RKM Motorsport - Tuned Tuners - May '13

So i bought an RX7 and followed your mods and i'm very impressed. In the past Gt's i avoided FR cars because I didn't know how to tune them properly, but that's all changed now. That Mazda is a beast and yet it's as thought it's glued to the road. It handles unbelievably great. I can't wait to make some more credits to try out your other mods.

Tried the Civic tune last night and was getting off-throttle understeer using Sport Soft tires. That the way it's supposed to be set up?
It's supposed to bring the nose in gently off-throttle rather than suddenly. Using the brakes help too. It may be that you're going in too hot for the car's liking.
Trying to fine tune it on some other courses. I'm a noob so I seem to be making things better rather than worse. Any tips on scrubbing off some understeer or making the rear not kick out under braking?

You can soften the rear springs or stiffen the front springs. That'll make the car less likely to understeer. As for the rear kicking out under braking, try adjusting the brake balance so the front is stronger. 👍

It's supposed to bring the nose in gently off-throttle rather than suddenly. Using the brakes help too. It may be that you're going in too hot for the car's liking.

Guess I'm just not used to that. I'll tweak it a bit and see if I can get it suited for my driving style. 👍

I'm in love with my Scuderia all over again. Mine's a little different. 648HP/404Ft-Lb. The only production car I've actually maxed the HP on and it handles every bit of it with your settings. I also prefer Soft Racing slicks as I think the understeer trade off is worth it as I can take most turns at higher speed so long as I run the proper race line. I ran a 1:44.668 at Monza chicane version and my previous best with the Scud was 1:52.779. Big difference! It does have a slight tendency to kick the rear end out sometimes under heavy braking but it's nothing being a little more careful hasn't already fixed.
On a side note: I REALLY wish PD would've given the Scud the Race Mod treatment. Or at least the F430. Oh well...

Next up: The R34. It's also a little beefier than yours. Somewhere around 493HP I think. Also uses soft slicks. Because of the soft slicks, it will have some nasty understeer if I don't hit the apex just right, but when I hit it just right at the right speed, it makes it all worth it. Such a beautiful car. One of my favorites.

Thanks for the tunes man. Looking forward to whatever else you throw our way!

EDIT: Wow. Just transferred the Z06 tune over to my 784HP ZR-1 RM and it is absolutely stunning. Soft racing slicks instead of mediums though. Ran a 136.279 at Monza chicane. My fully upgraded and tuned Zonda R ran a 1:34.667 so that's really saying something. I was really happy with the ZR-1 before by just maxing out the F/R downforce but I had no idea what it was really capable of until I ran it with this setup.

Last edited:
Racing soft tires seem to play merry hell with some of my cars and not so much on others. Glad to hear the Scud and Z06 setups suited you well; Z06 is probably the one least affected by the soft slicks as it runs medium slicks in my configuration so it's (to a degree) set up for the extra grip.

Also, there's a storm coming... Currently at 3 vehicles ready to go from my side alone, and if Roj can get the time we'll be seeing a few from him as well.

Got some problems with the Skyline R34 fully tuned, the problem is the understeer, this setup works with a more powerful R34? Will this tune fix the understeer of that car?

Thanks for sharing :)

Last edited:
Just a quick note to everyone, I've got college assignment deadlines coming up pretty quick and then I'm off on holiday overseas for the Christmas break. I'll try and get a few new tunes up before I go. 👍

Next up: The R34. It's also a little beefier than yours. Somewhere around 493HP I think. Also uses soft slicks. Because of the soft slicks, it will have some nasty understeer if I don't hit the apex just right, but when I hit it just right at the right speed, it makes it all worth it. Such a beautiful car. One of my favorites.
You'd probably feel alot less understeer with sports tyres. Since you're only using 493bhp, racing tyres would provide way more grip than what you need and actually prevents the car from rotating easily.
Got some problems with the Skyline R34 fully tuned, the problem is the understeer, this setup works with a more powerful R34? Will this tune fix the understeer of that car?

