RIP Nokia, Hello Microsoft Lumia... Now The Other Way Round!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 84 comments

Robin

Premium
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
So Microsoft has finally decided to phase out the Nokia brand in all but it's most basic phones mainly aimed at developing nations (where the Nokia name probably still has much more pull). The next round of releases will carry Microsoft Lumia branding.

Frankly the new Microsoft logo looked terrible, the Windows logo (at a slanted angle) looks much better. Seeing Microsoft written on the top of the screen looks so wrong for some reason. Today Microsoft showed mockups of what the new phones will look like.

1414163683338_wps_45_FEATbrandblog2_png.jpg

1414164381942_wps_51_greenimage3_png.jpg

As for Lumia, they name wasn't exactly popular when it came out. I would have called it the Surface phone and just have it on the back like the tablet. As long as they keep the cool Pantone colours and carry out the planned unification of Windows Phone with Windows 10 it could work out well.

Still sad the see the Nokia branding finally go from mainstream mobile phones.

Now where will people buy their indestructible phones from?

Never thought I'd see the day, I remember growing up choosing new mobile phones based on which nokia to get, Loved my 6630.

Am I right in the understanding that just the Nokia logo is getting replaced? Nokia still produces the phone, right?

Never thought I'd see the day, I remember growing up choosing new mobile phones based on which nokia to get, Loved my 6630.

I still remember the nokia phones I had.

My first ever mobile phone, the Nokia 5110, It was red, I got it when I was in year 7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_5110

My second one I got when I was in year 8 was the Nokia 3315
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3310

Then came the 3200 in year 9 and it lasted me till year 11.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3200

Then I got an LG L1100
Horrid little thing, Got rid of it a few months later

Then I got a Nokia 6600 Slide.
Used it for a long time.

Then I got a Samsung S2

And now on my Nexus 5.

I would have gone with a nokia smartphone if they used android more rather than the horrid windows phone

I still remember the nokia phones I had.

My first ever mobile phone, the Nokia 5110, It was red, I got it when I was in year 7
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_5110

My second one I got when I was in year 8 was the Nokia 3315
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3310

Then came the 3200 in year 9 and it lasted me till year 11.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nokia_3200

Then I got an LG L1100
Horrid little thing, Got rid of it a few months later

Then I got a Nokia 6600 Slide.
Used it for a long time.

Then I got a Samsung S2

And now on my Nexus 5.

I would have gone with a nokia smartphone if they used android more rather than the horrid windows phone

I remember the craze when the 6600 was released here, if you had it, you're the coolest kid on the block. Oh man the memories.

Nokia went wrong, when they decided to abandon their own OS and went to Windows Phone. I knew this day would come, but it still feels wrong to see Microsoft name in where Nokia name used to be.

Nokia went wrong, when they decided to abandon their own OS and went to Windows Phone. I knew this day would come, but it still feels wrong to see Microsoft name in where Nokia name used to be.

The decision to ditch Symbian was not a bad decision, but rather the decision to go for Windows Phone exclusively. They should've gone for Android and made just one or two phones with Windows.

They are no longer indestructible.

I'm aware of that, it was a joke reffering to when they made phones (and tablets at one point) that were seemingly impossible to damage.

The decision to ditch Symbian was not a bad decision, but rather the decision to go for Windows Phone exclusively. They should've gone for Android and made just one or two phones with Windows.
You are right about Symbian, but they had new Meego ready to go on sale just before decision to go exclusively to Windows.

You are right about Symbian, but they had new Meego ready to go on sale just before decision to go exclusively to Windows.

Yeah, but again, how successful would've Meego been? An OS lives through it's App support. Just look at Blackberry's OS, wasn't really all that successful, was it? And that's also the reason why Windows Phone does not succeed against Android and iOS.

So, Microsoft has now lowers the presence of Nokia and replace the name with "Microsoft Devices", Which is probably the most unispiring name ever to replace the long killed name. Next time you see the Lumia it will be named "Microsoft Lumia". Nokia will only be used for cheap "third world" phones, apparently because those people are either "nostalgia people or unimportant people". Its will also be implemented in its services.

