Reefer Madness: Power Through the Noughties Sat 10:30pm UK time from 8th April

• Thread starter reefer
  • 235 comments
Since the Rocket was my combo pick I'm really hoping to make it to that race at least.

For consistency I'm thinking of running around 90-94% in both cars, probably nearer the higher figure. I can manage fast laps here and there but then a mistake will go and spoil it. A little more oomph will let me catch up again.

Hi @gerber (Michael) good to see you are still around. 👍

Since the Rocket was my combo pick I'm really hoping to make it to that race at least.

If you could make it Paul, that would be the first time for us to have a full compliment on the grid.

Hey,
Do you need some extra traffic this weekend? Looks like a fun combo to race

Edit: oh, setting the power limiter makes it a bit complex for a one timer. So nevermind :)

We have no space this weekend @gerber but thanks for the interest.

Down to 1:38.488 at Laguna Seca at 96%. I think 96% is just right.

The DB9 "time to shoot for" (below) has been lowered by 2 tenths. Quentin, feel free to play with your limiter to get an ultimate fastest lap in the high 1:37s.

Ibu-san, what lap times are you getting?

*****WEEK 4: 29th April*****
Times To Shoot For
Race 1: '06 Venari / Aston Martin DB9 / SH / Mazda Raceway Laguna Seca
My best lap at 86% was a 1:37.7 so the time to shoot for is +/- 0.5 on 1:38.2

Race 2: '07 IfAndOr / LCC Rocket / CS / Cape Ring South
My best lap at 86% was 1:23.9 so the time to shoot for is +/- 0.5 on 1:24.4

Surprised you think the Rocket is hard work Joe; I'm finding it to be very stable and neutral on CS. What am I missing?

Surprised you think the Rocket is hard work Joe; I'm finding it to be very stable and neutral on CS. What am I missing?

Ahh, not good joe! Written in haste, my statement is misleading. The Rocket is great Tom and the track is perfect but it's probably one of the hardest on my shoulders. Saying that though, many car/track combos kill my shoulders these days. And trying to keep up with you doesn't help! Great wheel-to-wheel racing last night Old Boy.

Last edited:
many cars/track combos kill my shoulders these days.
Do you have your force feedback settings turned up high Joe? Might be worth turning them down a notch or two.

Surprisingly technical CR south, hard to get right feels good when you do.

Watch out for Zolon in the Rocket, he loves the car.

Do you have your force feedback settings turned up high Joe? Might be worth turning them down a notch or two.

I have Force Feedback Max. Torque on 5 and Force Feedback Sensitivity on 1. I might take your advice Paul and see if tinkering with the settings help. Simple things have been a real struggle recently - even picking my nose.

Watch out for Zolon in the Rocket, he loves the car.

You're a bit of a demon in this car too.

//

Times To Shoot For

5/1 doesn't sound too bad. Of course your wheel is a bit more powerful but I was running at 3/4 without any problems. I'm currently trying out an experimental 8/2 which seems quite good.
If you haven't already done so try turning on the power steering option (in the main wheel setting menu) I find that helps reduce the counter steering force thus helping your shoulders maybe.

You're a bit of a demon in this car too.
Might be. We'll see. :)
(I can't get to your time at 86% though!)

My wheel is the same as yours Joe, and I run with the torque at 2 most of the time, which I think feels the most like a real car. Sensitivity at 5. It will take 10 to 12 laps to appreciate the different feel it gives you. When I first started using the wheel I was at 5 with the torque, based on my Logitech DFGT settings, but after a couple of weeks I noticed my fore-arms had increased substantially in girth, and Mo was complaining when I held her, even just holding her hand, saying, I didn't know my own strength. The penny dropped; I had to get that torque setting turned down. After about a month, things got back to normal, and, also, I can drive with just as much control, be fighting the car and the road with increased ease, and Mo is no longer complaining.

Thanks lads. I have the Steering Type on Simulation and run with Power-Assisted Steering set to Off. Will have a play with it at some point, cheers. The MRI showed inflammation, but whatever is causing it is anyone's guess.

Mo was complaining when I held her, even just holding her hand, saying, I didn't know my own strength. The penny dropped; I had to get that torque setting turned down.

Did you tell Mo the reason you were holding her so tightly was because of your torque setting?

Off topic: How many laps have you ever run at Silverstone. 100? 500? More? How well would you say you know the circuit? Well enough to draw it accurately?

Well, I thought I'd give you a laugh.
I'd like to see some of you guys try it, maybe Monaco!? Here's my terrible effort.

silverstone drawing.jpg

Last edited:
Times To Shoot For
I set the Aston to 88.5%, went for it for a few laps, wasn't really happy with the pace, so I came back and checked the time to aim for...

Snapshot_20170428_190654.jpg

Close enough :D

An utterly mighty effort at 89.5% with the LCC netted me a 1'24.1 after many laps which ended backwards in the scenery. I will not go faster. Ever.

Also, is it just my ears playing tricks or does the Rocket on CS literally squeal its rear tyres right up to max rpm in 5th?

Last edited:
I set the Aston to 88.5%, went for it for a few laps, wasn't really happy with the pace, so I came back and checked the time to aim for...

An utterly mighty effort at 89.5% with the LCC netted me a 1'24.1 after many laps which ended backwards in the scenery. I will not go faster. Ever.

Famine, a couple of clicks up on the limiter for both cars would have you right in the mix. I'm guessing the difference between offline and online at our tracks will be around 0.4 to 0.8 of a second. (I almost never run offline.) So feel free to adjust accordingly.

