RIP Nokia, Hello Microsoft Lumia... Now The Other Way Round!

• Thread starter Robin
  • 84 comments
Pretty cool that Nokia is bringing the 3310 back. I wonder if it will be modernised or will be a straight up reproduction of the original.

Hopefully they won't disappoint everyone like Motorola did when they hinted they were bringing back the RAZR in that teaser video.
They should just reproduce the original. A "modernized" 3310 won't be as indestructible.

They should just reproduce the original. A "modernized" 3310 won't be as indestructible.

It was the indestructibility that brought the company down! If you have a 3310/ 3315 there is absolutely no need to update unless you have to have a smart phone!

I hope they give it a minor update though, 4G compatibility, colour screen, etc,

It was the indestructibility that brought the company down!

Not really.

Things that brought them down.

Sticking with symbian rather than going with android
Not changing to market conditions fast enough.
Sticking with Windows Phone OS
Apple.

When apple released the first iphone it was the new hotness.

The iPhone in 2008 killed all the big players in the market at the time, Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Motorola, Blackberry...

It took until when Andriod gained traction for the smaller fish brands like Samsung and LG to suddenly lead the charge. Anyone who remained on Symbian or some other proprietary OS got toasted.

Not really.

Things that brought them down.

Sticking with symbian rather than going with android
Not changing to market conditions fast enough.
Sticking with Windows Phone OS
Apple.

When apple released the first iphone it was the new hotness.

It was meant as a joke......

I really don't get the iphone fad, I genuinely cant stand them, I got one when they first hit Australia and I hated it that much I ran it over with my truck, and went to Blackberry,

Nokia might be launching its new phones including the reboot 3310 tomorrow in thier MWC press conference which starts Sun at 3:30pm GMT.

New 3310...

upload_2017-2-26_16-36-37.png

RBDRAe6JPpRUFqyWACGW5Q-1200-80.jpg

Last edited:
Not totally sold on that. The 3310 was the first handset I ever used, both my parents had one. Still have one sitting around actually. The new one... I am not sure. Unmistakably a Nokia 3310 of course, but it is lacking the brick nature that I really liked about the original. Will I get one... I am on the fence on it...

Well that sucks, why couldn't they have modernized it with a camera and 4G???
Probably for the same reason why an Indian market Suzuki Alto wouldn't come with all of the luxury features you'd expect in a mid-spec BMW 3-Series. It's cheaper to make it without those and considering that they are targeting the low-budget end of the 3rd world market with it, there's no reason to make them more expensive to build by giving it those features even if they'd make it a better buy in whichever 1st world country you happen to live in.

Well that sucks, why couldn't they have modernized it with a camera and 4G???

It does have a camera, 2MP rear one. The 3310 is more of a marketing stunt rather than a serious phone. If they are to survive as a company they want you to buy the Nokia 3 smartphone with all the mod con's.

If they are to survive as a company they want you to buy the Nokia 3 smartphone with all the mod con's.

Which is a pity for them, as this new 3310 is the first time I've ever got excited about a phone; I actually want one. The idea of feeling a want for any phone is completely alien to me. As the speaker on my current phone is getting worse and worse I might actually buy one, which would be another first - I've just used hand-me-downs for the last 17 years.

Or I'll just get something for a tenner from the Carphone Warehouse, whatever.

Roo
Which is a pity for them, as this new 3310 is the first time I've ever got excited about a phone; I actually want one. The idea of feeling a want for any phone is completely alien to me. As the speaker on my current phone is getting worse and worse I might actually buy one, which would be another first - I've just used hand-me-downs for the last 17 years.

Or I'll just get something for a tenner from the Carphone Warehouse, whatever.

Yeah I was excited for this as well, just wish they updated it, or I hope they do make an updated version for the Australian market, a 4G version I'd buy it on day 1,

Nokia has released the 3310(3G)

This is just like the idiotic version they released earlier but it now has 3G support.

https://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_3310_3g-8876.php

Well at least they came to their senses seeing as it wasn't going to work in many countries.

Was thinking about this phone the other day, it's such a pity the casing was not identical to the original just with updated internals and a new screen. Looks nothing like the original, the only thing 3310 about it is the name.

As for Nokia in general their new Andriod phones haven't exactly set the world alight.

Well at least they came to their senses seeing as it wasn't going to work in many countries.

Was thinking about this phone the other day, it's such a pity the casing was not identical to the original just with updated internals and a new screen. Looks nothing like the original, the only thing 3310 about it is the name.

As for Nokia in general their new Andriod phones haven't exactly set the world alight.

Thing is many of their other dumb phones they're making are still 2G.

I know they want to sell to developing countries but it does seem stupid they just dont provide 2G/3G models to all markets.
This way they dont have to redesign the phones PCB for the new network chip.

The only difference besides the cellular network on the 3310s is the 2G has bluetooth 3.0 where as the 3G has 2.1.

Last edited:
Thing is many of their other dumb phones they're making are still 2G.

I know they want to sell to developing countries but it does seem stupid they just dont provide 2G/3G models to all markets.
This way they dont have to redesign the phones PCB for the new network chip.

What makes you think they didn't already do that? They're not complete idiots, you know. And why pay for release licensing in territories where you're not going to provide the service? Not all mobile markets are high-g hungry.

What makes you think they didn't already do that? They're not complete idiots, you know. And why pay for release licensing in territories where you're not going to provide the service? Not all mobile markets are high-g hungry.

But it does seem more efficient to make one PCB design around the 3G chip than one on the 2G and then redesign it for the 3G even if a country is developing and not using huge amounts of data.

Continuing the retro thing Nokia is bringing back the 8110, best remembered as the phone used in the Matrix movie.

upload_2018-2-25_18-39-27.png

Back