Returning to Gran Turismo & GTPlanet after 5 year hiatus – what do I need to know?

• Thread starter Schwadegan
  • 38 comments
Sweden
Sweden
Hi everybody!

In the GT5 and GT6 days I was quite active here on the forum, so some of you might recognise me from then (if so, hi there). Other than that I've been playing Gran Turismo since GT3 (my first ever game on my first ever console).

After about a 5 year break from Gran Turismo, a few days ago I came across a great deal on the Collectors Edition of GT Sport and ordered it (without really knowing much about it).

What I'm most excited for beforehand is the fact that my favorite car, the Maserati GT S, is in this game and of course trying out the livery editor!

So, while waiting for the game – what are the things I need to know about GT Sport? Is PS+ required to get anything online-related out of this game? Is trading cars still a thing? What has changed within the community these past years? What do I have to look forward to game and/or community-wise? Tips and tricks – I want to know it all!

6499919965_ca073f44c7_b.jpg

You need to be online to do pretty much anything in this game, including the single player events, license tests, driving challenges, etc. Even using the livery editor beyond really basic function needs an online connection.

Special Paints (neon, mat, chrome, etc) and wheels are only available through the Milage Exchange. There’s a limited selection that changes each week. It takes a long time to get all the wheels and special paints, only thing you can do is wait (sort of like UCD in previous GT games, but no way to artificially speed up the rotation).

The Discovery Centre is pretty cool, you can look through and search for photos, replays, decals, liveries, helmets, and race suits made by other players. The selection of decals uploaded by the community is insane, pretty much anything you can imagine is there if you search for it. You can also upload your own decals off a computer, or request others to make decals for you in the Livery section here on GTP.

I don’t have much experience with too many livery editors, but overall I’d say this one is pretty good. It takes a while to figure out some of the controls and functions. Two functions in particular, namely “Projection Method, Align With Camera”, as well as figuring out the two sliders in “Set Projection Area (Angle Limit and Depth Limit)” can make a world of difference when placing decals on awkward surfaces. You can download up to 1000 decals from other players. It’s best to organize the decals as you download them into Favourite folders (these have a limit of 100 decals per folder), otherwise when you go to place them, you’ll have to find them in a massive list that is in no particular order, it can be kind of pain in the butt once you get lots of decals.

The credit grind in this game is kinda crappy. It’s not bad if you just want to buy road cars and some racecars, but if you want all the racecars and all the “unicorn” vintage cars, you need to farm a lot of credits. This thread has lots of info about credit farming
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...y-and-xp-in-gran-turismo-sport.373222/page-28

Sport Mode is overall pretty good. The ranking and penalty system leaves a lot to be desired, so if anything, don’t take it too seriously. Regardless of your DR and SR rank, you’ll find a random mix of clean racers, dirty racers, fast and slow racers, in any Sport Mode Race you get put it. Unless you’re blindingly fast, getting good stats in sport Mode is more about knowing what you can and can’t get away with in terms of the penalty system. The system doesn’t really encourage close wheel to wheel racing, fender bumping, door rubbing, but at the same time fails to penalize massive shunts and blatant cheating/cheap shots. That said, you can still have some really fun and clean races with people. Payouts for Sport Mode races are very low, which is in a lot of people’s opinion a big problem, as it forces people to farm credits in single player campaign. It is what it is, but just know that you won’t earn any fortunes by racing people online.

For starting out, I’d recommend doing all the Driving School, Mission Challenges, and Circuit Experience events. You’ll earn a good chunk of credits, XP (which will unlock campaign events), and you’ll win a fair number of cars for free that you can use in Campaign. The Circuit Experience in particular is not that hard to get gold, and you get a free car for each circuit you get all golds on.

You need to be online to do pretty much anything in this game, including the single player events, license tests, driving challenges, etc. Even using the livery editor beyond really basic function needs an online connection.

Special Paints (neon, mat, chrome, etc) and wheels are only available through the Milage Exchange. There’s a limited selection that changes each week. It takes a long time to get all the wheels and special paints, only thing you can do is wait (sort of like UCD in previous GT games, but no way to artificially speed up the rotation).

The Discovery Centre is pretty cool, you can look through and search for photos, replays, decals, liveries, helmets, and race suits made by other players. The selection of decals uploaded by the community is insane, pretty much anything you can imagine is there if you search for it. You can also upload your own decals off a computer, or request others to make decals for you in the Livery section here on GTP.

