[RESOLVED!!!] Unattainable White/Green Dodge Viper GTS-R?

• Thread starter Thomas M
  • 34 comments
United States
Farmingville, NY
Hello, and welcome to my first post on GTPlanet! :cheers:

I’ve been competing in the US - Japan Sports Car Championship and I’ve been unable to acquire the White/Green Dodge Viper GTS-R. By now, I’ve competed in this event probably close to 100 times over the past year and I’ve had no luck. I’m just getting started on this quest again. I’m on Day 1408 in Game Days. Now, I will be keeping track of my prize cars each time I compete and I will be updating this thread daily. Yes, I have a lot of time on my hands - Coronavirus prevention/social distancing :lol:

What’s the deal here?

I have the NTSC U/C version of the game.

I will provide any other details necessary.

Thanks, wish me luck!

Awarded Cars

Black font: Primary Game Save
Green font: Secondary Game Save

1st attempt: Black Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
2nd attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
3rd attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
4th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
5th attempt: Green Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
6th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
7th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
8th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
9th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
10th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
11th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
12th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
13th attempt: Black Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
14th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
15th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
16th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
17th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
18th attempt: Black Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
19th attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
20th attempt: Black Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
21st attempt: Black Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
22nd attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
23rd attempt: White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
24th attempt (1st attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
25th attempt (2nd attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
26th attempt (3rd attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
27th attempt (4th attempt on new Memory Card): Black Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
28th attempt (5th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
29th attempt (6th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
30th attempt (7th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
31st attempt (8th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R

32nd attempt (9th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
33rd attempt (10th attempt on new Memory Card): Black Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
34th attempt (11th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
35th attempt (12th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
36th attempt (13th attempt on new Memory Card): Black Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
37th attempt (14th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
38th attempt (15th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
39th attempt (16th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
40th attempt (17th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
41st attempt (18th attempt on new Memory Card): Black Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
42nd attempt (19th attempt on new Memory Card): Black Mitsubishi FTO LM Edition
43rd attempt (20th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
44th attempt (21st attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
45th attempt (22nd attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
46th attempt (23rd attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R
47th attempt (24th attempt on new Memory Card): White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R

********** 48TH ATTEMPT: WHITE/GREEN DODGE VIPER GTS-R **********

Last edited:
Oooh jeebus. Good luck! xD
Despite it being as far as we're aware 100% RNG (the prizes are simply car IDs, there's no parameters for them known) lots of people have trouble getting some colors. For me on PAL it's always been the red CRX LM and the Green FTO LM. Those 2 i've had so much trouble getting.

Oooh jeebus. Good luck! xD
Despite it being as far as we're aware 100% RNG (the prizes are simply car IDs, there's no parameters for them known) lots of people have trouble getting some colors. For me on PAL it's always been the red CRX LM and the Green FTO LM. Those 2 i've had so much trouble getting.
Yes, the Green FTO took a while for me to acquire as well... But now that I have it, it’s definitely my most used car in my garage.

I want the White/Green colorway in particular because that’s the color most similar to the car that competed in the 1996 Le Mans event. And it’s not a proper GT game without a Team Oreca Viper 👍

I plan on completing this event another 100 times but that’s it...

It makes me wonder if this car is only awarded during a certain time period of Game Days... But that would defeat the principle of randomly generated prize cars.

Best,

Hi,

Little something to add to the mysterious prize cars attribution system: try with a "weird" car, a Cosmo 20b for example, or Subaru SVX, or even a N.A. 2WD Skyline... Sometimes it helps (at least it's my superstition!) to obtain the "other" color.

I've been struggling to grab the red Cr-X Del Sol to a point that I was more or less testing all cars available in the game, until the day I ran the series with a used Supra SZ-R (atmospheric one, who in the world cares about that car?). Guess what? I got the Red Cr-X. Applied the same technique for the Yellow Copperhead and the Purple RX-7, and maybe it's still superstition, but it seemed it worked...

I had the same problem when I tried to win a yellow dodge concept, but always won only purple.
I had another memorycard where I already had a yellow one, and after booting from it, I made several attempts.
And what do you think? I could not win purple even with 10 attempts!

