Review your last concertMusic 

• Thread starter UnoMOTO
  • 261 comments
Saw Jurassic 5 at the Commodore Ballroom in Vancouver in June.

It was only my second concert in my life, considering I saw Thrice at the same venue last September, and in terms of the venue, I quite like it. Great acoustics, and the fact that's one of the few theater type places in Vancouver that sells alcohol on the premises, it works in that regard.

The concert itself was fantastic. Jurassic 5 is one of my favorite West Coast rap groups, so seeing them live, on the last show of their little North American excursion was great. They played all their hits, including the obligatory What's Golden as the final song (Though they did lampshade it a bit when they were taking requests, saying that they'd get to it 'eventually') and there was a great mix of stuff from their various albums.

When they played A Day At The Races, one of my favorite rap songs ever, I nearly lost my mind. I'd post the videos I took, but I was around the speakers, so it's absolutely **** audio quality, all you can hear is the reverb, haha.

Did manage to get my hat signed by Akil at the end of the show though:

TdeQByk.jpg

Went to see Alice Cooper (July 27) for the fourth time since 2011 and he has only gotten better in my opinion, if somewhat repetitive. There were ~20,000 people in attendance and Alice can still work a crowd at 69 and his voice holds up pretty well.

His stage show and theatrics are pretty funny and you can really see where King Diamond gets some of his inspiration from. I actually went to see King Diamond at this very outdoor arena a few years ago.

36206706135_719c76815d_b.jpg
36206704545_6151578d23_b.jpg
36206704065_3a6577ea19_b.jpg
35813774500_4fe5221ec1_b.jpg
35370714084_75a010af5f_b.jpg
36206706835_fdc20aef1d_b.jpg

I think the best recurring part of Cooper's shows apart from the guillotines, electric chairs, fake blood and zombie nurses is when he transforms into the nine or ten feet tall Frankenstein monster and runs around on the stage. I found this example from a few years ago:

I've seen this act irl a couple times now and it always makes me lol.

Saw Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers last night at Safeco Feild in Seattle. The Lumineers opened. First time seeing Tom Petty live in concert. All I can say is wow. Put on a great show. Never been a huge fan of The Lumineers but they did put on a good show. Overall I can say is that it was a great show.

Saw Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers last night at Safeco Feild in Seattle.
You should really cherish that moment now. Because you were one of the last people who got to see him play.

I went to see Ghost three days ago. It was pretty cool.

I only took one picture. Got there late so I didn't really have a good view.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/media/20170929_203412.34558/

You should really cherish that moment now. Because you were one of the last people who got to see him play.

I went to see Ghost three days ago. It was pretty cool.

I only took one picture. Got there late so I didn't really have a good view.
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/media/20170929_203412.34558/

Grateful that I got to see him before he passed. I will definitely cherish that moment for the rest of my life.

Saw Lapalux last night in Leeds. The guys before hand were ok but clearly still early in their careers so not the best musically.

However Lapalux was on form and played an absolute killer set based on his latest LP Ruinism. If you like IDM / Electronic music then you may like him.

I didn’t take too many pics but snapped these...

In the last year I’ve seen...
  • Five finger death punch (twice)
  • Shinedown
  • Sixx A.M.
  • Breaking Benjamin
  • Killswitch Engage
  • Shaman's Harvest
  • A Day to Remember
  • Halestorm
  • Starset
  • In this moment
  • Steel Panther
  • POD
  • Red Sun Rising
Missed out on Korn, Stonesour due to miserable rain and cold. Missed out on Linkin Park for obvious reasons.:( Missed out on Incubus at RED ROCKS to sold out tickets. 🤬

Next up is Papa Roach and Falling in Reverse. One could say that I’m on a roll, and would see all of those bands again if they come through Denver.

Saw Mike Portnoy's Shattered Fortress last night in Auckland, and while it was obvious Mike Portnoy would be fantastic, I had my doubts about the rest of the band (even more after watching some videos from earlier in the tour). Particularly the singer because James LaBrie is quite a hard act to follow at times, but I left very surprised. The band played really well, it was a small venue, so being at the back was okay. Infact, being at the back was great because at the back the floor rises suddenly, so you can see the stage directly over the crowd. They had three guitarists, which I found weird because Dream Theater only has one. :P But they did a great job. The singer sang better than LaBrie does live nowadays, and that's being said by someone who doesn't hate him. It was definitely worth flying up to see.

