-4.jpg

"I'm pulling off some massive G's under heavy braking. This car has incredible stopping power."

IMG0002-4.jpg

"I gotta admit it's pretty fast down the straight. Whoops, I mean 'up' the straight."

IMG0003-4.jpg

"Let's see how you do on my specialty: uphill."

IMG0005-7.jpg

"Incredible. Just plain stunning, no understeer problems on this sweeper. The suspension and tires go well with each other."

IMG0007-5.jpg

"The torque surging from all wheels pounds the tarmac, providing very reliable grip going up this section."

IMG0008-4.jpg

"I certainly would like to have this car, but it belongs to the racing school. With this car and me behind its steering wheel, Tori's sure to have a hard time."

IMG0009-6.jpg

"Okay, one more lap."

IMG0010-5.jpg

*Kyosuke zooms past the starting line* "Kairi, I didn't know that Evo of ours could go that fast. How much power is it producing?"
-"From 300ps, I asked Hitomi to upgrade to around 350ps, the same as the FD."
"So this race will really come down to driving skills. This should be really interesting."
-"I assure you it will be."

After a few laps, Kyosuke got back. "It's your turn now, Tori."
-"I know."

I am once again getting inside Kairi's FD. I'm excited, and at the same time nervous.
Yamato informed me of some changes in the setup. "We changed a few settings in the FD, particularly the suspension and transmission, so it's good to go around your specialty: touge roads."

I began my practice run with a deep breath. "Here I go."

IMG0012-5.jpg

"This car accelerates like there's no tomorrow on downhill roads. I have to be ready on the brakes."

IMG0013-5.jpg

"I know it runs well on circuit tracks, but here on touge it's much more better than I expected."

IMG0014-4.jpg

"Exceptional... so fast...."

IMG0015-5.jpg

"Whoa! Nearly missed that edge!"

IMG0016-6.jpg

"Impressive cornering performance as always. I can drive my way!"

IMG0017-5.jpg

"A bit slow on uphills, but.....nah."

IMG0018-7.jpg

"All right, one more."

IMG0019-5.jpg

After a few laps, I went back.

"So Tori, are you ready for this?"
-"I'm ready. You?"
"I'm always good to go. May the best man win."

We shook hands. -"May the best man win, Kyosuke-san"

Final checks and last-minute decisions were made. "Who's going to be up front?"

Kairi brought out something from his pocket.

"We're deciding this on a toin coss? Fine with me."
-"Your call, Kyosuke."
"Tails."

He flipped the coin, and as it hit his palm, it showed tails. "I get to be front."

As we rolled out, tensions start to build up. From me and Kyosuke to everyone who's going to be a witness in this race.

IMG0020-4.jpg

IMG0021-6.jpg

This is it, the race that will decide the future of Team MUGEN. Race 14, begin!!

IMG0022-6.jpg

[POV Shift]

"C'mon Tori, show me what you've got."

IMG0023-6.jpg

*someone from the crowds* "Amazing! They both hit the brakes at the same time!"

IMG0024-6.jpg

"So far, so good. I can stay on his tail."

IMG0025-5.jpg

"He's pretty quick on this straight. I have to take a better line on that chicane to match his speed."

IMG0026-6.jpg

"It's hard just keeping up with him. His skills are a cut above the rest for sure."
"Impressive, even in the new car I can't shake him off. Maybe these two cars are tuned at the same level."

IMG0027-5.jpg

"This is it, the feeling I've been looking for. A neck-and-neck race between a worthy opponent."
"I can feel the adrenaline pumping inside my body. This has already turned into a great race."

IMG0028-3.jpg

"I'm waiting, Tori. When are you gonna make your first move?"
"I'll overtake him on the next corner."

IMG0029-5.jpg

"Nice try!"
"He blocked it?! I know for sure I took the better racing line."

IMG0030-5.jpg

"Don't compare me to those other people you've raced against. I studied your driving style, I know when you are going to overtake."
"Kyosuke-san's one tough customer."

IMG0031-5.jpg

"My skills will definitely be put to the test in this race."
"I'm getting pumped up just racing with you, Tori. Keep it up."

IMG0032-5.jpg

"This feeling I can't describe, it makes me want to go full out on this race!"
"I will enjoy every moment of this. This excitement......let's go, Tori!"

IMG0033-4.jpg

next on Red-Line - *The Final Chapter* Chapter 26 : The Future of Team MUGEN

don't miss it!!

Last edited:
It was SO bad I thought it was just a typing error.:lol:

It was a typing error.

Look it's Zinaida! Awwww they're so cute together. :dopey: RX-7 vs EvoVIII will be a good match around Citta di Aria. ;)

Final chapter?! :(

Then for the last time: MOAR!