I think, You just CANT get all colors in ONE game. Only if you buy it from another memorycard.

It's kind of feature because of bug. If you buy yellow dodge concept from another game save (if you had purple) and apply saved vehicle settings on it from another car color - the car will change color. Magic. Or bug.

I think the same thing here with this Vipers

UPD:
Video how it looks

I just save yellow settings and load them on purple so i have 2 yellow cars ;)

Last edited:
Hi,

Little something to add to the mysterious prize cars attribution system: try with a "weird" car, a Cosmo 20b for example, or Subaru SVX, or even a N.A. 2WD Skyline... Sometimes it helps (at least it's my superstition!) to obtain the "other" color.

I've been struggling to grab the red Cr-X Del Sol to a point that I was more or less testing all cars available in the game, until the day I ran the series with a used Supra SZ-R (atmospheric one, who in the world cares about that car?). Guess what? I got the Red Cr-X. Applied the same technique for the Yellow Copperhead and the Purple RX-7, and maybe it's still superstition, but it seemed it worked...
Hey, whatever works :lol:

I will try an oddball car after another 2 runs with my FTO LM.
I was looking at the full car list for the game, and after deciding the Toyota *CORONA* Exiv 200GT will bring me more bad luck than good (you wanna talk about superstitions...) I figured I’ll tune up a Nissan Pulsar GTi-R and see what she can do for me!

Open and willing to try all ideas, guys! Keep them coming.

Take care of yourselves,

I have only attempted for each event of the nations and I have won the FTO LM in green, CRX-Del-Sol LM in red & CopperHead LM in yellow.

In the second attempt I managed to have the FTO LM in black because I wanted it in that color!

I keep note of the Entry Lists as they appear before you start the first race. I’m trying to see if there is a connection between that initial Entry List and the prize car that is awarded as a result.

So far, the Entry Lists have repeated twice, on the 7th and 10th attempt, and on the 11th, 12th, and 13th attempt. However, on the three-peat, they awarded different cars. The 11th and 12th attempt awarded a white/blue Viper, and the 13th attempt rewarded a black FTO.

Does the three-peat defeat this connection? Or each initial Entry List can award both cars, but only in one of the colorways... I will need to test more to figure this out.

I will be making my next attempts on an Entry List that awarded a white/green Viper in a video I saw on YouTube.

The Entry List was:
(R) Impreza RLY Edition
(R) Corvette ‘96 GS
(R) Viper GTS
(R) GTO twinturbo
(R) Nismo 400R

He used a Camaro Z28 30th edition, but I don’t suspect a connection in the car you race with... yet :lol:

Really grasping at straws at this point... On 17 attempts, I’ve won the white/blue Viper 14 times... Are prize cars REALLY generated randomly in my case?

At some point, I may need to get another memory card/game save into the mix and start trying on that save... Because we can’t really rule out the fact that the white/green Viper may not be awarded after a certain Game Day.

I’ll keep everyone posted. Wish me luck!

Edit: My 17th and 18th attempts were with the Entry List above and yielded a black FTO and a white/blue Viper... Another theory squashed.

Last edited:
What the ... that's a weird bug o.O
But no, all colors are available at all times, but the RNG is pretty weird. I wouldn't put it past PD to have glitched it up a bit.

By the way, the Viper in green is a Team Canaska-inpired livery, from 1996. The Blue one was indeed Team Oreca however, same year ^^
https://www.racingsportscars.com/type/photo/Chrysler/Viper.html

Additional stuff: the Blue Viper GTS RM is a 97 car from the team Chamberlain Engineering and the red... well i have no proof of a red car older than Team Oreca's livery from 2000 onwards. It might be a huge coincidence of sorts.

By the way, the Viper in green is a Team Canaska-inpired livery, from 1996. The Blue one was indeed Team Oreca however, same year ^^
https://www.racingsportscars.com/type/photo/Chrysler/Viper.html

Additional stuff: the Blue Viper GTS RM is a 97 car from the team Chamberlain Engineering and the red... well i have no proof of a red car older than Team Oreca's livery from 2000 onwards. It might be a huge coincidence of sorts.

