Remove grinding from GT5 pls ! (vs 1.07 patch)

  • Thread starter Thread starter Merquise
  • 92 comments
  • 13,890 views
Grinding isn't the problem.

***

The problem is the lack of things to do in Aspec
Those two are directly related. If there were things to do in A-Spec (and if the rewards system wasn't so stupid), there wouldn't be any grinding.
 
Hope they don't plan on me ever buying GT6.
I'll still be chasing some exotics in GT5.
lol, only gonna hurt their sale next time. :dunce:


I'm certainly leaning that way. I've bought every version since the original. It's the main reason I ever bought any of the consoles in the first place. It's not likely that I'll be doing so in the future. When your "game" starts to feel more like "work" than your real job does, there's a problem with your "game".

Gran Turismo 5: The Real Boring Simulator™
 
Y'know, I can't help the feeling that PD's answer to "End the Grinding!" complaints will be something typically screwed up, in their usual PD way...

So to "end the grinding", they'll simply not allow the X2010 to enter any of the Indy events, or the Daytona Superspeedway, or anything where rubberband grinding can occur.

They'll claim that they've "ended grinding", missing completely the entire point of such complaints: Not that people are doing it, but that people feel the NEED to do it to get anywhere in this game!
 
While I agree with almost everything said in this thread, there is one other, MAJOR, cause of the "grind" in my opinion.

So they add new events. So they add more money.
Ok.
But, until the A.I. has some actual feeling, some actual skill, some actual A.I., ANY race we do is... subpar.

Even the "hard" races in GT right now, are only hard when the opponent's cars are better than yours by quite a lot. That's not challenging really, and it isn't exciting at all. When my first reaction to losing a race is "oh, guess this event requires more HP" (I mostly am referring to the seasonals, since losing in A-spec is actually impossible ;) ), instead of "oh, I need to race better, take this corner faster, adjust this, adjust that, etc.", THAT'S the real problem with me.

Just my thoughts.
 
Those two are directly related. If there were things to do in A-Spec (and if the rewards system wasn't so stupid), there wouldn't be any grinding.

No they aren't. Grinding is related to the exp issue.

If PD patched in a 5 lap indy race tomorrow worth 10million exp people might understand this. Everyone can be level 40 and still have nothing to do!

Or on the flip side, PD could release 18 new Aspec series (equating to another 2 whole A spec race sections), with a total of say 90-100 new races between all the series. Unless the exp on those races changes from current exp/min averages of DCC, the grind whining will continue.

Current grind whiners are nothing more than folks who want to go from 34-40 in < a week on 1-2 hours of playtime a day.
 
Last edited:
Well, it's probably meant that your garage will be somewhat unique, they don't want you to be able to buy all the cars just that easy.
I'm pretty ok with the rewards as they are now, but I agree that there should be some more content in the high levels, other than endurance races. The idea about 30 minute races sounds good, I hope to see that in a somewhat near future :)

Edit: I would also love to see some high level races with some of the less powerful cars. And some more one-make races.

Edit 2: And while you're at it, why not throw in a vintage Nurburgring endurance? THIS is racing
 
Last edited:
At no point in the game should you have gold in everything you are allowed to run in and not be allowed to enter the next event. Just ridiculous.
 
Stop crying. Start with a-spec auto grind. All you need is a X2010, everybody who need to grind are lvl 30 or higher, which means they can win the X2010. If you are not capable of winning the X2010 with the new bronze time, go play Hello Kitty Island Adventure with Butters.

With A-spec autogrinding you need to use 5 mins to rig up, perhaps 4 more mins to check if everything works well. I would say it got 30% chance to go wrong within the next 2 hours. If nothing have gone wrong in 6 hours it will most likely never go wrong.
You earn 20m on around 24hrs and probably 3-4m xp.
 
Current grind whiners are nothing more than folks who want to go from 34-40 in < a week on 1-2 hours of playtime a day.


Not really. Try going from 34 to 35 on 1-2 hours of playtime a day. Or 35 to 36. 36 to 37. 37 to 38, etc.

One or two hours per day will take months to do these things.
 
Can they also remove the grind from my job, it gets me down having to work for my reward.
 
Stop crying. Start with a-spec auto grind. All you need is a X2010, everybody who need to grind are lvl 30 or higher, which means they can win the X2010. If you are not capable of winning the X2010 with the new bronze time, go play Hello Kitty Island Adventure with Butters.