Thanks for sharing :)
It might fix the understeer, I cant tell for certain because you've got more power than what I used. That said, it should remove some of the understeer at the very least. 👍

I just had the great honor of testing first the Civic EK9 setup, and then following after that the even more amazing NSX setup you have made.

Let me just start off with the Civic. I tested this one on Nürburgring Nordschleife, as all cars should be tested on as far as im concerned. And man what a treat it was. The car has great balance, and it feels great in the corners. The wheels fit perfectly with the torque and overall power of the car. Diving in to corners with good controll. The only thing I can really nitpick on is that it felt a bit wobbly on the rear over long high speed corners, but that only lasted 5 seconds, and then nothing else to pick on. It's almost imposible to break traction with this car. I did so once over speeding a bit in to a corner. That was how ever the first,and only time. You think you constantly do, but you really don't. Driving it at roughly 80% with a G25, no help options, it managed to get up to 8:37:337. That is exactly 0.9seconds behind a RUF BTR. To me, that is insanely fast for a FWD car. Overall, this car with this setup is a dream to drive, and really makes the FWD shine. I have no doubts in my mind,that on smaller tracks, this car will dominate hard, regardless drivetrain of oponents.

Now, to the NSX Type R. Oh my god. I had to double check two times after completing my lap to check I was not running on Racing Soft. I just could not belive it handled this well. So much stability, and overall handling it performs with Sports tires was beyond my recognition. Now, I have driven cars with Racing Softs plenty of times, yet none have felt as good as this NSX with the Tune it comes with. The standard tune that the NSX Type R comes with can't even come close to get all the great ability the NSX has to offer. To put it to contrast, a Cusco Dunlop GT 300 car with Racing Soft on 'the ring came in at around 7:26:xxx. This is a fast car. And its purpose built for racing. How ever, the lovely NSX pulls out a whopping 7 seconds ahead, clocking in at 7:19:516. To me, this is the perfect setup, for the perfect car. I don't care if a Ferrari F1 is gonna be faster, it just don't feel like it is. Coming directly from the Civic over to the NSX is two very diffrent beasts. Yet they have so much in common. Both platforms are amazing with the right setup, and this setup really puts it over the top for both. The car is easy to feel when is about to loose controll, though hardly Ever does. It just makes you want to hit the pedal harder,and deeper. In total controll at all times.
Handling, corner entry, corner exit, everything just clicks. Most stable car ever. Easy as that. I love it.

Side note, tried the LFA GT setup. Man that thing is not very forgiving. Not anywhere near as unforgiving as the Yellowbird, but it's quite relaxing to drive as long as very gentle on the throttle after corners and brake in good time. It's pretty bonkers. Fun fact though is that it's roughly 0.6 seconds behind the NSX setup.

Now to stop talking, and just end it with that both are *very* warmly recomended for everyone. And im going to be trying all the setups coming out from you guys in the future. Defenatly a 10/10 setup x2.

If space in the future, I would love to get a RUF Yellowbird setup, with a bit of extra horsepower and torque, as I want to run one in the 24H Endurance soon, doing it all in one go. I'll gladly send my fully tuned ( as parts, not setup ) if that helps. Best of luck with the shop guys!

Last edited:
I decided to try out the Gallardo tune. After experiencing the savagery of the LFA GT I opted for the stage 1 engine tuning for a more manageable 640bhp on the Nurburgring.

I think I may have found my new favourite car! Was expecting it to be a death trap like its bigger brother but I could not have been more wrong. I slammed on the brakes into the first corner and to my suprise I didn't end up facing the opposite direction. Full throttle off the clipping point and I didn't have to correct it at all. WTF! It handles like a Super GT racer, only much, much quicker :sly:

I did a 7:09 and it was far from a perfect run. Keep in mind I'm not a great driver :dopey: really good tune.

Edit: forgot to add. I did a stage 3 weight reduction.

Last edited:
I just had the great honor of testing first the Civic EK9 setup, and then following after that the even more amazing NSX setup you have made.