I appreciate that research! Here I am saying the White/Green colorway is Team Oreca, meanwhile it’s Team Canaska... And like you said, White/Blue is in fact Team Oreca.

So perhaps the Blue/White colorway is the one I should have settled on this whole time :lol:

For the sake of trying to figure out the prize generation in this game, I will continue to complete this event (definitely not as frequently as I have been, because it has gotten VERY boring), but I am curious as to if it’s even possible to win this White/Green colorway on my current game save... I’m starting to suspect that there is a glitch here preventing me from winning the White/Green colorway since it’s after a certain game day... Whatever that day is. I also wonder if this applies to any of the other prize cars in the other events.

Eventually I will get another memory card/game save into the mix and see if that solves anything.

I wouldn't be surprised by a glitch, but i'm not aware of any currently. All i know really is that car prizes are just a car ID, nothing can be predetermined like colors or else. Personally, i've always gotten more White/Blue than White/Green ones

This might very well be placebo or some kind of psychological trick, but back when I last played through this game I got the "alternate" colors of the prize race cars by watching the end credits FMV once during the session. It sounded silly at first but I was pleasantly surprised in the end.

I think I'm with Mouc in the "Can't seem to get the red CR-X LM" camp. I got the blue and green Vipers, the yellow and purple Concept Cars and I think I eventually got the green FTO too after having the black one since the beginning.

It's been a long time since I've had Gran Turismo on though so I'd need to check and confirm that.

Hello,

So I purchased a new memory card and I'm gonna be adding it to the mix. Started a fresh save on the new memory card. We'll see if this brings me better luck.

I will continue to edit the first post after each race. I will use a different font color to help differentiate the two game saves.

I have a good feeling about this. :D

Running my first attempt on Game Day 21 in a White/Blue Dodge Viper GTS-R I traded from my other memory card.

Stay tuned for the findings!

Oreca was already running a red/white car in 1999 ALMS season, which makes the color scheme retroactively period correct for GT2:
3783389660_253a07208c.jpg

(Date of photography: October 1999)

But anyway, the reason is that every race car/mod in GT1 (except Chaser LM, for some reason) are tied to an unwritten rule requiring them to exactly have two colors.

10 attempts in on the new game save, not much news... And I thought this could have been the answer. :lol:

I continue to find myself in these ruts of the White/Blue Vipers. Through 10 attempts, I've won the White/Blue Viper 8 times, and the Black FTO twice. These are similar results compared to the original game save I was playing on.

Interestingly enough, through my 33 overall attempts, the Green FTO has only appeared once.

My assumption so far -
White/Blue Viper = Common
Black FTO = Rare
Green FTO = Very Rare
White/Green Viper = Unattainable?

My next theory - Could it just be a glitch on the version of the game I'm playing? I don't think the White/Green Viper is unattainable on NTSC U/C per se, but is it because I'm playing on the Greatest Hits version? I play on an original PSOne.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

10 attempts in on the new game save, not much news... And I thought this could have been the answer. :lol:

I continue to find myself in these ruts of the White/Blue Vipers. Through 10 attempts, I've won the White/Blue Viper 8 times, and the Black FTO twice. These are similar results compared to the original game save I was playing on.

Interestingly enough, through my 33 overall attempts, the Green FTO has only appeared once.

My assumption so far -
White/Blue Viper = Common
Black FTO = Rare
Green FTO = Very Rare
White/Green Viper = Unattainable?

My next theory - Could it just be a glitch on the version of the game I'm playing? I don't think the White/Green Viper is unattainable on NTSC U/C per se, but is it because I'm playing on the Greatest Hits version? I play on an original PSOne.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

You'll get it sometime, you just need to keep trying. And trying. And trying. Hang in there!

