Ridiculously overpriced used cars

Mileage and condition is a big part for Supra prices now, along with numbers-matching. Unless you've got a $40,000 budget, you may be better off with a non-turbo model if you're just after the Supra name.

Thats the point I was saying, but some cars are made to be with limited numbers on purpose making them go up in value.
Eg:
E46 M3 = Not collectable, too many where sold, easy to come by.

I'm not sure I agree with that. They're already headed north. Especially the ones without SMG.

For LHD hard tops without SMG it looks like about 20k were made. That's not a super small number, but it's not exactly commonplace either.

E46 M3 CSL = Very collectable, very limited Numbers with bespoke parts.

Very collectible, but flawed because they come with the SMG

E46 M3 CSL in US only Manual = extremely collectable, extremely limited numbers even compared to what is already collectable.

Are you saying that there is a non-SMG CSL in the US?

-> ...

^ You overlooked the ZCP/Competition Pkg. or in Europe the CS, the one the slots between the regular and the M3.

:)

Seems like the one to get.

Last edited:
I'm not sure I agree with that. They're already headed north. Especially the ones without SMG.

For LHD hard tops without SMG it looks like about 20k were made. That's not a super small number, but it's not exactly commonplace either.

Very collectible, but flawed because they come with the SMG

Are you saying that there is a non-SMG CSL in the US?

Seems like the one to get.
Yes, America is the only Market to get the CSL in Manual, as well as the last 2 generations of M5.

There never was an E46 CSL offered in America, it was Europe/Asia only. America got the ZCP package, or CS in Europe, which had a myriad of CSL parts/software but lacked the engine, carbon roof and front bumper/trunk from the CSL.

I just found this 1993 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T selling for $19,900 which inspired me to bump this thread. I know this car is very rare and it's in great shape, but there's no way you can tell me that a Dodge Daytona of all things is worth this much.
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/134384
545482088.jpg

Last edited:
It seems like any semi-rare model or performance variant is going through a massive speculative bump in pricing. We see it in the ballooning prices for decent, unmolested Japanese imports and now with 911 models, but it is reverberating throughout the spectrum.

And I wonder how long it will be before the floor falls out from underneath.

I just found this 1993 Dodge Daytona IROC R/T selling for $19,900 which inspired me to bump this thread. I know this car is very rare and it's in great shape, but there's no way you can tell me that a Dodge Daytona of all things is worth this much.
https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/134384
545482088.jpg

Depends on how much the most rare trim goes for. Since this is still a decently rare trim itself. It's the last year of the production for it, and if I remember correctly wasn't different all that much from the Shelby variant other than decals but power wise it was the same. Also like a few notable American cars during this time of the 90s, it had help from Lotus which is something people who collect this type of thing look for. But I have no idea if this is reasonable until I know what the most rarest version goes for.

After a bit of searching, I found that Dodge made a mere 181 IROC R/T Daytonas in 1993, making this one exceptionally rare (source). The Turbo III was pretty potent with 224 hp on tap, and could definitely keep Mustangs and Camaros honest in a drag race, but ultimately the only person I see paying the same money that could nab a facelifted C4 is a hardcore Daytona collector/fan.

Here's a good example of the ridiculous Toyota 4x4 "tax" in any snow state. :mad: Nearly $8,000 for a 1996 Land Cruiser with 281k+ miles on it. A ripped up interior, scratches, and some kind of "$4,000 front end rebuild." But it's from Hawaii....
00T0T_lV97Qoo2qSa_1200x900.jpg

00L0L_8TIN3bvpeZB_1200x900.jpg

https://maine.craigslist.org/cto/d/land-cruiser/6226822255.html
I found one last year for $15K. The interior and body were in good condition except for a little rust on underbody. It had little over 150K miles the engine run good, it need some work. But the guy was firm on $15K.

Last edited:
"Don't ask me to justify the price". :lol:
Surprised there wasn't a NO LOW BALLERS FIRM ON PRICE in there too.

That is pretty high, but at the same time, it does appear to be a fairly clean, well maintained example with really low mileage for a nearly 30 year old Nissan. Those mods appear to be really tasteful & aren't on the cheap side either.

I'm betting that & the import costs may play a factor into why they're asking so much.

I'm betting that & the import costs may play a factor into why they're asking so much.
It's true about the import costs playing into a factor, but I've seen S13 Silvias & 180SXs in the past being offered for less and around the same millage. They were in just as clean shape too.

Yeah, I'm not paying $20,000 for a modified S13 Silvia.
http://www.importavehicle.com/vehicles/16/1990-nissan-silvia
700_a7d521c6577f_low_res.JPG

Reminds me of this built 240SX S14 with "some" mods. Featured on SuperStreet magazine, so it's $35,000.
00T0T_8JpR2OVGAJD_1200x900.jpg

https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/nissan-silvia-sx-rb-engine/6225197583.html

I mean...it's cool and all.

"Don't ask me to justify the price". :lol:
Surprised there wasn't a NO LOW BALLERS FIRM ON PRICE in there too.

Who says that? Ugh, these craigslist Land Cruiser owners infuriate me.

It's true about the import costs playing into a factor, but I've seen S13 Silvias & 180SXs in the past being offered for less and around the same millage. They were in just as clean shape too.
Fair enough. I don't follow that market, so I'm just giving a guess. It is a lot, no doubt, again.

Their whole inventory is priced ridiculously... 50000$ for an R32 GT-R? :lol:

Well, a Supra that is in original form, so no aftermarket parts installed, is at the very least 40,000 euros here, which is 45,000$. Just the car itself. That means I have to ship it from Germany into my country, and import it. Or I can drive it myself into Belgium, but that means getting numberplates for the car to drive it in Germany to the border. That's at least another 5,000 euros just to import it and get it registered over here. So, yes, it really is that expensive to have an original Japanese sportscar over here.

So, yes, it really is that expensive to have an original Japanese sportscar over here.

I might be jaded because we've been able to import R32s in Canada for over 10 years now... In fact, this is the only clean one I can find for sale right now around the country (R32s are not popular anymore, it's all about the R33s and R34s yo!)

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks...-r/1284522160?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true (that's 13.5k for you people down south!)

In fact one of my friends bought a gunmetal grey R32 GT-R some 8 years ago and paid around 24000$ for it. It used to be so easy to import stuff over here you'd see them everywhere so they became really cheap, but ultimately the difficulty of finding parts got the better of most people and now you can get an R32 GTS-T for 5000$... I don't know if it's because the rules are/were pretty lax here, but I feel some importers are taking a much bigger cut and that's why the prices are so high in some parts of the world.

I agree that the prices for the r32s are ridiculous. Even for us standards since we just started getting R32s. I've seen them sold for 25k on other sites still.

Back