Formula 1 Gulf Air Bahrain Grand Prix 2024 (Saturday race)Formula 1 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 158 comments
It's amazing how such a close qualifying can end up with such a spread field. These "close racing" regulations have been crap, bring back 2021 regs

It's amazing how such a close qualifying can end up with such a spread field. These "close racing" regulations have been crap, bring back 2021 regs

Yes, making the cars bigger is not going well. I think the 2009 regulations were on the right track.

Shockingly Ferrari finished 3rd and 4th. Good job for them.

I shouldn't be surprised that Newey made the redesign work. Good job to Red Bull for P1 and 2.

Glad Sainz took the initiative and got past Charles for P3. And DOTD, to boot? Nice. Kinda surprised they managed P3 and 4, what with Charles' issues and all.

Solid points for McLaren, so that's nice. Things looked very tight with them and the Mercs.

I wanted Ricciardo and Albon to have better races.

Do the directors not like the Podium or something? We had stupid graphics as the drivers walked out, constant cuts to the team members that were longer than the shots of the drivers accepting their trophies, and then the spraying celebrations were just a helicopter shot of obnoxious fireworks. The Podium is supposed to be the special moment where drivers celebrate and emotions are on show as they get to be the centre of focus outside their cars for a few minutes. That was really poor footage of the podium and it better not continue.

I tuned in for a little before stepping back and I’m not surprised by the results. A pretty boring race.

1709398662994.jpeg

I know it's only the first race and sounds like some of the teams were dealing with issues but to have Max and red bull thoroughly wiping the floor with everyone yet again is a bit disappointment. Good job to them for being consistently that good but at the same time, I had hope things were a lot closer with everyone else and not see Max a full pit stop ahead at the end. Jeremy Clarkson said he thought it was odd that even though it is a different year but looking at the last year result, the gap is still more or less the same despite all the growth and updates from the team and I'm inclined to say he might be right 😮‍💨

Was watching an overview of the 2010 season to get hyped for this one....not recommended.

Still, it was an OK race if we discount Max/RBR.

Ready for 23 more Dutch national anthems, lads?

Nah because I'm not even bothering with F1 anymore. IndyCar and WEC offer vastly superior on track products. There's a sliver of hope for 2026 but I wouldn't hold my breath. Modern F1 has become utter trash now.

Last edited:
Great drive by Max. Some good racing shenanigans by Sainz. Leclerc has a demon and the Kicks look great under the lights.

And that was it for today.

It was not a great race to watch unless you are a Red Bull fan. Almost everyone was expecting Max to win the race but Checo also put up a show in today's race after not doing great in the qualifying yesterday.

It was dire. Not to knock another grand chelem from Max, but to win at a canter with 20+ seconds in the pocket ahead of your teammate does not make for racing. It's an indictment that the opposition still can't do anything meaningful to give RBR a run for their money.

All we can cling to at the moment is that Ferrari and Mercedes both had issues through the race, cooling was evidently a problem and they kept pace with Perez.

Can only get better right?

Come on people... Was anyone really expecting this season to be any closer than last year?

RBR were already so far ahead of the entire field last year, there was no way others could make up that much of a gap.

RBR were already so far ahead of the entire field last year, there was no way others could make up that much of a gap.
Not even with just 63% of the wind-tunnel time. That extra penalty is really hurting them this season like everyone predicted.

Come on people... Was anyone really expecting this season to be any closer than last year?

Hope is all people have.

Mercedes stomped an entire era, but still had Rosberg getting multiple wins and poles every year and even won a title. Vettel was stiff competition for a couple years.

Verstappen will keep jogging off in the distance with Perez and struggling Ferrari and Mercedes as the only competition.

Last edited:
Hope is all people have.

Mercedes stomped an entire era, but still had Rosberg getting multiple wins and poles every year and even won a title. Vettel was stiff competition for a couple years.

Verstappen will keep jogging off in the distance with Perez and struggling Ferrari and Mercedes as the only competition.
I see a lot of comments from people saying that "what about when Lewis and Mercedes dominated the sport?" anytime someone says something against Max and Red bull winning and the above point you made seems to be the thing that a lot of people just choose to forget.

When Lewis was "dominating", there was always competition. Yes, it was intra team but at least someone else besides Lewis was winning. When Rosberg left, Vettel and Ferrari stepped up and we also had Max and Red Bull always there or there about. But now, we've got nothing at the front besides one driver literally winning everything. I'm not taking anything away from Max because he's driving very beautifully and Red Bull as a team are firing on all cylinders right now. A very impressive showing indeed and hats off to all of them because not even Mercedes was that good during their winning years. But still, today performance already made me a lot more pessimistic about the rest of the season...I hope the other teams and drivers will prove me wrong.

Back