Agreed with GT Veteran...
During my Holy Quest for all Prize Cars, I needed to compete more than 60 times in the corresponding series to get the Bloody Red DelSol CR-X of Doom :mad:
I'm still thinking the car you drive has an influence. Back in the days, I won the Red DelSol with an [R]'95 N.A. Supra, and recently I got a green FTO (only had once yet in more than 4500 game days) with an [R]Lantis... But I know I'm crazy, forgot to take my lil' white/blue pill this morning - sorry Doc I promise I'll be serious :)

The PAL version I play with is the "Platinum" thing here

Do you compete in another event between the tries?
Good question. Not since I started this "quest," but at one point I was trying to break it up by competing in other events in hopes that it would get me out of these ruts of repeating prize cars, but it had no effect.

Hello,

It seems my first post on this thread was getting too long because of all the details I was adding, to the point that it was no longer letting me edit the thread... (I'm new to forums in general, so I didn't think that would be an issue, nor could I think of a better idea of laying out the data for you guys... :lol:)

Not to mention, it seems that Entry Lists, Game Days, and the car that you use has no effect on what prize car you win.

So I will continue to collect that data myself, but I will limit the 1st post only to what cars I'm winning.

Still no luck yet!

This might very well be placebo or some kind of psychological trick, but back when I last played through this game I got the "alternate" colors of the prize race cars by watching the end credits FMV once during the session. It sounded silly at first but I was pleasantly surprised in the end.

Absolutely incredible. AT LAST... On my 48th attempt (since I started keeping track)... I GOT THE WHITE/GREEN VIPER!!! :dopey::bowdown::cheers:

I decided to take a break from the grind and I played through the GT World Cup and completed the Arcade Mode on Difficult to unlock all of the bonus items, but most importantly, access to the Ending Movie.

On my FIRST attempt at US VS JP after watching the Ending Movie, I got the Viper!

This may be a connection rather than a coincidence!

I also read in https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/yellow-concept-car.130053/page-2, at the top of the second page, edward_v12 has an image of a Gran Turismo strategy guide in Japanese suggesting to watch the Ending Movie before racing for a rare prize car. If anyone here knows Japanese and could give a better interpretation of what is said on that column of the book, that would be great!

I will continue to post some more findings on this thread... I want the Red del Sol LM (which from what I understand, is a rare car) and the Red Cerbera LM. We'll see how long it takes me to get these.

Thanks MMRivit for the advice! Wish I had taken it sooner! :lol:

Edit (update):
Through 3 attempts of UK VS JP, watching the Ending Movie between each attempt
1st - Green Cerbera LM
2nd - Black del Sol LM
3rd - THE NOTORIOUSLY RARE Red del Sol LM :lol: 👍

Last edited:
:cheers:
I just totally don't remember if I finished the game (to watch the ending movie, 'cause I never play arcade mode neither "visit" it) before getting the red Del Sol, the Yellow Copperhead or the Purple RX-7.
But it's totally plausible, because it's so boring to play 10 successive times the same series... You know that! ;)
I also remember that at the beginning of my game, I decided to only win the prize cars of US & UK manufacturers. Could explain why I quickly got the green GTS-R, as it was early in the game days (corresponds to what @SportWagon writes here , and I agree with this statement).
It's cool you finally got it :)

:cheers:
I just totally don't remember if I finished the game (to watch the ending movie, 'cause I never play arcade mode neither "visit" it)...

It's cool you finally got it :)

You unlock the Ending movie when you finish the World Championship I'm pretty sure. In any case you don't need to have done any of the Arcade mode races to get it.

Well done @Thomas M!

Thank you guys!

@GTveteran and @Mouc, the Ending Movie automatically plays after you win the GT World Cup, but the only way you’ll be able to view it again is by winning on all 8 tracks in each car class on at least Normal Difficulty in Arcade Mode. It’s then unlocked in Bonus Items for future viewings.

@Mouc, as far as Game Days go, it didn’t seem to make a difference... The whole purpose of me starting my other game save on another memory card was to, in a sense, go back in time because my main game save was already in the thousands of Game Days. On my new game save, 24 attempts through the very early Game Days (I think I made it to 170 Game Days) didn’t produce what I was looking for.

