Ridiculously overpriced used cars

Hard to count the Ferraris or the high-end 911s in this one, esp. if they're new. Selling way over sticker sure, but that's due to the market; those cars are sold out months in advance, so what you're seeing are folks who are willing to spend that kind of cash to get one now. The 458SA increases even more because there's very few on the market (I'm sure the 911R is in a similar boat). In other words, they're priced at what they're expected to in the current market and it will pay out.

Now, to give credit to Ferrari/Porsche, they have tried to combat this because there are usually clauses in the agreements for these cars that forbid the owners from selling them for a certain amount of time after delivery unless it is back to a factory-authorized dealer. Owners who have been caught otherwise, lose their relationship with Ferrari/Porsche which allowed them those cars in the first place.

I think a good example in the thread though, is @Grandea GTR's Supra. "Numbers matching" Supras or mint, bone stock Supras have managed to climb to crazy values, but this allowed a certain mindset for many others that their cars are also worth those insane values. For ex., there are couple owners who have tried to ask over $50,000 for a N/A Supra with a swapped turbo-motor because they saw other Turbo models sell for similar prices. To the community, these cars are thought to be around $30-40,000 at best because they are not original Turbo models.

This has to be one of the most expensive prices I've seen going for a R32 GT-R. It has 111k miles and there's a 1989 GT-R on the same website with a similar amount of miles going for 15k less. *facepalm*
http://montumotors.com/vehicles/102/1990-nissan-skyline-gtr
2556_339c02071df0_low_res.JPG

One could argue the same was true for the E30 M3 and it's variants before they went off like crazy.

They become rarer as time goes by. Half of the ones on craigslist have rebuilt titles. I would think the e46 m3 might follow the e30 path in price.

They become rarer as time goes by. Half of the ones on craigslist have rebuilt titles. I would think the e46 m3 might follow the e30 path in price.
Maybe but it would take more time as More E46s were made, and not being the original M3 probably doesn't help as well.

Any Toyota 4x4 price is ridiculous in New England. My friend got $15k for his 2006 Tacoma TRD Double Cab with about 140k miles. I always wanted a 100 Series Land Cruiser, but almost all of them are around $10k with 200k+ miles..... Saw a 1999 Land Cruiser with 400k miles and the seller wanted $4,000 for it! Ugh, I still want a Toyota truck/SUV someday.
Wanted to point something else with this. My dad owned a 2011 4Runner Limited - not a rare car in any right, but the MSRP was $41,000. When he traded it in for a 2015 Avalon (in mid-2015), he was told that the 4Runner was sold later the same day for $38,000.

The 911R and 458SA have really pushed things into a different dimension. I'm not sure if it's fear of missing out or radical speculation, but I can't see this trend being sustainable...but returns on investment of 400%+ are pretty ludicrous.

On another note, I'm still waiting on Magnus Walker to do a 986 build (he said he was interested in doing so a while back) so that my car becomes coveted. :lol:

Another car that has oddly high resale value is the Toyota FJ cruiser. Finding a "good deal" on these is basically impossible, and I believe it's not uncommon for them to be trading hands for more than original MSRP lately.

I think a good example in the thread though, is @Grandea GTR's Supra. "Numbers matching" Supras or mint, bone stock Supras have managed to climb to crazy values, but this allowed a certain mindset for many others that their cars are also worth those insane values. For ex., there are couple owners who have tried to ask over $50,000 for a N/A Supra with a swapped turbo-motor because they saw other Turbo models sell for similar prices. To the community, these cars are thought to be around $30-40,000 at best because they are not original Turbo models.

Must be a regional thing. You can still get a low-milage (66k) totally unmolested non-turbo for under £8k in the UK.

911R's are changing hands for £600k+... list c.£150k, depending on spec.

Ridiculous... you could have a CGT for similar money.

Must be a regional thing. You can still get a low-milage (66k) totally unmolested non-turbo for under £8k in the UK.
Absolutely. I wonder if I bought one there & went through the hassle of getting it here, if I'd come well under the price of one here.
911R's are changing hands for £600k+... list c.£150k, depending on spec.

