Robot WarsTV 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 593 comments
I'd love to see a robot come through the 10 way and win it. That would be quite something.

Out of the confirmed finalists it's got to be Nuts 2 and then after that one of the old series robots for nostalgia.

So yeah hoping for a few miracles there! Not long now 2 and half hours...

Last edited:
HYPE!

Just be careful anyone looking at this thread later if you do miss the final, as we are likely to discuss it soon after.

Less than 15 minutes to go. :D

Even if Nuts 2 falls early on, it’ll still be the number 6 seed at the very least.

Behemoth will be either number 5 or 4 seed by tonight’s end.

Those 2 I’m pretty sure will happen, especially if they get put against Carbide (both of whom have an opportunity for revenge with.:P), but that 10 bot rumble will be the unpredictable variable in this equation.

Brace yourself folks, carnage is coming. ;)

The Eruption driver is like the Schumacher of Robot Wars. Win at all costs.

Hiding in the corner whilst everyone else was having a go wasn't very sporting.

What a battle though!

You ever have that experience where something brilliant just happened and you actually give a standing ovation to respect it?

That final was the prime example of that. :cheers:

Well done to Eruption I wasn't happy with their tactics in the 10 way but after a little more tactics in their first knockout they really hit their stride at the right point of the competition. To survive that much head on damage from Carbide was quite something and they're deserved winners of probably the most competitive series ever.

There is going to be another series right?

Probably one of the best finishes to probably one of the best series of Robot Wars.

Congrats to Eruption for finally fulfilling the dream. :cheers:

NO WAY HAVE NUTS JUST BEATEN CARBIDE!!!

That was a shocker, but great tactics from Nuts to win over Behemoth and Carbide.

It goes to show how much of a difference that chain guard modification made when Nuts faced Carbide again.

I've not seen a machine take such a battering and still run since Bigger Brother! What a machine Eruption is! What a stressful episode, but such a great effort from all of the teams tonight!

So the grand final in review.

The 10 bot rumble lived up to the hype and probably set a record for most robots in the pit at once. :lol:

Eruption played it smart and hanged back and picked off anyone who survived the initial onslaught.

The fact that they mentioned that both Nuts and Behemoth had a grudge against Carbide was the cherry on the top of that battle and as for the battle itself...

A (former) joke bot BEAT Carbide, not survived it. :eek:

That flail is upon reflection, more destructive than you expect because it can hit parts of a bot that aren’t as armoured due to normal weapons being unable to hit them.

Heck it did what Ironside 3 couldn’t do and killed the bar spinner. :bowdown:

Unsung hero of the bout though goes to the clusterbot that pitted Behemoth. 👍

Second group battle was also brilliant as Eruption once again hanged back and then got stuck in when Rapid came a knocking.

Rapid gets bonus style points on the backflip self right altough that flip snapped the elastic to its flipper which would eventually catch up with them when they tried to self right and the flipper ended up out of place to do so.

As for Magnetar, a Srimech that works once ain’t a great Srimech, the death drum put a good showing in mind. ;)

The redemption round of Behemoth and Magnetar was a close and tense one really that could’ve gone either way, Magnetar had radio issues and then Behemoth had drive issues due to damage and looked to be going out, but again a srimech that works only once makes not a good srimech and one well timed flip later and Magnetar was out.

Carbide shockingly was having to fight to stay in the final and was up against Rapid and again, could’ve gone either way, but one too many hits from Carbide caused something in Rapid to short out big time and ended up out fog of warring Thor with all the smoke billowing out of it. :lol:

And then Rapid, the most expensive bot in the competition caught fire to add salt to the wound, but they went out in a blaze of smoke and glory. :D

Semi final time and it’s now Carbide’s turn for revenge against the robot that took revenge on it for the beating it took in series 8, still with me on this? :P

Carbide for the first time had to modify itself to take on Nuts 2 which in itself is amazing, by using a piece of the now smouldering Rapid as a“Nut Guard”, Carbide dealt a familiar beating to Nuts 2 by tearing off the flails and part of the frame itself, kept both wheels this time, but the clusterbot once again got bullied by Carbide. :D

Eruption v Behemoth or to give it a better name, Behemoth pinball. :sly:

Behemoth got launched, flipped and rolled about the arena by Eurption, who was feeling like an actual pinball wizard( minus the whole deaf, dumb and blind part. :P).

And then the grand final and strong case of deja vu. ( No Eurobeat please:lol:)

Carbide and Eruption definitely have had a rough fight getting to this point, Eruption had lost to Carbide in its heat and had to survive the 10 bot rumble just to get another crack at Carbide.

Carbide won its heat, but it was no walk in the park this year as Gabriel 2 put in its best fight and gave Carbide quite a few headaches to patch up afterwards and then losing out to Nuts 2(!!) put them again on the back foot.

As the match itself, all 3 three finals have been Carbide against a flipper and speaking of deja vu, the weapon wasn’t at 100% like in series 8 and Eruption was more durable this time around and survived to another grand final judges decision.

