Robot WarsTV 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 593 comments
Final was superbly entertaining. No big surprises, not sure if that is a good or bad thing at this stage, but the best two robots reached the final bout, in my opinion, and the best (and most relentless) one ruled. Hoping for an appearance by something by the Hypnodisc boys or perhaps Chaos 3 in the next series?

Final was superbly entertaining. No big surprises, not sure if that is a good or bad thing at this stage, but the best two robots reached the final bout, in my opinion, and the best (and most relentless) one ruled. Hoping for an appearance by something by the Hypnodisc boys or perhaps Chaos 3 in the next series?

Hypno-Disc have expressed in returning, Chaos 2 and George Francis absolutely not.

Okay...

Apollo: A little surprised that they were chosen as the wild card considering the state they were in after their heat, but then again the only other real contender was Thor whose performance in their heat wasn't brilliant.

Concussion: They got ganged up on but they had the least powerful disc in the final so they wouldn't have gone through anyway.

Aftershock: One of the issues with heavy discs is that it leaves less weight allowance for armour, and the robot's shape makes it easy to hit whilst avoiding the weapon.

Ironside-3: The weapon is slower, less powerful, spins up slower than Carbide's, and they have their srimech taken out. 'Nuff said.

Eruption: They had a pretty arduous task with three spinners, none of which are really a design that works well for them. The driving was good but their was no chance really.

Carbide: Yeah, kinda what I expected. They only way your gonna stop a robot like this is by it damaging itself, it's almost impossible to avoid the bar. I fear we're entering Razer territory where they basically can't be beaten and produce less than thrilling fights, it takes two or three hits before their opponent dies. Still, can't say they weren't deserving champion, they did everything you need to do. Now all we need is an annihilator episode between Roadblock, Panic Attack, Chaos 2, Razer, Tornado, Typhoon 2, Apollo and themselves.

And now for the awards:

Best Design: PP3D: A robot made of 3d-printed parts with a flywheel underneath the robot, making it untouchable.

Best Engineered:
Carbide: Never put a foot wrong, unrivalled weapon power and impenetrable armour

Most Original Entry:
Ms Nightshade. The first case of a full body axe.

Sportsmanship award: Nuts 2. A team that's in it purely for entertainment purposes, despite the fact that their robot could've been deadly if it worked properly, always willing for help out other teams in need.

Most Promising Newcomer: Concussion: Very few teams have made the grand final in their debut season, well-driving, capable of dealing solid damage.

Overall I don't think this season was a good as the last; too many spinners. Far too many robots got hit once and died. In the olden days robots didn't limp into the arena and flywheels such as Hypno-Disc and S3 were able to sustain the fights whilst still dealing outrageous damage. Their comparative rarity was the one of the reasons Razer was unstoppable too. X-Terminator and Typhoon 2 were the only successful spinners in Series 7, and they still ate their way through heats and semi-finals dominated by flippers. I'm not sure if we had single fight this series that went the full distance with both robots still working. For next series they need to have fewer spinners; it's impossible to compete with them now.

For next series, entanglement devices designed to jam up spinners will be made legal again to combat the influx of powerful spinners.

Finally got to see the episode I saw filmed. Absolutely amazing, and Carbide were insanely good, totally deserved the title. It's going to take someone special to stop them now their clutch has been sorted out.

Hypno-Disc have expressed in returning, Chaos 2 and George Francis absolutely not.

That's a shame regarding Chaos/George, although it's been a long time and would have to be a new robot as I suggested to take things up to the current notch, not sure that old polycarbonate shell would last long. Hypno-disc boys might come up with something interesting though, still a relatively unique spinner design, though it needs something more substantial (or at least better protected) than those tiny wheels. I agree that there were less thrills and spills in this season than the last, but it's staggering how powerful and destructive the robots are getting. That shrapnel embedded in the wall today kinda illustrated that.

That's a shame regarding Chaos/George, although it's been a long time and would have to be a new robot as I suggested to take things up to the current notch, not sure that old polycarbonate shell would last long. Hypno-disc boys might come up with something interesting though, still a relatively unique spinner design, though it needs something more substantial (or at least better protected) than those tiny wheels. I agree that there were less thrills and spills in this season than the last, but it's staggering how powerful and destructive the robots are getting. That shrapnel embedded in the wall today kinda illustrated that.