I don’t have much experience with too many livery editors, but overall I’d say this one is pretty good. It takes a while to figure out some of the controls and functions. Two functions in particular, namely “Projection Method, Align With Camera”, as well as figuring out the two sliders in “Set Projection Area (Angle Limit and Depth Limit)” can make a world of difference when placing decals on awkward surfaces. You can download up to 1000 decals from other players. It’s best to organize the decals as you download them into Favourite folders (these have a limit of 100 decals per folder), otherwise when you go to place them, you’ll have to find them in a massive list that is in no particular order, it can be kind of pain in the butt once you get lots of decals.

The credit grind in this game is kinda crappy. It’s not bad if you just want to buy road cars and some racecars, but if you want all the racecars and all the “unicorn” vintage cars, you need to farm a lot of credits. This thread has lots of info about credit farming
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...y-and-xp-in-gran-turismo-sport.373222/page-28

Sport Mode is overall pretty good. The ranking and penalty system leaves a lot to be desired, so if anything, don’t take it too seriously. Regardless of your DR and SR rank, you’ll find a random mix of clean racers, dirty racers, fast and slow racers, in any Sport Mode Race you get put it. Unless you’re blindingly fast, getting good stats in sport Mode is more about knowing what you can and can’t get away with in terms of the penalty system. The system doesn’t really encourage close wheel to wheel racing, fender bumping, door rubbing, but at the same time fails to penalize massive shunts and blatant cheating/cheap shots. That said, you can still have some really fun and clean races with people. Payouts for Sport Mode races are very low, which is in a lot of people’s opinion a big problem, as it forces people to farm credits in single player campaign. It is what it is, but just know that you won’t earn any fortunes by racing people online.

For starting out, I’d recommend doing all the Driving School, Mission Challenges, and Circuit Experience events. You’ll earn a good chunk of credits, XP (which will unlock campaign events), and you’ll win a fair number of cars for free that you can use in Campaign. The Circuit Experience in particular is not that hard to get gold, and you get a free car for each circuit you get all golds on.
Woah, extensive answer. :cheers: The random limited selection actually seems like something I'll enjoy, makes for more surprises and adds to the collecting aspect for me personally.

Livery editor sounds awesome! Can I use other players liveries if I'd like as well, or is that more for visual inspirational purposes?
And online racing is always best with friends, but still nice that they at least try to have a system in place for rewarding clean racers. How much of the game requires a PS+ subscription – like is does the extra livery editor functions need a plus account?

GT has changed, now it's all about online racing.
Alright, and all aspects of online in this game requires PS+?

Woah, extensive answer. :cheers: The random limited selection actually seems like something I'll enjoy, makes for more surprises and adds to the collecting aspect for me personally.

Livery editor sounds awesome! Can I use other players liveries if I'd like as well, or is that more for visual inspirational purposes?
And online racing is always best with friends, but still nice that they at least try to have a system in place for rewarding clean racers. How much of the game requires a PS+ subscription – like is does the extra livery editor functions need a plus account?

Alright, and all aspects of online in this game requires PS+?
Yes, you can download liveries created by other players and equip them on your own cars. You find these in the Discovery Center as well.

As far as I know, all of the online aspects of this game require PS+, I could be wrong about that though. This would include being able to download liveries and decals from other players, as well as saving and uploading your own liveries that you create.

What you need to know.... Livery editor = good bye free time. :lol:

If you haven't seen one, I would recommend watching a World Tour event. This one is last years final in Monaco.

Weird that a longtime GT fan ignored the game until a random sale. It's been on sale for a year and a half.

PS+ is only required for online multiplayer - which is standard for all full PS4 titles.

Okay, thanks for the info! I'll get som practice in before going online then.

What you need to know.... Livery editor = good bye free time. :lol:

If you haven't seen one, I would recommend watching a World Tour event. This one is last years final in Monaco.

Haha yeah, between the livery editor and photomode there won't be much spare time! :lol:
Actually I was just watching that, its really cool!

Yes, you can download liveries created by other players and equip them on your own cars. You find these in the Discovery Center as well.

As far as I know, all of the online aspects of this game require PS+, I could be wrong about that though. This would include being able to download liveries and decals from other players, as well as saving and uploading your own liveries that you create.

To expand on @Famine reply, for avoidance of doubt, you don't need ps+ for the Time Trials or for qualifying laps on the rest of Sport Mode. Or for uploading and downloading anything in Discover (liveries, decals, scapes etc). And on the subject of scapes, for anyone who likes the old photo modes in GT5 and GT6, scapes is something of a piece of wizardry where you can place up to 3 cars and your avatar in any one of 1000 3d images.

