RIP Nokia, Hello Microsoft Lumia... Now The Other Way Round!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 84 comments
So the non mobile phone side of Nokia (which still exists) has teased a mysterious black box for unveiling tomorrow. Looks like a step top box of some sort (which they have done in the past) but who knows. I think it's their first non mobile oriented product in quite a while. Thoughts?

nokia-up-to-something-black-box.jpg

They have said that they will focus on map services and the telecommunication equipment. I don't know, maybe it's a desktop computer or something.

Most likely Nokia TV.

Apple have Apple TV.
Google now have android TV

Microsoft want a slice of some TV pie

Most likely Nokia TV.

Apple have Apple TV.
Google now have android TV

Microsoft want a slice of some TV pie
Kinda weird considering how Microsoft has glorify their brand name so much they destroy whole phone industry.

Calling it. Its a cheap TV for "Third world garbage".

So, the mysterious device is an Android Tablet.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30096603

lol wut :lol: So Nokia has broken free of Microsoft and basically done what most thought they should have done years ago... go Andriod.

This could potentially be massive, Nokia could end up dominating the non phone consumer electronics market. They certainly have a loyal following and excellent brand image. Pity it doesn't have the form factor of the Nokia Lumia tablet which looked great.

If I had the money I would buy that just to keep in the box and have that feeling of having my very own Nokia phone...

3310 was the best of all time for me though, I still have my mums one. And after all these years it still works! Just need a SIM that fits...

Telegraph
Nokia confirms plans to return to mobile phone market

Nokia is looking for a hardware partner with which to launch new mobile devices by the end of 2016

Nokia has confirmed that it plans to re-enter the mobile phone business, and is looking for a hardware partner with which to launch a new device by late next year.

Nokia sold its phone business to Microsoft in April 2014, after years of declining sales. Its Lumia range of smartphones and tablets are now sold under the Microsoft brand.

The company launched an Android-powered tablet in November 2014, called the Nokia N1, which used Nokia's design, technology and logo under license. However, Foxconn was responsible for manufacturing, marketing, distribution, and technical support.

Now Nokia has announced it wants to start selling phones again, under a similar arrangement. It is looking for a partner that can be responsible for all of the manufacturing, sales, marketing and customer support.

"If and when we find a world-class partner who can take on those responsibilities, we would work closely with them to guide the design and technology differentiation, as we did with the Nokia N1 Android tablet," said Robert Morlino, spokesman for Nokia Technologies, in a blog post.

"That’s the only way the bar would be met for a mobile device we’d be proud to have bear the Nokia brand, and that people will love to buy."

The company said a Nokia mobile phone would not reach the market before the fourth quarter of 2016 when Nokia's agreement with partner Microsoft allows it to use the brand name again.

The official announcement comes after Nokia chief executive Rajeev Suri told the German language Manager Magazin that it was looking for suitable partners with which to re-enter the phone business last month.

Nokia Technologies president Ramzi Haidamus has also previously said there is value in designing and licensing handsets.

Well it was inevitable...

I wonder if they can get it right again and return to domination, they really need something game changing like the first iPhone.

Today Microsoft has offloaded the Nokia brand to joint bid from Foxconn and a Finnish company called HMD (made up of former Nokia employees) for just $350 million, Nokia at its height was worth $300 BILLON!

This might pave the way from them to start making phones again.

They might have a "Part of the sale includes selling windows based phones for 10 years" or some other legal crap.

When I first read the story I thought they were just getting rid of the Nokia brand but still going ahead with Lumia but it turns out Microsoft is also killing off the Lumia line so basically they are exiting the phone hardware business!

Unless they have a rumoured Surface Phone in development it's just going to be 3rd parties running Windows Phone now which, without a halo MS model, could bury it.

Man I wish they switched to Android, or (even though it's NOT gonna happen) remade Symbian. It was a legendary OS. If they made Android phones I'm sure they would succeed due to their name alone...
By the way, what's happened since May? I didn't really stay tuned on Nokia news :)

I haven't heard any news about Nokia's rebirth since MS sold it. I guess they are either trying to ramp up investors for the company or are still developing their first phone. Apparently they are going to go with Andriod.

