Replay record Complete?

• Thread starter Foamy
  • 17 comments
It does exactly as it says on the screen. It can't store any more of the replay, so anything after that point is not going to be saved.

Fletch
I have seen that a lot of times, I think that GT4 can only record ~40min in one reply.
I think it varies from track to track. I remember at the 'ring it recorded 1hr 25min. At Opera Paris the length was different (can't remember that length, just that it wasn't the same).

It might depend on the track, or maybe distance covered?

It depends on driver input.

Lots of corners in a short space of time = lots of driver input. Lots of straights (like Hunaudieres) = not as much driver input.

Actually I had a theory on this, for me it varies so much and I wondered why?

Well after some thinking it occured to me that what ever space is left on your memory card determines how much is recorded, because thats where it's saved to right?

eastley
Actually I had a theory on this, for me it varies so much and I wondered why?

Well after some thinking it occured to me that what ever space is left on your memory card determines how much is recorded, because thats where it's saved to right?

Nope.

It's only saved to there when you TELL it to save it to there. Like, after the race.

The PS2 has no harddisk, so I it stores in it's memory, which if it stores too long affects the gameplay, so it stoppes right before it affects your gameplay/

Great theory, but on a 4Mb-free memory card it still won't exceed about 250kb for a replay.

Honestly, it's down to driver input. It'll last a LOT longer on La Sarthe I, where a full minute is driving in a straight line, than on Grand Canyon.

I think Famine is talkin about all the camera changes when your goin around a bunch of corners rather than one or two cameras for one straight.

?

I didn't say anything about cameras. That was Daddybird.

You gotta understand how replays are stored, and then you'll understand what Famine is saying.

The replay is NOT a file full of movies of your races. There is NO imagery stored in a replay file. It is a file full of data about the cars at consecutive points in time: their position, direction of travel, speed, control position, etc. When you view the replay, all this data is computed and rendered, just like it was during the actual race. Replays are NOT stored on a memory card while you race; those are way too slow to keep up with a real-time data flow. Therefore, having a big empty memory card will have no bearing on the length of replay that can be recorded. The replay data is stored in a reserved area of internal memory until it runs out of space, at which time it simply stops recording replay data displays the message in question. What it had up to that point is available for you to view or save if you want.

Now, understanding that, it's clear that the PS2 can only keep a finite number of data points in memory when it's recording the race for your replay, and that finite amount is not near enough to record an entire endurance race. It's also not necessarily a given amount of time, but dependant on how much memory is available after it's set up everything else it needs to do to run the race, like load track and car data, generate images, maybe frame buffers, whatever it is that has to be done in memory. I haven't examined it (nor do I care to), but it wouldn't surprise me to see that it could record a much longer replay during the Tsukuba 9-hour than the Nurburgring 24-hour.

Famine
Great theory, but on a 4Mb-free memory card it still won't exceed about 250kb for a replay.

Honestly, it's down to driver input. It'll last a LOT longer on La Sarthe I, where a full minute is driving in a straight line, than on Grand Canyon.

💡 You're probably right, Famine. I B-specced the 'Ring 24hr race and saved the replay (just to see how well the F1 could kick there ***). The replay only showed 8 hours of it. And in contrast, i ran 500 laps of the test course (almost 12 & 1/2 hours) with my F1, yet it showed the whole thing. So, i'm guessing a more technical track requires more data in the replay than a less technical one. Seems logical to me, although it's probably more complex than that...

FormulaGT

Famine's right -- the replays work by recording your gas, brake, and steering inputs, and telling the game to play them back again in real-time every time you watch the replay.

That's why replays recorded with gamesharked cars or whatnot are all messed up when you play them back without the cheats.

Back