Robot WarsTV 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 593 comments
Untelevised means a fight that was shown as Audience entertainment, rather than part of the episodes. These "Whiteboard Matches" happened last time as well. I saw a Whiteboard between 2 robots when I was at filming, and one of those won't be appearing in the main series. Take that video with a grain of salt, as you never know.

Though I doubt two heat finalists with guaranteed seedings wouldn't be returning to the competition. Behemoth especially since they've been fighting continuously with a robot that basically has not changed since the Third Wars.

Though I doubt two heat finalists with guaranteed seedings wouldn't be returning to the competition. Behemoth especially since they've been fighting continuously with a robot that basically has not changed since the Third Wars.
Put it this way, I do or don't know about whether either of them will appear on the show, but I am trying to avoid any spoilers about who is involved until it comes from official sources.

New Top Gear also starts on 5th March, looking forward to that day more now!

Whose genius idea was it to have Apollo and Carbide in the same heat? This is why they needed seedings. If they had them the traditional way they would been split as such:

Heat A - Apollo and Behemoth
Heat B - Thor and Push To Exit (Dantomkia)
Heat C - Pulsar and PP3D
Heat D - Aftershock and Terrorhurtz
Heat E - Carbide and Cherub (Gabriel)

Assuming a seeding of this:

1. Apollo
2. Carbide
3. Thor
4. Aftershock
5. Pulsar
6. Behemoth
7. Cherub
8. Push To Exit
9. Terrorhurtz
10. PP3D

Whose genius idea was it to have Apollo and Carbide in the same heat? This is why they needed seedings. If they had them the traditional way they would been split as such:

Heat A - Apollo and Behemoth
Heat B - Thor and Push To Exit (Dantomkia)
Heat C - Pulsar and PP3D
Heat D - Aftershock and Terrorhurtz
Heat E - Carbide and Cherub (Gabriel)

Assuming a seeding of this:

1. Apollo
2. Carbide
3. Thor
4. Aftershock
5. Pulsar
6. Behemoth
7. Cherub
8. Push To Exit
9. Terrorhurtz
10. PP3D
It was probably deliberate. No idea why. Hopefully it will become clear when the episode is broadcast. The teams may have asked to be placed in the same heat, you never know.

Whoever loses will probably be the wild card anyway, those two will cruise their way to the heat final.

Aftershock is too powerful for me. Hypno-Disc was able to spread the destruction over a three-minute fight, with Aftershock it's one hit and they're out.

It was Aftershock versus the rest, Sabretooth was the real story for me, to go in to the show with no professional TV wins and make it to the heat final having patched up the robot twice is quite something and everyone involved deserves a lot of credit. 👍

Decent start to the series.

My analysis:

Nuts 2: Only one wheel was working which is why it was spinning in circles (which oddly enough it's meant to do anyway), which is a shame as this one was far better than last year's.

TMHWK: Did nothing.

Crank-E: Did nothing.

Jellyfish: Would have been fun if it could do anything interesting.

Rapid: Shame they had to forfeit, sometimes a simpler machine is better.

Terrorhurtz: Apparently they're not a resistant to spinners as they used to be.

Sabre Tooth: Suffered near-fatal damage in nearly every fight so they never really got going, finally won a fight at least.

Aftershock: Possibly too powerful, or just weak opponents? There's no fun in seeing a one-hit
kill.

There are some serious robots competing next week, six of them are easily capable of winning the heat.

Terrorhurtz is built to deal with horizontal spinners, Carbide couldn't do anything to them last year. The vertical spinners can cause damage to the bottom of that wedge, which was their undoing.

Okay...

Hobgoblin: How people still build robots without srimechs is beyond me, not that it would've mattered anyway as that innovative weapon didn't look like it was spinning particularly fast.

Cobra: It's clear that Behemoth and Eruption were avoiding each other, though Cobra wasn't really the right size to grab either of them effectively.

Push To Exit: That thing is really fast, but front-hinged flippers are always gonna have a harder time attacking robots than their traditional rear-hinged counterparts.

Draven: Always gonna support them as they're from Melksham, the adjacent town to mine. This time they actually got involved, far more than Cherub, so it's a shame they had to go.