And the NEW Robot Wars champion of the U.K.

Eruption!! :cheers:

10/10 Best Grand Final to date. 👍👍

Edit: The top ten robot seedings as they are and in my opinion.

1st: Eruption
2nd: Carbide
3rd: Behemoth
4th: Nuts 2
5th: Rapid
6th: Magnetar
7th: Apollo
8th: Terrorhurtz
9th: Big Nipper
10th: Thor

Last edited:
It was a brilliant final and the best singular episode of Robot Wars probably ever! 👍

Huge Congratulations to Michael and Eruption, great machine driven by a great driver and very worthy winners. :cheers:

Every battle tonight was brilliant and it had everything, Nuts 2 beating Carbide was quite staggering.

Wow! What a final, 10 way fight was as good as I thought it would be and every fight after was top notch. I am made up for Eruption as well, not many can say they have fulfilled their childhood dream.

Hiding in the corner whilst everyone else was having a go wasn't very sporting.

When you've got a limited supply of CO2 what else are you supposed to do? Look at Apollo, they made the mistake of going in all guns blazing and by the end they didn't even have enough power to self right. It had nothing to do with be sporting really, they simply chose the right tactics and won the series as a result.

This is too much, it feels like back when I was a mere 11-12 year-old watching Chaos 2 vs Pussycat or Tornado vs Razer...

Track-Tion: We all knew they would go first, would've been nice to at least see them go out of the arena.

Expulsion: Not really sure why they decided to drive straight into that gaping pit.

Iron-Awe 6: And once again the flipper wasn't working, not really anything they could do.

Concussion: Can't remember if they got pushed in or went in themselves, but yeah, they possible could've won this.

Sabretooth: Same deal as with Concussion, though they were very aggressive from the outside.

Thor: Got thrown around a lot, every type of robot they hate was in there.

Big Nipper: They were very clever in choosing the pincers for this. The flywheel would've been more entertaining but would've drained the battery. I don't recall seeing them go into the pit, I saw them very close to it when Thor went in but Jonathan never said anything and we didn't see it. Oh well.

Terrorhurtz: They ran out of steam very fast, and took a real battering from the others. I would have been very angry if Sir Killalot had dumped them out when they were quite clearly still mobile, though barely.

Apollo: This could've been either them or Eruption, but the simple fact is they went in too heavy too early and used up the gas, and also took a lot of damage from Sabretooth and Concussion.

That was pretty manic, though not quite the carnage I was anticipating. I thought we might see a new record for most robots out of the arena in one fight, especially if Iron-Awe 6's flipper had been working, but they ALL ended up in the pit! The closest we've got to something like this was the grand final of the First Wars, and considering the standard of the robots at the time it was actually a very good fight. They need to do this again next series!

Magnetar: Really they should have won that melee, Eruption was hanging by a thread. But once again the gremlins returned with reception problems and a srimech channelling it's inner Diotoir and only working once...

Rapid: If you can't win, at least be entertaining! Chompalot going up in flames was just tragic, but this had a bravado about it, and I had no idea that electrical fires could produce so much smoke! That armour appears not to be as strong as it seems. Josh didn't really seem bothered that it was wrecked, but then he has so much money he can just build another one...

Nuts 2: They beat Carbide! This robot has improved enormously, has an aura of Stinger about it; a dangerous robot that's very hard to grab hold of. I knew they wouldn't win when Carbide put the nut guard on. Strengthen that ring and they'll be good to go next time around!

Behemoth: They clawed their way through this. Got unlucky with the pit, broke down against Magnetar but fortunately they broke down harder, against Eruption though they must have bent the scoop at the start cause after the first flip they didn't get under them again, and when your opponent is a better driver than you (personally I've never considered the Behemoth team to be brilliant drivers, they often lose after their opponents capitalise on driving errors, or their very slow srimech), there's not really much you can do except try not to get thrown out. If would've liked to see a third-place play-off against Nut 2 like the old days.

Carbide: The robot's getting old and people are starting to build with them in mind, though their record is pretty flawless, never finishing outside the top 2. Rapid got perilously close to beating them. They were smoking in the final and the weapon stopped briefly, but for most of the fight they were mobile and the bar was running, so I'm not sure why the kept running away.

Eruption: He's finally done it! Michael was the only one to use any logic and common sense in the 10-way melee by saving the batteries and gas. I'm a bit at odds about them being champions and really they should not have won against Rapid and Magnetar. If they had they would have probably beaten Behemoth in the redemption battle anyway and then faced Magnetar again, who knows what would have then happened. In the final he was once again very sensible; only flipping when necessary (waiting for a good hit as John Reid would say), and consistently harassing them, all the while keeping the front facing Carbide. The robot and Michael's driving style reminds me of Chaos 2; very calculated and controlled, not just flipping randomly, using the arena well (and the fence).

