Resident Evil 2: Remake

• Thread starter 1alexie
  • 65 comments
I'm a RE fan. RE2 not only was the first RE I played, but still is my favorite. I have waited 18 years for this remake and from what I've seen so far, it blew my expectations.

Some people are upset because there are no tank controls and fixed camera, but after almost two decades of gaming technology evolution, that wound't do this game justice.

I am super hyped.

I’m not sure how to feel about this just yet, too early to tell. My first reaction was they are changing it too much from the original. The new camera perspective is okay (though I would love to see an option for the fixed cameras again to feel like the old game), but they flat out said in an E3 interview that the game won’t be completely faithful to the original even changing areas enough to be unfamiliar and relocating enemies/ set pieces (all this makes sense if you want to play a horror game and not know what to expect). That can be a good or bad thing. If you want it to be a prettier version of the original, this might not be that game. If you are looking for a modern RE game with some similarities to the original then this is it.

I am a big fan of the RE series, but I was expecting something along the lines of the first Resident Evil remake (as in the Gamecube version and HD ones after). As much as I enjoyed RE4 onwards and even the drastically different RE7, the fixed camera original, RE2, RE3, Code Veronica and RE0 were the glory days of the series if you ask me. The series is changing all the time, so I am excited to see how this remake shapes up.

I've been watching gameplay videos ever since the first trailer hoping to see new parts of the RPD not explored yet. I am SOOOO happy to finally see this announced and comfirmed for a release date! My favorite Resident Evil title finally getting remade! I can't wait until later when they start showing the other monsters (hopefully) including William Birkin's G-Virus transformations.

With that said, I'll give my thoughts. I am honestly torn about the camera choice, I personally am glad they're going back to the OTS as I preferred that to the 1st person perspective. I like having a view of the character I'm play as through the story. At the same time, I really was wishing they would go back to the classic camera aswell since the remasters of RE0 and RE1 Remake did relatively well. I mean, I thought that setup plus the option to go with free lance controls rather than tank was a nice compromise.

Aside from that, I am loving how it looks so far from the gameplay; it is what I have expected and wanted from a RE2 Remake. What I loved about RE1's Remake was that capcom didn't just take the game and give it better graphics, but also added new places in the game to explore plus change around the puzzles enough to throw off Resi veterans. Resident Evil 2 from the looks of it is doing just that, the RPD in a few places so far still looks familiar to me, but different at the same time. They added new rooms, moved some of the old ones around, and there seems to be new items along with mechanics put into play. I'll see what happens in the later parts of the year, but it is looking GREAT so far imo.

With that said, I'll give my thoughts. I am honestly torn about the camera choice, I personally am glad they're going back to the OTS as I preferred that to the 1st person perspective. I like having a view of the character I'm play as through the story. At the same time, I really was wishing they would go back to the classic camera aswell since the remasters of RE0 and RE1 Remake did relatively well. I mean, I thought that setup plus the option to go with free lance controls rather than tank was a nice compromise.
I'm still hoping they have the option to do the fixed camera, for those wanted to re-experience the original RE2. But I dunno if they would bother to make a game that works both in the 3rd person perspective or from a fixed camera. Who knows, they did have the fixed camera easter egg in RE5 Lost Nightmares DLC, after all.

The 4th Survivor and Tofu Survivor are comfirmed to be in the game at launch along with the giant Alligator.

Looks like this has been deleted by youtube, and geez I failed to check it out.
Well, that's a shame. I assure you though that they're comfired, the guy saying it was quoting from the guy behind the Remake in teh first place.

----
Speaking of, I all of the sudden want this game even more! Elements from the scraped build of RE2 would be fantastic!
https://screenrant.com/resident-evil-2-remake-deleted-scenes-characters/

EDIT: I feel silly for not noticing these as I've been obsessed with this RE2's development cycle:

Last edited:
I'm with the grumpy old men on this one. I'm disappointed that the old fixed camera isn't being used. OK, it's an antiquated system, but it's also what made the RE series so distinct. And we have buckets of games with 1st or 3rd person perspective. I think the producers didn't have the courage to stick with the old form. It worked perfectly well with the modern versions of RE and RE 0.

Also played the demo, and was impressed.

Originally I was grumbling about the 3rd person camera being used instead of the old traditional fixed camera, but in fact I don't really mind now after playing the demo.

Glad to see the "magic" item boxes were kept. Also, it appears that the manual saving system at the typewriter is back.

My only complaint is that it was a bit too gory for me. The scene were that policeman gets cut in half was totally unnecessary. I've no interest in seeing a detailed view of the inside of somebody's guts.