Ridiculous... you could have a CGT for similar money.
Lord have mercy. I saw two Rs here asking $500-600k, but that's still not far off CGT money; they've come back down a little to $700-800k here.

I can't imagine being the person with enough money to drop $600k on a car and selecting a 911R over everything else at that price point. It's quite unbelievable. Do they think it will continue to increase in value from that point? Can it?

I can't imagine being the person with enough money to drop $600k on a car and selecting a 911R over everything else at that price point. It's quite unbelievable. Do they think it will continue to increase in value from that point? Can it?
If a Ferrari from the '60s can sell for $53 mill, anything is possible.

I think it'll come back down once more get into the market. I think the big hype of the "last manual GT3" really brought the purists out for it and now there's a lot of demand for one.
Here's a new, used Porsche 911 GT3 RS from 2016 (without a manual) that's going for $373,808 (CND)

View attachment 606919

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2016-Porsche-911-GT3-RS-/112202402385?hash=item1a1fc8ca51:g:oboAAOSwHMJYCqFT

By the way, the Canadian MSRP for a new 2017 Porsche 911 GT3 RS is only $200,700.
RS' basically appreciate in value once they drive off the lot these days. :P

I think they'll also eventually drop, but with the market so high, they're probably never going to be cheaper than anyone who bought one new. 1st owners picked up a gem with it.

-> ...
Thats the point I was saying, but some cars are made to be with limited numbers on purpose making them go up in value.
Eg:
E46 M3 = Not collectable, too many where sold, easy to come by.
E46 M3 CSL = Very collectable, very limited Numbers with bespoke parts.
E46 M3 CSL in US only Manual = extremely collectable, extremely limited numbers even compared to what is already collectable.

The Regular Pre Water cooled 911s where not made to be collectable, but it's air cooled status being a rarity in the car world today has made it such.
^ You overlooked the ZCP/Competition Pkg. or in Europe the CS, the one the slots between the regular and the M3.

What is the E46 M3 Competition Package?
The Competition Package, known by the internal designation "ZCP", was introduced in December of 2004 as an option for the E46 M3 coupe. It consisted of the following equipment (most of which is derived from that of the limited-production M3 CSL):
-Cross-drilled brake rotors (enlarged to 13.7 inches in front) with two-piece compound rotors (aluminum hat and outer portion connected by steel pins)
-Steering ratio reduced to 14.5:1
-M Track Mode setting for Dynamic Stability Control (raises—but does not eliminate—the threshold at which the DSC intervenes)
-19-inch cross-spoke alloy wheels (8x19-inch front, 9.5x19-inch rear)
-Alcantara-wrapped M three-spoke steering wheel with M Track Mode activation button (audio and cruise control buttons deleted)
-Specific aluminum interior trim with milled effect
-Exclusive Interlagos Blue metallic (A30) paint option
spacer.gif

What is the E46 M3 CS?
The right-hand drive version of the E46 M3 coupe with the Competition Package sold in the United Kingdom was officially given the "M3 CS" designation. However, this model does not contain "M3 CS" badging of any kind, nor does it differ from its left-hand drive "ZCP" counterpart in any significant way.
spacer.gif

How many examples of the E46 M3 coupe with Competition Package were produced?
BMW produced a total of 3,011 E46 M3 coupes with the optional Competition Package (ZCP). The breakdown by model type is as follows: BL91 = 326 examples, BL92 (designated as the M3 CS in the United Kingdom) = 275 examples, BL93 = 2,410 examples.

:)

-> ...

^ You overlooked the ZCP/Competition Pkg. or in Europe the CS, the one the slots between the regular and the M3.

:)
I also Missed the rarest of all the V8 M3 GTR but I wasn't listing every M3 model I was using it as an example of what makes something collectable.

I went to a car dealership in Chicago over the summer that had the nerve to ask for $10k for a 09 Chevy Coblat SS whose hood wouldn't even open (The technician couldn't even get it open, albwit it didn't look like he was teying hard).

Back