With A-spec autogrinding you need to use 5 mins to rig up, perhaps 4 more mins to check if everything works well. I would say it got 30% chance to go wrong within the next 2 hours. If nothing have gone wrong in 6 hours it will most likely never go wrong.
You earn 20m on around 24hrs and probably 3-4m xp.



Dude...
Don't you agree it's a bit rediculous people need to resort to that rubber band 'cheat' thing ?

I think a game should be designed in such a way that there is a balance between effort and reward.
Doing that 24h endurance race is noooo where near rewarding enough for me.
I can play about 3 hours a day (because I have a job), so a 24h race will take me 8 days.
In those 8 days I can't have fun at all. I can;t race with my friends, I can't earn any credits, I can't quit for 5 minutes to play Ratched and Clank because I can't save the damn race !
That 24h race will be absolute horror for me.

And I'm not the only one.
It's just ONE example of whats wrong with this game.
Grinding is a basic flaw.

Fortunately, it's a flaw that CAN be fixed with some balancing.
 
Not really. Try going from 34 to 35 on 1-2 hours of playtime a day. Or 35 to 36. 36 to 37. 37 to 38, etc.

One or two hours per day will take months to do these things.

Yes we all know that...

What exactly was your point?
 
Some days I hate grinding and other days I enjoy it because I use different cars. I don't really care about xp. All I want is cash to buy the race cars as they come up in the ucd. Today I went from 3.5 million to a little over 5 million just to get the purple Jag race car from the ocd. I wouldn't complain if they kept the xp the same but upped the cash amount from winning a race.
 
Yes we all know that...

What exactly was your point?


Your claim was that all of the "grind whiners" just want to go from 34 to 40 in a week. My point was that that isn't really possible, even if you left your PS3 on 24/7, rubberband grinding Indy day after day after day.

It's not exactly "whining" to point out that it's a bit ridiculous to have to grind for months, an hour or two per day, just to go up ONE level.

Generally speaking, most games tend to level you up when you complete the current level. They also tend to let you earn the tools you'll need BEFORE you need them. GT5, in its infinite lack of wisdom, has decided to let you level up by repeating events over and over and over and over. Just TRY levelling up from 36 to 37 without ever doing an event twice. They also have a tendency to make your prize car the exact car you really could have used to win the race they gave it to you for winning. And of course, that car isn't useful at all in the NEXT series...
 
Can they also remove the grind from my job, it gets me down having to work for my reward.


Which is kind of the point - GT5 has made a "game" into more of a "job", only you don't get paid for doing it. And if I really felt like doing the same old boring-a** s**t for 12 hours a day, I'd be at work getting paid real money for it.
 
Your claim was that all of the "grind whiners" just want to go from 34 to 40 in a week. My point was that that isn't really possible, even if you left your PS3 on 24/7, rubberband grinding Indy day after day after day.

We all know its not currently possible, thus resulting in the whining and my comments concerning.

It's not exactly "whining" to point out that it's a bit ridiculous to have to grind for months, an hour or two per day, just to go up ONE level.

There is only 1 reason anyone should be whining about grinding now; it's unlocking the last 2 endurance races. Since 1.06, by the time you have to start grinding, your level doesn't even matter anymore in relation to the game besides the 24h race access. Thats well over 95% of A spec content...

GT5, in its infinite lack of wisdom, has decided to let you level up by repeating events over and over and over and over.

Yes, it would have been nice if there was 1000 different A Spec events and you had to level to 100.

Some people would still complain because it would take a very long time to complete.

It seems there is a mental disconnect for so many people playing GT5. I really don't know any other way to say it. This game was -designed- to take a long time to complete, both in terms of leveling and garage building.
 
Last edited:
Don't get rid of the grinding, just get rid of the whole rediculous leveling rubbish. Simple.
 
It seems there is a mental disconnect for so many people playing GT5. I really don't know any other way to say it. This game was -designed- to take a long time to complete, both in terms of leveling and garage building.
That is the problem. There is probably 60 hours of actual game in GT5 (and about a fraction of that if you aren't interested in endurance races), arbitrarily stretched by the level system and rewards system into something far longer than it has any right to be.
Let me clarify this: The entire level system is a terrible idea for the series, and it is implemented in an exceedingly terrible way. But, at the very least, if there was more to actually do in the game (and if what is currently there was done better than it is), the complaints about grinding would go down because there wouldn't be as much padding to the game length. It would still be grinding, because the level system would force it no matter what. But it wouldn't bother people as much.
 
Last edited:
People like me who have a life can't get any of the super expensive cars even within a month.