For the record, I actually won the White/Green Viper on my main game save... On Day 1659. I chose to complete Arcade Mode and the GT World Cup on this save, because it is my MAIN game save, after all...

I wish Gran Turismo 1 had more of an active gaming community so we had more people to test our theories... But I’m now convinced that this Ending Movie is a streak breaker. You can see on my first post the streaks of White/Blue Vipers I would get, and it suddenly ended after watching the movie.

I will be playing around with the country VS country championships, watching the Ending Movie between each attempt, to see if I go back on any streaks like I used to.

You know what, I might as well try and see how many times it takes me to win both colors or all those LM editions

EDIT: Did 30 runs with a start on lap 3 code active because i really can't do this many otherwise without dying internally lol

I'll give it an other 30 tries but with the GTWorld completed to see if it's any different. And for good measure, might as well use the same cars.

so far only Black FTO and Blue Viper. Weiiiiird

day 38 start, no GTW win
prize (Car used)
1: FTO LM Black (GTO LM)
2: Viper GTS-R Blue (GTO 92 TT)
3: Viper GTS-R Blue (Skyline R33 GTS25T)
4: FTO LM Black (Legacy GT-B)
5: Viper GTS-R Blue (RX7 LM)
6: Viper GTS-R Blue (MR2 GT-S)
7: Viper GTS-R Blue (NSX-R)
8: Viper GTS-R Blue (NSX-R LM GT2)
9: Viper GTS-R Blue (Corvette C4 GS)
10: FTO LM Black (FTO LM)
11: FTO LM Black (Viper GTS-R)
12: FTO LM Black (Viper RT)
13: Viper GTS-R Blue (Impreza Type R)
14: FTO LM Black (GTR-LM)
15: FTO LM Black (CR-X EF8)
16: FTO LM Black (CSGT)
17: Viper GTS-R Blue (Viper GTS)
18: FTO LM Black (Viper GTS-R)
19: Viper GTS-R Blue (AE86 Levin)
20: Viper GTS-R Blue (Impreza STI II)
21: Viper GTS-R Blue (180SX 94)
22: FTO LM Black (MA70)
23: Viper GTS-R Blue (RX7 Type R 91)
24: Viper GTS-R Blue (Camaro)
25: Viper GTS-R Blue (Starlet)
26: Viper GTS-R Blue (Galant VRG)
27: FTO LM Black (Evo III)
28: FTO LM Black (Civic Ferio SI-II)
29: FTO LM Black (FTO LM)
30: FTO LM Black (Impreza RE)

Last edited:
Thank you guys!
@GTveteran and @Mouc, the Ending Movie automatically plays after you win the GT World Cup, but the only way you’ll be able to view it again is by winning on all 8 tracks in each car class on at least Normal Difficulty in Arcade Mode. It’s then unlocked in Bonus Items for future viewings.
Thanks for the reminder :) . What I meant in my previous post is simply that I couldn't have used the Ending Movie Bonus Item (never went back in Arcade mode since it was done, at the very beginning of my current game), but maybe finished a GTW (and watched the movie) before be awarded of the Red DelSol and/or Purple RX-7.

EDIT: Did 30 runs with a start on lap 3 code active because i really can't do this many otherwise without dying internally lol [...]
day 38 start, no GTW win [...]
15: FTO LM Black (CR-X EF8)
19: Viper GTS-R Blue (AE86 Levin)
25: Viper GTS-R Blue (Starlet)
26: Viper GTS-R Blue (Galant VRG)
28: FTO LM Black (Civic Ferio SI-II)
Sub, with all due respect, what version of the game did you play? With the cars above, did you use a power multiplier or something? From my experience it's very hard to win with those cars in PAL even in RM-Form!! (except the first race)

Thanks for correcting me @Thomas M. It has been quite a while since I played Gran Turismo properly. So my details might not exactly be up to scratch and time alters memory!:lol:

I was alway under the impression that the ending movie was unlocked once you'd watched it, but that's probably just the case with the later games. It would appear I now need to go and do Arcade Mode.

Back