I'm thinking about making the final chapter a year-ender special.., IDK..,

Nice new chapter =drifting24/7= ;) Can't await the last one :) oh it's the last one :(..

Best wishes,

S-Line Audi Fan :cheers:

The last one?

D24/7, you would make a horrible drug dealer. You can't take away our crack!

*Will riot after Chapter 26*

There better be some sort of spinoff story coming after Red-Line. I'm going to miss your writing if there isn't.

Yes, or some entirely new story.:)

I told him a month or 2 ago when he first said to me he wanted to finish Red-Line while he was on holidays that he'd better make a new story or people will riot. Thanks for proving me right guys.:P:lol:

mm RX7 vs Evo...

.. there needs to be a spinoff or something new.. I need my crack errr stories!

Chapter 26 : The Future of Team MUGEN

"This feeling I can't describe, it makes me want to go full out on this race!"
"I will enjoy every moment of this. This excitement......let's go, Tori!"

"I can't just do a trial-and-error against Kyosuke. Looks like I'll need a bit of strategy on this one."

IMG0034-4.jpg

"From my observation, I can see he's a bit faster than me on downhills... I'm the opposite, I excel at uphills."

IMG0035-2.jpg

"We're like two side of the same coin, buddy."
"This chicane, better take a good line on this one."

IMG0036-4.jpg

"I can do this, if I can just stick my nose a little bit in more..."
"You think you can match my speed on this straight, eh?"

IMG0037-4.jpg

"You're wrong!!"
"He's unbelievably fast. Could it be because of his skills? The car?? Or both??"

IMG0038-4.jpg

"I haven't had this feeling since my first days in the racing school. I'll go full out all the way!"

IMG0039-4.jpg

"None of those whom I have raced against previously are able to match Kyosuke. He's one-of-a-kind."

IMG0040-4.jpg

"The sweeper's up next. C'mon Tori, make your move."
"The sweeper's up next. The RX-7 has a definite advantage on corners like those."

IMG0041-4.jpg

"As expected..."
"Now!"

IMG0042-4.jpg

"How'd he... that's impossible! He blocked my attack in the blink of an eye!"
"Just a slight tap on the brake, and the weight shifts, perfect for building up steam on any opponent. I love this car."

IMG0043-4.jpg

"Whoa! You had me surprised there. You went over from the left to the right side in the blink of an eye!"

IMG0044-4.jpg

"I'm making full use of the curbs, but he still matches my pace on the corners."

IMG0045-4.jpg

"Now he has the inside line..."
"All this defending makes me on the edge of my seat now."

IMG0046-4.jpg

"Yosh, I have the lead!"
"Is that your best shot?"

IMG0047-4.jpg

"Time to use the superb stopping power of this Evo."

IMG0048-1.jpg

"Whoops, looks like someone forgot to defend their position."
"! He was able to hold off his brakes very late?"

IMG0049-2.jpg

"Don't get cocky."
"Come on... think Tori, think! Where else could I overtake Kyosuke?"

IMG0050-3.jpg

*back at Team MUGEN*

"They're an incredible pair, eh Kairi?"
-"Who? Kyosuke and Tori? How's that, Yamato?"
"Look around you. Everyone who watches this races cheers for the both of them. They scream every time they pass the start/finish line."
-"...to be honest, I'm jealous of them."
"? Why?"
-"Look at them." *the two cars pass the line, the crowds cheer* "They're able to race with all their hearts. Without any worries, fears or regrets. I miss my old days. But, the traditions have to be always passed down to the younger generations." (Kairi looks up to the sky) "This race will decide the future of Team MUGEN. It's all in their hands now."
"Hehe, I couldn't agree more."

"This downhill section again. He's able to regain lost time, but he won't be able to pull off any overtaking attempts here, the line's too tight."

IMG0051-3.jpg

"I'm running out of time, but I have to stay calm. There's only one lap remaining."

IMG0052-1.jpg

"I can't shake him off. Now this is neck-and-neck racing!"

IMG0053-2.jpg

"Don't be doing any stupid moves now."
"Should I go for it again?"

IMG0054-2.jpg

"Drafting... Well, you can, considering this car's ride height. Ugh..."
"I'm just going to stick behind him as near as possible for now."

IMG0055-1.jpg

"I'll give it all that I got. Let's do it!"

IMG0056-1.jpg

"What the?! Overtaking on such a narrow piece of road?! You've gotta be crazy!"
"I can do this!"

IMG0057-1.jpg

"If that's what you want, then fine!"
"Nearly missed that edge again!"

IMG0058-1.jpg

"Come oooooonn!!!"
"Iiikkeeee!!"