Simple solution: just give us more money per race AND give us more races to do. Even I'm now destroying all the races. Played yesterday after awhile and beat the rest of the 3 races in the Expert series and now only have 3 races left in the Extreme series. Also almost done with the S license from the iB license. All within about 3 hours, yet I still can't buy even a Peugeot 908. Had to buy some other things only to be rewarded with stuff I like, but either already had and was completely useless.

And on the 24h race thing: simple, let us pause the race, do other stuff (on GT5 or PS3 in general), turn it off, then continue it later. What loser has a full day to spare? My dad still has a 24h LM race from an old game nearly 10 years ago, if he had time and wanted to, he could continue it. Simple stuff PD!
 
People like me who have a life can't get any of the super expensive cars even within a month.

Simple solution: just give us more money per race AND give us more races to do. Even I'm now destroying all the races. Played yesterday after awhile and beat the rest of the 3 races in the Expert series and now only have 3 races left in the Extreme series. Also almost done with the S license from the iB license. All within about 3 hours, yet I still can't buy even a Peugeot 908. Had to buy some other things only to be rewarded with stuff I like, but either already had and was completely useless.

And on the 24h race thing: simple, let us pause the race, do other stuff (on GT5 or PS3 in general), turn it off, then continue it later. What loser has a full day to spare? My dad still has a 24h LM race from an old game nearly 10 years ago, if he had time and wanted to, he could continue it. Simple stuff PD!

News flash buddy! WE ALL HAVE LIVES, WE ALL LIVE THEM HOW WE WANT. Are you trying to suggest something?

Honestly I hope they get this glitching etc. out of the game then make every single person have to restart. People can cry all they want and yes it may feel like a job but the cars you are seeking, why are you wanting them? It's the reward for your effort. There are other methods to getting the cars in a moral fashion it just requires some of those social skills that fill up your 'life'. Many people have offered these cars for much less or even nothing.
 
There are other methods to getting the cars in a moral fashion it just requires some of those social skills that fill up your 'life'. Many people have offered these cars for much less or even nothing.

Huh? You do realize that the whole 1m cap puts an end to that, right? I mean, even if you offer the car for nothing, you can't give it away under the new system. And you can't sell it. You can keep it, or you can delete it, period. That's your choice.


As for the game being -designed- to take years to complete, that's easy to do with any game. Remember that one level in Splinter Cell where Sam just had to keep running down the same hallway, for about 12,000 miles?

Yeah, neither do I, because that would suck and be pointless, and nobody (except PD, of course) would put something so useless into a game.
 
It seems there is a mental disconnect for so many people playing GT5. I really don't know any other way to say it. This game was -designed- to take a long time to complete, both in terms of leveling and garage building.

No, it isn't, and the utter lack of events to race is the ultimate proof of that. If GT5 was designed to be played for a long time, there would have to be at least five times as much stuff to do. As it stands, GT5 was designed to last a month or two, tops.

The XP levelling is just an artificial and cheap way to stretch longevity a couple of weeks extra, but only the hardest of hardcore apologists will suffer this travesty of a game mechanism that has no place in a proper Gran Turismo game...
 
News flash buddy! WE ALL HAVE LIVES, WE ALL LIVE THEM HOW WE WANT. Are you trying to suggest something?

Honestly I hope they get this glitching etc. out of the game then make every single person have to restart. People can cry all they want and yes it may feel like a job but the cars you are seeking, why are you wanting them? It's the reward for your effort. There are other methods to getting the cars in a moral fashion it just requires some of those social skills that fill up your 'life'. Many people have offered these cars for much less or even nothing.
"Moral" fashion?

Allow me to :lol:
 
50 BMG
It seems there is a mental disconnect for so many people playing GT5. I really don't know any other way to say it. This game was -designed- to take a long time to complete, both in terms of leveling and garage building.

No, it isn't, and the utter lack of events to race is the ultimate proof of that. If GT5 was designed to be played for a long time, there would have to be at least five times as much stuff to do. As it stands, GT5 was designed to last a month or two, tops.

Yes it is. You're referring to how long GT5 "lasts", and I'm referring to how long GT5 takes to complete the game at 99-100%. IMO, it takes way too long to get to level 40 A spec. I'd safely assume 99%+ people who own GT5 agree. It was designed that way, no if/and/but/lack of events about it.

The XP levelling is just an artificial and cheap way to stretch longevity a couple of weeks extra, but only the hardest of hardcore apologists will suffer this travesty of a game mechanism that has no place in a proper Gran Turismo game...