Originally I was grumbling about the 3rd person camera being used instead of the old traditional fixed camera, but in fact I don't really mind now after playing the demo.
I'm still hoping later down the road they add a fixed camera option, I mean, how hard can it be? It would be a fun throwback to the original game. Heck they added a fixed camera easter egg to Resident Evil 5's "Lost in Nightmares" DLC, after all.

As for the demo, I really enjoyed it (played it twice on 2 accounts), but of course the 30 minute countdown made me feel rushed. I thought the police station felt familiar but changed enough to feel new. They seemed to shift items around and rooms, too, but there were areas that immediately felt like the original game. Being a big RE fan over the years, it’s good to go back to the simple roots of the series.

For me, playing on PS4, I did have issues aiming the weapon (as I did in RE7, which uses the same engine I imagine) and didn’t get to mess around with the sensitivity settings, but overall it felt difficult to shoot enemies. Course, with more time I would get used to it.

I had the game pre-ordered before the demo, but happy I did. Sadly I am out of town for 2 weeks and can’t play it at launch anyways. :(

I didn't rush and only got as far as the dead body you see before the licker. Then the screen went dark. You've played for 30 minutes. Noooooooo!

I think they could add first person mode as well as flick screen.

I'm still hoping later down the road they add a fixed camera option, I mean, how hard can it be? It would be a fun throwback to the original game. Heck they added a fixed camera easter egg to Resident Evil 5's "Lost in Nightmares" DLC, after all.
To be honest, it would probably require a complete rework of some major parts of the game. One being the aiming in particular.

To be honest, it would probably require a complete rework of some major parts of the game. One being the aiming in particular.
Now that I think about it, yeah, probably right. With the old controls you could never move while aiming, either. My first thought was they would only have to fix cameras all over the place and program in some camera changes, is all. Not so!

As unlikely as it would be for them to do it, I still would love to see it.

Now that I think about it, yeah, probably right. With the old controls you could never move while aiming, either. My first thought was they would only have to fix cameras all over the place and program in some camera changes, is all. Not so!

As unlikely as it would be for them to do it, I still would love to see it.
Maybe they thought about this ahead of time and got something sorted. One could hope!

I enjoyed the One-Shot Demo last week myself, got annoyed that well it really was "one-shot".

It's as I expected from watching all of the gameplay footage, it felt familiar, but also fresh at the same time. It felt...well...similar to Resident Evil Remake in terms of gameplay. Just with a different camera style and I'm still okay with it. It was nice to get back into exploring a place to find items while fighting off zombies again. Ugh, just one more week and I can get the full game.

I wasn't trying to beat it as much as I was trying to see what changed between the original and this version (which was a lot more than I thought). Kept searching and exploring a lot as getting lost caused me to die. I am going to have problems with this game initially because I knew everything about RE2, and there are so many similar-but-different things/locations in this version (locations/item placement/enemy location) it's going to cause me to second guess. Even the Evidence Room "puzzle" stumped me because it didn't exist in RE2.

I just got the game tonight and was absolutely thrilled. It's so far what I was hoping for in a Remake.
As said before, I loved that new rooms were added to the RPD like how new areas were added to the mansion in RE1's Remake. I hope this continues into the Umbrella Lab, maybe perhaps there will be scrapped rooms from RE1.5. I'll also noticed more shutter doors during my playthrough, really reminding me of 1.5. The window boarding mechanic is genus, making me think about strategies on what windows to board up.

I decided to stop for now and continue tomorrow after I go to my job interview.

Just got back and I noticed a few small details about RE2 Remake.

- The sound effects of the Cerberus and Lickers sound like they reused effects from previous RE games. The dogs sound like the wolves from RE4 and the lickers sound similar to their counterparts in RE5.
- There's a few rooms that are reminding me a bit of RE1.5 like the parking garage and the basement hallways.

I noticed it has got some extremely good reviews all round. I think the lowest score was 80%, with many at 100% or near enough.
Reading the reviews, the only thing which I am worried about is the ever present threat of "Mr X" whose function is just to make you run away or get killed. I think it might interrupt the fluidity of the game and be a source of frustration. I like to take my time to wander around and explore while defeating zombies. I don't want this bugger turning up all the time out of the blue to spoil my mood and stress me out and mess up my plans. I don't mind being scared and enjoy jump shocks, but in the end I like to kill my enemies.

Might be wrong of course. I bought the game alright but will start playing it tomorrow.

Yeah, Mr .X is kinda ruining the game for me. He shows up at the worst times and sometimes won't budge from the area that you need to get to. Same with the Lickers. The best part though is when they BOTH show up. Good times.

It's best not to sprint around the Police Department when you're doing menial tasks after he shows up.

Last edited:
Back