Let me just start off with the Civic. I tested this one on Nürburgring Nordschleife, as all cars should be tested on as far as im concerned. And man what a treat it was. The car has great balance, and it feels great in the corners. The wheels fit perfectly with the torque and overall power of the car. Diving in to corners with good controll. The only thing I can really nitpick on is that it felt a bit wobbly on the rear over long high speed corners, but that only lasted 5 seconds, and then nothing else to pick on. It's almost imposible to break traction with this car. I did so once over speeding a bit in to a corner. That was how ever the first,and only time. You think you constantly do, but you really don't. Driving it at roughly 80% with a G25, no help options, it managed to get up to 8:37:337. That is exactly 0.9seconds behind a RUF BTR. To me, that is insanely fast for a FWD car. Overall, this car with this setup is a dream to drive, and really makes the FWD shine. I have no doubts in my mind,that on smaller tracks, this car will dominate hard, regardless drivetrain of oponents.

Now, to the NSX Type R. Oh my god. I had to double check two times after completing my lap to check I was not running on Racing Soft. I just could not belive it handled this well. So much stability, and overall handling it performs with Sports tires was beyond my recognition. Now, I have driven cars with Racing Softs plenty of times, yet none have felt as good as this NSX with the Tune it comes with. The standard tune that the NSX Type R comes with can't even come close to get all the great ability the NSX has to offer. To put it to contrast, a Cusco Dunlop GT 300 car with Racing Soft on 'the ring came in at around 7:26:xxx. This is a fast car. And its purpose built for racing. How ever, the lovely NSX pulls out a whopping 7 seconds ahead, clocking in at 7:19:516. To me, this is the perfect setup, for the perfect car. I don't care if a Ferrari F1 is gonna be faster, it just don't feel like it is. Coming directly from the Civic over to the NSX is two very diffrent beasts. Yet they have so much in common. Both platforms are amazing with the right setup, and this setup really puts it over the top for both. The car is easy to feel when is about to loose controll, though hardly Ever does. It just makes you want to hit the pedal harder,and deeper. In total controll at all times.
Handling, corner entry, corner exit, everything just clicks. Most stable car ever. Easy as that. I love it.

Now to stop talking, and just end it with that both are *very* warmly recomended for everyone. And im going to be trying all the setups coming out from you guys in the future. Defenatly a 10/10 setup x2.

If space in the future, I would love to get a RUF Yellowbird setup, with a bit of extra horsepower and torque, as I want to run one in the 24H Endurance soon, doing it all in one go. I'll gladly send my fully tuned ( as parts, not setup ) if that helps. Best of luck with the shop guys!

First off, amazing reviews! :drool:

The Civic was intended to change people's minds about FWD. 0.9 seconds behind a BTR is clearly enough to do so. :sly: The wobbles at high speed I can only chalk down to the rear not wanting to stay firmly on the ground, since there's little weight and no downforce back there. Glad you liked it so much! :D

Thanks for the kind words! If RJ has the time I think he'd be able to take your request. I'd love to do it but unfortunately as I said before your post, I've got college work at priority #1 right now. :guilty:

The NSX is still my favourite tune to date. It's got 3 years of tuning behind it (starting from it's GT4 debut. As a GT5 car it's not even a month old! :lol:) and I'm glad it shows! That insane grip combined with the almost fool-proof handling is why I love the thing so much. And on sports tyres no less! Poor Cusco, poor poor Cusco. :lol:

I just used your NSX-R tune and put my NSX to test online at Monza.

The difference is just unbelievable!
I used to use my own tune which was absolute garbage and was spinning out because the backend seems to lock up for some reason. With the tune from you i can just push the car and not worry about any traction loss. Yes it does happen when you push it a bit too far on the turn 7. But nothing that cant be corrected.

monza_circuit.jpg

I was using racing softs, so the traction was at the best level. It's incredible at taking turns!
The speed isnt amazing since the car cant be modded with any turbo but it really makes up for it when taking corners.
When i first saw the ride height settings, i thought -25/-25 was a bit overkill and unlikely to make it better but after i changed it, i was very very impressed.