For cars, I'd second the recommendation to do circuit experience, driving school and mission challenges first.

Also, to get your car collection up, it helps at first to ensure you drive 26.1 miles each day as you get a free car with every daily marathon. You wont get expensive cars this way, but you can win anything up to 1m with luck, which will save you a lot of credits most likely. Be prepared to end up with lots of duplicates eventually though...!

...scapes is something of a piece of wizardry where you can place up to 3 cars and your avatar in any one of 1000 3d images.

Also, to get your car collection up, it helps at first to ensure you drive 26.1 miles each day as you get a free car with every daily marathon. You wont get expensive cars this way, but you can win anything up to 1m with luck, which will save you a lot of credits most likely. Be prepared to end up with lots of duplicates eventually though...!

Wait. You mean there are 1000 different photo locations available? Oh my god.

That's neat, and I assume I can sell duplicates etc. as per usual?

That's neat, and I assume I can sell duplicates etc. as per usual?

1000 images, not 1000 locations, e.g. there are a lot of images at Le Mans. Having said that, you're not going to run out of inspiration very quickly.

You can't sell gift cars, although you can "sell" them for no reward, but you can sell cars you buy (for which you get 30% back). If you get gifted a car you've already bought, you can always sell the car you've bought and keep the gift car.

By the time you get through the Circuit Experiences and Missions, you'll have a small pool of cars for other modes. How useful or not that pool is comes down to luck of the draw though.

Credits payout for Sports Mode is a source of annoyance to some on here, as it doesn't come close to some of the GT league Professional events.

I didn’t realize you don’t need PS+ for the Discovery Center and full Livery Editor functions. That’s good news I guess.

I’ll assume then that the Activity Feed also doesn’t require PS+? The activity feed is where you can see new photos and liveries that people on your Friends list and Follow list have uploaded.

I didn’t realize you don’t need PS+ for the Discovery Center and full Livery Editor functions. That’s good news I guess.

I’ll assume then that the Activity Feed also doesn’t require PS+? The activity feed is where you can see new photos and liveries that people on your Friends list and Follow list have uploaded.

That's correct. It's literally ONLY the actual multiplayer races that require PS+ as Famine said.

Haha, why do you keep them all?

People keep them in the hope that one day they can sell them for credits. Some people use different cars for different liveries or different tunes.

Something you'll notice straight away is the fact that tuning and upgrading cars is very simplified. Basically you just need Mileage Credits to tune a car beyond the base stats, that's where these credits come in useful, along with buying 599 different colours and some wheels...

Also, watch out for exclusive "road car" versions of race cars which appear in the mileage exchange and change every 2 weeks. The current car changes on tuesday this week. You can't buy these cars anywhere else and they're not in Brand Central.

Finally, for now, when searching for liveries, the quickest and easiest way is actually to use the GT Website as the search engine in game is more clunky:

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/user/discover/search/carLivery

Or use a completely different site altogether for searches, this works much better than the official site!

https://gts.gt-beginners.net/livery/?cartag=7109&searchword=Italian&lang=us&d=

All the cars and stats, upgrade costs etc are listed here:

https://www.kudosprime.com/gts/carlist.php

Don't buy the La Ferrari - it drives like **** :lol:

You can even check your Sport mode stats at kudosprime when you get further along.

I reckon that should get you going...

Most of all, remember to have fun! :D

What you have to look forward to the most is how great it plays and looks compared to any previous GT title. The monthly batches of free DLC are also nice.

It's true that emphasis has changed to organized online multiplayer, but most of the ingredients from previous GT games are still there. Only major difference in this regard is that part modifications have been scrapped in favor of a simplified performance upgrade system. Enjoy!

Last edited:
If you enjoyed Photomode in GT5/GT6 you probably know that there were Photo Mode Competitions held here on GTP. Those are still a thing and there is also a Livery Editor Competition held every two weeks :)

People keep saying that GTS is all about online racing - yet I spend 90% of my time racing AI.

Even though there is a stronger focus on online (and the online is amazing!) there is more than enough to do on your own if that´s what you want.

I´m in a somewhat similar position since I "left" GT after 4 and played Forza for the past years.

Coming back to GT was amazing for me. I think this is the best GT ever.

Oh, and also - in case you did not know - this game has monthly significant and free content drops.

The community here seems great (been lurking for a while) although a bit whiny at times.

Weird that a longtime GT fan ignored the game until a random sale. It's been on sale for a year and a half.

You know, there's this crazy little thing called Life that has a nasty habit of getting in the way and altering one's priorities.