Because Chaos 2 and Hypno-Disc were the first of their kind it naturally means they're one of the worst. Chaos 2 was small with flat sides and a gaping ground clearance everywhere except the flipper blade. It had fairly decent armour but the rear was covered with a thin layer of plastic which was breached by Razer, Shunt and Dominator 2 in a live event. It's often said that they got worse as it went on because they didn't change the robot; they did, but just got caught in the wrong place at the wrong time. In series 5, when the weight limit went up to 100kg George put better batteries in and new rams which were about twice the size of the originals, greatly increasing the power of the flipper, it just ran out gas against Bigger Brother, and was cornered by Shunt and thrown out by Dantomkia.

Hypno-Disc had exposed wheels, very little pushing power and large amount of body that could be hit whilst avoiding the disc that is not very well armoured. Every year they improved the disc power, but as they got stronger so did their opponents. In series 3, 4 and 5 they ate through everyone, but in series 6 even with a disc that was heavier and faster than in previous years it mostly just bounced off other robots and did more damage to itself.

Chaos 2 would fair well against anything this series that wasn't a spinner, Hypno-Disc could deal damage but would most certainly take more.

The only problem with the series really is that there was one dominant robot in each episode, which made the heat final a formality. That's why the best heat final was Thor vs Concussion, where neither were that much better than the other. It meant you knew the result before, but well done to the producers to drawing them apart as it made the Grand Final episode really really good. It's going to take something special, or chronic bad luck for Carbide's reliability to stop them.

Really liked Eruption last night, went up against the best of the series and just took them all on, gutsy performance 👍

I was very pleased to see Ironside3 finish third after the controversy last series. Ah well, roll on Series 10! Filming starts in mid-May.

Wow didn't think it would be that soon, that means there could be two series in one year...

Yep. I think they have a 3 year lease on the warehouse, so they're going to chuck out series' while they have viewers who want to watch.

I seem to remember them saying there were changes to regulations for the next series (what the robots can and cannot have etc), has anyone got that info anywhere?

So I've just come back from 2 days of filming. All I can say is, this series is going to be incredible! The format is different, and sounds very interesting, but I won't go further. This is not going to be a series you want to miss.

I would've loved to have gone this series but I just got back from a stag do. It was in Edinburgh but there wasn't any way of working it around it.

We had Ed Hoppitt from Team Storm come to give a talk about Robot Wars to our the Cubs and Scouts in our Scout group this evening, as he's a friend of one of our Cub leaders. He brought along some bits of Storm 2, including the front wedge, a side panel and a thus-far unused (on TV) 18kg vertical spinner, as well as a 3D printer (the white box on the right) printing a fleur-de-lis during the evening. About 50 kids from our group turned up, and several parents just happened to stay too. Upshot is that I now have to organise a mini-Robot Wars for next term. Apologies for the potato camera (not mine):

Storm 2.jpg

So, the first episode of the new series will be broadcast on October 22nd. The competitor list has been released too, and includes a four-way clusterbot!

The format has changed too and become extremely confusing but it includes a 10-WAY WILD CARD BATTLE :drool:

Last edited:
Think we've found out why the house robots are always aggressive towards contestants.

They hate doing chores. They hate that song. And they despise making toast.

Less than a week to go.

The full draw has not been officially announced (you can find it online if you look hard enough, but don't post it here for anyone who doesn't want to know.) The first two weeks have been officially announced though. This has been added to the RWW page.
http://robotwars.wikia.com/wiki/Robot_Wars:_Series_10
Two more videos have also been produced. They do contain clips of the new series if you're wanting to avoid spoilers.

Latest series starts tonight.

Cant watch it as it clashes with the Grand Prix but will tape it and watch it tomorrow night.

Latest series starts tonight.

Cant watch it as it clashes with the Grand Prix but will tape it and watch it tomorrow night.
I know, that clash is really annoying. I'll be watching the GP, and switching to my recording of RW as soon as the podium is finished.

Apollo and Behemoth on tonight, plus a robot by the name of Donald Thump!

That was one of the best Heat Finals I have ever seen, and I have seen all of them! The new format is really good, and works a lot better than the Head-to-Heads.

Awesome episode. This series is a must watch.
Finally Behemoth win a heat! I didn't think they would be able to beat Apollo, but that was a classy pitting in the end. Phwoah! Loving this.

Back