Ridiculously overpriced used cars

North Korea
With Kim Jong Un
In this thread, you can list the most overpriced cars being sold online right now. Be sure to list the car, the price, a link of the car being sold, and a photo of the car being sold.

2015 Ferrari 458 Speciale for $795,000

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/667770816/overview/
I can't believe this dealer has the audacity to sell this Ferrari 458 Speciale for more than double than new.
6dea7e46fadb70e7fb00230b744.jpg

1997 Porsche 911 Carrera 4S for $179,993

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/677750110/overview/
I know the Porsche 993 commands ridiculous prices nowadays, but seriously, $180K for a non-turbo, non-RS 993 is ludicrously overpriced even by air-cooled Porsche standards.
3faafa7ad5bfbb8c25e253cc373.jpg

Last edited:
Once it hit collectors status good bye to affordability, all cars in question except the 911, were pretty much collectable from creation.

I'm reasonably sure the new 488 doesn't start at a quarter-billion. ;)

The easy answer is just... any new Chrysler product. But I'll work a little harder than that.

2009_lexus_rx_350_angularfront.jpg

You can pick this up with 80k mi for about $16k. I hate this car, it is the worst vehicle I have ever driven, and the list of vehicles I have driven includes some stinkers.

2012_chevrolet_impala_sedan_ltz_fq_oem_1_400.jpg

You can pick up this one with 60k mi for about $11k. I hate this car too, charging $11k for one of these is criminal. You'd almost have to pay me to take it.

Edit:

Given that "collectible" cars tend to hold their value, or even appreciate, it's hard to see how they're overpriced. Maybe it costs half a million, but if you sell it for 3/4 of a million it was worth every penny.

Semi-related, I have been going to car auctions with my dad since I was very young. Anything for sale at a used dealership is rediculously overpriced. Buy here, pay here, anyone's approved outfits especially.

As for these high end cars, it's all about supply and demand really.

any used Ford or Chevy pickup truck in my area:

NQ_800.jpg

jf8cdZkWy3Fq68NYn7LHKhHPTwpOs43KGf94LjZXG7ZqZBf1qe2bPnsj1y3pk7CAm.jpg

For some reason, people try to sell these trucks for double the Blue Book value. :crazy: Making matters even worse is that most of the trucks are "bro modded" and beat to hell.

Last edited:
TD42Ti equipped Nissan Patrols.

I understand that it's a bulletproof unit in a relatively bulletproof fourbie but still, if you want a wagon version of one of these the cheapest on CarSales at the moment is AU$22k, and there are reported sales of more than $50k. The Cab Chassis version starts at a much more palatable $11k but then it's only a two seater and only really practical as a work bus.

Every used Toyota Tacoma out there. Some guy on one of my Facebook groups is selling a 2013 TRD Off-Road with 90,000 miles on it for $28,000...it was probably $34,000 new.

You don't find something terribly different with used Wranglers; especially those ones that have the Bro stickers on them from the factory.

I'm going to add a few more contributions to my thread.

1988 BMW M3 - $149,990

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/662090001/overview/
Don't get me wrong, I love the E30 M3 as much as anyone else does, but there is absolutely no way you would tell me this car is worth as much as this dealer is asking for.
2049498040.jpg

2013 Buick LaCrosse - $52,949
https://www.cstatic-images.com/supersized/CPOGM/152571/16913A/01.jpg
Who seriously thought it would be a good idea to sell a car as boring as the LaCrosse, that usually would cost $20,000 at best, for almost the price of a brand-new Corvette? I hate car dealers sometimes.
01.jpg

Don't really have the time to search right now, but I do know of a lot of older diesel trucks guys are asking for $30k in some cases...with 350k miles.

Every used Toyota Tacoma out there. Some guy on one of my Facebook groups is selling a 2013 TRD Off-Road with 90,000 miles on it for $28,000...it was probably $34,000 new.

Any Toyota 4x4 price is ridiculous in New England. My friend got $15k for his 2006 Tacoma TRD Double Cab with about 140k miles. I always wanted a 100 Series Land Cruiser, but almost all of them are around $10k with 200k+ miles..... Saw a 1999 Land Cruiser with 400k miles and the seller wanted $4,000 for it! Ugh, I still want a Toyota truck/SUV someday.

One would think someone would just make one themselves without any issue. GM certainly didn't wrack their brains coming up with it compared to the effort they put in with the Trailblazer.

Last edited:
That dealer has a hefty premium on all their cars. They make sure the cars are in top shape before they are sold.

Once it hit collectors status good bye to affordability, all cars in question except the 911, were pretty much collectable from creation.

No way. 10 years ago you could pick up pretty much any SC through 964 models for (relatively) dirt cheap. They've only recently become spectacularly overpriced.

S2000's have gone up in value pretty sharply in the last year or two. It's very difficult to find clean, lower milesage ones under $15,000.

I really think the collectible car market is in a bubble right now. Some of the asking prices, especially for 993s, are quite absurd.

No way. 10 years ago you could pick up pretty much any SC through 964 models for (relatively) dirt cheap. They've only recently become spectacularly overpriced.

Thats the point I was saying, but some cars are made to be with limited numbers on purpose making them go up in value.
Eg:
E46 M3 = Not collectable, too many where sold, easy to come by.
E46 M3 CSL = Very collectable, very limited Numbers with bespoke parts.
E46 M3 CSL in US only Manual = extremely collectable, extremely limited numbers even compared to what is already collectable.

The Regular Pre Water cooled 911s where not made to be collectable, but it's air cooled status being a rarity in the car world today has made it such.

E46 M3 = Not collectable, too many where sold, easy to come by.
E46 M3 CSL = Very collectable, very limited Numbers with bespoke parts.
E46 M3 CSL in US only Manual = extremely collectable, extremely limited numbers even compared to what is already collectable.

One could argue the same was true for the E30 M3 and it's variants before they went off like crazy.

Back