Robot WarsTV 

• Thread starter Jimlaad43
  • 593 comments
Yeah, i was at that Apex battle. What a moment!

Safe to say it just overtook PP3D for Biggest Glass Cannon in Robot Wars. :lol:

That was Icewave levels of self destruction and then the bar obliterating the bulletproof wall was the icing on the cake. ;)

Safe to say it just overtook PP3D for Biggest Glass Cannon in Robot Wars. :lol:

That was Icewave levels of self destruction and then the bar obliterating the bulletproof wall was the icing on the cake. ;)
Having just found the Icewave clip you were referring to, no, this was nothing like that. This was a whole lot bigger than Icewave.

Apex: Too powerful for its own good. Didn't really get to see what it could do because apparently the bar is not bolted down tight enough. Not a big fan of Craig Danby either, has never appeared very humble or with my sportsmanship.

Bucky the Robot: That wedge is way too steep to be effective, though they did at least get a hold on Vulture. Without the arena flipper they could've won that fight. It's beginning to ruin fights like the floor dildos in series 3 by unfairly eliminating robots.

Vulture: An interesting design, but basically completely ineffective, one of the least durable robots we've had. Having a spinner on an arm is a novel idea, but the spinner itself needs to be powerful for it to work.

Track-Tion: Somehow I get the feeling they'll have had the easiest run to the wild card melee. They basically did nothing in any of their fights, and it didn't help that after the first round they didn't bother putting the arm on, so they weren't even prepared to do anything. The fight with Vulture could've been quite interesting, but I guess we'll never know. They won't last five seconds in the wild card melee.

Terrorhurtz: Well the driving has improved, feels more like the Terrorhurtz of yonder year, but let's be honest this was a very easy heat for them, especially without any effective spinners, but they had no chance against Rapid with that ground clearance.

Rapid: Good to see that they've ironed-out most of the problems, and that flipper has some serious power behind it, but it's annoying that they don't seem to be interested in being entertaining or putting on a spectacle, they refused to use the flipper except to throw robots out, which if their fights had gone to judges' decisions would have counted against them, Chaos 2 and Firestorm at least threw them around before throwing them out.

A fairly disappointing heat for me, too many problems. Three robots with no power, and three robots with too much. It could've done with swapping someone like Aftershock from the previous heat for Vulture or Bucky for example. And I didn't like that semi-final draw of pairing-off robots that had already fought, why not put Track-Tion vs Terrorhurtz and Vulture vs Rapid?

Also I'm surprised that the judges didn't take what happened with Apex more seriously. They were up in arms when Typhoon 2 twice smashed the arena wall, despite the outer cage being unaffected, but this time a near 40kg bar went straight through the first one and then bounced off the one protecting the audience. God only knows what would've happened if it had gone through both.

Also I'm surprised that the judges didn't take what happened with Apex more seriously. They were up in arms when Typhoon 2 twice smashed the arena wall, despite the outer cage being unaffected, but this time a near 40kg bar went straight through the first one and then bounced off the one protecting the audience. God only knows what would've happened if it had gone through both.

Honestly, I think all they could really do is laugh and feel the relief that the bar didn't do both the screens and injure the audience or crew.

I'm sure that they've actually reassessed the materials and construction of the arena and season four/The Eleventh War should see double-glazed arena wall screens. The bar on Apex can't have been a serious idea for a fight winner, though - not by any stretch of the imagination.

Any shots landed with that thing would have just sent the victim into the far wall and warped the frame of Apex into a state where even the 'small' mass of Hardox could cause extensive internal damage or just fall off in any of the following fights.

Overall, though, I should hope that Apex represents an end of sorts for the suicide-bomber type of machine that doesn't really have any conceivable chance of winning anything.

Having just found the Icewave clip you were referring to, no, this was nothing like that. This was a whole lot bigger than Icewave.

True, Apex really set the bar (pun intended:P) for how destructive a spinner can be if the bot using it can’t survive its forces and tears itself to bits.

I mean Carbide sent a side panel flying off Aftershock and into the glass and now Apex pretty much threw its spinner right through it and completely trashed it.

And on the subject of Icewave, I’m guessing this was the clip you found?