They have the chance here to make something truely great to put them back on the map. It needs to be like N95 good, or better yet 3210 good!

Small dumbphones would be nice, not everyone can use a smartphone(mainly elderly) or some people want a basic phone that will last a week between charges or a cheap phone to give to their kids.

Small dumbphones would be nice, not everyone can use a smartphone(mainly elderly) or some people want a basic phone that will last a week between charges or a cheap phone to give to their kids.

The recent super affordable models from Nokia have been excellent and stylish. I own a Nokia 105 as a backup and was more impressed and interested in it than many other phones I had seen in a long time. There something satisfying about using a good old candy bar, brings back memories.

nokia-105-unboxing-7.jpg

Nokia has confirmed today that they will be re-entering the smartphone market in 2017. These phones will actually be made by the HMD (a company which holds a licence to the brand name) and Foxconn partnership.

I hope they bring back some of the unique designs and features that set them apart with the Lumina range without being suffocated by the Windows Phone platform. That or they will be Chinese OEM phones with a Nokia sticker!

Looks like none of them have 3G capabilities.

Real shame, australia is shutting down its 2G network.

Real shame, australia is shutting down its 2G network.

Really? Wow that's balsy. Any reason why?

I can imagine phone shops down there are having a field day particularly with older people.

I think that the old 2G frequencies are being refarmed for 4G. That, and one of the main Telco's in Australia claimed that less than 1% of traffic came from 2G devices, so it probably wasn't worth them keeping the 2G network running - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-11-22/end-of-telstra-2g-network-nears/8048170

:lol: We haven't even got full 2G coverage in all parts of the UK let alone 3G!

I hope they know what they are doing because for emergency call purposes 2G is the most reliable especially in rural areas.

:lol: We haven't even got full 2G coverage in all parts of the UK let alone 3G!

I hope they know what they are doing because for emergency call purposes 2G is the most reliable especially in rural areas.

They did the same with analog TV broadcasts.

Shut them down, to make way for our countries need to be "Special" and have its own unique LTE frequencies

The new Nokia 6 (also known as the D1C) mid range model has been unveiled, running an OS based on Android Nougat. Will be available in China only to start with as apparently they still have massive brand support there. They don't appear to have carried over any Nokia design cues from the Lumia era, it's looks like a generic OEM phone but maybe future models will be more unique.

The new Nokia 6 (also known as the D1C) mid range model has been unveiled, running an OS based on Android Nougat. Will be available in China only to start with as apparently they still have massive brand support there. They don't appear to have carried over any Nokia design cues from the Lumia era, it's looks like a generic OEM phone but maybe future models will be more unique.

I am hoping we get this in Australia, I've had the Lumia phones for the last 5ish years, driving trucks for a company with a moderate to large fleet that covers most of South Australia. I learn from other drivers what phone has access to what in regional areas, I get mobile coverage everywhere, whereas the Apple phones drop out for up to 30 minutes, the new Galaxy note drops out on the course of a journey for up to 3 hours, and its not always consistent in drop outs, even in this modern age of automotive reliability we still cant go without a reliable communication source,

I only have 2 issues with the Lumia's, #1 is battery life, my newest one only seems to have 14 hours, less if I'm streaming Spotify or radio le mans, whereas my last one, had around 24 hours, with 16 hours non stop streaming,

The second issue in assuming is the hardware in it, the last 2 I had before this one fried out the processors after 16 months, they'd start out by going into a 'hang mode' then reset themselves randomly and after about 6 weeks they would just burn out,

Even with these issues, I will remain to be a customer of the Nokia/ Microsoft phone,

Pretty cool that Nokia is bringing the 3310 back. I wonder if it will be modernised or will be a straight up reproduction of the original.

Hopefully they won't disappoint everyone like Motorola did when they hinted they were bringing back the RAZR in that teaser video.

Back