IMG0059-1.jpg

"Just a little more..."
"My exit speed got affected by your attack. It's about time you used your skills."

IMG0060-2.jpg

"All right! I've secured my position!"
"I can still catch up. After this sweeper comes my favorite section of the track."

IMG0061-2.jpg

"Come back here!"
"We're almost at the finish line. I'm not gonna let Kyosuke regain his lead."

IMG0062-2.jpg

"That wasn't enough??""
"Almost got nailed by him!"

IMG0063-1.jpg

"Any move I make would be useless by now, I can't outpace Tori on downhills."
"There, I can see it!"

IMG0064-1.jpg

"Yeah! I won!"
"Congratulations, Tori, hehehe..." (Kyosuke claps his hands)

IMG0065-1.jpg

[POV Shift]

I can't believe myself. I won against Kyosuke! We got back to the sides, and Kyosuke was the first to congratulate me.

"Congratulations, Tori. You're one hell of a race driver, you beat me fair and square."
-"Thank you, Kyosuke-san. Although, I get the feeling that I just lucked out on our race."
"That wasn't luck, that was your skills. Heck, I'd be, no, everyone would be pissed if that was just a lucky victory. Don't feel bad, you raced and put all of your skills on the line. You deserved that win., congratulations. Thanks for the wonderful race."
-"Arigato, you're welcome." We shook hands.

Zinaida came running to us. "Tori! You won! Congratulations!!"
-"Thanks, Zinaida---uh, whoa!" As soon as she said she hugged me.
"You've become such a great driver, I'm so proud of you!!"
-"Thanks a lot!"
"Look at all the people around you. They're cheering for you! Wave at them!"
-"Uh, sure!" I waved at the crowds, their cheers became louder. I felt like I became champion on a world grand prix! I'm king of the world!
"As a prize, here you go!" She kissed me at the cheek. Man, I'm on fire!! Huuuuhh....
-"Wahahaha! Look at what you've done, Zinaida. You've got Tori paralyzed!"
"Hahaha!!"

Kairi and Yamato then came to us. "Congratulations to the both of you, especially you, Tori." He was clapping his hands.
-"Thank you, Kairi-san."
-"Thank you, Kairi-san."
"You've done it again, Tori. You had us amazed by your skills."
-"Arigato, Yamato-san."

Marcus and Guiseppe also went to congratulate me.

Guiseppe turns to the crowds, "Hey, come on you people, let's give them one more round of applause!" They once again clapped and cheered loudly.

*the next day*

Kairi thought it would be a good time to let off some steam and take a break from all the racing we've been through, so off to the beach we go!! Luckily I brought my swimming trunks. Kairi invited Zinaida's dad along so they're coming too.

"Kyosuke-san, can I have some of that sunscreen?"
-"Sure, here you go!" He squirted the sunscreen on my face.
"Hey, cut it out! That's not funny, that thing nearly got inside my mouth!"
-"You said you'd like to have some of it. What's it taste like? hahaha!!"

I laughed along, then I saw Zinaida coming in her swimsuit. "Hey Tori, we're here!"

"Hey, Zinaida! Uh.....wow......"
-"Uhm..... what is it...Tori? ......." I can tell she's blushing.
".......I-I didn't know you were this beauti---I-I-I mean......"
-"......W-What??"
Kyosuke butts in. "He means he wants you to wear a swimsuit more often. Am I not right, Tori?"
"......Y-Yes.......I mean, no!!"
-"Haha, I caught you red-handed! Hmm, make that red-faced!! Hahaha!"

Me and Zinaida were blushing. "Man, I'm such a devil. I'm having a good time just messing around with the both of you. Hahaha!!"

Zinaida's father, Frank, and Kairi were having a conversation in the distance.

"Looks like they're having a good time, Kairi."
-"Well, I thought they needed a break from all the racing they've been at. They deserve a well-earned rest once in a while."
"So, what do you think? Are they good enough?"
"Hmmmm, not yet. This is just the beginning of their 'adventure'."
-"I see things that way, too. They still have a lot to learn."
"Let's see what the future has in store for us. But for now," He sits and lies down on one of the recliners. "Let me just sit back and relax. All this managing of the team has made me look and feel old."

"Uhm, Tori..."
-"What is it, Zinaida?"
"If you don't mind.....could you please....teach me.....how to swim....?? Me and my father have been living inland near the mountains, so I'm not quite used to the beach. In fact, this is the first time I've ever worn my swimsuit."
-"Really?"
"Yeah....if it's okay with you...."
-"Sure! I'd be happy to teach you."
"You will? Thank you!" She kisses me again. That just got me more motivated to teach her!!

After having some fun swimming around, we rested and ate. Afternoon came, and Zinaida asked me to walk along the beach with her. I gladly accepted the offer.