Rapid and TerrorHurtz were the only standouts from this episode really, Rapid are a mini, shiny Chaos 2 and it was the best I've ever seen TerrorHurtz perform.

Track-Tion were very lucky to get through to the 10-way but with the likes of Eruption, Apollo and TerrorHurtz in there too they wont last very long, still a great story though that four kids with very little experience can make it that far. 👍

That Apex moment was insane!

Finally caught up on this series.

Heat 2's been the best so far, but Apex's rapid disassembly procedure was mental in terms of standouts moments.

As soon as I saw Apex, I knew it was going to rip itself apart, but maybe not quite as spectacularly as it did.

Rapid looks quite boring, and its flipper seems to take an age to come back down. Something will rip its insides out later on.

As soon as I saw Apex, I knew it was going to rip itself apart, but maybe not quite as spectacularly as it did.

Rapid looks quite boring, and its flipper seems to take an age to come back down. Something will rip its insides out later on.
By something, do you mean this?
latest

Thing is I saw it, but then I saw Abs' post and thought it was a running gag of some sort.

That'll teach me for being impulsive.

Heat number four tonight, among those wrecking havoc will be Iron Awe 6, Nuts 2 and last years grand finalists Concussion.

So of those 3 mentioned so far, I’ll give my predictions on them.

Concussion is the obvious favourite for this heat, last series wasn’t plain sailing for them as I think they had a few problems in the battles and were then served up to Carbide and Ironside 3 in the Grand Final.

If they have ironed out the kinks they should be in the heat final at the very least, but could very well win this heat. 👍

Nuts 2 is an unknown quantity in this heat, got butchered by Carbide in series 8, fly wheeled out the arena by Matilda in series 9.

With entanglement weapons allowed and with their spin speed raised much higher and with the inclusion of a ‘Meltybrain’ which allows them to move AND still spin, Nuts 2 can’t be counted out right away as a potential 10 bot rumble contender, not after the performance Gabriel 2 put in against Carbide. :D

Iron Awe 6, one of many variations of Iron Awe and it’s team are definitely not one to underestimate.

Its predecessor Iron Awe 5 won the UK live circuit championship in both 2008 and 2010 and finishing runner up in this years championship and was inducted into the Combat Robot Hall Of Fame in 2009.

Go all the way back to Series 7 and to Iron Awe 2.1 and it’s major upset against Bigger Brother which was the highest seeded robot to be thrown out the arena.

If Concussion wasn’t your favourite for this heat, it’s probably Iron Awe 6. :P

Of the 3 (4) other robots in this heat, he’s my view on them.

The Kegs: A clusterbot with a 10kg bar spinner each and half a beer keg as the armour.

Clusterbots this series haven’t had the greatest track record, one got thrown over the wall by Apollo, one got fired up into the lighting rig by Big Nipper so I kinda predict the same level of one sidedness for The Kegs, if it’s Iron Awe they fight, ones going flying, if it’s Concussion, then there’s gonna be a heck of a mess in the future. :lol:

Tauron: Packing a vertical bar spinner and maybe a grudge against Concussion for knocking them out last series, this one has some promise with a 18kg bar spinner spinning at 3,600rpm and the ability to run both ways up.

Originally they weren’t even gonna compete, but due to Triforce withdrawing they have a chance at payback against Concussion, one to keep an eye on. ;)

And finally, Androne 4000, A crusher with a 4000psi ram giving a total of 8 tons of force.

Not too sure about this one, there was a time a Crusher bot could be hard to fight and harder to resist if it clamped down on you, but these days weapons are stronger and armour is tougher.

That’s not to say that Androne 4000 couldn’t surprise me and cut through armour like butter, if it’s effective then i’ll be pleasantly surprised, if not then at least they tried. :)

So my safe bets are on Iron Awe or Conncusion winning the heat and Tauron finishing 3rd.

Well that heat just torn my predictions to shreds. :P

So we’re 3 for 3 on clusterbots getting absolutely bullied in the arena with one of the kegs getting its weapon torn off in its group battle then both kegs getting brutalised by Concussion in the redemption battle, not bad in all fairness for something made out of wood and a beer keg. ;)

Iron Awe 6 was the big letdown mostly because of it not being able to use the flipper, but experience was on its side and it salvaged a spot in the Rumble. 👍

Tauron had the weapon and abilities to make it to the semi finals, but were beaten by what I can imagine was a close judges verdict to...

