Redlining make you faster?

Does redlining each gear make you do faster times or should I just shift before the red.

In general, the answer is yes.. but you cant hit the rev-limiter offcourse.. However, lets say you are going downhill, the gravity will alson pull your car, so lesss power is needed for the same acceleration. Lets say that in the end of the downhill you need to shift up and then brake sudenly before a turn. Then you will throw away time if you wait with your up-shift, because it takes time, and then you need to brake for the corner.. its a lot of moves at the same time in a tricky situation.. if you up-shifts earlier in the downhill instead you get more time to focus on the braking-point and the down-shift.. its all about efficiant gear choices.. it also depends alot on your cars hp-curve and NM-curve.. On a high range turbo it wont be as good as on a bottom strong V8..

As has been said it depends on the car, but usually the most revs the better/faster until the limiter is hit. On a standard or non racing car more experimentation is needed to see where the best change up point is. You can see where most power is made at what RPM in the car tuning section before going on track. Even when maximum power is not at the red-line i still change up just before the limiter as i think the benefit of higher RPM on the next gear is worth it for faster pick-up.

I'm sorry for this noob question but I have to ask. :ouch:

Is driving manually in the game will give you faster lap time vs. an automative transmission? Nerve had tried manual yet because I'm always thinking automatic will be more precise and that will give me a faster lap time. Imo

I'm sorry for this noob question but I have to ask. :ouch:

Is driving manually in the game will give you faster lap time vs. an automative transmission? Nerve had tried manual yet because I'm always thinking automatic will be more precise and that will give me a faster lap time. Imo

Manual is faster for racing. Think when was the last Auto F1 or Rally or even Touring car you saw?

Manual is faster for racing. Think when was the last Auto F1 or Rally or even Touring car you saw?
You have to keep in mind that "automatic transmissions" in 99% of racing games don't behave anything like the real thing, either. They're just the computer rowing through a manual transmission for you, in mostly the same fashion that you would do yourself. So the difference is far less pronounced.

It's safe to say for the most part, that shifting as close to redline as possible will give you the most out of each gear. As said before though, it does depend on the car. Turbo cars for the most part will want higher rpms to keep the turbo spooling. I will short shift in some cars in some places. The only time I really do is if I am coming out of a corner, or approaching one where I should be shifting mid corner, full throttle. Shifting early will reduce the risk of spinning out in that case.

Let's dissect a car a bit here. I have an Evo IX GSR in my garage, rated at 340hp, 364 lb/ft torque. The torque curve drops quickly after the car hits peak power. That peak power at 340hp is at 5500rpm, and drops slowly until about 6000rpm or so, then gets a bit steeper. The torque is also dropping off quickly after peak hp. A car like this is probably better to shift before redline, maybe 500rpm before or so. The peak horsepower is at 5500rpm, so when I upshift, i want to be as close to that as possible. If I am travelling at XX speed, and in 3rd I'm bang on that 5500rpm, and in 2nd maybe I'm at 7500rpm, what's more ideal? 3rd gear probably will be because it's right at that peak power spot int he powerband.

I find listening to the engine a better gauge than eyeballing the RPM meter. Generally the engine will tell you when you need to shift, if you have the ear.

It all depends on the car as others have said. My GT by citroen needs redlining but a stock mini cooper s you shift up 500rpm before the redline. So it depends on the car as it would in real life and driving conditions.

MERRY XMAS

I've noticed that with a couple of cars, you can run them well past the redline and they don't hit the rev limiter, and continue to make good power. I think the Mitsubishi GALANT GTO MR '70 (I think?) is one of those. I was using one early in the game and it was a bit of a dog, but once I started changing gears way past the redline, it really came to life and was a lot faster.

Latest Posts

Back