Its not just the name, entire management is also changed. Factory in the Finland is now closed, probably changed to the usual 'Murica and manufactured in Chinese. The change damaged the Finnish economy greatly its PM throws a hissy fit (Blaming Apple, even though Microsoft is all behind it). All thanks to Sthepen Elop, a treacherous guy who deliberately fail to be Microsoft B**** instead of the usual partnership like most of companies do.

Thanks, Microsoft. First XBox One and now this. I lost a lot respect on you. Id rather have the old Microsoft which is Nerdy compared to the nowadays blantantly evil.

Last edited:
Its not just the name, entire management is also changed. Factory in the Finland is now closed, probably changed to the usual 'Murica and manufactured in Chinese. The change damaged the Finnish economy greatly its PM throws a hissy fit (Blaming Apple, even though Microsoft is all behind it). All thanks to Sthepen Elop, a treacherous guy who deliberately fail to be Microsoft B**** instead of the usual partnership like most of companies do.
Fixed.

Am I right in the understanding that just the Nokia logo is getting replaced? Nokia still produces the phone, right?

Well the Nokia team kinda has been merged into Microsoft for a while now so it's hard to say what constitutes being 'made by Nokia'. Still can't get why they didn't call it Surface because then their whole portable devices ecosystem would make sense.

This all reminds me of the sad day when Sony Ericsson shut shop and became Sony Xperia. They had a cool logo and it was a respected successful brand.

They are no longer indestructible.
Say that again, i have a lumia (with the Nokia brand on it still), and it's the first Nokia i ever owned that reeks of poor build quality; the volume button got broke and pushed into the phone after less than a year usage so i need to have it fixed.

I was a beast at snake II.

I got it quite large that the game froze.

Those were the days,

Snake 3 which was 3D sucked and it did not have the flow of snake II.

Not many people know but those sliver triangle things.
(seen in this pic)
Nokia-3310.jpg

Where for an attachment for the phones made for one thing only
snake.jpg

The Snakestick, a controller for snake.
Yes Nokia added a thing to their phones due to one thing that made them so popular.
SNAKE II

Last edited:
Amazing how much impact one person can have in such a big company such as Nokia. Not surprised though once Stephen Elop took over and decided to switch Nokia to OS that very few people are interested in and doing their best to abandon their successful platforms in favour of it. Interesting that first time they hire a non-finnish CEO, it leads to destuction of company but I think it is more to do with them hiring someone whose sole intentions might have been to destroy Nokia's value rather than nationality being the difference.

Nokia N900 was last Nokia phone I bought for myself, shame N950 was never released to retail.

Also a shame they never released a new Communicator device. I liked the E90:

lkjlake90red.jpg

Last edited:
I used to own one. Not in that colour, though.
There was a new black revision with flatter keys that didn't make marks on the screen, I might keep a look out for one in future if anyone sells one cheap. Might be a good collectors item and also the N950 developer version.

Sad day, I've got my Nokia Lumia 1020, and it's great, the camera is so easy to get a great picture with.

Let's be honest. Nokia didn't die when Microsoft decided to no longer put that name on their phones. Nokia's long gone. I loved my old 3310 (first phone, lasted me for almost a decade) a lot, as much as any other guy out there. Either way, Nokia decided to affiliate themselves too closely with Microsoft. Nothing to be done about that. A stupid decision to offer Windows Phone exclusively, imho. Offering Android as well might have gone a long way in retaining their independency, but it can't be helped now.

And by the way, the hate towards Microsoft seems exaggerated. It kinda makes sense for them to put their own name on what's basically their product - the Nokia brand probably hasn't had much pull for a good while. It's just business...

I shed a tear for Nokia. :(

My first phone was a hand me down Nokia 3210. My current phone is a Nokia N8. I must get a Nokia Lumia 1020 soon.

Back