Androne 4000, guess it proved me wrong in that crushers aren’t the right way to go, luck wasn’t on its side against Nuts 2, but 4th place in the heat isn’t bad for a first timer using a crusher design. 👍

Concussion, the heat favourites had a rough start after a well placed hit by Nuts 2 and then pincered by a immobile Androne 4000, The Kegs felt the angry drum of Concussion with a brutal battering and then they just had to flip over the flipper-less Iron Awe to get to the final and battle the shock finalist...

Nuts 2, Oh my, what a difference a few upgrades can do. :eek:

Of course luck did play a hand in this with one of the maces damaging one of Concussion’s tyres and then slicing Androne’s hydraulic line, plus the ‘Nuts Guards’ on Concussion jamming a wheel up and stopping them from running inverted.

But to take it all into consideration, Nuts 2 is a different machine compared to last time, spinning much faster and the Melty Brain upgrade helped massively to move about while retaining energy in the maces.

Could Nuts 2 take the fight to Carbide and get revenge for series 8? Normally that would be laughable, but do remember, Gaberil 2 SURVIVED against Carbide and Nuts 2 has WON a heat. :bowdown:

At this point, I can’t say anything for certain. :lol:

Without those Nuts guards, Concussion would have lost the final in the same way it did round 1, there were about 3 good hits on the wheels which would have done nasty stuff.

Without those Nuts guards, Concussion would have lost the final in the same way it did round 1, there were about 3 good hits on the wheels which would have done nasty stuff.

I agree completely, When those maces get up to speed they are surprisingly destructive for what they are.

It’s no longer the joke bot of robot wars, it looks like one, the team dress like one, but like all good jokes, it’s got one hell of a punchline. :sly:

I’m willing to bet that almost no one had Nuts 2 down to win this heat. :)

Yeah, Nuts can now put itself in with robots like Firestorm, Bigger Brother, X-Terminator, Eruption, Hypno-Disc and Ironside3 as Grand Finalists. Better than Dominator 2, Thermidor 2, Dantomkia, Fluffy, Spawn Again, Wild Thing and Wheely Big Cheese as they all never made the Grand Final

The Kegs: It's a clusterbot made from beer barrels with a wooden base plate.

Tauron: Very disappointing, the weapon is alright, but the driving was awful, especially since spinners don't necessarily need to be driven particularly well as you can hit your opponent basically anywhere and do damage. Realistically they should have won that opening melee, they were doing damage, but you can't just stop and assume you've won when Iron-Awe quite clearly moved after them.

Androne 4000: I'm very impressed, by the far the most competent crusher we've seen since the revamp, and for a newcomer the driving was excellent. Their first fight was ruined by the floor flipper, and I can see how they beat Tauron as despite taking far more damage they were really well-controlled and aggressive. They now need to work on the reliability, as it ground to a halt in each fight, and maybe find a better way of concealing the hydraulics!

Iron-Awe 6: This has to be a record for most success without a working weapon. God knows how a team as experienced as that couldn't get the flipper to work once, especially considering flippers aren't exactly rare weapons, or particularly mechanically complex. Their performance in the 10-way depends entirely on if they get it working, cause at the moment there's not much to go on. I've never seen on the live circuit so I don't know how potent the weapon is, but they kept calling them the daddy of flippers, to which I say:

hqdefault.jpg

Concussion: Smashing up The Keg doesn't get you many brownie points with me, they were just unfortunate to be up against what is perhaps the ultimate spinner-killer, speaking of...

Nuts 2: That's what I'm talking about! I don't think I've ever seen a robot improve so much in such a short space of time. It didn't really have to do or move much as it's basically untouchable when up to speed, and the tactics are great having the clusterbots district the opponent whilst it spins up to speed (not the clusterbot teams save for Gemini: That's how you fight, don't just scatter and get picked off one by one) . I'm really eager to see them face Carbide, those exposed wheels look pretty tasty...