I am really tempted to try out the Ferrari 430 tune but i have to buy the car and i am quite skint after buying the 787B.

I got the Mazda 787B that needs a good tuning, it would be an honour if you guys could tune it! :D

Last edited:
I just used your NSX-R tune and put my NSX to test online at Monza.

The difference is just unbelievable!
I used to use my own tune which was absolute garbage and was spinning out because the backend seems to lock up for some reason. With the tune from you i can just push the car and not worry about any traction loss. Yes it does happen when you push it a bit too far on the turn 7. But nothing that cant be corrected.

http://autoandracingnews.com/arn/2010/09/monza_circuit.jpg

I was using racing softs, so the traction was at the best level. It's incredible at taking turns!
The speed isnt amazing since the car cant be modded with any turbo but it really makes up for it when taking corners.
When i first saw the ride height settings, i thought -25/-25 was a bit overkill and unlikely to make it better but after i changed it, i was very very impressed.

I am really tempted to try out the Ferrari 430 tune but i have to buy the car and i am quite skint after buying the 787B.

I got the Mazda 787B that needs a good tuning, it would be an honour if you guys could tune it! :D
With racing softs you could probably run more power than what I've specced for sports tyres. 👍 It's really enjoyable at Monza, spanking all those supercars. :sly: Thanks for the review!

I have a stealth 787B, but the settings should work on a normal 787B. If anything you'd just have to buy some missing parts, if any. It's more for driving control rather than pure speed, if you'd like I can PM you a quick settings list later on.

I have college now, later guys! :)

I actually improved my ZR-1 time by adjusting the brake balance from 5/9 or whatever it was to 7/5. It didn't really happen at Monza but I got some bad rear end kickout under heavy braking at Lauguna Seca. Do you mind if I ask why you make the brake balance heavier in the rear?

RKM Motorsport’s Corvette C6 Z06/R

CorvetteC6Z06R.jpg

CorvetteC6Z06R_Big.jpg

Based on: Chevrolet Corvette Z06 (C6) RM ‘06
Obtained: Brand new from Chevrolet

Drivetrain: FR
Horsepower: 865 BHP (@ 240.4 miles)
Torque:---- 99 kgfm
Weight:---- 1090 kg

PARTS
GT Auto

Oil Change
Racing Modifications

Tuning Shop
Rigidity Improvement
Engine Tuning Stage 3
Sports ECU
Sports Intake Manifold
Racing Air Filter
Titanium Racing Exhaust
Sports Exhaust Manifold
Catalytic Converter: Sports
Supercharger
Fully Customisable Transmission
Twin Plate Clutch
Semi Racing Flywheel
Carbon Propeller Shaft
Fully Customisable LSD
Fully Customisable Suspension Kit
Racing Medium Tyres

SETUP

Body/Chassis
Aerodynamics

Downforce: 35/60

Transmission
Transmission

1st:-- 3.754
2nd:-- 2.396
3rd:-- 1.695
4th:-- 1.262
5th:-- 0.989
6th:-- 0.781
Final: 3.420
Max Speed: 249 MPH

Drivetrain
Differential

Initial: 0/7
Accel:-- 0/25
Braking: 0/5

Suspension
Suspension

Ride Height: 0/10
Spring Rate: 13.5/7.5
Extension:-- 8/9
Compression: 5/6
Anti-Roll:-- 5/7
Camber:----- 2.9/2.8
Toe:-------- 0.15/-0.25

Brakes
Brake Balance Controller

Brake Balance: 5/9

Intended Driving Options
Transmission: Manual (MT)
ABS: 1
Everything else: OFF

Tuner Comments:
C6R not fast enough? Looking for something that resembles a road car yet can destroy Group Cs and LMPs? Here you go.

It's a bit on the insane side... Good luck.

👎 try again..... It has way to much camber. Way to much rear braking. The LSD is in left field.
On the good side the car feels great in a turn and puts the power to ground really well. I played with it for a couple of mins to get it more stable while braking. Try this out and tell me what you think.