Also, is it just my ears playing tricks or does the Rocket on CS literally squeal its rear tyres right up to max rpm in 5th?

I haven't noticed, but now that you've mentioned it I'll have a listen.

Zo can't manage this weekend so @LeoStrop we need you!

Re the Spoiler in post #198 above and copied below: I'm still curious to know how well you can draw a track from memory (because I obviously can't)? The rules: you can try as many times as you want, until you're happy, just don't look before you start, or during the process. Any track is fine. With the series coming to an end next week, let's see your best "Warhol"!

I'd like to see some of you guys try it, maybe Monaco!? Here's my terrible effort.

silverstone drawing.jpg

//

Times To Shoot For

Last edited:
That was good fun racing, especially chasing Colin and fending off Longbow. One more lap and I think we would have gone through the final corner all side-by-side - possibly with Joe waiting to join in. Watch the end of lap 8 looking back from in front of Colin's car for all the fun.

Earlier in the day, I was at Shakespeare County dragstrip, and spent much of the day rather hurriedly removing, stripping, analysing, rebuilding and refitting a Mopar A-904 transmission into a 1968 Plymouth Barracuda with my drag-racing buddies.

Last night I didn't feel so bad, but this morning... I feel absolutely battered.

Couldn't get the Aston to work, but still had fun down the back with fad and tom.

Rocket good fun as always, even with an ever present venari breathing down my neck. Twice I was 90 degrees to the track sliding towards the last corner, coming to a compete halt on front of venari leaving him nowhere to go. Very lucky to get away with it.

Was glad the timer beat be to the line by a tenth as I reckon another lap would have lost me the lead.

Was side by side a good few times, lots of space given, good racing guys.

Venari's Pick - Aston Martin DB9 - Stock & Oil Handicap - Qualifying

quali.jpg

Aston Martin DB9 BHP

db9 bhp.jpg

Aston Martin DB9 - Stock & Oil Handicap - Results

db9 results.jpg

Paul's Pick - LCC Rocket - Stock & Oil Handicap - BHP

rocket bhp.jpg

LCC Rocket Race Results

rocket results.jpg

Standings After 4 Meets (8 races)

1. Longbow 147
2. joe 140
3. Famine 103
4. buybon 102
5. Quentin 76
6. suts 74
7. richy 66
8. Ibu-san 62
9. GarthTooma 54
10. Slant 51
11. fad 50
12. Venari 40
13. Zo 39
14. DC 38
15. IfAndOr 17
16. Tom_A 15

DNS
Race 1 Zo, Ibu-san, Tom_A
Race 2 Zo, Tom_A

Reserves
Paul
Leo
Al

Congrats to Longbow for the DB9 win at Laguna and Colin in the Rocket at Cape Ring!

I find Laguna hard work and have never been good there so big respect to Longbow for carrying so much speed through every corner. I just don't get the corners, they've never agreed with me, but hot lapping prior to the race was lotsa fun. Colin, you did a Bottas and took the pressure from behind, even when sideways, and managed to stave off the ever present Venaritura and LB. Well done mate.

The Rocket was just a bundle of fun, and that's another race that flew by. I don't know if you noticed at the time but I was catching you guys rapidly. I was really hoping for another lap, but it wasn't to be. (You must have missed starting a new lap by inches.)

Well, next week is our last and we have Colin's BMW M5 at Le Mans and Al's Ferrari 458 Italia at the Nurb GP/F. I'll update with the "time to shoot for" details later.

Message for Ibu-san: sorry we couldn't restart qualifying as we were already running late.

Last edited:
Oh, was it that bad Tom? I was going for the classy feeling. (I know that the 007 song and the DB9 are a bit of a misnomer, but the rest I didn't think was too bad. It usually takes me around 6 hours on average to find suitable music.)

Nah, not so's I want to hurt any feelings mate. My comments are more for comedic effect by exaggeration. Hint to save you time searching for music - YT, and search best driving songs/music. I could also introduce you to some fine smooth jazz players, mostly instrumental, with great driving grooves.

Just about anything by the Doobie Brothers, and Fleetwood Mack. Oh yeah.

Nah, not so's I want to hurt any feelings mate. My comments are more for comedic effect by exaggeration. Hint to save you time searching for music - YT, and search best driving songs/music. I could also introduce you to some fine smooth jazz players, mostly instrumental, with great driving grooves.

Just about anything by the Doobie Brothers, and Fleetwood Mack. Oh yeah.

You jokester! I know what you mean though Tom as the Cool & Jazzy quartet is certainly not for everyone. I was just trying to add a little chic to a classy car and stay away from the usual suspects.

Anyway, the videos are just me messing around, saying thanks, and giving a little back to those who have given to the madness series. They're not particularly good but the idea behind them is so that in 10 years time our Men of Speed can look back and catch that natsukashii feeling.

The problem with choosing music for a 20-minute video is that so much of it just doesn't work when added to the timeline. Many songs have a good melody or a great hook or a wonderful riff but the energy around the song/car/track combo just isn't there. Tom, re the DB9 soundtrack: just imagine you're listening to a CD in your DB9 (as you hammer around the race track w).

Results updated above:tup:

@ Joe. I disagree with what you say about your videos JK; I've said several times before that I reckon you do a v good job with them, however, lol, the Swingle Singers is a wee bit away from your usual rock and rockabilly sound tracks, so I couldn't resist a little poke at you. ;) You knows ah luvs ya!

Latest Posts

Back