I'm a long time GT fan, but due to other way more important things happening I ended up skipping both GT5 and GT6, in fact I never even owned a PS3. I wouldn't call myself any less of a GT fan because of that though.

It's important to note they're not like the old Photo Travel locations you might remember from the older games, where you could actually move the camera. These are straight photographs, not modelled recreations of real-world locations. They're 3D-mapped so that a game car can be placed and reflect the lighting of the shot, but you won't be able to move the camera. This leads to a lot of deja vu if you venture into the Photo Mode sub-forum here, but on the flip side, it's now even easier to fool non-players with your shots. :D

So, while waiting for the game – what are the things I need to know about GT Sport? Is PS+ required to get anything online-related out of this game? Is trading cars still a thing? What has changed within the community these past years? What do I have to look forward to game and/or community-wise? Tips and tricks – I want to know it all!
I'm sure you wouldn't be surprised anymore if someone tells you that Spa isn't present in the game (yet), right?

Well, that's in case you still didn't happen to know until now.

Hi everybody!

In the GT5 and GT6 days I was quite active here on the forum, so some of you might recognise me from then (if so, hi there). Other than that I've been playing Gran Turismo since GT3 (my first ever game on my first ever console).

After about a 5 year break from Gran Turismo, a few days ago I came across a great deal on the Collectors Edition of GT Sport and ordered it (without really knowing much about it).

What I'm most excited for beforehand is the fact that my favorite car, the Maserati GT S, is in this game and of course trying out the livery editor!

My summary of GT Sport is Polyphony have been brave hit the reset button and cut the crud from the GT6. The standard cars are all gone, and the uneven quality of GT5 & GT6. GT Sport online is brilliant, you can jump into a good race, and no longer need to be tuning master to be competitive. Yes the penalty system is not perfect and can be abused. My best advice is keep your online racing clean, and don't let your SR rating drop at all.

Yes GT Sport was a bit slim on launch, but after two years of updates and it's still adding new content. Great game, not perfect but a decent GT entry.

Some very important things that no one mentioned yet:

Car upgrades and tuning are useless in Sport Mode races, as the cars get "Performance Balanced", which means they get a previously calculated Power and Weight to each car and the settings are locked to default.

Car upgrades are no longer obtained by purchase of performance parts, but by purchasing Power and/or Weight levels with Mileage Points, not credits. Credits just allow you to buy cars, everything else (upgrades, paint chips, helmet and suit designs, is obtainable with Mileage Points)

There is no more Performance Points determined by the balance, the power and weight of each car, instead the cars are organized in Nx00 categories for the road cars, in which the number after the "N" is related to the power output of the car (a N200 car has an output between 150 to 249 HP). You can mess with the power output of a car to put it in another class. Apart from that, there are Group B to rally/mixed conditions cars, Group 4 to mildly race transformed cars, with some GT4 like cars, some touring cars, having FF (like Audi TT Cup Car), FR (like Toyota GT86), MR (Like Alfa Romeo 4C) or 4WD (like Mitsubishi Lancer MR), Group 3 with GT3, GTE, GTLM cars, all RWD in this case, Group 2 for Japanese GT500 cars and Group 1 to LMP and old Group C prototypes. Everything else goes to Group X that goes from cars like the BMW i3 to Ferrari 330P4 or the Mercedes W08 F1 car ot the Red Bull X series.

If you need or want to grind, in the races intended to road going cars, you get a bonus if you race with a car in N categories lower to the category allowed. For example, the FF Challenge is limited to N300 cars, but you can give it a go with a Alfa Romeo MiTo or a Peugeot RCZ undertuned to 149 hp N100, to get a double bonus (two categories under the limit). Sometimes you can have a go with a Group X car, but this bonus doesn't apply to this cars. Also if you have a clean race, without contact with other cars or walls or off track moments, you will get a 50% bonus (this even in Sport Mode)

Being said already, I insist, do the Missions, the Challenges and Circuit Experiences, you will get the nuances of car handling in GT Sport, get to know the tracks, the way endurance races and engine mapping works, getting prize cars in the process.

Also, rally driving is still a piece of 🤬

You know, there's this crazy little thing called Life that has a nasty habit of getting in the way and altering one's priorities.

I'm a long time GT fan, but due to other way more important things happening I ended up skipping both GT5 and GT6, in fact I never even owned a PS3. I wouldn't call myself any less of a GT fan because of that though.
I doubt Kaz has any time for your excuses.

The only real competitive fun to be had is either getting stuck into the FIA stuff or doing community events, which GTP thankfully hosts, as the game itself doesn't!

Back