I've said it before and I've said it again. They should only use the arena flipper after a robot's been immobilised. It's interfering with too many fights and unfairly immobilising loads of robots (but really in this day and age everyone should have a working self-righting mechanism). This episode was alright, the only fully-realised fight for me was Tauron vs Androne 4000. The others all ended very quickly or involved robots only half working.

Yeah, Nuts can now put itself in with robots like Firestorm, Bigger Brother, X-Terminator, Eruption, Hypno-Disc and Ironside3 as Grand Finalists. Better than Dominator 2, Thermidor 2, Dantomkia, Fluffy, Spawn Again, Wild Thing and Wheely Big Cheese as they all never made the Grand Final

Not having semi-finals to get through helps mind.

Last edited:
I always thought of the daddy of flippers being Cassius after that unforgettable first self righting. 6:36 below

Chaos 2 really harnessed the potential of a flipper though and set a trend for years.

Technically the first high-powered flipper was Recyclopse (managed to flip Matilda). But Chaos 2 was the primary inspiration for the rear-hinged flippers that followed.

Pretty good show, Nuts 2 was very impressive, Concussion was a bit meh as was Iron awe 6, the team captain from Concussion seems like an arse.

In terms of Iron-Awe being the daddy of flippers, it was discussed at filming in the initial interview that I heard. Basically, Iron-Awe team introduced new technology to the flippers that made them an awful lot better. All the rest of the flippers since have used that technology. That is where the phrase was brought in, but it wasn't broadcast, so creating the confusion.

So two bits of news.

Firstly in case you didn't know Robot Wars isn't on tomorrow night, BBC 2 have got the ATP Tennis Finals on instead, Robot Wars back next week.

Secondly Angela Scanlon yesterday announced that she's pregnant, congrats to her and her husband. 👍

Robot Wars back on tonight with the final heat.

Expulsion, Coyote, Thor, Magnetar, Hobgoblin and Push To Exit are taking part.

The Series grand final is next Sunday.

So my preview and predictions for tonight.

Thor: Wlidcard pick in series 8 and is the big veteran of this heat, hopefully the issues with his axe and Co2 system have been ironed out as that cost him last series, could very well make it to the 10 bot rumble in 3rd.

Push To Exit: Didn’t have the greatest start last series after being Ko’d by PP3D, packing a front hinged flipper its the only robot in this heat to be packing a flipper.

If they’ve toughened up the internals, I predict it’ll make it to the semis at the very least depending on who it’s against.

Coyote: Another crusher for series 10, after getting beaten by Crackers & Smash, flipped out by Apollo and then butchered by Carbide last series, it plans on bringing some crunch to this weeks battles, only it’s up against 3 spinners, an axe bot and front hinged flipper, not exactly easier competition on the face of it. :D

Hopefully they’ve ditched the chainsaw to focus on the crusher or to use some anti spinner entanglements, if it all goes well it could make the semis like Androne 4000 did, but with 3 spinners to consider, it could also fall in the redemption battles.

Expulsion: the wildcard for this heat in my eyes, after not doing much last season, they completely redesigned the robot with an emphasis on cutting weight to allow a mini bot in to the battle.

With a sideways mounted vertical spinning weapon, in a similar vein to the dutch robot Twister, it could be surprisingly destructive like Twisters was or next to useless against today’s armour of choice.

It could do very well or fall flat on its face in the redemption round.

Hobgoblin: Hardly worked in its group battle last series, but the drum spinner has serious dark horse potential IF it works properly this time, if all goes well, it could make it to heat final at best and 3rd place at worst.

Magnetar: Pulsar 2.0, former grand finalist and also a history of reliability problems.

It’s drum spinner has serious speed behind it and the robot itself is quite agile, but the elephant in the room is that reliability, if the bugs have been ironed out it’s got the best chance at winning this heat IMO, but that’s a big IF.

So here my locked in predictions.

Expulsion and Coyote to fall in the redemption battles.

Push To Exit and Thor to fall in the semis, but Thor wins the 3rd place playoff.

Hobgoblin to fall in the heat final against Magnetar.

I fully expect the show to flip the script on my predictions. :lol:

I'm gonna go for Thor to win tonight on the basis that Magnetar probably won't work as Pulsar never did.

Latest Posts

Back