Adjust LSD:7/25/44
Camber:1.5/1.0
Brakes:5/2

There are still a couple of things I want to adjust. It is still hazing the outside rear tire while exiting a turn and the outside front is getting warmer than I want it to while making a tight turn. The suspension is tight enough to where it shouldn't require as much camber. I'll play it with it some more later on.

It might fix the understeer, I cant tell for certain because you've got more power than what I used. That said, it should remove some of the understeer at the very least. 👍

It still sux at corners, too much power i guess, i used to love this car years ago but i feel it really bad right now

It's better than the basic setup i got, but still...

Thanks anyway, tested the Supra tune and it works fine

Mach 1 is perfect won a lot of races with it in A-spec and B-spec. Handles like a champ only thing I do different is put everything on it and go with soft slicks, I respect the street legal movement you guys go with, personally I like to push it to the limit keep doing a great job and thank you for the help you guys even got me thinking about buying a wheel. thanks again.

With racing softs you could probably run more power than what I've specced for sports tyres. 👍 It's really enjoyable at Monza, spanking all those supercars. :sly: Thanks for the review!

I have a stealth 787B, but the settings should work on a normal 787B. If anything you'd just have to buy some missing parts, if any. It's more for driving control rather than pure speed, if you'd like I can PM you a quick settings list later on.

I have college now, later guys! :)

I forgot to add, that my NSX is fully built with max hp. So the sport tires is more than able to handle the extra power. 👍

The way it's set up at the moment,it should be able to handle at least 600BHP before you would get any real problems with the sport tyres. Sadly, you cannot to do so.

Loooong time lurker, first time poster.

Just wanted to give you guys thumbs up on the Mach 1 tune. Very nice, the car feels awesome and I've been winning (and enjoying) a lot of races with it. Thanks!

You can soften the rear springs or stiffen the front springs. That'll make the car less likely to understeer. As for the rear kicking out under braking, try adjusting the brake balance so the front is stronger. 👍

Thanks for the advice! Just approaching tuning from a physics point of view, wouldn't making the front brake balance stronger cause the rear to kick out more? :scared:

I actually improved my ZR-1 time by adjusting the brake balance from 5/9 or whatever it was to 7/5. It didn't really happen at Monza but I got some bad rear end kickout under heavy braking at Lauguna Seca. Do you mind if I ask why you make the brake balance heavier in the rear?

My driving style mostly. With the brake balance as it is I find I can rotate the car into the corner easier and correct for instability under braking with a tiny bit of throttle where needed; also, in a perfectly straight line with ABS on 1 it is IMPOSSIBLE to have too much rear brake bias as the rears will NEVER show stress. It IS however possible to have too much on the front and stress them.

👎 try again..... It has way to much camber. Way to much rear braking. The LSD is in left field.
On the good side the car feels great in a turn and puts the power to ground really well. I played with it for a couple of mins to get it more stable while braking. Try this out and tell me what you think.

Adjust LSD:7/25/44
Camber:1.5/1.0
Brakes:5/2

There are still a couple of things I want to adjust. It is still hazing the outside rear tire while exiting a turn and the outside front is getting warmer than I want it to while making a tight turn. The suspension is tight enough to where it shouldn't require as much camber. I'll play it with it some more later on.

The LSD is in left field? Really? What if I wasn't tuning for stability and a nice, comforting push at the limit? What if I built a car to be fast at the expense of running the chance of it biting back? Brakes are the same deal (and yes I realize the car becomes completely undriveable with them when ABS is off). I found the highish front camber to help with entry under braking (reduced stress of the outside front) and the rear camber settings to help get the power down on exit. It may sound a bit off but trust me, I wouldn't have done it if it didn't help the car in my hands.

Although, it must all work out... "On the good side the car feels great in a turn and puts the power to ground really well." If the camber settings were too high, it would understeer like a pig on entry and spin the tires like mad on exit. It doesn't.

Mach 1 is perfect won a lot of races with it in A-spec and B-spec. Handles like a champ only thing I do different is put everything on it and go with soft slicks, I respect the street legal movement you guys go with, personally I like to push it to the limit keep doing a great job and thank you for the help you guys even got me thinking about buying a wheel. thanks again.