"The sunset look so beautiful out here in the ocean." She's mesmerized by the scenery. "What do you think?"
-"Yeah. But..."
"?? Hm??"
-"Not as.....b-beautiful...as......you......"

She reaches out for my hand. So we walked along the beach, holding hands, then we sat down.

"So Tori, what's next?"
-"What's next? For the team?"
"Yes. What are you going to do next??"
-"I dunno. Me and Kyosuke go wherever Kairi wants to go. He takes us to places where we could improve our driving skills."
"And you've improved so much in such a short time."
-"Well yeah, I gotta admit that. But I also admit that we still have a long way to go. We're still young and we lack experience."
"Good luck to all of you."
-"..Thanks." I look up at the sky, "Whatever the future holds, I'll embrace it, and take it as a challenge not only in racing, but in life."

THE END​

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Chief Editor

=drifting24/7=

Scripwriting

=drifting24/7=

Photography

=drifting24/7=

Special Thanks to:

VTiRoj

mynameissport

Paulie

and for all those who have took the time to read this story. Thank you very much!!

Last edited:
THE END! I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank =drifting24/7= for writing this wonderful story, it's been an excellent read and I know you put a lot of effort into this, so thankyou.:bowdown::cheers:

Oh, and I gotz special thankz?:D

Great story d24/7!! 👍 But you better think of a second stage of Red-Line or I'll travel to Rizal and make you write more Red-Line stories, it is NOT The End. :P

Anyone care to donate to the save Red-Line fund?? :sly:

nice chapter 👍 Yes, I said chapter, not ending, I don't want it to be finished now :(.. If I were you, I would think of another story or making more chapters for this one ;)..

Have a nice day, best wishes and thank you very much for this 👍

The End!

It brings a tear to my eye to be able to watch a story like this go from start to finish. :D

Great race between Tori and Kyosuke. It was always kinda obvious who would've won but that didnt stop the race from being a damn good one to watch. Well written as always and I still want MORE!

No Tori and Zinaida special moment? They need to date! :lol:

Aww I was in special thanks, well thank you too. :)

THE END! I'd just like to take this opportunity to thank =drifting24/7= for writing this wonderful story, it's been an excellent read and I know you put a lot of effort into this, so thankyou.:bowdown::cheers:

Oh, and I gotz special thankz?:D

thank you.., yes you got special thanks because you gave me an idea on Chapter 25..,

DKX
Superb! *starts printing the story*

what? Gotta feed the addiction somehow...

printing?? you can't do that! that's part of my intellectual property..,

ZE AIND.

Awwww. Ah well, now I can yell at Roj to write more RTN.

Great story d24/7!! 👍 But you better think of a second stage of Red-Line or I'll travel to Rizal and make you write more Red-Line stories, it is NOT The End. :P

Anyone care to donate to the save Red-Line fund?? :sly:

:lol:

nice chapter 👍 Yes, I said chapter, not ending, I don't want it to be finished now :(.. If I were you, I would think of another story or making more chapters for this one ;)..

Have a nice day, best wishes and thank you very much for this 👍

meh thinks you forgot something.., I have yet to see Red-Line in your sig.., didn't you ask permission from me??

The End!

It brings a tear to my eye to be able to watch a story like this go from start to finish. :D

Great race between Tori and Kyosuke. It was always kinda obvious who would've won but that didnt stop the race from being a damn good one to watch. Well written as always and I still want MORE!

No Tori and Zinaida special moment? They need to date! :lol:

Aww I was in special thanks, well thank you too. :)

hmm, that won't be necessary.., you know why you're in the special thanks portion.., 👍

Congrats on the great story! You need to make another story, Red-Line is the best here.

Very very very good story, Red-Line is the best!!!👍👍👍👍

:sly::embarrassed: thank you, kind sir, that's just too much.., :)

hasn't anyone noticed the number of chapters Red-Line has?? 26, the standard length for Japanese anime.., ;)

meh thinks you forgot something.., I have yet to see Red-Line in your sig.., didn't you ask permission from me??

Yes, I did, that's right.. I tried, but it seems like I've already 300 characters in my sig :( :grumpy:..

Best wishes,

Wow, I can't believe it's over. You saw the story through to the end. Well done!

Also why didn't I get any special thanks, oh yeah thats right.
I didn't do anything lol.

So, due to insistent public demand, readers request a sequel to the *cough* most successful race report story in the GT4 sub-forums, "Red-Line" !! This time, we're collecting feedbacks and suggestions from the readers.

*Would you like the protagonist in the sequel to be:

1. Male

2. Female

vote now!! Poll ends until I say so. :D

Back