Jul 14 2015
Going to see Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters tonight. I've looked over their previous setlists and it looks pretty good.

robert-plant_460.jpg
They're coming back in August and I'll definitely be going to see them again.
It was a great show three years ago, he's still got the voice and how many more
times can you get to see a true living legend like Plant anyway. It's just awesome.
He'll turn 70 in August so that's also pretty cool.

Will be going to a Draconian show tonight as they stop by in my city on their european tour.
Looking forward to it. Been listening to their latest album so many times these last couple weeks.

edit
Got the album on CD in the car and a t-shirt arrived in the mail yesterday.

edit 2
They were great! Really nice live experience and they seemed to be enjoying themselves up on stage. They weren't far from sounding just like they do in the studio.

Last edited:
Power Trip at Soma in San Diego.

It was indeed amazing watching all the Metalheads crowd bashing all the young hardcore-kids from doing their hardcore dancing shenanigans and us young millenials eating **** stage diving. Besides that, Riley made such an amazing set-list for the show that made me lose my voice haha. 10/10 would see them again regardless if they played at a venue with a barricade (which will be more likely since they're getting big) or tiny ghetto venues catering to the hardcore crowd.

Just got back from Snarky Puppy in Philadelphia. Holy cow was that insane.

Raul Midon opened up for them, and lemme tell you, he is one talented man. First off, he’s blind. He plays guitar, and he sings. Then, while still playing guitar and singing, he starts playing bongos. And then he’ll switch from singing to sounding like a trumpet. All at the same time. Wow.

Snarky Puppy was amazing as expected, the improv was on point, and the pocket was on fire. Loved how they just went all out. It was ridiculous.

F29796B2-AF79-4FBF-B9EE-4D7016FFD1A8.jpeg

I went to see Steely Dan in Glasgow last night, and at £107 a ticket, I was expecting great things...

Fortunately, I wasn't disappointed - even though the venue itself is not quite up to the task sound-wise. But the real surprise was the support act. Steve Winwood was supporting, and it was a long support set of over an hour... (meanwhile, Steely Dan were scheduled to play for just 90 minutes).

It was hard to think of any songs by Steve Winwood except for his 80's classics 'Higher Love' (which he played) and 'Valerie' (which he didn't play) - but his back catalogue is a formidable one. He played 60s classic 'Keep On Running', a song he recorded in 1965 - and, despite being 70 years old, he sounded virtually identical to the original, and 'Gimme Some Lovin'' was incredible as well - but the highlight of the show (and indeed of the whole night) for me was 'Had To Cry Today', a song he wrote as part of the 60's 'supergroup', Blind Faith - and he even played the guitar part (which was originally played by Eric Clapton). All in all, it was a remarkable performance and set the bar very high indeed. My mates had practically written him off before we even got to the venue, and both of them were blown away.

Steely Dan's set list was made up entirely from their 'classic' era (1972-1980), so I was delighted with that - there was only one or two covers/instrumental segues to break up the set and presumably to give 71-year old Don Fagen a break as well!. Ironically, one of their oldest tracks ('Dirty Work' from their first album) was sung by a female backing singer while Don Fagen took a break, so that song was performed with no original members of Steely Dan at all. But the highlight of the set for me was 'Deacon Blues', and they actually played 5 (out of 7) songs from their classic album 'Aja'.

The only complaint about the entire event was the sound quality at the SSE Hydro - the place is just too big and the music is not loud enough to compensate for the poor acoustics. Also, I think I'd rather pay the £3000 a year membership for a private box than to listen to some drunk woman crooning along to one of my favourite songs, but fortunately the crowd were tolerable and the security eventually got the drunk woman to sit down and shut up, which was great.