Would've been nice to have the car reviewed as it was meant, but I guess we'll take what we can get.

Isn't it the other way around?
ie. Decrease understeer = soften front & stiffen rear

Normally it would be, but I've noticed with a good few FR cars (mostly those with a slightly forward weight balance) that softer rear springs actually reduce understeer; it's all about getting weight off that outside front. They also help straight-line traction while slightly negatively affecting traction out of the corner (more stress on the outside rear tire).

Normally it would be, but I've noticed with a good few FR cars (mostly those with a slightly forward weight balance) that softer rear springs actually reduce understeer; it's all about getting weight off that outside front. They also help straight-line traction while slightly negatively affecting traction out of the corner (more stress on the outside rear tire).

Very good point! Would seem useful for a car like the Viper.

However, when we do weight reduction in GT5, how do we know where the weight is lost? ie. Do we know the weight distribution impact from front to rear?

It still sux at corners, too much power i guess, i used to love this car years ago but i feel it really bad right now

It's better than the basic setup i got, but still...

Thanks anyway, tested the Supra tune and it works fine
It's alright. It might just need a whole new setting for higher power.

Glad the Supra works for you.
I forgot to add, that my NSX is fully built with max hp. So the sport tires is more than able to handle the extra power. 👍

The way it's set up at the moment,it should be able to handle at least 600BHP before you would get any real problems with the sport tyres. Sadly, you cannot to do so.
Oh, well that explains it. :P Thanks for letting me know it can handle max power. :D

My dream is to make a supercharged NSX with 500+ bhp. Please make it happen someday, Kaz. :lol:
You can only upgrade the Honda NSX-R to about 470 BHP, am i right?
Correct.
Thanks for the advice! Just approaching tuning from a physics point of view, wouldn't making the front brake balance stronger cause the rear to kick out more? :scared:

I approach tuning from a "feel" point of view. I disregard real life physics if my way feels better. :P From my feeling, making the front stronger will keep it straighter under braking. Same with the suspension. I a stiff front and soft rear feels alot better and not understeery at all. :)

The LSD is in left field? Really? What if I wasn't tuning for stability and a nice, comforting push at the limit? What if I built a car to be fast at the expense of running the chance of it biting back? Brakes are the same deal (and yes I realize the car becomes completely undriveable with them when ABS is off). I found the highish front camber to help with entry under braking (reduced stress of the outside front) and the rear camber settings to help get the power down on exit. It may sound a bit off but trust me, I wouldn't have done it if it didn't help the car in my hands.

Although, it must all work out... "On the good side the car feels great in a turn and puts the power to ground really well." If the camber settings were too high, it would understeer like a pig on entry and spin the tires like mad on exit. It doesn't.
Don't ask for reviews if you can't take the criticism.... Did you even try what I mentioned? What's the point in a setup as loose in the rear as it is if every time you jump on the brakes it darts off into a wall. Occasionally you'll get lucky and it may turn the direction you want it to but the setup is far from consistent.
While on the subject of the camber. You're not utilizing all of that camber with the spring setup that you have. The car is way to tight to even scuff the outsides of the tires.
I played around with it a little more and found if you straighten the tow out in the rear and bump the abs up to 2 the car is alot easier to manage on the brakes. Then take a little bit of ARB away from the front to make it turn the way it did and you have practically the same setup that can not only brake in a straight line but even turn while doing it. It's still loose enough that you can use the brakes or throttle to help steer the car.
BTW don't even think about taking the setup to a track with a few bumps. The slightest bump at speed will send it into a wall. With a few tweaks I think you have the start to a very nice setup for a smooth track.

This is a message for the tuners who run this showtread, i believe the hardest car to tune is the zonda r 09. It's just so powerful. I've spent actual hours tuning it in very tiny increments and it's pretty good now if i drive at my best i can beat nurber in gt all stars. But its hard... Can you tune one in the future? I will gladly share my tune info with all of you if you agree. Next post will contain tune info.

Back