Behemoth: They've always had bad luck, however considering they've been involved since the Second Wars I'm not overly impressed with their driving skill either. That grabber attachment was powered only by the bungee that pulls the scoop down, so even if it worked it wouldn't have been very effective.

PP3D: Over-powered like Aftershock, but destroys itself more than their opponents. Didn't do much damage but my God that hit on Cherub was huge. That's the third time now that Gary Cairns has smashed the arena wall!

Cherub: I'm gonna need to look at their fight with PP3D again because it's hard to justify a unanimous victory when they were knocked out when they hit and broke the wall. I get the win over Behemoth but they were barely working the whole heat.

Eruption: Well, well, well. Incredibly precise, polished and methodical performance from them. They're now tied with Atomic for most consecutive OOtA flips, and hold the record for shortest battle in Robot Wars history, beating Gravity from the Seventh Wars by one second!

Eruption was really impressive, PP3D's hit on Cherub was huge!, Behemoth got complacent by using that grabber scoop IMO, they would have won if they used their regular scoop but they got cocky and team member walking out was petty and petulant, Cherub were pretty good too.

Honestly have no idea how the unanimous decision went against PP3D, Cherub barely functioned at all during the fight.

Eruption was smart and tidy in all its fights. A bit like watching Aftershock last week but a bit more fun to watch since it involved more than just an absurdly powerful weapon.

You've got to feel for Behemoth and the team captain. Cherub was pretty much a non entity the entire episode (much like the dad's robot last season) but still sponged a way to the final. Fair play to the kids but I personally think getting to the heat final just proved how little impact it had on the episode as a whole. I wonder how long a fight between it and Jelly would have went on for...

I get giving Cherub the win over Behemoth, and sort of with PP3D because before the hit that broke the wall, Cherub were the ones resisting in the hits, whereas PP3D jolted around all over the place. You can't always assume that the spinner robot should get the points in contacts because they have a spinner.

Behemoth I think is simply not good enough. The design has barely changed at all since the Third Wars. They've made it out of the heats once in eight attempts, and if they ever had I can't see them getting passed the first fight. The robot is strong and powerful, but the weapon just isn't good enough, and considering how long they've been doing this the driving isn't very good either.

I watched the battles again while writing up the articles on the Robot Wars wiki, and while I disagree with both of Cherub's wins, I do see where the judges were coming from.

Against PP3D, Cherub really only took 1 hit, as the others from PP3D were Cherub driving in, and PP3D being deflected up. As aggression scores the most points in the criteria, Cherub would be on top. The hit that disabled the both of them was instant death for both, so doesn't count for anything.

With Behemoth, Cherub won the battle. But it should have been a Behemoth victory because they put Cherub under the flipper. It's an immobilisation victory, in the same way as the pit and out of the arena is. Behemoth should have won it there, and I think were cheated out of a deserved win.

It's bizarre that getting trapped under the flipper is not something foreseen by the judges, it's happened before!

Anthony storming off is frankly one of the TV highlights of the year.

cherub.jpg

Brilliant episode, it was clear from all the build up that Behemoth vs Cherub was the episodes climax really. I think Cherub were very lucky against PP3D but I understand why they won from the first 20 seconds or so. Forget the BIG hit later, they took a hit right at the start with ease and then continued to drive into PP3D which caused problems without the spinner up at speed. They also then pressed the button (I forget what it is actually called) and from then were unlucky. Dead Metal went for them and did very little itself. What it meant though was that PP3D were allowed a few seconds to get the spinner buzzing at maximum, and then the rest is history...

I've never liked Behemoth really, I couldn't explain to my wife why I didn't like them though. And then Anthony walks out at the decision. Then I remember. It doesn't matter if you are annoyed at your team mates, you congratulate the other team. Especially when they are kids.

I never liked Behemoth in the old series because they were held in such high regard despite being completely average in performance. In Extreme they were described as "indestructible" and "almost unbeatable" despite having more losses than any other robot. They made the semi-finals once in six attempts, admittedly there were mechanical issues but considering how long they've been doing this the driving isn't really up to scratch either.

It looks like it was made from Meccano, and since it's introduction it has gone from a box on wheels with a scoop, to a box on wheels with a scoop and the ability to self right.

Back