Last edited:
I went to see Avantasia on Sunday, made a trip over to Australia just for it. It was $107AUD a ticket, which is pretty good on its own let alone considering how many good singers join the tour. People like Geoff Tate (Queensryche), Jorn Lande, Eric Martin (Mr Big) and Bob Catley (Magnum). As a big fan of Queensryche and Magnum, I was getting tastes of multiple of my favourite bands within one of my favourite bands. I felt this justified buying plane tickets, and I was totally right. Got there at a reasonable time, so I managed to be like, second row. Mouthing the words, making eye contact with Geoff Tate and immediately forgetting the words and sort of just making mouth shapes is an unforgettable experience. :lol: People who say Geoff Tate has lost it are just wrong, he nailed it all night and was a great showman. I was surprised because I thought Tobias Sammet (the main guy of Avantasia) would be the best showman, but he never really strayed from center stage, and was often a bit more interested in the photographers than the audience. Though to be fair, the audience had a mix of rowdy Australians in it yelling obscenities and odd and awkward people like myself. :lol:

Screenshot_20190513-105117_Video Player.jpg

(takes frame from video and it's less blurry than anything the phone camera could manage in a photo)

It was hard to think of any songs by Steve Winwood except for his 80's classics 'Higher Love' (which he played) and 'Valerie' (which he didn't play) - but his back catalogue is a formidable one. He played 60s classic 'Keep On Running', a song he recorded in 1965 - and, despite being 70 years old, he sounded virtually identical to the original, and 'Gimme Some Lovin'' was incredible as well - but the highlight of the show (and indeed of the whole night) for me was 'Had To Cry Today', a song he wrote as part of the 60's 'supergroup', Blind Faith - and he even played the guitar part (which was originally played by Eric Clapton). All in all, it was a remarkable performance and set the bar very high indeed. My mates had practically written him off before we even got to the venue, and both of them were blown away.

Steve Winwood is one of the artist that really does not get the dues or credits he should, good vocalist, hell of a musician on both keyboards and guitar.

Winwood and Clapton have a concert BLU RAY out which is great and there are also some good performances with the duo of Winwood/Clapton at Claptons guitar festivals.

Search you tube for Winwood/Clapton and a lot of great videos of that duo will come to light. Those two compliment each other on stage and you can see the respect they have for each others abilities.

Thread grave dig.

Tonight's (well technically yesterday's) Taylor Hawkins tribute was 6 hours of amazing.

Guest list was stunning.

FB_IMG_1662226762135.jpg

Screenshot_20220903-195145_Gallery.jpg

Saw Karl Denson’s Tiny Universe last night, and as someone who knows nothing about their material aside from The Bridge (it is at least my favorite song in PGR4, and the game is the closest you can get to legally streaming or even buying digitally most of their catalog), I thought they played fantastically. I can’t really complain because it was a free show and it was a clear night.

Rare Element, the band that opened for Denson, also played a cover of Frankenstein that I loved. I reckon it was a good use of a night for that alone.

So got a gig coming up next week. First one since Covid started and I’m still a little apprehensive but we’ll see.

Trees Speak at Soup in Manchester. I’ll pop a review up once I’ve been, however, the EU tour photos and videos they’ve put up look great so far.

1B24C225-ED76-4C24-B725-42693390E49F.jpeg

The last two concerts I went to see were Autralian Pink Floyd, which was a treat for my father-in-law. The music was good, the crowd... Less so. I've never seen so many people getting up and down for drinks during a concert before, and people were arguing a lot in the audience. Probably down to too much alcohol bieng consumed. But the music was good and we avoided any trouble.

The other concert I went to, which was back in June, was Hans Zimmer at the Manchester Arena, that was excellent. If you're a fan of his music and film scores you'll know what to expect, but hearing it live was a different experience altogether. No problems with the crowd at that one either. He ended with Time, it was perfect.

Last edited:
Well Manchester was good last night.

My friends Mark, Adam & myself watched Trees Speak at Soup Kitchen in the Northern Quarter of the city.

Before they hit the stage an interesting local act Another Country…

… did a few tracks and they were really enjoyable. For such a small venue it was really good. Very intimate and the crowd were only about 60 to 80 strong.

Trees Speak got on stage about 9ish and carried on till 11. Well worth seeing live. The sound system was a bit all over the place and the levels were off for my taste, a little too shrill which when the sax kicked in, it just drowned everything else out.

1D986E9B-91AA-4B86-B509-498ABD19F73C.jpeg
23F63EBD-FF04-411B-A510-243CEC94B26B.jpeg

Back