Spot on. I think the exp system has no real place in GT5. I ignore my Aspec level/exp and refuse to grind. There are some race series I rerun with different underpowered cars on occasion, but thats the closest I come to grinding.
 
Last edited:
They seem to of fixed grinding, they just make sure that that game craps out on you at a certain point and you have to start over. Just kidding...... Sort of.

To me, if you create a game that becomes so boring that people have to figure out ways to rig their controller with elastics so they don't have to actually play it themselves, that is kind of obvious that you screwed up big time and have an issue that needs to be addressed.

There's always going to be little parts of the game that people are annoyed with and would like changes to be made but its a little ridiculous when you have to do the exact same thing over and over again countless times just to progress through the game. Imagine playing another game where you have to play the same level a hundred times in a row to be able to get to the next one, it just wouldn't happen, only in GT5.
 
News flash buddy! WE ALL HAVE LIVES, WE ALL LIVE THEM HOW WE WANT. Are you trying to suggest something?

Honestly I hope they get this glitching etc. out of the game then make every single person have to restart. People can cry all they want and yes it may feel like a job but the cars you are seeking, why are you wanting them? It's the reward for your effort. There are other methods to getting the cars in a moral fashion it just requires some of those social skills that fill up your 'life'. Many people have offered these cars for much less or even nothing.

For the first paragraph, (and that's just my thought), as the game is at the moment only unemployed and imprissoned people which are absolutely bored to near death are likely to come up with the time which is needed. Or people who don't have to share their ps3 and can afford to keept it running for 24/7 with a rubberband for some weeks. If you don't fall into one of those categories and still have the time to grind on your own I would start worriing.

For the second paragraph. If PD would do that I would sue them at the moment I would notice. As it is now, patch 1.07 violates the law of at least my country and I'm really supprised that absolutely no one seems to notice or care.
And the reward for the effort to earn and get cars is way to small. Yes driving a Peugeaut for 4 mils. around is fun, but driving it until you earn the 4 mils again to buy another car is no reward at all, but boring as hell
 
maybe they should make a special grinding race. you could unlock it at level 25.
maybe 5 laps of daytona for 300 grand and 40,000 xp.
 
Why not let B-spec Bob do the grinding? The Dream Car Championship race at Indy takes 16 minutes in the Formula Gran Turismo (I don't have the X2010 yet), and rewards 86k credits and 20k something exp. Granted you still have to press start over and over and over, but at least it is not wasted time -- I do this while watching movies, or working on the computer, or other housework. Just take a break every 15 minutes or so and start up again, plus the wireless controller is perfect for this. Basically anytime I am home and indoors, and awake, Bob is grinding.

Now don't flame me, I understand the point of this thread is that grinding should NOT be necessary in the first place, whether it's me or Bob. But since it currently IS necessary to make money/progress in GT5, I have found that Bob is really my friend... I used to hate him. Now I let him work for my reward. :)
 
Why not let B-spec Bob do the grinding? The Dream Car Championship race at Indy takes 16 minutes in the Formula Gran Turismo (I don't have the X2010 yet), and rewards 86k credits and 20k something exp. Granted you still have to press start over and over and over, but at least it is not wasted time -- I do this while watching movies, or working on the computer, or other housework. Just take a break every 15 minutes or so and start up again, plus the wireless controller is perfect for this. Basically anytime I am home and indoors, and awake, Bob is grinding.

Now don't flame me, I understand the point of this thread is that grinding should NOT be necessary in the first place, whether it's me or Bob. But since it currently IS necessary to make money/progress in GT5, I have found that Bob is really my friend... I used to hate him. Now I let him work for my reward. :)

Well, I don't want to "destroy" your grinding tactics, but it's more efficient to do the rubberbanding trick. It's 97k every 3 minutes + 3 or 4k xp, and you don't have to come back every 15 minutes to press a button. But the problem is, when i'm not using the ps3 someone else is using it. Which makes both ways obviously impossible to do.
 
People can Agree with me or not i dont care, but what they need to do is take a good look back at GT4, take all those races and bring them over, bring the American Hall back so you can race american only cars in like 12 different races, bring the Japanese hall back so you can race the 15 races with the Japanese cars only...stuff like that, even bring ALL the Endurances and tracks over, i think the at least 17 Endurance races and all these events paid millions for them, i remember doing the 24 Hours both 1 and 2 and getting close to 2 million for each, on GT5 i think it was somewhere near 1.3 million for each
 
Back