This was a pretty mental series. The format is much better. What they need for next year is to remove the fog of war, increase the number of heats to either 12 or 16 (with seedings), at which point there are two semi-finals which could either use the current format or the classic losers' melee one, and maybe something different if it's eight per episode, and a third-place play-off in the grand final.

And now, may as well do my pick for the classic award categories:

Best Design: Carbide, Vulture, Coyote, Hobgoblin.

WINNER: Coyote

This robot looks like something I'd have drawn up as a six-year old. Could've come from the same planet as Matilda, awesome steampunk look, great paint job.

Best Engineered: Carbide, Big Nipper, Rapid, Nuts 2, Magnetar.

WINNER: Rapid

No real contest when you consider the amount of money that went into this, and how well-sculpted and pristine the end result was.

Most Original Entry: Donald Thump, Gabriel 2, Bucky the Robot, The Kegs.

WINNER: Bucky the Robot

Anything that is meant to be a scaled-up version of something very small will always get a thumbs up from me.

Sportsmanship Award: Donald Thump, Aftershock, Vulture, Nuts 2

WINNER: Donald Thump

The robot, it's driver (and the headwear-based merchandise being sold) kinda speaks for itself...

Most Promising Newcomer: The Swarm, Vulture, Androne 4000

WINNER: Androne 4000

Not really much to choose from here as there weren't many new robots, not were they particularly great. However Androne 4000 gets it for being very well-driven and actually managing the grab hold of opponents.

Thought I'd run some counterpart awards too...

Worst Design: Track-Tion
Worst Engineered: Iron-Awe 6
Least Original Entry: Sabretooth
Unsportsmanship Award: Apex
Least Promising Newcomer: The Kegs

I’d think an Extreme series would be pretty good these days.

Flipper Frenzy would be utter chaos and I dare say that a war of the spinners would provide a fair few thrills as well.

EDIT: plus how could I forget about the House Robot Rebellions?

Parts will be flying, but it could very well much be limited to a 20 second match of moving parts, followed by no spinning for the rest of the game.
Sure, there would have to be a series of 20 fights featuring all of the flywheels in the UK and probably Europe. Probably totaling about 10 minutes of extremely explosive fight time.

Still, for the time being I shall at least be happy that we're seeing Diotoir back in the action for the International special.

DQyIleHUEAA33FF.jpg

This was kinda meh.

Rabid M8: I'll be honest, based on its size I'm surprised the hammer was actually capable of swinging over. This is a terrible robot, there's no power in the weapon.

TMHWK: It's nice to see them get another chance to show themselves off, but it's just not that good. In the Terrorhurtz fight they missed virtually every hit, managed to drive themselves into the pit in the first fight, and was just all over the place. The axe took a few hits before breaking off, didn't look very strong anyway as it's a 15-year-old design.

Cobra: Interesting how they emasculated the claw, and how between series' 9 and 10 it appears to have been bought out by new people. Their driving was by far the best, the robot is very hard to catch and has a lot of pushing power.

Gabriel 2: I think maybe they just didn't care about this. The driving was all over the place, they got themselves stuck in with Shunt and lost a wheel. Technically they shouldn't have lost against Rabid M8 as they hadn't been counted out, and they could still just about move about. I think it was done to stop Team UK winning early.

Sabretooth: They knocked out Rabid M8, but they put no effort in at all against Cobra. You could say that they were trying to get around to the wheels, but there was little indication of that as they just ran away the entire fight, despite being the only robot in the show capable of doing serious damage.

Terrorhurtz: They were on it here, well-driven, and basically every hit was on target.

Diotoir: This was by far the worst robot here. Not a single hit with the disc, and appeared to basically be there just to get set on fire. They were the team captain yet cumulatively barely lasted 30 seconds.

Apollo: Apollo did what they do, kinda struggled to grab hold of Cobra, and got so close to getting Sir Killalot over.

This was a pretty lousy episode. There was an insane amount of filler and build-up for what were pretty lousy fights. And the "rest of the world" (i.e. Western Europe) team was made from fairly average robots, despite the fact there are ones, especially from America that can match British robots. Sort of felt like the International League, which was just Razer vs some boxes. I hope next week's might be better as the robots look more promising.

The issue is that the powerful American robots are all contracted to Battlebots, and therefore are not allowed to fight on Robot Wars. There may be powerful robots out there, but they're just not permitted to compete on this televised show.

Yeah it wasn't great, wasn't impressed with the ROW team but I quite liked Cobra, Diotoir did pretty much nothing apart from getting on fire for our entertainment.

The one thing that bothered me throughout was that the team captains were in the arena with the teams during the fights giving out 'advice', did they need to be there? I'd be a bit annoyed if there was someone in my ear carping on whilst I'm supposed to be concentrating on the fight, best example of this is the lady from TMHWK telling Pete from Diotoir to stop talking during one of their fights.

Also why were Team UK all wearing Apollo jackets?! Its Team UK not Team Apollo...

Back